Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 478194 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2295 on: April 09, 2013, 08:06:34 pm »

I played my 0.30b fort some more.

Plasma globs evaporate after loading the game and unpausing.

Dishes just got imprisoned for a 100 days for violation of Puppysmileses production order and can't get her baby, Witty Charmer, who crawls away. I wonder if he will survive that long without his mother. The violation is horseshit, because I specifically ordered plywood cages to be made. Dishes won't shut up about her missing baby. Ugh, DF (in)justice.

The traders will be leaving soon... and I almost forgot to trade with them. Hey, they brought silk :) Hm, the traders have "bronze coal box" for 500 bits. I'll take it, I guess. W00t? I have a stack of 54 food worth 21000. It consists of 4 stacks of exceptionally or masterfully minced quarry bush leaves. Quarry bushes are the best cash crop ever! I'll trade it to the caravan, I guess. Maybe they'll bring something interesting next time. They don't even have any pets or slaves with them. Hm, they have -steel medium calibre ammo box- for 36000. I can afford it, but I think, I'll pass. Looks like the "weird" items, like boxes not made out of "unopened boxes" come from import.

The pump gym is up and running... Although ridiculously over-engineered. The biggest issue with it is high water run-off. There should be fewer fortifications at the edge of the map, further away from the pumps and protected by raised bridges / floodgates. Actually... scratch that. The correct design is to not have edge-of-map fortifications and instead cut off the water input from the river with a raised bridge. That way it will be a closed loop system. It might even be feasible to connect it to the main water reservoir, contracting two projects into one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Badge is preparing our first expedition. The reaction propagated to just two ponies who were moved to the hospital (good thing that it is so close) and Badge just stands around inside the workshop.

One problem about this mod's workshops, especially ones that are supposed to propagate interactions is that they have so many unwalkable tiles. Do those obscure view?

Well, on the plus side Badge has no health problems now. On the minus side he looks like a blue mechanism and stands in one place even after the workshop was deconstructed. He also dropped all his items to the ground. He finally turns into a pony, stumbles around a bit and goes back to pickup equipment after I re-enable his squad. Mission accomplished. I don't see any loot, but that's OK.

Watching the expedition made me miss a radiation storm coming right through the camp. I didn't sound the alert and now some ponies are sick. Oh well.

Witty Charmer is getting thirsty. Meanwhile Dishes is standing on a pile of food and getting hungry, thirsty (there is a grate with clear water within her each) and drowsy, but she wouldn't shut up about her baby. I think she is on a hunger strike or something.

The pump gym proves to be everypony's favourite and it is quite full most of the time, even though there are 10 pumps. It also drains my FPS like crazy. I stop the pumps and disable hauling on Fishing Rod. The hospital is full of ponies who got caught in a radiation storm.

11 Immigrants arrive and some of them are good. In fact they pretty much compensate for the previous wave.

Ah, Silvertonge needed some rough gems for a strange mood and went berserk. I forgot about him. Well, intercept! The security deals with the problem before he harms anypony.

Dishes is still 50 days before her release and starving. She won, I let her go. The hospital got emptied as the ponies were diagnosed and released. Dishes is released (by deconstructing her chain), finds her baby, goes to get a drink and is hauled back to prison by Backflip. Witty escapes her again of course. I deconstruct all prisons.

It took some tries, but I get my first Nurse Redheart. It is of course pastured in the hospital. It walks close to the wall and not in the middle of the beds, where it should be. For now I won't make more anc conserve resources for Power Armours.

Carrot organizes another expedition is search of a miracle cure. 4 ponies are unconscious this time, so maybe it will even provide some salvage. My in-fluff explanation for miracle cures is that if there exists the technology for robobrains, stasis chambers, mind-machine interface, cybernetic implants and the like, advanced surgery and healing nerve damage should also be on the table. We are not like those wastelander butchers who perform medieval surgery on their wounded.

Come on game, give me something to use the military on. I have 80+ population, almost 10 veterans and twice as much expendables. If this goes on, I may have to go to the caverns, but I don't yet have power armours and one flamefthrower won't be enough against ghouls.

The wall and fortifications above it are finished for some time. All that's left are more complicated gates, with traps and mines. For example the EMP mine should be in a special airlock, just for the Rangers. Preferably invisible to soldiers above so that I can send just newbies with training weapons to mop up. Hm, maybe it would be easier to mine this thing out than to construct it?   

Should I use my last limited explosives to make more mines or more rigged sprite-bots?

The military is re-organised and is now 30 ponies strong, with 19 part-timers, used for expeditions. Hopefully this system will provide replacements for soldiers in a few years. Part-timers are to train all the time, with half their squads present. Oh, and internal security is going to be handled by Deadeye and Headshots. They will just beat misbehaving ponies with their rifles. Hopefully nothing fatal.

A caravan has arrived.

Carrot was healed by the expedition. No loot again, I think. He too dropped all his clothes on the ground and went away naked.

The first basic spell hologems are ready, but their making is delayed due to various hickups. We have rage and disorientation, but sompepony keeps hauling bins back and forth and it slows production to a crawl. Still, it is time to partition the Unicorns into schools. I guess I may need a spreadsheet for this. On the plus side, each spell can have it's own terminal and profile, so after the initial setup, this will get easier. There are a few magic apprentices, but the only adept had Conjuration and died to a Minotaur Reaver. Actually Conjuration adept would have been fine as that means learning all basic spells on level 2.

Alteration: Backflip, Lotus (A_App), Headshots | Buttercup (2nd), Scroll | Billows, Compass (R, A_App), Granite, Mother Butterfly (2nd), Puppysmiles, Plywood 
Destruction: Pierce, Hammertime | Bits, Bookworm, Books | Bone necklace, Epic, Machine Stitch, Parsnip, Pencils, Socks, Telltale 
Illusion: Friendly Fire, Steak, | Big questions, Traps | Catapult, Form, Marble Blocks, Pellet, Plank, Witty Charmer
Restoration: Lotus (2nd), Bloody Pulp | Buttercup (R_App), Ink | Clay Sculpture, Compass (2nd), Mother Butterfly (R_App), Pen, Sthethoscope, Sunny Days

The pasture interface is quite clunky when there are so many animals and robots around.

Dishes was beaten to death by Backflip. I guess I just can't win with justice. the prison is rebuilt. Witty Charmer is very unhappy and wanders around on his own. Maybe I shouldn't have appointed Badge as the executioner.

Evening Tale prepares for the next expedition. Pierce is going to be last, then. After that I'm going to review the health of everypony else.

One salvage yard seems to be unable to cope with the amount of salvage we have.

Now that we have chainswords, they should probably be in WMT and similar crates.

> Star Metal.
A natural choice here is T3 weapons: more deadly than T2 would be, even with starmetal chains.

> > I have to wonder if we might eventually have the option of forging Combat Armor (CA) out of other material besides steel?
> I can add the options for those to the prismatic forge, but they wouldn't provide much of an advantage over security barding.
And be just as heavy. Security armour slows the ponies down, but Combat Armour can hurt their speed much more. It is a good thing armour user can be trained.

> It's odd that you're experiencing failures in the upgrading reactions. I assume you're still using a Linux version of dfhack, so it may be related to that, but otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is - the reactions work fine in my own Stables. Have you tried pasturing the base creatures directly next to the worker tile or in the workshop?
I'm using WINE and am pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with my OS. I pasture a few different animals / robots directly adjacent to the workshop and in line of sight, assuming only walkable tiles don't block LoS. It may be a problem with range and duration of the interaction or too many unpassable tiles in the workshops. So far it worked in less than half the cases. Does anyone else have this problem?

> > I'm really sad that leather barding is absolutely useless.
> Leather isn't a viable form of protection.
Yes, for one, it failed to protect the previous user. (That was a joke.) Well, leather is better than nothing, but metal is much better and it should be so. This isn't Fallout, where leather armour can be quite OK. On the plus side, you can burn it for small amounts of ash.

> Fun Tip: f you have migrants and clothing problems, you can murder halfall the newcomers for their clothes.
I don't have to kill them on the purpose. They die in quantity anyway. Actually one metric I use for how good a DF player is is the number of deaths to his subjects: the lower the better, but I digress. If you want to mass kill migrants, better check their skills and cutie marks first. There is an occasional gem among all the socializers.

> So would making things out of low quality salvage be considered a huge waste of resources?
Pretty much all you loose is scrap ore, so if you have plenty, it is OK to cut LQS to plywood or burn it. If you make items directly out of scrap, they are heavy and plywood is lighter and over twice as efficient.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: April 09, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »

I fixed the problem I was having thanks to PSI. I needed metalcrafting on. Apparently I had disabled it at some point(probably from pressing enter twice) and never turned it back on. I'm so intelligent. :D
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:18 pm »

I got my first Dead on Arrival immigrant. His entire body was bruised, but his neck and head were completely gone. He reached the outer walls of my complex before suffocating.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:39 am »

I got my first Dead on Arrival immigrant. His entire body was bruised, but his neck and head were completely gone. He reached the outer walls of my complex before suffocating.

"Its just like the foal's tail... THE HEADLESS PONY!!! KILL IT!"

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:26 am »

I guess ponies don't need brains, just a way to breathe...
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:55 am »

I guess ponies don't need brains, just a way to breathe...
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050413

ancusohm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 10, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »

Hi

I've run into a strange problem in my game.  I have all this scrap metal ore, but, for some reason, I can't seem to smelt it into usable metal bars. 

I think I'm doing everything right.  I process salvage logs, and I get some scrap metal ore (or whatever the output is called).  However, when I go to a smelter and try to select the option to smelt scrap metal ore, the option is colored red, and it won't let me assign that job. 

I've only tried this with a regular wood powered smelter.  Do I need to use a prismatic smelter or something?  I know the smelter is working, because it lets me do other reactions.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

I haven't tried this in the new version, so maybe it will work with that.  I just want to make sure I'm not failing to do some step of the processing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 10, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »

Do you have coke stockpiled?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 10, 2013, 03:05:03 pm »

Are you using burrows? If so, make sure both the scrap pile and the smelter are covered by the same burrow.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:45 pm »

Are you using burrows? If so, make sure both the scrap pile and the smelter are covered by the same burrow.
It’s not a reaction, so the burrow bug won't matter.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 10, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »

Does it only affect custom reactions?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 10, 2013, 07:32:53 pm »

Iceblaster: I do recall a Fallout:Equestria DnD-like RPG. Here's the wiki.

Maklak: Oh yeah, I forgot that I added coal and ammunition boxes to traders. They can still be opened, but are placeholders for eventual faction-based supplies.

> One problem about this mod's workshops, especially ones that are supposed to propagate interactions is that they have so many unwalkable tiles. Do those obscure view?
They don't obscure view. In fact, the reaction-based interactions (except for expeditions) don't depend on line of sight - they can transmit through walls, allowing the interrogation interactions, for example, to convert chickens pastured outside a prison room into blanks.

> Expedition healing.
I may change expeditions to bring a brahmin along instead as the substrate for transformation.

> Now that we have chainswords, they should probably be in WMT and similar crates.
I envisioned chainswords and rippers as makeshift weapons developed after the Last Day.

> Workshop interaction problems.
Yes, feedback would be useful for this, as I just ran several reactions for Nurse Redheart conversions/assembly and they all worked when the Mr. Hooves or chicken was within 1-2 tiles of the workshop. I suspect it's related to how the Linux version of dfhack r3 interfaces with dwarf fortress run in WINE.

Thirtyeight: Heh, a headless pony walking up to the walls must've been quite the site for the guards. :P

Ancusohm: As the others have suggested, it may be a stockpiling/burrow problem, as the scrap smelting reaction is custom.

Edit to below: Plasma swords are on the development list for the next patch. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:44:53 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 10, 2013, 07:39:23 pm »

Can we have lightsabers as well as plasma lances?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »

Hi

I've run into a strange problem in my game.  I have all this scrap metal ore, but, for some reason, I can't seem to smelt it into usable metal bars. 

I think I'm doing everything right.  I process salvage logs, and I get some scrap metal ore (or whatever the output is called).  However, when I go to a smelter and try to select the option to smelt scrap metal ore, the option is colored red, and it won't let me assign that job. 

I've only tried this with a regular wood powered smelter.  Do I need to use a prismatic smelter or something?  I know the smelter is working, because it lets me do other reactions.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

I haven't tried this in the new version, so maybe it will work with that.  I just want to make sure I'm not failing to do some step of the processing.

My best guesses are that your smelter is linked up to a stone stockpile which either doesn't have any scrap metal, or it's 'give to' links have been set up wrong. Or if you left the scrap metal in the salvage yard like i do then maybe you set a stockpile to take from it, but then you would have problems with creates too. Or maybe you have accidentally forbid/marked them for dumping. Or simplest mistake that the ponies can't path to the scrap metal, like if you left it on the surface, or behind a closed door, or removed some stairs/ramps on the way to them.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »

Thanks Lycaeon, though I already found it before. I'm currently working on a map for the session me and Morhem planned(Or said will happen, I'm terrible with schedules)
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 210