Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472745 times)

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2280 on: April 08, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »

As long as salvage is going to be both a source of technology and a source of the end-products of said technology, it will remain difficult to balance. Personally I prefer embarks with the least amount of salvage available to slow down the technological advancement of my stable as much as possible. My biggest problem probably is that steel combat armor is too easy to get, but upgrading that is super hard. Most of the time I don't even bother with the bronze, those few steel combat armors I get from salvage early on is enough to deal with everything until I set up mass production - especially if I found a power armor too in the first two seasons. I think the gap between bronze security armor and steel combat armor should be wider - in the difficulty of acquiring them, not in strength. I'm really sad that leather barding is absolutely useless. Maybe if both security and combat armor would need some leather ( or even a leather security ) barding in their production?

Maklak:
1 dog-> 6-8 bones -> 3-4 bonemeal -> 1,5-2 steel bars| 60-80 concrete blocks
Flux stone has only two uses and other materials put the bottleneck on their consumption, so it's more like we can't use it up efficiently. I don't know if it's easy, but why should it be hard?

Thirtyeight:
That mech can always be built as a megaproject, you could even put your stable in it. A big useless thing costing tremendous resources, parking on your front lawn, showing off your wealth. The exact thing you wanted in the first place. I would give some extra point if the 'dwarven shotgun' was  installed into it.  Also build those light boulders into stonefall traps they could produce some interesting combat reports.

>No matter what is decided in the future, I'd like to see a way to return a pony's legs. Its heartbreaking to see a unicorn hunter hobbling around on two legs.
Send them on an expedition, its the miracle cure of the wasteland. :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:39:35 pm by gzoker »
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 08, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

Yeah..having slaves loose their clothing once rehabilitated leads to all sorts of "FUN!"  One nervous wreck of a slave is constantly tantruming even after getting clothed and has repeatedly assaulted my poor mechanic/scavenger who keeps being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm glad I decided to keep my population low.  I would not have been able to churn out enough horse shoes and jumpsuits for my naked ponies to finally have a set of their own after all the others jumped on the new stuff if I'd left the population control in my inti file alone.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 08, 2013, 06:48:59 pm »

I appear to have found a bug, or I am missing something. In the Gunsmith's Forge, I can order ammunition of any kind to be made, but it is never made. It isn't canceled, the order sits there forever.

I have a pony with all jobs related to metalworking activated. And no, the pony is not busy. It says 'no job'

I can make combat pistols, miniguns, etc. But ammo? Never. I have brass, refined coal, steel, gunpowder and weapon grade metal. And the workshop is accessible.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 08, 2013, 07:12:21 pm »

So ponies can have the mane six's cutie marks? I have a giant chicken forgotten beast with "rainbow lightning bolt" colored feathers.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 08, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »

I played my 0.30b fort some more.

In preparation for expeditions, I re-organise the military. Lotus gets her own inactive squad of ponies with full security equipment, including chainsaws. Five ponies who aren't crucial and have skills even remotely useful for the military, like learning, are chosen for this: Small Game, Salmon, Snares, Bookworm and Ink. For now their squad is kept inactive.

Mr Macintoshe's plasma bolts chip and fracture the chitin and bruise the muscle when hitting a Bloatsprite in the head. It took 4 hits to damage the brain. Maybe plasma is too weak. An phew, it didn't fire the flamer this time. 

Hm, plasma bolts are lying around.

Lol, those annoying bloatsprites can take a lot of small calibre bullets to kill.

Savant, the miner entered a strange mood and made a floodgate.

A wastelander caravan comes. I buy 2 Mr Hooves, all their food and ammo.

Explorer finally died out of thirst. There is too much to do and not enough ponies to do it.

I may have to re-think my method of executions. Mr Macintosh robot just set 2 kittens on fire. And the inside of the camp too. Actually the whole map is on fire, destroying my wood and plywood stockpiles. I thought that bridges would keep the fire contained, but this is going to burn down the hundreds of wood that I had chopped down, but not yet gathered. And in the middle of the conflagration: migrants. Just 9 of them this time and not too exciting. Ah, screw it. dfhack, make it rain everywhere and put walls of 7/7 water to defend my wood. Those plywood cages have burnt down too, often with their content. :(

The first HE mine is deployed to defend the bridge, but doesn't have anything to blow up. 

Hm, the deludge worked. Actually just the rain would have probably been enough, so use #weather rain whenever flames get out of control. Salvage wasn't even burned and irritably, neither was the trash in my refuse stockpile.

Oh yeah, a *minigun battle saddle*. Now as to who should get it... Friendly Fire should be good. After thinking about it a bit, I've come to the conclusion that minigun battle saddle should work better for ranged ponies. Soon I should have an opportunity to put one to the test.

The Sprite-bot with rigged explosives is released to wander around.

Making a Nurse Redheart or a mine tends to fail, even when there are Mr Hooves and chickens around. I've seen it fail twice in a row and earlier I had the reactions produce nothing without cancellation in log.

The ranged squad is switched to =combat rifles= and +hunting rifle+ again. There is enough medium calibre ammo to do that.

I got a "bronze coal box" and "steel medium caliber ammo box" that aren't made out of "(Tool-Unopened Boxes)" from somewhere.

The expedition staging area is prepared and profiled to accept just the cripples, but the nearby barracks isn't ready yet.

Some of the new migrants are assigned to squads. The rest seem to have pushed back the backlog. Things get done again and very occasionally I get idlers again.

I'm at 78 ponies now. Another wave of migrants and maybe something exciting will happen.

I get a slaver caravan for the first time.

> My biggest problem probably is that steel combat armor is too easy to get, but upgrading that is super hard.
??? It is not easy to get for me. I need some form of efficient smelting (magma or prismatic) and MWT prismatic forge first to pull it off. It takes me years to manufacture combat armour and steel is also hard to get. Yeah, I will find a set or three in the salvage during my first two years, but it will only be enough to give to the most essential soldiers.

> Maybe if both security and combat armor would need some leather [...] in their production?
Or cloth. Cloth or leather would be fine, but adding armoured plates to leather barding would be too much trouble.

> Bonemeal. [...] I don't know if it's easy, but why should it be hard?
Well, I suppose I can use it for rock farming instead.

> I would not have been able to churn out enough horse shoes and jumpsuits for my naked ponies to finally have a set of their own after all the others jumped on the new stuff if I'd left the population control in my inti file alone.
Somehow I do not have this problem. It may be due to death rates, but I have lots of horseshoes and jumpsuits.

> I appear to have found a bug, or I am missing something. In the Gunsmith's Forge, I can order ammunition of any kind to be made, but it is never made. It isn't canceled, the order sits there forever.
I'm pretty sure, I was able to make ammo with a Gunsmith's Forge.

> So ponies can have the mane six's cutie marks? I have a giant chicken forgotten beast with "rainbow lightning bolt" colored feathers.
Cutie marks aren't colours. As for Mane 6 we have Starswirl, Clothier, Animal Caretaker, Apple, Comedian and this is about as close as we get to their analogues. Well, I suppose Rainbow Dash might as well have an Axe on her butt. (That was a joke.)

Speaking of Cutie marks, I'd change the Magic Apprentice's CM to "A flask of green liquid."
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 08, 2013, 07:29:30 pm »

EDIT: Deleted double post.

EDIT2:
> Cutie marks aren't colors? I'm pretty sure they're colors. I can't think of any other way to implement them.
What I wanted to say is that I haven't seen a "rainbow lightning bolt" cutie mark in the files with all the pony castes and CMs.

Hm, grep found "CMRD" in "descriptor_color_cutie_mark.txt", but I don't see it used by any other file. So there are no ponies with that cutie mark.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:51:22 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »

Cutie marks aren't colors? I'm pretty sure they're colors. I can't think of any other way to implement them.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:55 pm »

Managed to capture two Yao Gui.  Can't tame them, alas.  But they're making for great entertainment when I toss thieves and raiders down into their pit.  They've chewed their way through several squads already.

Found out what's eating away at my FPS all the time.  The sheer amount of crap that I pull out from crates and salvage.  Do we really need so many wires, broken glass shards, depleted batteries, etc?  They just pile up and up and up while searching for the one elusive item I need to make use of them..and then I only need maybe a tenth of the horde I've gathered.

Time to do some mass dumping into magma.  They're nearly worthless in trade.

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 08, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »

DFHack's autodump destroy is invaluable for managing FPS.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:55 am »

Treason: I may need to increase Pink Cloud's lethality, or at the very least add in the chance to become a necromantic ghoul (Which is possible now). Best of luck with delving into modding...it won't be easy, but the ability to create almost anything you set your mind to (As this mod's features attest) is more than worth the effort. Feel free to ask if you have any questions! :)

> Slave Traders still fail to spawn with the slave "pet" in a distressing number of generated worlds.
I will take a look at the numbers again. Thanks for pointing this out!

> Do not completely trust what the sight survey says concerning potential ore sources on your embark map.
Not much you can do here apart from using the dfhack prospect function, but you've got that down.

> Magma Smelters and Normal Smelters do not have the option of turning Star Strands into Star Waffers but the Prismatic Smelter does.
Working as intended, though star metal itself isn't fleshed out.

> I have had several ponies show up with the alchemy skill at some impressive levels..but every single one has always been an earth pony.
Random vanilla assignments are odd, aren't they?

> I have to wonder if we might eventually have the option of forging Combat Armor (CA) out of other material besides steel?
I can add the options for those to the prismatic forge, but they wouldn't provide much of an advantage over security barding.

> Having slaves loose their clothing once rehabilitated leads to all sorts of "FUN!"
Heh, seems clothing at least is a valuable commodity in the wastes. :P

> Do we really need so many wires, broken glass shards, depleted batteries, etc?
An astute observation. I don't know why I haven't introduced reactions to consume salvage detritus yet. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

Replica: As mentioned, I will investigate the salvage numbers. I may make salvage heavy enough so that it must be wheeled in carts from a surface stockpile, but I suspect this won't go over well.

Maklak: It's odd that you're experiencing failures in the upgrading reactions. I assume you're still using a Linux version of dfhack, so it may be related to that, but otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is - the reactions work fine in my own Stables. Have you tried pasturing the base creatures directly next to the worker tile or in the workshop?

> I got a "bronze coal box" and "steel medium caliber ammo box" that aren't made out of "(Tool-Unopened Boxes)" from somewhere.
Hm...nothing in the raws suggests a source, so they may be artifacts. If not, they can still be opened at the supply depot - the material is only used for stockpiling.

> Getting so many diamonds that way makes no sense in-fluff.
It's a small concession, I'll admit, but not concerning.

> I think that bonemeal is too easy to make. Even a dog or something will yield 6-8 bones and that's several bonemeal.
Good point. I was worried that flux would be a steel bottleneck, but I guess I overcompensated.

> military grade robots should be TRAINABLE_WAR, that way we can easily assign them to ponies.
All except the robobrains (Since trainable_war overrides skill learning) have it.

Zangi: There will be mega-projects added, and they'll be more useful than a giant mecha-pony. ;)

Thirtyeight: Cybernetics will handle crippled ponies, though expeditions are a cheap work-around as mentioned. ::)

> So ponies can have the mane six's cutie marks?
The cutie marks are in the raws, but no pony castes have them at the moment.

Gzoker: Salvage being a source of produced technologies comes out of reverse-engineering being the main form of research. I intend the expedition system to alleviate that by producing low quantities of high-end tech, with salvage only yielding the raw materials necessary to build that tech.

> I'm really sad that leather barding is absolutely useless.
Leather isn't a viable form of protection.

Corai: I just tested this and found no problems. Several causes are possible, though yours is an odd case:

- The pony you're using is bugged.
- You don't have enough of one or more of the reagents. Reactions sometimes become available if only a part of a reagent stack it uses is around.
- You're using burrows that separate the forge from its stockpiles.

Thanks for the input everyone! :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:48:19 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: April 09, 2013, 03:22:53 am »

I have been thinking... there are techincal 'rules' for a D&D style game of FO:E and I have been wanting to play a small game, I planned on setting up an IRC server(As I suck with the maptool currently) and hold a session every once in a while and was wondering if anyone here was wanting to play a game. In other news...

Is it possible for a slaver caravan to leave caged slaved behind?

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:52 am »

I have been thinking... there are techincal 'rules' for a D&D style game of FO:E and I have been wanting to play a small game, I planned on setting up an IRC server(As I suck with the maptool currently) and hold a session every once in a while and was wondering if anyone here was wanting to play a game. In other news...

A DnD game? About FOE ponies?! Oh boy, oh boy! I havent read FOE itself, all I know about its universe is from this mod, and, my DnD skills a bit(like, 6-8 years) rusty, but if its OK, definately count me in. You can contact me via Skype, or private messages here.
This day going to be perfect!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:31 am »

Is it possible for a slaver caravan to leave caged slaved behind?
Yes.  Proceed murdering caravans as needed to acquire.

EDIT:
>> Having slaves loose their clothing once rehabilitated leads to all sorts of "FUN!"
>Heh, seems clothing at least is a valuable commodity in the wastes. :P
I specifically remember the reaction leaving behind clothing... my rehab center was full of clothes for a time.  Maybe the slave ponies eventually picked em back up cause I still had clothing problems that game.

Fun Tip: f you have migrants and clothing problems, you can murder halfall the newcomers for their clothes.
All it costs is a gravestone/coffin for each set of clothes.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:41:45 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: April 09, 2013, 10:35:15 am »

Okie dokie, time to make a slaver drowning trap :D

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: April 09, 2013, 07:11:53 pm »

So would making things out of low quality salvage be considered a huge waste of resources? Even in heavily forested areas, salvage vastly outnumbers actual trees, its kind of tempting to use the low quality stuff as just wood.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 210