Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 476980 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.98c beta) Life Goes On...
« Reply #1905 on: March 16, 2013, 05:38:36 pm »

> Power Hooves
Ah good, so we could have Power Hooves as weapons, except for oddities, such as holding them with mouths and horns. One big merit of Power Hooves I see is that they would train the skill they use pretty fast, so we can have instructors learn either Striking or Kicking fasts and then make demonstrations of that skill work much better, which would decrease the overall amount of wasted training time. 

> I went with bakelite because it's period appropriate and the best known early plastic. Also one of the easiest plastics to make.
Ah, OK. I looked it up and it looks like just the kind of stuff we might want. It is pretty much a hardened resin, with some additives, like cloth or sawdust to make it less brittle. It is rather cheap, easy to make and versatile. As a bonus, it has that "retro" look to it that we want in Fallout anyway. I can't say much about it's mechanical properties, other than it is probably slightly better than bone. Bakelite density is 1250 to 1300 kg/m^3. So yeah, either call it "plastic" or Bakelite.

If we are getting petroleum ore, then "biofuel" should be renamed to "liquid fuel" and the reaction to get it from its ore be the most efficient.

I looked over some reactions in Dwarf Fortress: Modern. There wasn't much inspiration there, but here it goes:

Aluminium could be made from Bauxite at the prismatic smelter. Not that it's important; we get a lot of aluminium from salvage anyway.

Kevlar as a type of synthetic fibre. Can be used for jumpsuits and provide some protection? Used for plasteel?

Biofuel used to make explosives for rocket boxes.

Biofuel to gunpowder? Nah, bad idea. Either too easy or too inefficient.

1 FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER + 1 corn + 1 sweet pod -> Soda
Well, it would be handy to be able to make Synth Cola Rad (the one with the bonus) at some point.

Burn plants to ash. Yet another way to make gunpowder.

My acquaintance, a student of chemistry, might be able to come up with more ideas, if he gets around to it.

The Linux 098c version is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71287918/FoE_linux_098c.7z I updated my post about it is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118893.msg3976877#msg3976877 This is the best I can do at this point.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 16, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »

Bauxite to aluminum is already in last I checked.

Kevlar is a synthetic fiber as well, which is why I suggested it as a an alternative reaction if you have a MWT catalyst.
The reactions I put up were based off this list: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_synthetic_polymers#section_3
Kevlar for bodyarmor and neoprene for chemical insulation (chem/rad suits anyone?).

Plants to ash should be in vanilla DF IMO...

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 16, 2013, 08:22:57 pm »

I've noted down all the chemical factory and plastics suggestions and will work to integrate them at a later date. A synthetics industry is definitely needed for technologies like plasteel and hazmat jumpsuits that are presently only found in crates.

The concrete factory will be in the next update. Depressing gray walls for everypony! :)

Power hooves won't work as they would also be be wielded in mouths and by unicorn telekinesis.

> On a related note, plywood can't be used for constructions, so we could have the sawmill process a log into 4 wooden blocks for those who want to play aboveground constructions out of wood. More efficient "wood -> charcoal" and "wood->ash" reactions are also welcome, be it from wooden blocks or plywood.
Both are good suggestions and will be added.

> Aluminium could be made from Bauxite at the prismatic smelter.
The smelters already have this reaction.

> Kevlar as a type of synthetic fibre. Can be used for jumpsuits and provide some protection? Used for plasteel?
This will be included in synthetics production.

> Biofuel used to make explosives for rocket boxes.
Rockets have been phased out (And missiles are delayed), but explosives manufacturing for the HE mines and rigged sprite-bots is planned.

> Burn plants to ash. Yet another way to make gunpowder.
I ran into problems with this reaction (It wouldn't respect stack size and sometimes produced ash without any plants), so increased ash from wood will suffice.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :D

I'm up to my ears in autosyndrome reactions and other dfhack-related features, but brainstorming is still welcome! I'm especially interested in ideas for hoof-fitting modules (akin to the pipbuck), since there are four spots - plenty of range for customization. :)
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 16, 2013, 08:28:03 pm »

A few of my thoughts after two days without electricity, and after three beers:

I wonder how much pony fashion matters to you. Having a complicated process with lots of micro management (emphasis here) just to produce an item you won't care about/ not really that useful/ produces other useless items as a byproduct is a bad idea. Synthetic silk and any plastic in general won't make any real difference gameplay wise, so they should be kept simple. After introducing drugs a cohesive and more complex chemical industry would be welcomed, but personally i would rather go with rare components for the necessary workshops, than huge amounts of resources or long and tedious reaction chains. A lot of workshops could use some kind of hologem as a building material - requiring advanced knowledge for using advanced technology is making sense right?
It could go somehow like this:
salvage or junk ->(in an easily buildable workshop) = something useful (like cheap silk for moods);
salvage or junk ->(specialized workshop) = better, higher value items;
renewable raw material  ->(specialized workshop) = mass produced high value items.
The most important items in terms of survival in the game are the armors and weapons. Food is easy enough, and everything else is there just for the atmosphere. So they don't really need bottlenecks - if you produce something just for roleplaying reasons then you are playing by your own arbitrary rules, and someone else's arbitrary rules shouldn't constrain your gameplay.

Back on food. Its place in the food chain is the most important aspect of a wasteland pony's life. The part of the mod where they get eaten is getting together nicely, but the part where they eat is out of balance. They should be praising Celestia for every caravan that comes near the stable with food, and treasure every last bit of their harvest. In short, there should be much more starvation in our wastelands.
The animals should give much less meat, around 20%. ( My last stables lived solely on feral dog meat we killed in the first two seasons. )
When the plants get their overhaul, maybe it would be a good idea to remove the vanilla farming altogether. One dedicated farmer, with 20 tiles of farmland can feed half the population of post-apocalyptic equestria. Without potash. Making the hydroponics farm easier to build, the growing reactions to consume the seeds 50% of the time and making plants to have no seeds would leave us with a slowly withering food stockpile, and a greater dependency on caravans. A more desperate and wasteland like feeling overall. It would be so much better if we could decide who gets to eat ( legendary sawponies, armorsmiths, mechanics) and who doesn't ( all the milkers and cheesemakers and every Urist ever. )
For the hydroponics i thought instead of a power talisman it could use a lighting talisman and spark batteries in the reactions, sometimes depleting them. Managing the water levels could work with a purely mechanical device IRL, and having more kind of (semi)-rare talismans is a good idea i believe. This would put this workshop in the middle tier, which would be achievable in a few years. 
Growing plants the vanilla way - but only above ground - should be only possible in good biomes aka the Everfree Forests, the only place with radiation free soil in the wasteland.

This could work, if the drop rates of food items from salvage were increased. And this brings me to my third thought. This mod would be more interesting if we had to rely on salvaging more.
In the wasteland every resource is finite. Not just in equestria, but in normal fallout too. This is the most charming aspect of doomsday. You have to think about how to use those few things you have more efficiently, so you can survive. ( Most of the assholes gone is just a perk :D )
Achieving self-sufficiency in Vanilla Dwarf Fortress is easy. Doing the same in this mod is not much different. With a good embark setup it is possible in less than a year.
But, this could be a challenge, and as such the endgame. Or rather, it should be the endgame. Being self-sufficient in the wasteland is a privilege. Only a few communities can enjoy it, and most of them have been built two hundred years ago, and they are still sealed deep underground. The others have fought for it, and sacrificed the lives of many, but they still haven't achieved it. Many have already lost it. Life in the wasteland is a struggle against a slow decay.
The goal, and feeling while playing this mod should be similar. Trying to secure a good life for our ponies, but ultimately failing as we exhaust our limited resources. (Or very rarely, winning by achieving self-sufficiency, then still losing because of butterfly.)

Completely unrelated to everything: have you ever seen a tile, where if you build a door, it always stays open? Even after removing and reinstalling it, or a different one, building a floor on it, cleaning it with df hack, putting magma on it with dfhack, screaming cats at it, and other occult rituals? No hidden dead vermin, or connected mechanism at that tile either.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 16, 2013, 09:52:01 pm »

Your post touches upon some of my design intentions for the mod that I haven't had the time to consider recently.

There are several complex tech trees in the current version - but each leads to a valuable end-product. RobronCo's robotics is one example; the Arcane Sciences is another. The first manufactures military-grade robots that are highly effective in combat, while the second forges the talismans necessary for multiple tech trees (Like the robot processing matrices) as well as combat spells for your unicorns. Even the resources required for ammunition manufacturing and weapons engineering are returned in full by battle saddles and anti-machine rifles.

If there are any complex reaction chains that don't produce worthwhile results, let me know so I can fix them. ;)

The intricacy of the advanced tech trees necessitates that production of base materials - metals, gemstones, etc, remain correspondingly simple. Rock farming and trade provide a steady stream of gemstones. Salvaged ministry crates are the source for reagents at nearly every level of each tree. Bone flux and scrap iron produce steel. Metalsmithing and other vanilla reactions remain - increasing their complexity would make upper tier technologies unattainable. The synthetics industry will be similarly straightforward.

Likewise, if you feel a raw material is in short supply, give me a heads-up. ;)

There's no way to reduce the amount of meat from creatures without changing their body sizes, so meat at least is a constant food source unless I irradiate it (Unlikely). I agree that farming of food crops should be limited or impossible, as it was in the novel. This won't include wasteland plants needed for drug production, but those aren't as edible. However, I'm not sure if doing so would make the mod unplayable due to lack of food, so input on this would be appreciated. If it's possible to survive on meat alone, and trade in areas where meat is scarce, then I will.

The hydroponics farm requires a rare water talisman, so it won't be available in a Stable's early years. Lighting is implied by the power talisman, as there aren't any lightbulbs in DF.

Increasing food amounts from salvage is also something I will consider.

The experience of near-starvation and desperation as you described is a major design goal, but the right balance of food to attain it is still unclear.

As for salvage...if I'm not mistaken, it already is the main source of the tools and weapons needed for wasteland survival (And the only source for tech trees), so I'm not sure what you mean by increasing a Stable's reliance upon it.

Your advice is much appreciated gzoker. Thanks! :D

> Have you ever seen a tile, where if you build a door, it always stays open?
No, I have not. Is there any way you can avoid using that tile?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:54:59 pm by Lycaeon »

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:06 am »

If there is no vanilla farming, the food sources are limited to hunting, fishing, the hydroponics and the prewar foods from salvage. Hunting and fishing cannot be changed around much like you said, but the hydroponics is a modded workshop and its output could be scaled as necessary. Same with salvaged food. I suggested the lighting talisman to make the hydroponics farm cheaper, as we don't want to increase the frequency neither of the water or power talismans. The workshop should be cheaper easier to build, so by the time the salvaged food runs out most Stables could produce a limited supply of plants for themselves. They could get seeds from the caravans, or some preserved seeds from ministry creates. (maybe some experimental too)

No unlimited farming would make a bottleneck on the alcohol supply. The Stables will have to embark near fresh water, or something similar will have to be implemented to the irradiated water talisman idea from a while back. My preference would be a water purifier with the only purpose of making fresh water from rain, of course only in fluff. Think megaton from fallout 3. Alcohol is a luxury item in this universe, and it should be treated as such.
It is my understanding that we can limit the time a reaction takes in a workshop. This could be used in both the hydroponics farm, and this water purifier thing I'm talking about.
Again, the purpose of these changes is to limit the food and drink supply, but these changes would have the side effect of making the mod more realistic and closer to both the novels and the fallout franchise. Of course this would alter the gameplay significantly, but removing ourselves from the standard vanilla mindset and playstyle should be the purpose of playing mods I think. Otherwise it's just rainbow dwarves with four legs in a slightly more hostile environment. (please don't try to imagine it, the mental picture can cause severe bleeding)

On salvage: the main resources in game at the moment are mining, trading, farming and salvaging. The last three is renewable, and mining is virtually inexhaustible (ever tried to mine every tile on a 3*3 map with 150z levels?  bad idea :D ) The most imbalanced is farming from these four, but i have already wrote down my main issues.
In every fallout game and the FOE novels the only resource is salvage. Farming is almost nonexistent; mining is labour intensive without proper tools; and trading is dependent on salvaging again.  The manufacturing process is back in the stone age. There is no light or heavy industry, maybe only in a few closed off stables (Red Eye doesn't count.)
I feel that the gameplay could be closer to this image, but still enjoyable the same if not more.
I'm curious what you have in mind for these aspects of the mod, but time will tell.

That bugged tile was with a previous mod version, and in an already abandoned stable, but I'm curious about everyones experiences. It's a really annoying bug, and if its modspecific it should be solved. My first hypothesis was that some kind of invisible raider part got stuck in it, there were barbed wire traps a few tiles away, but pouring magma should have cleaned those away. Hmmm, if a raider dies before anyone notices, does the raider really existed at all? :D My second hypothesis is that somehow the open state got triggered like it would from a lever, but from some kind of memory issue. I will try and search for that save, but i have around a hundred (3gb) and i don't remember the name :P

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 17, 2013, 12:57:53 am »

Please don't remove vanilla farming...
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 17, 2013, 01:03:33 am »

+1

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 17, 2013, 01:50:02 am »

You can't remove vanilla farming! My livelihood and that of my sla... workers... no, slaves depends on it!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 17, 2013, 05:24:49 am »

Gzoker, I disagree with your thoughts on farming: 
> A few of my thoughts after [...] three beers:
Not a good sign.

> salvage or junk ->(in an easily buildable workshop) = something useful (like cheap silk for moods);
> salvage or junk ->(specialized workshop) = better, higher value items;
Personally I'm fine with salvage yard sorting through all the salvage, then workbench and supply depot taking care of the chests. I'd rather not have trier 2 upgrades to those, with better chance of good stuff. Sorting things and opening crates are pretty low tech, with not much room for improvement anyway.

There is no way to reduce meat production from an animal; it is calculated automatically from it's size and body plan. For me, all the loose organs from butchering something are even worse.

> Back on food. Its place in the food chain is the most important aspect of a wasteland pony's life.
That may be, but we don't play as Wastelander civilisation and Stable Ponies have experience in underground sustainable food (apple?) production. Getting plants to produce seeds is not even that hard IRL. (Well, depending on the plant and if it was modified to not produce usable seeds to protect the interests of companies who patented life itself, but any such plants would extinct anyway.) There were some farms in the wasteland, just not as good as what Master Red Eye was building. I rely on caravans early on, but eventually SR ambushes start showing up, so I may be cut off from caravans for years. I don't also see a way of deciding who eats first that wouldn't involve lots of micro-management.
For me the farming nerf from increased growing times was enough. I had pretty big farms of synth reed in my stables and didn't drown in it. I don't want my stable to starve; I prefer to focus on other areas. I would also rather have my ponies farm than rely heavily on fishing, eggs, butchering / hunting and plant gathering.

As for abundance of salvage and it regrowing: It is something of a problem, but I mostly just get low quality salvage for the scrap metal anyway. Regrowing is rather slow too, unless you make a big "underground tree farm", which is pretty much the only (and totally player-controlled) way of making salvage more abundant / overpowered than it has to be and "breaking the game".
An alternative to trees would be to have low quality salvage or scrap ore as ore veins in sedimentary layers, while medium and high quality salvage be gems in that ore. This would make them finite, but:
* Less reliable and more random: Does this set of "Shallow metals" contain salvage or just copper? Trees at least guarantee that you'll find salvage. You can see the amount of trees in embark screen and more always grow in the caverns.
* Exploratory mining is less !fun! than cutting down trees under a constant threat of an ambush. 

> Water purifier and less alcohol.
There are already workshops that fill buckets with water. I don't even know if you can fill a barrel with water and have ponies drink from it. If purifiers worked by pretending that water is alcohol, we would just end up with more alcohol and absurdities, like converting purified water into biofuel. There is only so much modders can do with DF food and drink system and I think it is as good as it gets now. I didn't even manage to accumulate 5k drinks in Ponderplanned, like I usually do in DF. 

> In every fallout game and the FOE novels the only resource is salvage.
False. Fallout has farms. Fallout 2 has a Uranium mine. FNV has a concrete factory at Quary Junction. Gun Runners produce guns and ammo. Humanity is building again. There is salvaging, but there is also production. In FoE novel New Appleloosa exports apples and apple products. Red Eye has factories. Enclave has cloud farming. I think this is enough examples.
> Red Eye doesn't count.
Why, because he contradicts your false theories?
Besides, I want my Stable to become a shining beacon of hope for the future. I want to pretend my Overmare is like Master Red Eye. Though on second thought, I keep all the good stuff to myself and don't export it.

Just a though: I'd like chemistry reactions to have one product only. That way I can decide if I want to convert biofuel into synthetic fibre, plastics, coal or explosives. This isn't very realistic, as chemical plants often have some by-products, but game-wise if we want mostly plastics or mostly fibre, we would end up with some stuff that we don't really want accumulating in our stockpiles.

One good use for plastic, apart from crafts, is plastic furniture. That way, if the plastic production is efficient enough, we won't have to waste so much stone on furniture and can use more for rock grinding.

I'm wondering if the plants for drugs should be farmable or just plant gatherable. Probably farmable.

If plants->ash won't work, then what about transmuting plants into wood by Unicorns, using Woodcrafting skill, as was in Nikodeng's pony mod via the "wood painting workshop"? It was pretty overpowered in that mod, but we get less harvest anyway.

If you'd like more variety from vegetable cans, here's what you can do:
Open "reaction_kitchen'txt" and in OPEN_CAN_VEGETABLE replace
[PRODUCT:100:3:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:CELERY:STRUCTURAL]
with
[PRODUCT:50:3:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:CELERY:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:50:3:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:ROOT_CARROT:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:50:3:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:ROOT_RADISH:STRUCTURAL]
On average this produces 4.5 plants per can (which I imagine as a crate of cans rather than a single one), is always less efficient than military ratios and has a chance to produce nothing at all (cans were spoiled).

The Linux 098c version is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71287918/FoE_linux_098c.7z I updated my post about it is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118893.msg3976877#msg3976877 This is the best I can do at this point.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:57:35 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:41 am »

Gzoker:
>In every fallout game and the FOE novels the only resource is salvage. Farming is almost nonexistent; mining is labour intensive without proper tools; and trading is dependent on salvaging again.  The manufacturing process is back in the stone age. There is no light or heavy industry, maybe only in a few closed off stables (Red Eye doesn't count.)

That isn't true at all and I really shouldn't have to tell you why it is if you really claim to have played or known about "every fallout game".
The entirety of Fallout 2 is kind of a bit of a nail in your eye on that point, everything you said there is proved 100% wrong by that game alone.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 17, 2013, 07:24:27 am »

Removing three words from the middle of the sentence in a quote to shift the emphasis...
Not a good sign. Consider a career in journalism. (joke)

>> In every fallout game and the FOE novels the only resource is salvage.
>False. Fallout has farms. Fallout 2 has a Uranium mine. FNV has a concrete factory at Quary Junction. Gun Runners produce guns and ammo. Humanity is building again. There is salvaging, but there is also production. In FoE novel New Appleloosa exports apples and apple products. Red Eye has factories. Enclave has cloud farming. I think this is enough examples.
Think in general terms. Does every community in the wasteland live from uranium mining? Has every citizen in the NCR all new shine concrete houses? Yes, i worded it badly, and if you doesn't think about it, just take the words at face value then its false. But the following is true, most of the population live from scavenging and not from the fruits of production. We play as a stable opened up to the wasteland, probably not because our desire to feed everybody else, but because something went wrong. This just means our idea about how it should look like is different.

>> Red Eye doesn't count.
>Why, because he contradicts your false theories?
Yes. He is not the rule but the exception. The oddity in the survey data.
Of course he counts if I look at the wasteland from some removed objective point, but from the average citizen's viewpoint he is just a threat of slavery, and not the shining example of sharing wealth around the wasteland. His faction in Philidelphia has every kind of industry available, but the only products leaving the compound are equipment for slavers.

On salvage: I like the way how things are being set up now. Cutting down trees/salvage, then the gamble at the salvage yard/ supply depot is my favorite thing in this mod. I was trying to communicate the general idea of how the workshops should could be organized. My biggest concern at that moment was chemistry. Adding a badly implemented feature, is like adding none. (by bad i mean one i won't use because of the reasons i listed two posts before.) So i said something before it happened.

Look here is what happens in most of my stables: By the end of first year food and booze production has been secured, and there is nothing to do with it for the rest of the game. The core of the military is already in training and they are almost fully equipped.  The stable have been fully mined out, and the miners have nothing to do anymore. I can bring all the necessary gems at embark to have all the apprentice spells in the game, (or just grind a hundred rocks) and by the end of the second year most of my unicorns have already learned them. The second year is being spent on sorting migrants and starting some kind of outside construction to spend time. Raider ambushes are fun, but we rarely have casualties and the hospital is working like a charm. The stable grows, fps withers away steadily. By the end of the third year i have most of the industries in place, and there is nothing to do just watching ponies. Usually i abandon before the fifth year because of boredom. So in short, the deaths of my stables come from the abundance of resources.
So i thought about how could this be spiced up? My badly communicated results are there.

On farming: some leaps are bigger than others, even in thought. I won't press the issue anymore, because this is not just a game for me but for you people as well. Different opinions are good as long as they lead to conversation, and not a flame war. Thank god this is the bay12 forum :D

Replica, yeah my bad. I have a general idea of how the wasteland looks like only from the novels, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I didn't try to claim anything, just used the wrong words.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 17, 2013, 07:48:57 am »

I'd just as soon say do what most people do and deliberately ignore sanity and constantly kill colonists in evil biomes by trying to settle there. Chances are lady luck will take a steaming crap on your head and you will be hard pressed to get salvage either because of it being virtually nonexistant (as is the case of what Pineapple suffered) or the act of salvaging either above or below ground gets ponies killed by the handful either because workers get jumped or security officers die in droves protecting said workers.

Alternatively, don't bring seeds of any sort and settle a savage biome. irradiated dust storms and forcing yourself to live off surface crops can provide quite a challenge and for bonus, make it a savage evil mix, so you end up with the worst of both (ferals and black radscorpions) trying to kill your workers, along with the dust storms. And only bring one drill and no other weapons.

See how quick you can make a functioning stable/settlement.

I dunno, I've been up too long and just wanted to throw my two poorly organized cents in, which amounts to a deaths sentence.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »

After reading through all this, I can infer that there is a discussion on replayability. I can say one thing(Or two) about this. Try to abandon your safe zone, or heck get a good fort, remember the name, and then go adventure in it, scavenge it for supplies to sell and rinse and repeat. That is a good way to get the idea of the trader RP style. Buuuuut of course that my two cents on this topic

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 17, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »

In light of popular opinion, farming will remain as is for now (I’ve postponed the crops update in any case due to the volume of other features to be added). It is true as was mentioned that Stables have underground crop farms, albeit limited, so I will continue development in light of apples that “don’t look like what the history books showed.” :)

I am thinking about removing fish however…they don’t really make much sense and shouldn’t even be edible given the supposedly irradiated rivers they thrive in.

Mining: I’ve already reduced ore percentages - there’s not much I can do there apart from removing mineable metal entirely (Which isn’t an option).

Trading: My options are also limited, as DF AI demands that traders bring large amounts of basic necessities. Ambushes during caravan arrivals usually impede the trading process, however, so it’s not reliable unless you’ve secured the surface.

Salvaging: I’m happy with salvage as it is, though I’m curious to hear everyone’s opinion on how it could be improved. Do you guys think there’s too much of it at the moment, or is it just right?

Water: Making a bottleneck here is difficult; there’s no way to make the default water sources undrinkable. Alcohol is more useful as a biofuel (and eventually plastics) raw material, so limiting its production is counterintuitive. The water fountain does provide a wasteland water drink that’s stored in barrels.

Ash: Increased ash production from burning logs should be sufficient. Transmutation is planned for a future update.

Chemistry: You need not worry about its implementation gzoker. It will be relatively simple as you and Maklak have described.

Linux version: Thanks Maklak, but if I put it up it’ll be outdated by the new version in a couple of days. :(

Difficulty: Now here’s the kicker. Based on monitoring reports over the past few weeks, general consensus indicates that the mod is very hard (Especially if one embarks in the Deathlands). That’s just the way I like it. Your report, gzoker, is interesting as early resource overabundance is something I wish to avoid (As you probably figured out). You only mentioned raiders, though…were you also attacked by the late-game factions? The whole point of developing advanced technologies is to face the threat posed by the Rangers and Unity, so you’re missing out if you’re using spells and power armor to crush raiders.

Artificial difficulty is something to avoid – the mod should be difficult on its own merits and not because of limitations players place on themselves. More feedback and suggestions in this regard would be much appreciated. I myself will be looking over the resource pools again to see what I can tweak.

I'd like to thank everyone for your discourse; while it can be frenetic sometimes, its value in helping me improve the mod cannot be understated. :D

Edit: Just to reiterate, I'm interested in ideas for hoof-fitting modules (akin to the pipbuck), since there are four spots - plenty of range for customization.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:38:13 pm by Lycaeon »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 210