Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 477179 times)

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.98b beta) Life Goes On...
« Reply #1755 on: March 03, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend reading the first post, especially the Tips/Hints and Workshops and Industries Guide. The technologies developed from salvage will aid greatly in the in both the early survival and later prosperity of your Stables.

Drago: Tahujdt’s explanation is spot on. In short, there are materials used solely for allowing custom tools and toys to be sorted in stockpiles as this image describes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The custom items are used for ingame buildings (e.g. power talismans are required for the power generator and prismatic workshops) and reactions (e.g. miniguns are used to upgrade security turrets to minigun turrets or for minigun battle saddles to equip your ponies). Certain reactions produce upgrade potions, which take effect after being drunk by a thirsty pony (To upgrade either the drinker or a nearby pastured creature) and are described in the Workshops and Industries Guide.

Treason: Glad you enjoy it! :D While the mod has come a long way since the first release, it’s only encompassed half the features from the novel, so it’s only going to get better.

> Still have not figured out what skill, if any, the salvage yard and supply depot use.
If no skill is listed (Either at the top or next to the reaction), the reaction has no skill and any idling pony will perform it. This avoids giving the products quality levels, which skyrocket your Stable’s value, making enemies invade sooner and trading much easier. If it starts pulling ponies intended for other jobs, you can directly assign a worker so only he will perform it.

> My current stable is built on a haunted glacier and I noticed that above ground wildlife doesn’t pop up.
Freezing locations don’t have much wildlife at the present. Fortunately, the subterranean caverns are quite full of nasties waiting for your dig teams. :)

> This map absolutely delights in spawning necrotic clouds of radiation right in the middle of the map above my entrance.
Evil regions aren’t called the deathlands for nothing. ;)

SHADOWdump: Thanks! :) What I love best about DF is the extreme flexibility it affords to modders…greater than any other game I’m aware of, allowing the recreation of such exceptional settings as post-apocalyptic Equestria.

Replica: I can hardly take credit for adapting an excellent story. Even the mod as it is today wouldn't have been possible without the support of you and others, so you all have my thanks and appreciation. :D

I’ve entered another busy period in life, unfortunately, so the next major release will be delayed. :( In the meantime, I'm always open to suggestions for new features and balancing improvements.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:03:13 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 03, 2013, 05:01:56 pm »

Lycaeon, the mod is still awesome despite it being a work in progress.  Everything awesome is usually a work in progress.

As for the status of my fort, I'm now kinda of fond of the clouds.  I set up a covered area at the entrance to my fort top side so the clouds don't leak in.  Every single thief and snatcher who has wondered into my area has succumbed to them and either died through massive necrosis or turned into ghouls and killed off their fellows before running.

I can't wait to see when a siege shows up and dies to the environment.  It reminds me of some old forts I had in older DF versions where I'd set the temperature so low that unless you dug down immediately after starting on a glacier and stacked everyone on top of one another, you'd died of frostbite in under two weeks.

Udate: Stable bit the dust.  A random forgotten beast showed up with steel body parts, wings and deadly dust.  Can't get close enough to the thing before it throws everyone back with dust-spam and when it closes, nothing has any penetration power on it.  While everyone in the stable is running around like mad, trying to get back to the central stairway, the ghouls outside the underground perimeter were having a field day.  Everypony died.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:02:36 pm by Treason »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: March 04, 2013, 01:22:11 pm »

Lycaeon, the mod is still awesome despite it being a work in progress.  Everything awesome is usually a work in progress.

As for the status of my fort, I'm now kinda of fond of the clouds.  I set up a covered area at the entrance to my fort top side so the clouds don't leak in.  Every single thief and snatcher who has wondered into my area has succumbed to them and either died through massive necrosis or turned into ghouls and killed off their fellows before running.

I can't wait to see when a siege shows up and dies to the environment.  It reminds me of some old forts I had in older DF versions where I'd set the temperature so low that unless you dug down immediately after starting on a glacier and stacked everyone on top of one another, you'd died of frostbite in under two weeks.

Udate: Stable bit the dust.  A random forgotten beast showed up with steel body parts, wings and deadly dust.  Can't get close enough to the thing before it throws everyone back with dust-spam and when it closes, nothing has any penetration power on it.  While everyone in the stable is running around like mad, trying to get back to the central stairway, the ghouls outside the underground perimeter were having a field day.  Everypony died.
You might have wanted to use anti-machine rifles for penetration.

EDIT: Lyc, will we get ghoul migrants? That would be awesome. If that isn't planned yet, I might develop it myself.
DOUBLEEDIT: My surface fort got decimated by a feral minotaur, and then the slaver caravan took care of it. That was embarassing. I didn't have a military because all of my soldiers were training in a black-ops facility underground. Quick question: Steel security barding vs. combat armor: Which is better for a light sniping squad?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:59:22 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 04, 2013, 07:35:05 pm »

> A random forgotten beast showed up with steel body parts, wings and deadly dust.
Sometimes you just can't beat the randomness of a good old vanilla generated indestructible megabeast. :P As tahujdt mentioned, anti-machine rifles would probably be able to kill it.

> Will we get ghoul migrants?
Yes, along with the Dashites when I get around to them. :)

> Steel security barding vs. combat armor: Which is better for a light sniping squad?
Security barding is lighter than combat armor, so your ponies will move and shoot faster. Can't say if that's a good thing though, given the tendency for snipers to rush into melee after running out of ammo. Steel combat armor can block non-steel medium caliber bullets.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 04, 2013, 08:13:27 pm »

By the way, are starmetal veins supposed to lead to hell? 'Cause mine didn't.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:18 pm »

I tend to find that Forgotten Beasts and Titans are quite fun to keep around in this mod if/when you can catch them, even moreso than in vannilla. It's fun to think of them as unique taint mutations or robots or whatever and to enjoy the feeling of keeping a lobster made of rock salt in a little panic room to greet the slavers.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:50 pm »

> Starmetal
They're supposed to, or at least they did the last time I breached. Your vein's opening may be deeper down - you can check with DFhack's "reveal hell" function to make sure.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 04, 2013, 10:42:40 pm »

Are AMRs enough to punch through Steel Ranger armor? If so, how frequently? How about alicorns?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:52 pm »

So, I was thinking: (I yes, I've read the damn story. I know that theres not many of 'em.)
Why can't we have pegasi ponies?
It would be nice....and still make sense.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 04, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »

So, I was thinking: (I yes, I've read the damn story. I know that theres not many of 'em.)
Why can't we have pegasi ponies?
It would be nice....and still make sense.

...does it not?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:56 pm »

whats that supposed to mean?  ???
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:00 am »

> Are AMRs enough to punch through Steel Ranger armor? If so, how frequently? How about alicorns?
If you find they can't punch through something, let me know. ;) They're pretty much the equalizer of the wasteland, able to kill the strongest enemies in the game at the cost of significant resources (Both to train accurate snipers and manufacture large caliber ammunition). Though shielded alicorns were immune in the novel, your Stable citizens don't have the options of ambush or a cleverly placed memory orb.

> Why can't we have pegasi ponies?
I plan to add Dashite migrants (Pegasi exiled from the Enclave), but they'll be rare (I still haven't figured out a frequency yet).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:24 am »

Perhaps about... 1 to 50 chance...  1 to 100 may be too much?  Middling ground being about 1 to 80, that is a DF transition population number I believe. 
Assuming that a number of players here cap there fort before 50 and may or may not let in more later.  Either way, I figure a good number is ideally 1 per fort, if you stick to the story... but for gameplay, you could ease it, but there'd be a lot of Dashites in worldgen if you do... heck, given the population, it is still a lot. 

There will of course be the odd dashite being born... (You know the mother has been seeing somedashite somewhere...)

There is a lot of people asking that same question lately.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 05, 2013, 11:25:03 am »

On the question of pegasi migrants, i think they shouldn't be dashites. The population of our civilization comes from the stables sealed before doomsday, and pony genetics makes it possible for two earth ponies to give birth to unicorns or pegasi - think Cakes. So the pegasi migrants could be the odd genes showing up, growing up in a stable, having non flying related cutiemarks but similar to those that the other two pony race have now, then come to our stable same as them, with their wings and frequency as the only difference.
...Of course a dashite could join to any caravan on their way to our stables, but then we are more like wastelanders then stable ponies. I have a similar opinion on ghoul migrants, they are not a thing that naturally borns in a stable. Maybe we should play as the wastelanders(?), or give the dashite caste(s) to them. They could come as caravan guards and it would be more story like that way.
edit:curse those 'e's
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:25:05 pm by gzoker »
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »

On the question of pegasi migrants, i think they shouldn't be dashites. The population of our civilization comes from the stables sealed before doomsday, and pony genetics makes it possible for two earth ponies to give birth to unicorns or pegasi - think Cakes.
*snip*
Think of the cakes father... with a shifty nervous explanation that he is unsure of.  (Though, the last time I watched it, might have been a youtube animation edit.)  And yea... DF genetics does work like that explanation.  So whichever.

And... you are right.  Dashites and ghouls are more of a wastelander thing.   Dashite and Ghoul slaves!    Also, if ya really like, throw a Pegasi stable into the 'story'.  Their numbers should still be on the low end.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 210