Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472527 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2370 on: April 16, 2013, 04:01:25 am »

I'm not entirely sure what it will do, but IIRC better adventurer towns with dungeons, the ability to bring the fight to the enemy (possibly supplementing expeditions), multi-tile trees / salvage, changed combat mechanics, some UI improvements and I think that about covers it. For me the biggest and most awaited feature is the separation of movement and combat speed and multi-attack creatures. I don't think it will be nearly as good for modders as the interaction and syndrome system was. It may even be that dfhack r3 and it's scripts and plugins did more for modders than the new release will.

This update is going to be big and followed by months of bug-fixing releases until it is deemed stable. Tools (dfhack and DT) will also lag behind for a while, so don't get too excited on release day.

> Are we going to get sending squads to other places? I though that wasn't coming until the Army Arc.
There was something about hill dwarves and sending armies to other places on the dev blog, but I don't know if this is planned for the upcoming release or some future. "The army arc" was mentioned since about 2010, I think.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:37:09 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:20 pm »

I apologize, I got kind of carried away last night. I know next update is probably not going to be that amazing, I should have said future updates in general.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:42 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what it will do, but IIRC better adventurer towns with dungeons, the ability to bring the fight to the enemy (possibly supplementing expeditions), multi-tile trees / salvage, changed combat mechanics, some UI improvements and I think that about covers it. For me the biggest and most awaited feature is the separation of movement and combat speed and multi-attack creatures. I don't think it will be nearly as good for modders as the interaction and syndrome system was. It may even be that dfhack r3 and it's scripts and plugins did more for modders than the new release will.

This update is going to be big and followed by months of bug-fixing releases until it is deemed stable. Tools (dfhack and DT) will also lag behind for a while, so don't get too excited on release day.
Are we going to get sending squads to other places? I though that wasn't coming until the Army Arc.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:24 pm »

> Unless of course the prismatic forge now happens to have reactions for security armor.
Noted, I'll add one.

> I was under siege by Raiders, except some of them were on fire.
That's odd...I made all flammable materials into stone so they can't be used for items. If it happens again, can you check the inventory of the burning raiders to see what's causing the fire?

> Regarding the new version.
I haven't yet familiarized myself with its proposed features. Now that DFhack is heavily integrated into the mod, I can't port over to the new version until DFhack is updated, which could take a month or more. The good news is that's enough time for me to come up with and refine new features, including multi-tile ruins and an expanded expedition system.

I'm pretty sure the Army Arc and sending squads beyond your fortress aren't part of the coming update, however.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: April 16, 2013, 09:49:24 pm »

Random funny story:
A friend of mine invited me to come visit the Kansas City Park University. What's really cool about it is that a good bit of the college is built inside of the limestone caves under the campus. I was joking with him about how it looked like a Vault, and then Whoa! I walked around a corner and there was this giant gear set into the wall.

It turned out to be a rotary club gear, but still...
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what it will do, but IIRC
1. better adventurer towns with dungeons,
2. the ability to bring the fight to the enemy (possibly supplementing expeditions),
3. multi-tile trees / salvage,
4. changed combat mechanics,
5. some UI improvements and I think that about covers it. For me the biggest and most awaited feature is the separation of movement and combat speed and multi-attack creatures. I don't think it will be nearly as good for modders as the interaction and syndrome system was. It may even be that dfhack r3 and it's scripts and plugins did more for modders than the new release will.

6. This update is going to be big and followed by months of bug-fixing releases until it is deemed stable. Tools (dfhack and DT) will also lag behind for a while, so don't get too excited on release day.

> Are we going to get sending squads to other places? I though that wasn't coming until the Army Arc.
There was something about hill dwarves and sending armies to other places on the dev blog, but I don't know if this is planned for the upcoming release or some future. "The army arc" was mentioned since about 2010, I think.

1. No, that was actually last big version (34.01). We do get forest retreats, mountainhomes and deep sites, though.
2. Definitely not, except in Adventure mode.
3. Yeahoo.
4. Yep.
5. Not sure about that.
6. Definitely do not start a succession/community game with 38.01 or w/e it'll be. In fact, if there's a .01 in it, don't do it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: April 17, 2013, 04:37:55 pm »

After a look at the robot industry I'm now a fan of MK2 Protectaponies. Not as powerful as Mr Macintosh, but cheap to upgrade (save for the AI gem, which can be copied at the Talisman Forge) and don't have a flamethrower.

I'd also like there to be a third type of turret upgrade. Here is my rationale:
* Flamethrower turrets tend to set the map on fire, no longer have their basic small calibre bullet attack and I hardly ever saw them doing much to enemies.
* Miniguns and medium ammo crates are very expensive, scarce and useful for a lot of things. After thinking about it, I've decided to reserve at least the first five for battle saddles. Then there is reverse-engineering, other types of robots, as well as limited steel and potash production speeds to put my minigun turret production on hold until well after I get bored or FPS becomes unplayable.
* Basic turrets are pretty weak. They don't do much to enemies and are quite easy to damage.

I'd like some turret upgrade that gives it steel plating and maybe an extra attack or more damage. Less effective than minigun, but actually affordable to mass produce / upgrade. I have these ideas so far:
* Just put more armour on it and generally refubrish it. Uses up steel plating and maybe scrap parts and wiring. Gives it steel armour and slightly increases attack speed. (For example by lowering wait period on shooting bullet to 25.)
* Rifle turret. Needs steel plating, 2 combat rifles and at most 1 crate of medium calibre bullets. Preferably just 4 stacks of them. Shoots medium calibre bullets, but not nearly as fast as the minigun version.
* Energy turret. Uses steel plating, battery, wiring and a plasma caster. Shoots plasma bolts.

> Wasn't someone working on a Pink Cloud turret?
For me that would be even worse than flamethrower turrets. I want my turrets to kill enemies, not random ponies who just happened to be in the danger zone.

> Just out of curiosity, would it be possible for the craftshop to make items from paper, or would you need a new building for such things?
Craftpony's workshop makes socks, so it is possible to add custom reactions to it. This includes using paper as reagent, but to me the natural place for all paper-related things is the scriptorium. 

> Just because you don't like killing your ponies doesn't mean that no one else does.
There are easier ways to do that for people who want to. Burrow in the atom-smasher, closing door to a room so the pony will starve or sending that pony to patrol map edges with no armour or equipment are just a few. Heck, if you want turrets to kill ponies, flamers might do the trick. We don't need special turrets for this.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:52:43 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: April 17, 2013, 05:04:41 pm »

Wasn't someone working on a Pink Cloud turret?

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible for the craftshop to make items from paper, or would you need a new building for such things?

>For me that would be even worse than flamethrower turrets. I want my turrets to kill enemies, not random ponies who just happened to be in the danger zone.
I see your point.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:16:40 pm by Thirtyeight »

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: April 17, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »

Hm..my latest embark is half haunted/half mirthful (evil/good biome).  My group consists of one..count 'em..one unicorn stallion, three earth pony mares and three unicorn mares.  My stallion also likes to drink gutter crue and consume sun berries.

He's in heaven.

He'll probably be the first one to die.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »

After a look at the robot industry I'm now a fan of MK2 Protectaponies. Not as powerful as Mr Macintosh, but cheap to upgrade (save for the AI gem, which can be copied at the Talisman Forge) and don't have a flamethrower.

I'd also like there to be a third type of turret upgrade. Here is my rationale:
* Flamethrower turrets tend to set the map on fire, no longer have their basic small calibre bullet attack and I hardly ever saw them doing much to enemies.
* Miniguns and medium ammo crates are very expensive, scarce and useful for a lot of things. After thinking about it, I've decided to reserve at least the first five for battle saddles. Then there is reverse-engineering, other types of robots, as well as limited steel and potash production speeds to put my minigun turret production on hold until well after I get bored or FPS becomes unplayable.
* Basic turrets are pretty weak. They don't do much to enemies and are quite easy to damage.

I'd like some turret upgrade that gives it steel plating and maybe an extra attack or more damage. Less effective than minigun, but actually affordable to mass produce / upgrade. I have these ideas so far:
* Just put more armour on it and generally refubrish it. Uses up steel plating and maybe scrap parts and wiring. Gives it steel armour and slightly increases attack speed. (For example by lowering wait period on shooting bullet to 25.)
* Rifle turret. Needs steel plating, 2 combat rifles and at most 1 crate of medium calibre bullets. Preferably just 4 stacks of them. Shoots medium calibre bullets, but not nearly as fast as the minigun version.
* Energy turret. Uses steel plating, battery, wiring and a plasma caster. Shoots plasma bolts.

> Wasn't someone working on a Pink Cloud turret?
For me that would be even worse than flamethrower turrets. I want my turrets to kill enemies, not random ponies who just happened to be in the danger zone.

> Just out of curiosity, would it be possible for the craftshop to make items from paper, or would you need a new building for such things?
Craftpony's workshop makes socks, so it is possible to add custom reactions to it. This includes using paper as reagent, but to me the natural place for all paper-related things is the scriptorium.
Just because you don't like killing your ponies doesn't mean that no one else does.

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 17, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »

I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I usually wind up with much more paper, leather, and cloth than I need. I was thinking, what about paper trade goods, like books and comic books? Its true to both the games and the stories, and dye could be reintroduced as ink.

>Killing ponies
Maklak's right, having your military come down with necrosis because they were fighting invaders while you decided to introduce chemical warfare probably isn't the best of plans.

>mirthful biome and evil biome right next to each other
Is that even possible? I didn't think good biomes existed in this mod, and I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to border evil biomes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:06:16 pm by Thirtyeight »

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: April 17, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »

Yeah, it happens.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:31 am »

> I'd like some turret upgrade that gives it steel plating and maybe an extra attack or more damage.
> Rifle turret. Needs steel plating, 2 combat rifles and at most 1 crate of medium calibre bullets.
>  Energy turret. Uses steel plating, battery, wiring and a plasma caster. Shoots plasma bolts.
Good suggestions. I'll implement them in the next version.

> I usually wind up with much more paper, leather, and cloth than I need. I was thinking, what about paper trade goods, like books and comic books?
I don't think those are necessary, but I'll come up with other ways to use the extra materials.

> I didn't think good biomes existed in this mod, and I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to border evil biomes.
They're rare as they don't have a use yet. Eventually they'll be the site of the Everfree forest.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: April 18, 2013, 11:38:44 am »

Will Good biomes be easier to settle as in Vanilla, or will they have terrible hazards of their own?
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:08 am »

Will Good biomes be easier to settle as in Vanilla, or will they have terrible hazards of their own?
They are going to be the Everfree Forest, so yes, they will be harder.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 210