Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472730 times)

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.95 beta) Feather and Flame
« Reply #1200 on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:12 pm »

I'm sure a bunch of spears linked to a lever can do the same job.
Sure, but where's the fun (and Fun) in that?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:14 pm »

Personally I'd be giggling like a mad man because of Steel rangers blundering into a blatant trap.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 06, 2013, 06:33:22 pm »

Personally I'd be giggling like a mad man because of Steel rangers blundering into a blatant trap.
Personally, I'd be giggling like my pony in Lemon because of ghoul reavers being caught in webbed cages and put on display for my ponies to throw rocks at giggle at the ghosties.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 06, 2013, 06:36:44 pm »

*sigh*

If only the [GNAWER] token worked as intended and not just for artifact cages.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 06, 2013, 08:54:43 pm »

Personally, I'd be giggling like my pony in Lemon because of ghoul reavers being caught in webbed cages and put on display for my ponies to throw rocks at giggle at the ghosties.

A goal of mine is to build a giant tower, reclaim, and then stock it with caged ghouls. Then, funnel magma down it. Insta-Hightower. Sure, there is little chance that I could get more than a few dozen ponies ghoulified currantly, and Celestia knows how it would work, but I know how to build towers and A PERSON COULD DREAM.

Unrelated to the mod, I wrote the first chapter of a F:E fanfic.http://www.fimfiction.net/story/74941/fallout-equestria-taking-life-by-the-horns.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:37 am »

Good thinking about Power Armour training, Lycaeon. Removing a problem that leads to people looking for exploits is a very good way to discourage them from using exploits.

Damn it, I had another proposal, but forgot it.
Oh well, I'll go with: Un-nerf the BB guns. They eject their ammo with a strength of 2 (whatever that means) and are pretty much incapable of doing anything. It may be OK for training, but hunters also insist on using them. While their force should be less than a pistol and it seems about consistent with what you usually have in mind when talking about them, some old designs could rival hunting rifles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun and I think a Stable would want them reasonably good.

I remember now, I wanted to talk about Prismatic smelter. While you added and re-balanced reactions to "make iron from ore" and so on, you did that the wrong way around. Those should be "smelt ... ore into bars" instead. That way ores will be processed properly, same as normal smelter AND scrap won't be a super-useful ore that gives 4 iron, 4 copper or 4 of some other metal.
While you're at it, please consider bumping the products of "smelt scrap" to at least guarantee an iron bar per job. Now from smelting it directly 10 times we get (on average) 20 bars, including 6 iron. Using scrap as ore guarantees 40 bars of whatever metal we want.
I believe these two suggestions together will re-balance scrap to be less OP, while still being useful.

> Scrap smelting should be a last alternative if your embark doesn't have iron, it shouldn't REPLACE iron vein mining. .__.
Wit the reaction to "make iron from ore" buffed to 4 bars it now does. It was previously at 1 bar, but would accept magnetite too. That's why the reactions should "smelt ore ..." and not "make metal from ore".
Also, scrap is not a bad ore IRL. It is collected, sorted and smelted. Besides, you want people to want to have a use for scrap, not just use some of it for scrap and leave the rest sitting around forever.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:24:24 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:20 am »

Good thinking about Power Armour training, Lycaeon. Removing a problem that leads to people looking for exploits is a very good way to discourage them from using exploits.

Damn it, I had another proposal, but forgot it.
Oh well, I'll go with: Un-nerf the BB guns. They eject their ammo with a strength of 2 (whatever that means) and are pretty much incapable of doing anything. It may be OK for training, but hunters also insist on using them. While their force should be less than a pistol and it seems about consistent with what you usually have in mind when talking about them, some old designs could rival hunting rifles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun and I think a Stable would want them reasonably good.

On one hand, I love air guns. On the other, I just put in crossbows for my Irregulars in place of BB guns.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 07, 2013, 01:57:41 am »

Scrap smelting should be a last alternative if your embark doesn't have iron, it shouldn't REPLACE iron vein mining. .__.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:15 am »

> Un-nerf the BB guns.
Very well then.

> While you added and re-balanced reactions to "make iron from ore" and so on, you did that the wrong way around. Those should be "smelt ... ore into bars" instead.
Are you suggesting a renaming of the reaction? Smelting ore into bars is what they already do - I can't restrict them to not take scrap metal, as the stuff is considered an ore. I do see your point, however, and the available options; I can reduce the output of the ore smelting reactions at the prismatic smelter to 2 bars, increase the output of smelting scrap directly, or make scrap metal into an item that has a hard output of 2 iron bars and a randomized chance of the remaining bars at both smelters, but won't be considered an ore for direct smelting. What do you guys think?

> Scrap smelting should be a last alternative if your embark doesn't have iron, it shouldn't REPLACE iron vein mining. .__.
Regular metal ores were reduced in quantity, so scrap metal pretty much is the most common source of iron by design. There's certainly enough of it to go around even from low-quality salvage.

In other news, I'm considering adding a perk system a la Fallout 3 and the ones mentioned at the end of each chapter of Fallout:Equestria. Haven't thought of a source yet (Perhaps wasteland survival booklets from trader caravans?), but each pony will be able to learn a single perk that improves effectiveness in combat/trades/various other things. Different perks will be gradually added over multiple versions. Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:12:57 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 07, 2013, 03:34:45 am »

Perks would be awesome if you can get them working.

Also, just found a bug in the normal smelter.  It has the reaction to make pewter bars form ore with a prismatic reaction, so no fuel or talisman needed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:38:41 am by Khenal »
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 07, 2013, 03:37:41 am »

When I see that perks might be added my first thought is: Awesome!
My second thought is: Ah hell, another potential upgrade potion fiasco.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:50 am »

Upgrade potions are only reserved for things that require large resource investments. In any case, I'm thinking it could take place though experience...say, radiation exposure giving a low chance of a radiation resistance perk, and combat over time leading to a damage resistance perk, and so forth. There may be some reaction-based perks, but I'd like to make the system as hands-off as possible.

Edit: Just checked the raws for the pewter smelting reaction, and the [FUEL] tag is there, so I'll have to take a look at it ingame later. It's nice that you got steel power armor though...moods rarely come out with anything useful. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:06:18 am by Lycaeon »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 07, 2013, 03:47:18 am »

So... I just had an armorer get moody and make some steel power armor.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:22 am »

> > Un-nerf the BB guns.
> Very well then.
My general thoughts on guns is that they're fairly weak, but maybe I'm just spoiled by "broken" DF crossbows.

> Smelting stuff
What I had in mind for processing ores is to have something like this for every type of ore:
[REACTION:PRISMATIC_MAGNETITE]
[NAME:smelt magnetite ore]
[BUILDING:SMELTER_PRISM:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:MAGNETITE]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NONE:METAL:IRON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]
If this worked, it would solve all the problems. What you proposed has problems of their own:
> I can reduce the output of the ore smelting reactions at the prismatic smelter to 2 bars
In that case, magma is going to be a preferable option for ores other than scrap. It also won't solve the problem of scrap being super-useful ore of iron, copper and other metals.
> make scrap metal into an item that has a hard output of 2 iron bars and a randomized chance of the remaining bars at both smelters, but won't be considered an ore for direct smelting.
No easy brass and bronze that way and we need sizeable quantities of brass for ammo.

> In other news, I'm considering adding a perk system a la Fallout 3 and the ones mentioned at the end of each chapter of Fallout:Equestria. [...] Any thoughts on this?
1) Sigh, why is it always those blasphemous FPS Fallouts?
2) Another tough choice to make, in addition to only one school of magic.
3) Another column for the spreadsheet and more micro-management.
4) This could actually turn out kinda cool, but the ponies are already more powerful than Dwarves.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:02 am »

> My general thoughts on guns is that they're fairly weak
Their penetration is better than the DF crossbows, especially for the higher calibers, so I don't believe that's the case.

> What I had in mind for processing ores is to have something like this for every type of ore
Ah, that's reasonable. I'll also bump the iron yield of smelting scrap directly at the prismatic smelter. This still leaves the problem of smelting together scrap for large quantities of bronze and brass, but those metals don't provide major combat advantages.

> Sigh, why is it always those blasphemous FPS Fallouts?
The novel had them as well...it took aspects from both the FPS and the original versions.

> Another column for the spreadsheet and more micro-management.
Perks will be obtained through random, uncontrollable events like radiation exposure and so won't need micro-management. I think I'll also allow ponies to gain more than one...they won't be significant boosts in most cases and so can be stacked.

Thanks for the suggestions and the feedback! :)
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 210