Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472655 times)

ender1200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.88d beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #525 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:23 pm »

So after getting tired of seeing ghouls chase my Ponies around all the time, i desided to update to 0.88d.

I got a nice world at the second generation, and started a fortress in an untamed wilds area.
So far so good. My map has a river with a one level waterfall. I spoted some rad scorpions, but they are on the other side of the river and do not harras my ponies. That gives me time to work in peace 'till something spawns in my side. I allso got some radiated dust stormes, but by that point all my ponies were underground.
So far i haven't gotten very far. my diggers finished digging the entrance and some space for strage and industries. next step is to dig a dining hall, living quarters and offices. And start metal and salvege industry going.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 11, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »

The Stable of Gleeflickered has received it's last migrants today. Twenty ponies are all that are left; twenty ponies to repopulate the Wasteland and bring the magic of friendship back to life.
At least, we'll die trying to do that.
It's a pretty pathetic embark, to be honest. Black sand desert with no minerals and no plant life; teaches me to not pay attention to the pre-embark details. There's a magma pool in the second cavern, though, so I'm going to set up shop in there and scavenge what I can from the first layer. Besides the three melee soldiers I embarked with (swordsponies; I'm looking forwards to chainswords ;P) I've got three good Gunner candidates, and while nopony with magical talents managed to show up I got a good doctor, so I'm going to buy some slaves for him to practice on come Spring. With a decent population already I doubt I'll actually need them for anything.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:17 pm »

I can't download the new update for some reason or another. Tried on two computers so I'm chalking it up to problems with the hosting, I'll try again later.

In other news, I'm creating my own personal entity. I've never really liked the whole vault dweller thing in any of the Fallout games, which is why New Vegas and Tactics are my two favorite games in the series since the characters have little to no connection with those bland holes in the ground. It's just far more interesting to me being a wastelander than some messiah from a vault. That's not to say I'm just modding wastelanders, my ponies are a paramilitary organization that do what the Steel Rangers should be doing, clearing the land and bringing order, cept that's a bit hard to do without all the power armor and miniguns. They're very much a 'scrounge and cobble together what you can and pray it works' type of civilization and I'm adding in more items to reflect that.

Now, someone that's used them, what can you do with raw ordinary bought and paid for slaves (besides cruel first hand weapons training). You have to rehabilitate them to get any actual use out of them, don't you?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.88e beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #528 on: December 11, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »

I've discovered some typo errors with the workbench file made when I removed the toolbox. The fixed version has been released as v0.88e, along with a raws only version for faster downloading. This should also fix any hosting errors present.

v0.88e is save-compatible with v0.88d: the only file you need to replace in your save raws is reaction_workbench.txt

To reiterate the changes made from v0.88.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As always, let me know if you encounter any issues.  :)

Indigo, you have to rehabilitate/fully enslave purchased slave ponies before they'll begin working for you. There will be a third option to convert them into robobrains in the larger update.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:22:58 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:54 pm »

wELL AREN'T YOU....... Well aren't you just the sweetest?

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 11, 2012, 07:43:23 pm »

My newest fort crumbles because of a black radscorpion eating everypony.  The logical response?  Embark in an evil area with my terribad military skills.  I see no way for this to go wrong.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:37 pm »

Something I have noticed is nearly every single pony that arrives has some some of military training. This is actually really nice. My entire fortress, with the exception of custom profession/named ponies, are easily drafted into the military, without the negative thought of drafting. Yes, there are a few who have no combat skills, they get to join the hauler/mason squads.

With the rock grinding reaction, is it a random chance to spawn any sort of gem, or is it based on the type of stoned used? I am preparing a MASSIVE rock grinding operation, and I wanna know if it's gonna be worth while trying damn hard to get a couple diamonds to make into Pristine Universal lenses for my magic research.

Also, which area has the highest ratio of valuable scrap? I'm figuring Untamed Wilds, but would it be worth it to try in Joyous Wilds or Terrifying, to try and get those delicious crashed skywagons and tanks, along with some terminals?

As for issues of native fauna wrecking yer base, you can try at embark to, well, cheat. If you get Makeshift, or better yet, Antique wood for your starting wooden tools, you can easily sell them back for a MASSIVE profit, and outfit your Stable with a couple turrets and War Protectoponies, along with plenty of supplies. Yeah, it's pretty cheap, but I swear by starting the game with four security turrets. Set them at the four corners of your base of operations, and any native wild life that scurries too close it gonna get lit up. Yeah, they are small caliber bullets, but they are enough to cause wild life to back away.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:10:22 pm by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 11, 2012, 08:22:35 pm »

@Kel the Oblivious:
Some civilisations just are like that. It probably means there was a war recently. This happens in vanilla DF too.

Rock Grinding takes 10 rocks and has small changes of making ores and gems. It doesn't care which rocks.

The manual says, that a high ratio of valuable salvage is in Savage and Evil areas. I just buy medium quality salvage from caravans and may eventually be able to start exploring the caverns.

Wealth doesn't help with defence much. My robots and turrets can barely stand up to anything. My legendary +5 gunners keep getting killed by ghouls and I have no replacements. I think that only danger room training elite melee squads is a viable defence.

@Lycaeon
SERIOUSLY, NERF THOSE FUCKING GHOULS. The moment one of them dies, another comes to my embark and they just zero in on my camp and rush in to kill, are very fast, and so durable that even medium calibre bullets don't do much to them. Even high quality bronze barding offers maybe 50% protection against them in melee. 
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 11, 2012, 08:50:29 pm »

Kel: At the moment, advanced magical spells can only be used by a select few ponies, so it's not worth expending large effort on more than the basic-level spells over armor/weapon production and military training. Furthermore, certain enemies like the Unity Alicorns are magic resistant, so spells won't work on them.

High quality surface salvage shows up in evil and savage areas, along with plenty of ghouls and other dangerous wildlife. You'll want to be prepared before even embarking.

Maklak: What biome type did you embark in? You seem to be getting enough ghouls for an evil or savage region.

As for the ghouls themselves, a well-trained squad of 5 ponies with bronze armor and chainswords/saws should be able to take on three times its number of ordinary ghouls with only moderate injuries. I tested this myself after I nerfed their speed slightly. And gunners should fight from behind fortifications, not in the open. Ghouls can't feel pain, so they're not stopped by bullets unless hit in the vitals - melee weapons bleed them out much faster.

The only real dangerous ghouls are the glowing ones and reavers - these should not be engaged in melee unless you have a full steel-equipped squad.

However, I will probably nerf ghouls somewhat further - they are a bit stronger than what I envisioned them to be. Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: Also, the basic robots you can purchase are civilian models. They're not really effective in heavy combat until you upgrade them (see the robots guide under workshops and industries).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:03:22 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 11, 2012, 08:53:09 pm »

Savage areas have some high quality stuff, though they tend to have a lot of the rad scorpions.  Evil areas have a goodly amount of high quality salvage, but also tend to have feral ghouls.  Evil savage areas have tons of the good stuff, but also have lots of ghouls and scorpions.  You can get lucky and find an evil area without the ghouls.  My current fort is evil, but I haven't seen any ghouls above ground yet. 
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

So, to the Savage Evil it is!

The only concern I have for above ground hazards are rad storms. They always seem to get at least one pony, no matter how hard I try. I have even had them spawn inside of my fortification aboveground. That one was horrible.

Provided ghouls don't radiate massive amounts of radiation, yet, I can handle them fairly easily. Once you get your metal industry up and running, it's a good idea to upgrade all machetes into chainswords, all hacksaws into chainsaws. Limbs flying everywhere. I have found that sledges and batons are completely useless against giant vermin. I watched a caravan guard beat a black rad scorpion for a season. Think was red all over, but still trying to attack him. Seeing as one good sting is enough to kill your pony due to venom, it's best to have bladed weapons against native wild life.

Against armored invaders, I much prefer the baton and sledge. Rattle 'em up inside that tin can boys!
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:06 pm »

The use of turrets is for early on, when your only threats are the wild life. Yes, turrets are next to useless against any armed force, but to keep those pesky rad scorps away from your camp at start, they are handy. They will scare off wildlife, and you can put them around your front gate to provide a stationary sentry against thieves and snatchers. Will do piss all most of the time, but I have seen them drop a bloatsprite from time to time

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 11, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »

Bleh, accidentally saved just after the planned FTB attack, lost one riflepony to the FTB's poisonus gas but had no other losses or injuries.
Problem is, I now have a fey pony who demands three bones, of which I have only one available, and a whole horde of snatchers and thieves literally just outside the surface entrance.
Stationing the militia by the bridge while assigning my workers to construct serrated disc traps is the smartest course of action, but it doesn't always go very smoothly, in two current attempts I lost three soldiers, in the second attempt I lost one soldier, but had four crippling injuries.
Need to figure this out somehow, just gotta get lucky, might have to slaughter a pet or something.

Turrets are force multipliers and anti-trap avoiders.
Build a killing room with pits lining a bridge or catwalk, place your turrets behind fortifications where the enemy can't reach them, the turrets will fire and the targets will attempt to dodge them, resulting in them falling down the pits.
If you place them in towers protected by fortifications and walls they will act as sentries for you and chase of most wildlife and scare away uncovered raiders and snatchers.
An uncovered and unprotected turret is a bad turret.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 11, 2012, 10:46:37 pm »

My fort continues.

A feral Pegasus Ghoul attacks Lilly Butterfly. About half its hits are dodged or deflected, but he quickly bruises her flanks, torso and hind legs, despite her security barding. Her counter-attacks are feeble. Even a headshot with a masterwork *dog bone pellet* just dents the monstrosity's skin. It makes Lilly Very unhappy. Apple Pie and Psalms manage to get a few clear shots. Small calibre bullets tear through it, while steel pellets make bruises instead of just dents. Lilly gets some bruises on her forelegs, while the ghoul quickly accumulates more serious wounds. Lilly gets kicked in the head and killed, despite her =bronze security helmet=.   
  The ghoul goes after Apple Pie next, while under fire by Psalms, Gypsum Casts and a protectorpony. Apple Pie gets a bruise, and the ghoul moves on. The dense forest makes it difficult for the soldiers to aim. The ghoul manages to damage the robot's leg, but is finally taken down by a kick to the head by Psalms.
  Apple Pie gets promoted to lead the BB rifle squad.

The wastelander caravan arrives. They have a few guards.

On 19th of August the water freezes over.

The security uses up around 50 bullets killing two radscorpions and a feral pegasus ghoul. Shortly afterwards another ghoul shows up, as well as two wolves. I thought wolves were extinct by those feral dogs. They are chased around by an enraged feral ghoul.

The backlog of work is pushed back a bit. The ponies are salvaging and cutting wood again.

Plow has grown to become a Filly. She didn't distinguish herself in any way. She is briefly considered as a recruit, but Nerdie reminds us that newbies die quickly. Plow gets to be a farmer and do all kinds of odd jobs, like carrying things around.

Fleur goes to trade with the caravan. We get some metal bars, glass, unsorted salvage, wood, rope, another security turret, a dog, some drinks, a few spare barrels and buckets, a hunting rifle, barrel cactus seeds (there is a crazy idea for a greenhouse), all their anvils, some fish, vegetables, yarn, cheese, a splint and a few crutches, and a wheelbarrow. They get several antique barrels filled with internal organs of feral dogs, a copper shield, some old copper horseshoes, carved dog skulls and a few other unneeded things.  The price they offered for bone pellets was so low that it was better to keep them. They got a good profit and we didn't even have to offer any roasted dog meat to them. Hopefully they'll bring more things nest time. (( They brought a saltpetre block. It is useless. ))

A batch of coffins is finished and installed. Hopefully it will be enough for quite a while.

The new turret is positioned on top of the trash compactor. Hopefully it will give it a good spotting and shooting position, without endangering it and without being blocked by all those trees.

A feral ghoul engages Hail of Metal. It gets shot by turrets and pistoleers and 12 small calibre bullets get stuck in it's body, bruising it all over. A protectorpony joins the fight and the ghoul is killed without a bruise on the robot or Hial of Metal.
  Meanwhile an Earth Pony Ghoul wounds Psalms and damages a sprite-bot on the other side of the camp.

There is almost enough ponies who aren't busy now to make building a wall around the camp viable.

The merchants are embarking on their journey.

Another feral pegasus ghoul kills Prime Rib. The rest of security chases it and shoots at it. It wounds Apple Pie, but Nerdie comes to the rescue.

Another ghoul kills a sprite-bot and a merchant. There seem to be no end to their attacks. For every one we kill, another one arrives. Bulwark Defense, one of the caravan guards, engages two more of those monstrosities. Trigger Happy finally makes it into a shooting position where he sees the one chasing the now toothless and almost dead brahmin. It charges Trigger Happy instead and looses it's teeth in turn. Prime Rib shoots the ones that fights with a guard. Nerdie comes along and kills the one that fought Trigger Happy, while the guard finishes with his two.

We luck out on crates from salvage from the wastelanders as well as our local one. There are all kinds of them: unmarked, MoP, MoI, MWT, Ironclad and Robronco. They contained a Robronco processing matrix, Charged Batteries, Schematics for a flame-thrower, another Stable-Tec processing matrix, two engineering training hologems, flamer fuel, a minigun, three combat rifles, a terminal interface, a small and medium calibre ammo boxes, some ammo that's too large to fit in a rifle, another depleted chainsaw, some posters and a canister with healing potions. Jackpot. This brings us a step closer to building a terminal.

There are now enough rock salt blocks to begin the construction of the wall around this camp.

Eight migrants arrive, which brings the population up to 53. There is a second armoursmith and some promising soldiers among them.

A foalnapper is spotted and killed by Hail of Metal, who by now has reached maximum proficiency with firearms. Meanwhile two ghouls attack the camp. One is killed in crossfire after it emits some toxic clouds, damages a few robots and wounds a dog.

More ghouls come along. One of them wrecks a turret. Another kills Hail of Metal, then Smashing Hoof and severely wounds Apple Pie.

Gypsum Casts is promoted to pistoleers, despite lack of training. Fast Reloads joins the BB squad. Brass, Apple Leaf, Library Card and Herbal are going to form the new melee squad with chainsaws. I only have 3 of them, including a copper one, so Herbal gets a security baton.

Puppy Smiles is taken by a fey mood. She takes a tough carpace and begins construction. Disappointingly, she made a trumpet. On the plus side, she is now the most skilled leather worker.

Apple Pie just lies in the dirt, with nopony to move her to the hospital.

A stable caravan has arrived. Hopefully they brought some good stuff, like robots.

Two feral ghouls severely wound Nerdie. Meanwhile a Steel Ranger scout shows up. This means there's probably more of them. The wall is still unfinished and only the outer supports are mostly done. Fast Reloads rescues Nerdie, but gets wounded in the process. The scout gets stopped by a salvo of fire, but this buys the last ghoul more time. Enough to kill Fast Reloads. A sprite-bot buys Nerdie even more time, while the soldiers shoot. The freak is finally brought down. Another Earth Pony ghoul charges into the camp and is brought down.

Nerdie made it to the hospital on his own, but Apple Pie still lies in the dirt outside and gets thirsty. There isn't even a job to move her to the hospital, so my prognosis is bad.

Another Feral Pegasus Ghoul comes along. It damages the turret on top of trash compactor.

I buy most of what I wanted from the traders, including steel, most of their robots, except Mr. Hooves, leather, high quality salvage, saltpetre and other things. Even with selling most of our prepared food, there just isn't enough of it to buy over 70k worth of goods. Requesting those things in the first place has inflated the price by half.

The protectorponies are trained for war (I wonder if the upgrade reaction will still work for them). Four turrets are positioned on top of buildings to have better overview. More are planned for the corners of the wall and the entrance.

Colonel Brass throws a tantrum because he is missing one shoe, was drafted and lost a spouse recently.

A thief shows up, but is chased away. On the other side of the camp, a radscorpion crawls through the unfinished wall and is engaged by two ghouls. The now increased number of robots and a soldier or two shoot at the fight. The ghouls die and the scorpion retreats on the other side of the wall to wait for an opportunity to strike at the masons.

North of the camp two more ghouls disrupt the salvage operation, chase Caprice and walk into the leaving caravan. They kill Caprice and engage the caravan guards. Caprice was one of the best bonecarvers, a pretty good crafter and mason overall and one of my personal favourites. Fuck you ghouls! The caravan guards make short work of them.

A quick inspection of the hospital reveals that both Nerdie and Apple Pie have lost their ability to stand and are overall in a very bad condition. Nerdie has a ridiculous amount of suturing, dressing and setting bones ahead of him. Seven of his body parts are severely wounded.

Some feral pegasus ghouls are exterminating bloatsprites and sprite-bots. I order the ponies to stop gathering refuse from outside. About half of the wall is done. The ghouls chase around and wound some ponies who went to pick up equipment. Where the heck is what's left of my military when I need them? Ah, fighting off what's left of the bloatsprite invasion.

Oh, and someone asked. Both Apple Juice and Pesky questions are still alive and unharmed.

Current population is 49/60.

I have depleted chainsaws, charged batteries, and toolboxes, but can't recharege chainsaws for some reason. The stockpiles are right next to the workshop. Oh well, I'll use them depleted.

Pictures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<--Previous
Next-->

I think I embarked in a relatively nice place, but it is still cold, there are radiation storms and all those ghouls. I have thousands trees on the map, but well below a 100 medium quality salvage, so this probably isn't a savage embark. 

Ministry posters and party helmets have value 0. Give them value 1 at least. Even rocks have value 1.

While it goes against FoE cannon and those FPS Fallouts, ghouls in original Fallouts were slow. Can we have them slower than an average pony? Oh and how do I recognise the type of a ghoul? Some emit clouds of radiation and some don't, but I haven't noticed any differences in names or descriptions. Did I mention how I hate those things? They are the prime cause of death in my fort.

u->m->q->search for "medium". There are a few reactions that look the same. This is also true for many other reactions introduced with this mod, including making pistols.

In the stockpiles depleted chainsaws and normal chainsaws look the same and are just called "chainsaw".

I finally figured out the finished goods stockpile. You have to enable "toys" and "tools" under type and only then deselect everything else and select all kinds of "(Tool..." and (Toy..." in Stone/Clay. It didn't work at first, because I skipped the first part.

What should I make out of 12 bars of steel? Security helmets?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:59:58 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 11, 2012, 10:51:45 pm »

I'd vote for helmets. Seems the ghouls keep getting kills by hoof blows to the head.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 210