Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 478457 times)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.95 beta) Feather and Flame
« Reply #1215 on: January 07, 2013, 05:03:20 am »

So... I just had an armorer get moody and make some steel power armor.

Holy fucking shit are you serious?
The pony wearing that thing will be practically invincible!

In other news, I'm considering adding a perk system a la Fallout 3 and the ones mentioned at the end of each chapter of Fallout:Equestria. Haven't thought of a source yet (Perhaps wasteland survival booklets from trader caravans?), but each pony will be able to learn a single perk that improves effectiveness in combat/trades/various other things. Different perks will be gradually added over multiple versions. Any thoughts on this?

Reaction that gives a random perk that gives a significant buff to something perhaps?
There could be normal perk reactions that give say Sniper (increased view range or something), Pack Rat (increased strength), Stonewall (immune to being knocked out), etc and there could be a random one that could give a much better version of the normal perks.
For example, if Pack Rat buffs strength by 1.25, the random Pack Rat could give a buff of 2.0.
You'd risk giving a melee pony increased view range or good cooking skill gains for the chance of them being buffed by something else, a risk vs reward kind of thing, yes?
Random perk reaction could also have some "special" perks unavailable through normal guaranteed reactions, like a mutation perk that gives a pony a blade like horn, wings or something else.

> > Un-nerf the BB guns.
> Very well then.
My general thoughts on guns is that they're fairly weak, but maybe I'm just spoiled by "broken" DF crossbows.

That's not true, it's just that most creatures in this mod have better armor and protection than what you'd normally face in vanilla.
You/we have mostly been using BB guns and pistols for our ranged units, you even mentioned that in your own stable reports where you said you were reluctant on giving your soldiers combat rifles due to their mediocre gunner skill.
I assure you that good gunners and snipers are just as OP as vanilla dwarves with crossbows, you just need the right skills for them.

If you have a single legendary sniper you will be pretty much invincible, as long as you can provide ammo for it.
My own two newbie snipers in Lemon proved that when they almost murdered half a steel ranger ambush despite missing most of their shots.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 07, 2013, 05:33:32 am »

> Perks.
Before this spins out of control, I propose that perks be relatively minor boosts. Such as no more than +250 to any stat; x2 or even x1.25 Strength is too powerful. I say, postpone the perks and do other things first. I imagine the perks would be rather labour-intensive to implement and balance anyway. In other words, I may welcome perks that are there for flavour, but not necessarily ones so good that I would be inclined to come up with ways to "farm" them. Speaking of flavour, AFAIK there isn't even a way to make them show up anywhere in the character sheet, they would just pop in {r}eports->"... is fighting", then disappear, leaving only their effects behind. I don't quite like that and may still be inclined to keep track of them.

> Gun discussion.
For the last 3 or so years I had 3 legendary ponies with *combat rifles* and =bronze medium calibre ammo=. They did manage to wound a few Steel Rangers and other ambushes, but 3 of my melee ponies at weapons and shield use 5-10 and with tier 2 steel weapons mopped the floor with them, as described in my last report. Pistols had about the same effect on slavers. They wounded, sometimes stunned, caused bleeding, but rarely were enough to kill. I had very limited experience with AMRs, but those few shots that hit their marks did cause some grievous wounds, so large calibre ammo may be more cost-effective than rifles, at least in some cases. 
In the caverns and against yellow ghouls I can't even imagine what would work. Melee ponies get sick instantly and ranged have to get close to fire and get jumped. Besides, bullets don't do much against things that don't bleed and don't feel pain.

My plan is still to get chainsaw rifles and one squad of ripper rifles for melee ponies, with fire support from AMRs. The heavy fire support get their power armours first, because they are more costly to train. 

EDIT:
> I can't find the salvage yard under the workshops menu. Any help?
Try furnace menu. I was confused by that too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:47:19 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:54 am »

I can't find the salvage yard under the workshops menu. Any help?

EDIT: While I was searching for the salvage yard, my woodcutter was torn apart by a large radscorpion. The guy who found his corpse is in love with a recent paraplegic and has a fractured skull.

As I typed that out, Esteemheaven (the large radscorpion) tore his way through my camp. My robots are wrecked, my little ponies dead, wounded or missing. Silky Rhymestorm, my last remaining stable dweller, bruised and broken, is running for the nearby hacksaw as the radscorpion chases him through the corridor.

He was picked up by his neck and gave one defiant kick before the thing pulled it off.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:10:40 am by NobodyPro »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:50 am »

It's a furnace.
Remember to also build the supply depot and workbench.

=bronze medium calibre ammo=

Yeah... I guess this ends that discussion.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:06 am »

> > =bronze medium calibre ammo= EDIT: Actually I think it was just * and not =.
> Yeah... I guess this ends that discussion.
No, it doesn't!
Bronze is a metal and ammo is a piercing weapon. Piercing weapons can penetrate 1 tier better material armour.
I often saw enemies (in copper armour) with about 10 rifle bullets in them, bleeding, crawling around unconscious with open wounds and broken bones. I even posted some pictures of those wounds in my stable reports. It took 50+ rifle shots by a legendary gunner to kill a Steel Ranger in copper Power Armour. Usually they didn't even die, but crawled away and off the map. Melee can kill rather quickly. Guns can sometimes help, but mostly suck.

EDIT: You know, I may have over-reacted. I've had fights with chainsaws dealing 2 pages of wounds before the victim bled out and of course the guy who made it to legendary from a dingle duel with a Ripper. The melee ponies swing their weapons about ten times faster than the gunners reload their weapons, so close combats usually just ends quicker. I checked. One of my gunners has 2 notable and 20 other kills, another has 7 notable and 23 others, the third one has 5 notable and 17 others. My best melee soldiers, after serving for about three years have 20 notable and 5 others and 16 notable plus 4 others, respectively. Another blinking melee soldier has eleven notable kills and 2 others. This means guns definitely do work and keep their users safeish, as long as there is something between them and the enemy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:40:24 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:05 am »

Just means unlike some mods that over emphasis ranged combat this one still leaves some breathing room for close-assault troops to be useful. Hell even in vanilla I don't rely on marksmen to be more than fire support because of how resource intensive it is to raise decent shots. I will give the bb guns in this mod credit though: They may suck beyond all reason but they make for great training tools.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 07, 2013, 12:33:48 pm »

Fine, I will try the ranged weapons in my new stable again, with steel bullets, again, and see if they still kill things as well as last time, again.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 07, 2013, 12:42:35 pm »

I say you wait until most of them are bleeding, on the ground, screaming for their mothers and Celestia to save them from their gunshot wounds and sic a bunch of psycho-fueled machete swinging Stable dwellers out after them.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 07, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »

I say you wait until most of them are bleeding, on the ground, screaming for their mothers and Celestia to save them from their gunshot wounds and sic a bunch of psycho-fueled machete swinging Stable dwellers out after them.

Dunno man, feels like every time I send anyone against a mortally injured they always end up getting stabbed in the aorta or something.
It's uncanny how many fights I have lost over the years to enemies I thought were unable to fight back.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »

You wait until they pass out then.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 07, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »

Doesn't matter if they are passed out, my units always find a way to hurt themselves one way or another.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 07, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »

Clumsy your soldiers are clumsy. Also: it's coming, if I can get the damned pose right. To the rest of you, don't worry about it.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 07, 2013, 02:34:36 pm »

This isn't as cool as Khenals artifact power armor, but I still think it's pretty badass.

Going to give it to a gunner of his own squad, he'll be the stable's "mysterious stranger".

Clumsy your soldiers are clumsy. Also: it's coming, if I can get the damned pose right. To the rest of you, don't worry about it.

Are you talking about the "thing" with the thing or are you being persecuted by Mexican bandits?
Do you need to borrow my revolver to engage them in a western shootout?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:28 pm »

Oh you'll see. This sin't the place to discuss it.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 07, 2013, 02:43:03 pm »

Hmm, hmm, not mexicans then.

Last thing I'd like to share before I hit the igloo.

The stable of Salttear "The Salty Tears" has a population of 112 and a military composed of 48 ponies, of which at least 35 are completely unarmed and unarmored.

This is what it looks like when 48 ponies (or a nonspecific number between 25-48) attack a giant radscorpion in revenge (about 1/5th of the log).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what it looks like when the same army returns triumphant with zero losses and a broken flank.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:56:44 pm by Replica »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 210