Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Extended workflow plugin with in-game UI, inventory dashboard and history charts  (Read 76698 times)

Viruk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This is great. I'm still trying to grasp everything I can do with it. But it's a perfect non-intrusive addition to the game.

You can barely notice it under your shop menu, and it lets you get rid of all the annoyance of constantly setting up major tasks.
Everytime theres a damn siege, I have to reset all my carpentry tasks, no more with this!

You sir are a scholar and a saint!

The only question is, does this plugin always reset everytime you save, or exit? I can't seem to get the settings to stick.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:30:16 am by Viruk »
May your axe be sharp, and your ale plentiful!

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only question is, does this plugin always reset everytime you save, or exit? I can't seem to get the settings to stick.

The original command-line only plugin has perfectly persistent settings.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll take a look.

I'm actually thinking that since ag's workshop gui is on the way anyway, I might just remove all constraint adding and editing functions from my plugin and just leave the dashboard screen... it would mean less bugs to deal with...
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm actually thinking that since ag's workshop gui is on the way anyway, I might just remove all constraint adding and editing functions from my plugin and just leave the dashboard screen... it would mean less bugs to deal with...

Please do not. At least leave it as an option that one(I) can enable.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just uploaded a new version that fixes this. Please get the new version (v0.3) from: https://github.com/Falconne/dfhack/downloads

It should now persist the data correctly. Let me know if you notice any other problems.

I've also fixed it so it picks up custom reactions like making metal bars and soap, etc. It was ignoring them before.

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is also a reason workflow doesn't just allow any job; for instance, simply enabling Milk and Shear is wrong, because it would improperly copy refs to creatures, which may or may not be safe.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is also a reason workflow doesn't just allow any job; for instance, simply enabling Milk and Shear is wrong, because it would improperly copy refs to creatures, which may or may not be safe.

I'm using the existing validation functionality as much as possible and the lists in the constraint add/edit screen are generated using the same logic that the workflow plugin uses to validate the command line constraints. So there shouldn't be any way through my screens to do something the command line doesn't already allow... if there is then it's a bug.

My workshop UI doesn't allow Milk and Shearing or anything that has item_type::NONE. It just says "Not supported". I figured it was an ok limitation for now.

Essentially all that screen is meant to do is be exactly the same as the command line, except that it provides you with the list of names and automatically filters it to allowed values based on what you select.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:55:51 am by falconne »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least it works here. With some issues, but still works.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Essentially all that screen is meant to do is be exactly the same as the command line, except that it provides you with the list of names and automatically filters it to allowed values based on what you select.

It adds one more essential feature - it provides me with tokens. Otherwise I have no idea where to find those tokens, and yes, I have read the workflow documentation and searched raws a lot, but I still do not see where people get those token syntax...

Viruk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've just uploaded a new version that fixes this. Please get the new version (v0.3) from: https://github.com/Falconne/dfhack/downloads

It should now persist the data correctly. Let me know if you notice any other problems.

I've also fixed it so it picks up custom reactions like making metal bars and soap, etc. It was ignoring them before.

Thank you so much! It actually persists the data now, but I still have to re-enable the workshops every load. However the limit and gap values are saved, so it's a very minor issue to hit T to track.

On your comment about limiting additions and edits. If it's really buggy, it may be a good idea like the other man said, to simply have it possible to be disabled. Or have it marked "Add(buggy)" so people know they're taking a risk. May be an issue with the amount of text though.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you so much! It actually persists the data now, but I still have to re-enable the workshops every load. However the limit and gap values are saved, so it's a very minor issue to hit T to track.

Oh really? That's odd, it was working ok for me. When you load up the save do you see a bunch of red messages in the DFHack console saying "Lost constraint..." etc? If so, can you post your savegame somewhere for me to look at?

Viruk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Oh really? That's odd, it was working ok for me. When you load up the save do you see a bunch of red messages in the DFHack console saying "Lost constraint..." etc? If so, can you post your savegame somewhere for me to look at?

Odder than you might think. I went in to doublecheck I wasn't just being an idiot as I remebered seeing those bunch of red messages at some point. And it turns out the settings were persistent. Everything was there. So I was about to accept my lunacy, when I had an idea. So I hit Esc, and save like I had before to test if the new workflow settings persisted. That brought me back to the main menu, and when I reloaded the save, all the settings needed to be turned on again with T.

Upon exiting the game completely again with ctrl+alt+delete, and restarting dwarf fortress, and loading up my save. The settings were persistent again, not needing T to be turned on. However, once again if I save, exit to main menu, reload save, the settings will need to be turned on with T, but the gap and limit values will persist. However I haven't been able to duplicate any red text.

That should hopefully narrow it down a little for you. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, and I can post my savegame if need be. I am using the lazy newb pack, with the new DFhack installed so I could use this plugin. DFhack just wrote over the DFhack in the main dwarf fortress folder, overwrite the workflow dll with yours, and watched 'er take to the skies!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just an oddity with my installation. But hey I can .rar the whole thing up, and post it somewhere for you if you want.

And as a sideline benefit: if anyone reading this is wondering, yes! it does work with lazy newb pack, just not with original DFhack installed, you need the new one installed "DFHack 0.34.11 r2‎" lazy newb pack comes with "DFHack 0.34.11 r1"

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Odder than you might think. I went in to doublecheck I wasn't just being an idiot as I remebered seeing those bunch of red messages at some point. And it turns out the settings were persistent. Everything was there. So I was about to accept my lunacy, when I had an idea. So I hit Esc, and save like I had before to test if the new workflow settings persisted. That brought me back to the main menu, and when I reloaded the save, all the settings needed to be turned on again with T.

Ah yes now I know what's going on, thanks for the scenario. I tend to use DFHack's quicksave command ingame, instead going to the main menu which is why I didn't notice it.

The missing workflows upon reload is just an illusion, if you unpause the reloaded game and run for at most half a dwarf day, they will all re-appear (or if you go to the DFHack console and type in "workflow" that will make them visible too).

The issue is that when a new game is loaded, the workflow's checking routine must be run at least once before the constraints show up. This happens once every half day. I use a static variable to track if the first run has been done, so that when you normally load the game up for the first time the checking routine is forced to run upon load, instead of having to wait for half a day. So everything's fine if you save, quit, then reload or uses DFHack's quicksave. The problem if you go to the menu, save and reload, is that I didn't reset that static variable upon a map reload, so it thinks the first run has already been done... but if you run for half a day it will all be normal again.

It's a simple fix and I'll do that soon. Thanks for the effort in finding it.

Viruk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I tried it out. Loaded the game, saved, loaded again, typed in workflow, and instantly the numbers pop up. So that's that fixed.
I didn't know dfhack had a quicksave, so thanks for that :)
I was focusing on the playing of the game until a few days ago. I started looking around at plugins, and found yours. Now I think it's integral. Removes literally hours of grinding work, doesn't take you out of the game, lets you get straight to FUN!

This will make losing even more FUN, as resetting your shop settings will be a snap.

Think you could add a profile function? To easily bring your current workflow settings into a new game? Once you did that, it wouldn't matter how buggy add and edit was, as long as you could add them all "once" with the occasinal crash. Once you had a profile set, you'd never have to think about workshops again. You'd have a few profiles, population 50, 100, 150, 200, etc. and you'd just switch them as necessary, and watch your resource tracking charts.

Like my friends sitting beside me playing medieval 2, total war. And he's going city to city setting them up the same way, making the same units. It would be like putting that on an instant set profile, so you can get back to moving units. It's removing the manufacturing grind that plagues many city builders.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:32:37 am by Viruk »

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Think you could add a profile function? To easily bring your current workflow settings into a new game? Once you did that, it wouldn't matter how buggy add and edit was, as long as you could add them all "once" with the occasinal crash. Once you had a profile set, you'd never have to think about workshops again. You'd have a few profiles, population 50, 100, 150, 200, etc. and you'd just switch them as necessary, and watch your resource tracking charts.

I was planning to add that in the future if no one else does... it might be a planned feature in base DFHack. I was going to add a list_export function similar to the one that exists in autobutcher, so you can export the current settings and reimport them in a new save (or replace your existing ones with).

If you're looking for micromanagemt saving plugins I suggest looking at autobutcher... I wouldn't be able to play without that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10