Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472645 times)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.88 beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:28 pm »

I might actually start to organize militia patrols now that you mentioned them, I've been having some problems with snatcher and thief assaults occurring at the same time of trade caravan appearances and my militia isn't quick enough to make it's way topside before the traders are killed.

You should consider raising a perimeter wall or at least building a moat around your surface area if you are going to keep half your industry there, it may not be that big of a problem right now, but sooner or later sieges and attacks are going to show up and it will be easier to defend your stable if you build a defensible bottlenecked position than keeping everything in the open like that.
Plus it will prevent unnecessary loss of life to random wildlife and ghouls.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:02 pm »

Am I the only one here who builds Stables with defense in mind? ;P

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 05, 2012, 06:40:24 pm »

My defence and industry was supposed to be underground and In my previous fortresses I always had a wall around the compund, but now it is just one damn thing after another and I keep postponing the wall.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 05, 2012, 06:55:51 pm »

I build with defense in mind.  I'm just terrible at having a military to man, er... pony the defenses.  I much prefer digging a ditch/moat to making a wall.  Far quicker, in my opinion.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 05, 2012, 07:20:18 pm »

I dig straight underground. The only thing I ever do aboveground is set up sniping towers; much more secure that way.
In other news, I'm trying an experiment. In the outpost Dimpledpeaceful, I'm not using unicorns for the military. Instead, every mud pony that shows up to the fortress will be drafted; only unicorns with magical skill or appropriate cutie marks will perform military duties. They're much safer behind a wall of pony flesh than in the line of fire.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 05, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »

I finally killed the feral minotaur with a perfect shot to the chest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the firing line it was chilling out in. It either laughed at the ponies missing every shot or was dodging them, presumably Matrix-style.

But you won't believe who killed it. A random peasant.

The shooter was an 89 year-old earth pony civilian conscript who happened to be one of the few to pick up one of our 7 anti-machine rifles. To make it even more awesome (or creepy), her cutie mark is a SMILING FLOWER and she is flimsy, susceptible to disease, and weak.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53:57 pm »

Some more feedback on the mod:

[FOUNDRY_STONE] reactions would make sense in either Craftpony's or Mason's workshop. I don't think there is a need for another workshop like this and I dislike having too many of them that just do a few things.

I think [PRESS_WATER] (out of quarry bush leaves) reaction  should leave behind some solid residue. Maybe usable for making ash or something. I understand that the point of this is making water for the hospital in dry embarks. Some other plants, like barrel cactus, should also work for this.

The "Cremate 10 vermin / posters / body parts" make more sense at the smelter or wood burner than at the Salvage yard, which is just for sorting scrap.

Consider adding [AUTOMATIC] to cremating 10 vermin and 10 body parts. the barding may be marginally useful for some. Better yet, if those reactions all produce 4 ash, I would prefer those reactions to cremate 5 and give me 2 ash.

[MAKE_BEDROLL] uses the same amount of cloth as a stone bed and is made at craftpony's workshop. Unless I use an expensive stone, like ore, to make the bed out of rock, I don't really see the point in stone beds when I have bedrolls. 

What is the point of bonfires? They have reactions that burn up wood, but what do they do? What is their purpose and application? Starting forest fires?

Consider adding more tools to the pack, like LNP does. dfhack and runesmith would be useful. Also, there is a patched version of the exe, with some bugs removed. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741 Finally, there is a tool to enable Large Address Aware for the exe. Any plans for a Linux edition? What you have now works under WINE, mind you.

In the RAWS the Scorpion (Enclave) Power Armour has twice the coverage of Steel Ranger armour. This is wrong, canonically the Rangers had much better protection. Plus plasteel is overpowered. Just consider what would happen if an ambush of the Enclave showed up. They should be beatable.
I know that DF players expect survivability for their best soldiers, but in FoE there is no Armour able to withstand a well-place AMR shot. The closest thing would be Alicorn Shield + Power Armour. Would you rather have the sword or the shield stronger in your mod? Consider nerfing armours across the board.

"item_food.txt": Although my ponies munch on feral dog meat just fine, I'd change the names of meals to something more vegetarian or "neutral", like "soup", "sandwich" and so on. Especially "mutton" doesn't seem fitting, as the name implies a meal made out of a lamb.
If you want to nerf the food industry, go ahead and leave only two ingredient prepared meals.

Playwood may help a little bit with wood conservation, especially with dismantling, but has value 0 (!). I strongly disagree with this and want it to have value 1, otherwise quality is meaningless for  plywood items. To get it you still have to build a workshop with a serrated disc, so there should be some benefit to it. If you want ways to nerf plywood further:
a) Sawmill could require power. Putman said this is impossible. 
b) Plywood needs glue. I believe some kind of glue can be made out of bones, so 1 wood + 1 bone -> 10 plywood would work fine, I think.
c) Have the dismantling always net less plywood than was used to make the item (minimum 1). I think now hive is the only thing without 100% return from dismantling.
If someone wants to cheese and make and dismantle furniture repeatedly until everything is masterwork, that takes some effort to do and should be allowed. It also seems legit as a way of training a carpenter.
Is the point of having a separate plywood workshop not cluttering the list of things in carpenter's workshop?

Crusader maneframes were very rare and a pinnacle of technology. Unless there is a way for it to run the fort for the player, I strongly suggest having just a "generic" maneframe for a name. Adjectives such as "Industrial-class", "Powerful", "Arcane", "High-end" or similar would also work. Finding a crusader maneframe in scrap would be like finding google mainframe farm in an abandoned building after a war. At best you would get some datacenter, which is nothing to sneeze at in itself.
On a similar note, I dislike having Spitfire's Thunder and Little Macintosh in the game. Those are supposed to be unique.

You said that you don't want the BB chests to grant too many BBs, not to drown the player in them, with the ability to make them from bone and wood. Well:
a) Wooden crossbow bolts aren't much good. In your mod even bone pellets don't do much besides bruising unarmoured opponents.
b) Making bone BBs takes a lot of time, as they are produced in batches of five, instead of from the whole stack. With a semi-reliable source of BBs, I can just atmo-smash the bones and free up 1-3 ponies for other jobs.
c) Having lots of BBs is useful to train soldiers without wasting more valuable ammunition.
d) They can always be sold or smelted or atom-smashed. Heck, at least one of these things should be doable without even opening the BB box. It's not like it is an automatic reaction.

Chainsaw rifle is as ridiculous as it is useful. Maybe I should have equipped my melee squad with axes instead of machetes.
In reality... well, a chainsaw is scary, but against armoured opponents it is unwieldy and prone to failure. Bone, a wire or a rock damage it very quickly.

Install SATS: Canonically all stable dwellers have SATS by default. Having this reaction makes one feel "teching-up", though. I'm on the fence about this.
On another note, in FoE EFS is explained as magical, while in those FPS Fallouts its range increases with the player's perception, which means it is just a way the game tells the player, what his character hears and smells from afar. Should SATS reveal invisibles, if it is magical? Probably not. Invisibility is magical too.

Idea for a new item: Installing a motion sensor like SATS would boost Observer skill permanently.

"Wiring" -> "Scrap electronics" ?

> "Battle saddles for everypony. A flametower turret at every home."
While the notion of purifying heretics with holly prometheum may be appealing to some, I believe the ponies are too stupid to handle flamethrowers safely. That's why I prefer miniguns, but they take a lot of resources to make into battle saddles or turrets.

Scrap metal seems to be found in small clusters all over sedimentary layers. Good.

I find the bar that opens drinks unnecessary. The still could do that without an additional workshop. Furthermore, I think the reactions for drinks that don't boost stats should be automatic.

CM "fish and rod" -> "Her natural charisma..." I thought she was another fisherpony, but I got myself a politician. Lol. I get many ponies with talents in social skills.

Some CMs are frequent in my fort. Notably out of less than 60 ponies, I had 4 "Red cross and a splint", several "An Apple", a few gunners, lots of smiley faces and consolers and some other CMs were more than one. Still, the birthday attack applies here. To have a very good chance of having a 100 unique CMs in a given fort, you would need a pool of around 10k, which isn't feasible.

My world is called "Pastuniverse". Lol.

There is no sprite-bot upgrade. There could be "Plasteel shell" that makes it much more enduring. Still, those bots loose wings, antennae and weapon before they are destroyed, so it wouldn't make much difference anyway.

I haven't noticed any guards showing up with caravans. Those can't take out ambushes by themselves, but can usually handle the odd raider or ghoul just fine.

Your bullets aren't the same as the ammo and can't be reused. Smart.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:06:37 pm by Maklak »
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 05, 2012, 09:34:17 pm »

Sawmill couldn't require power, that's something modders can't do.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

I don't care to give my ponies flamethrowers either, as they tend to have way too much collateral damage.  Can we get a Mr. Hooves upgrade for the plasma caster but not the flamer?  Or a plasma turret?  Heck, give the spritebots plasma attacks with an upgrade.  I like plasma, what can I say? :P
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 05, 2012, 10:08:58 pm »

Pokon, the first cavern layer will be left as the salvage layer as I have other plans for the second and third layers. I found a bug that stopped robots from spawning, so that will be fixed by the next version.

Jacob, you're looking good! :) How did the steel ranger ambush go? And "Champion Chuckskins the Sport of Influencing"? That minotaur must've been a football player in his past life. :o

Maklak, I'm really enjoying your Stable exposition. The screenshots are one thing I especially like about DF in general…the level of detail in each alone is enough to imagine the story of a Stable and the ponies struggling for survival within it. :) I also really appreciate the time you've taken to provide feedback...many thanks for that! :D

The stone foundry stays as the mason's workshop doesn't accept custom reactions and the craftsman's workshop is more dedicated to small crafts. I also have other potential reactions in mind for it.

Good point on being able to press water from cacti...I've added that to the list for the next version. Leaving residue behind would be too specific...many other plant processing reactions don't leave anything but the seeds and product.

The smelter and wood burner don't take custom reactions either (the kiln does, but it's not exactly a crematorium) so I've left those reactions in the salvage yard for now.

I'll double the amount of cloth necessary for a bedroll.

Bonfires are nifty for starting fires where you need them, like if you need a way to get rid of an overflowing pile of refuse. :)

Dfhack and runesmith have lots of extraneous functions, and are available independently for those who want them. Linux and exe modification are something I may look into for the full version, like ASCII, but for now I'd like to keep the mod streamlined for development.

The scorpion and steel power armors are both placeholders that will be replaced with something else when I release the next version. The other armors will be revamped as well.

I'll remove some of the meat-related dishes in the food list.

I'll also give plywood a value of 1 and reduce dismantling yields. Power however is something that can't be given to custom buildings, and the carpenter's workshop doesn't accept custom reactions. No glue though...I'd like to keep plywood use simple.

The crusader maneframe and healing talisman (Did you really look through every inch of my raws? ???) don't have any uses now, so I'll remove them. I will, however, keep Spitfire's Thunder and Little Macintosh in...even though they're supposed to be unique, they add flavor to the gameplay (as well as increased power :P). I'll replace them later with single-use "development schematics" presumably made when designing them.

Stable ponies originally had increased observation due to EFS, but I removed this as spotting ambushes became too easy. Similarly, every single one of your ponies having SATS installed would be too much of a benefit for early Stables. Observer skill is impossible to boost through interactions, but you can train it at the philosopher's garden.

In the FoE universe, gemstones form the basis of technology, with processing matrices (a type of talisman) replacing electronics in terminals and robots. I will eventually add the ability to construct your own talismans out of gemstones (hence the ability to forge power armor from processing matrices at the prismatic forge) but for now they're only available in crates.

Unsafe flamethrower use is !!FUN!! :D

The cutie mark system is a holdover from my previous mod, and will eventually be revamped with a greater variety of cutie marks. That's low priority at the moment though, as the system works for now and is closely linked to many of the other aspects of the mod.

I plan to add reactions to modify your sprite-bots into suicide bombs you can launch at your enemies. Don't expect this anytime soon though.

Wastelander, Stable, and Slaver caravans all should have guards (At least, my last stable's traders had them). I can even see Stable guards in your screenshots. However, if anyone else has caravans showing up without guards, let me know.

Again, thanks for the feedback Maklak! :D

Edit: Plasma battle saddles and turrets are somewhere down the development list, as they're not a conventional weapon and will require talisman manufacturing to be practical.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:56:24 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:02 pm »

Maklak, I'm really enjoying your Stable exposition. The screenshots are one thing I especially like about DF in general…the level of detail in each alone is enough to imagine the story of a Stable and the ponies struggling for survival within it.  I also really appreciate the time you've taken to provide feedback...many thanks for that!

I participated in Dawnpick community fort. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96608.0 (So did Khenhal, by the way. Hi to you and its nice to see, you're still into pony mods for DF.) Telgin did an amazing job at it and even provided pictures for the characters. I gave the thread some additional suggestions and info dumps.
Anyway, my point is, I was learning from a good teacher and like I said, I'm considering this mod for a community game of my own. (It may take a back seat to helping make a board game with ponies versus Discord based on Talisman, we'll see.) (The other mod is Loosing is Magic. There is a creepy pony mod too, but I'm not into it.) My Stable exposition is very quick and dirty and a far cry below the quality I would have to provide for a community fort, but I'm glad it's still entertaining.

Providing critical feedback seems to be one of the few things I'm reasonably good at. Maybe I should work as a tester or something. On the downside, I'll likely get bored and leave for something else before v1.0

(Did you really look through every inch of my raws? )

Well, I've skimmed some parts, but the documentation in first post is fragmentary, you told me yourself to "go look at the RAWs to figure things out" and I did that once with Pony Mod 1.71 for DF 31.25 and it worked. I didn't look at all your stuff, just the "important" parts, like items and reactions. As you can tell by now, I'm no modder myself, but I understand some of the RAWs just by looking at them.

> Stable ponies and SATS.
Yes, from game balance perspective that would be overpowered. Besides, I'm not a fan of SATS myself. I liked the old isometric, turn-based Fallouts more.

In the FoE universe, gemstones form the basis of technology, with processing matrices (a type of talisman) replacing electronics in terminals and robots. I will eventually add the ability to construct your own talismans out of gemstones (hence the ability to forge power armor from processing matrices at the prismatic forge) but for now they're only available in crates.

Yes, gems are connected by wires, so having wiring as connectors and gems as electronic parts makes a lot of sense. But then maybe you should be able to make your own wiring, not just salvage the old ones. Copper, Silver, Gold and their alloys might be good, but there should be some kind of insulator too. Not that it's important. I got enough of it from low quality salvage to not care much either way.

Maybe I just didn't notice the guards. They all looked as if they were leading brahmin to me and I didn't v->i over them.

I #prospect'ed my embark and have 3 types of gems and Tetrahedrite. A very lousy embark in vanilla, but the scrap makes up for it... which is kinda the point, really. This mod is playable with just using the things from DF or their equivalents, but pursuing at least some of the salvaged technologies is very worthwhile. Of course this means importing lots of gems from the liaison, though.

That target practice on the Minotaur was really scary. I've heard about "steel spider megabeast" in vanilla, but the Minotaur is made tough by design. Hopefully we'll get something even more deadly than AMRs. Missile launchers? Energy Weapons? It reminds me of WH40k Imperial Guard motivational poster. "All I need is one lucky shot. And I won't stop shooting till I get lucky."

BTW, I really like the song with "Someday the rain will wash it all away."
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:17 pm »

Oh yes.
OH YES.
OH YEAH!
I got a box. A very special box. Do you know what I have in my box?
Power armor.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2012, 12:14:00 am »

Very well then. I will leave the subterranean salvage as is until I find a reasonable substitute that can replace them in the caverns and still yield salvage. :)

I would suggest that one of the layers ( 1st or 2nd, probably) is designated the "mostly functioning pre-war bunker" type area with plenty of powerful robots and ghouls to offset your possible salvage industry becomeing extremely productive.

In essance.

1st layer: no salvage, Hellhounds and ghouls galor, possibly plants and "minor" wild robots for possible scraping. Something like "Cave Squealer", in other words, a blind, increadably fat docile pig, might work as a "reward" food animal of sorts.

2nd layer: More robots of varying doom-bringing ability along with ghouls and/or mutant abominations, lots of salavage and possibly some sort of "Stable Apple" or some sort of high-value plant. Star Berries? Might have Hellhounds down here too?

3rd layer:??? (It's ghouls all the way down, an't it?)

I agree with this completely. I just wish I could have gotten here sooner to say it.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2012, 12:30:59 am »

Whoa. Um.
I'll have to try this mod sometime when I'm not distracted by shiny things.

I got a box. A very special box. Do you know what I have in my box?

Your box is filled with poison lobsters?!

ender1200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:05 am »

The problem with little macintosh and spitfire thunder is fluff wise they bouth yould be much more fitting as Artifacts.
is there a way to force world Gen to create an artifact with a certin name? becouse if there is than i would offer to make them world gened artifact that can be found on Adventure mod (mybe making them a very rare category of items that can only generate in certin areas such as abandond factories).

Also any chance for Dashite immegrents? They should be rare thogh.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 210