Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472800 times)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.88e beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #570 on: December 13, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »

Or, you know, DFhack 'clean all'...

Blood and dirt isn't as funny when it covers 2000 tiles and units, FPS tends to go fuck itself after some of the really big battles.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »

Also, what about a decontamination shower? Requires a water talisman, has 3 reactions. Decontaminate hits them with a syndrome that wipes out light radiation exposure, Bath gives them a happy thought syndrome (if possible), and a third reaction that tires them out but trains swimming.
[quote a

Have to say, I like the general idea behind this, but the latter idea is probably impratical. Besides, if a pony is half-dead in some mildly irraditated water, chances are that he is doomed to death from a wandering ghoul or something.

How about Beastlords civilisation from Fallout: Tactics? I think Buffalo would be appropriate. Give them tough leather barding, tier 1 melee weapons (no powered versions), maybe rifles and lots of dangerous monsters as pets and mounts: Manticores, (Black) Radscorpions, GCS, wolves or dogs, maybe even Dragons. They may trade with you or siege you. Yes, this civilisation resembles the elves from vanilla. If they trade with you, they sometimes bring exotic pets. Otherwise it's mostly cloth, food, leather, wood and salvage.

I would rather have the Buffalo be a isolationist, tribal civ that would probably not be too unlike the one we see in the show. They might trade with you, but there as easily able to war with you. And while they would carry little armor or weapons, there bloody bluffalo and smaller creatures like Minotaurs have ended up being Semimegabeasts. They would probably just go into trances and start crushing mid-tier clad ponies underhoof.

.....Buffalo Ghouls for irradiated desert/plain's biomes? And, to further list all the other possible ghoul placements, Griffen Ghoul's get mountains and donkey's are in the icier biomes and such? (Could forseeably see them as being "more solid" than the other ferals, being as sturdy as they were in life as they were in death. Probably means keeping the modifiers the same)

Ahh, Equestria and it's many flavors of undead abominations.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »

Synthetic silk is plausible, though it should be difficult to manufacture, perhaps requiring magical transmutation rather than chemical processes. I'll consider it. On the other hoof, decontamination ponds should do the trick as described, while RadSafe and RadAway are planned for a future update. Washing using a reaction isn't possible at the moment.

The robot spawning problem is not due to those tags, at least, and is going to need testing to sort out.

I will also consider a buffalo tribe, though more likely than not they will be hostile, as there's only one trade season spot left. Perhaps this concept of the Great Khans from DotRook's deviantart page would do:

The Great Khans were a raider tribe in New Vegas. However, I am wary of adding too many hostile civilizations (There are enough ambushes and sieges as it is), so let me know your opinions on this.

As for the irradiated changelings, they'll be a subterranean civ, so you don't have to worry about them until you breach the caverns.

I do like the idea of unique ghoul types for certain biomes, and will hold onto that idea for after ghouls are rebalanced.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:49:47 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 13, 2012, 07:05:31 pm »

//WASTELANDER'S FRIEND\\

A simple mod that is, in essence, a watered down version of the Wanderer's Friend. Like that mod, the core idea is to allow adventurers to craft basic items from the limited resources available to them.

Spoiler: Features (click to show/hide)

There are three files included in the mod; one with the reactions, one with several new items, and a copy of reaction_other.txt that will remove the 'make sharp rock' reaction. You can download it here. I also have an ASCII-friendly version of plant_standard.txt here for those that want visible trees.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:11:39 pm by Crazy Cow »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 13, 2012, 07:15:03 pm »

Very nice Crazy Cow! As I won't be working on adventure mode until after v1.0, small additions like this are appreciated.

However, I still welcome feedback from those of you who do play adventure mode. Just because I'm not working on it doesn't mean I won't fix any issues found. ;)

Edit: I took the liberty of attaching the post above to an adventure mode section under Monthly Objectives.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:23:06 pm by Lycaeon »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

I'm working on it now ;P

EDIT:
Updated the Wastelander's Friend so that one small stone creates a stack of five sharp stones. I actually tried it and it's a huge pain to get ten stones in a position where you can craft with them.

EDITEDIT:
Turns out that I had an extra 's' in the wrong place and that adventurers created random ammo instead of sharp stones.

EDITEDITEDIT:
I also forgot to make the 'Make a leather quiver' reaction produce a quiver. Fixed it in 1.03.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:41:11 pm by Crazy Cow »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 13, 2012, 07:41:47 pm »

The great khans weren't too friendly, but they could be reasoned with and weren't very good fighters.  Once you add more chems, they'd be a good source of them.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 13, 2012, 08:18:47 pm »

The great khans weren't too friendly, but they could be reasoned with and weren't very good fighters.  Once you add more chems, they'd be a good source of them.

Unskilled, but strong in this case. Yes, they are brutish, short of sight, and have little in the ways of armor or weapons, but goddam there's nothing scarier than a wall of flesh with a pair of small spears sticking out of it's head, besides a Raged-up wall of flesh with a pair of small spears sticking out of it's head charging at you at high speeds.

EDIT: Actualy, in hindsight, is there any plans for Minotaurs having something akin to a civ? I have issues seeing them as anything but large, unskilled fighters, but then they and the Buffalos would share a nitch. Unless they could share a civilzation,which would be interesting. Considering that they would be unplayable, it would not be that wierd, and the different body types can be excused considering they would not be wearing much in the way of armor anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:23:48 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 13, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »

Synthetic silk is plausible, though it should be difficult to manufacture, perhaps requiring magical transmutation rather than chemical processes. I'll consider it.
Please tell me hard to manufacture means like the workshop uses glass vials+a table+3 metal bars+1 mechanism, costs 5 jugs of oil and a pearlash, produces an intermediary "Lump of Biopolymer", and requites a fuel at each step. Because if you can't make it without getting a lucky terminal/hologem/ect... drop from salvage, then it's not worth it.

Actually, that's a decently expensive production chain and the intermediary lump would be usable for other crafting options. Like plastic crafts, plastic armor, plastic training weapons, plastic building blocks.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 13, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »

I'm saving the last trade spot for a later civilization, so the buffaloes won't trade if they get in. No minotaurs though...they were rare even in pre-war Equestria. The few that have survived are all feral reavers.

And Neowulf, it'll go in a chemical lab (It won't require a terminal or any special salvage drop) along with the drug-making reactions when I get around to them. I've taken note of your reaction though. Thanks. :)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 13, 2012, 08:52:46 pm »

Savageheart the spearpony is the first adventurer to fall to the Wasteland. After killing a dozen radrats or so and crafting some gear, she set off for one of the larger cities. One bandit ambush later her hoof is shattered and she can't stand, and a black radscorpion shows up and takes her out with a single sting. Bone spears, while effective against unarmored rats, can't do much to the armored carapace of a radscorpion.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 13, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »

STUFF

Savageheart's story reminds me of the beginning of Fallout 2. The player started at a serious disadvantage and combats were brutal. You start off as a tribal with a spear and no armour. I didn't like it.

I'm pretty sure someone told me that there can be multiple caravans from multiple civilisations trading at the depot at the same time, so it is untrue that there are only 4 spots.

I Fallout 1 there was a band of raiders called Khans. In Fallout 2 there was an old guy who said that the Vault Dweller has killed them and that he was the last one and survived by hiding. In FNV suddenly there are Great Khans. Yet another reason to consider those FPS Fallouts a blasphemy.

My stance on Buffalo is that I would like a semi-reliable source of exotic pets to add to the arsenal of Robronco. A war black radscorpion as a protector may be able to save a scavanger from some minor threat or at least buy her some time. Of course I'll try to capture and tame my own, but I just don't know how many lives it will costs.

The beastlords in Fallout: Tactics were indeed hostile, but that game isn't cannon.

My fort continues.

The two remaining caravan guards beat at the downed Ranger with their shields. Even through the power armour, they still manage to bruise and break bones. The two other Rangers just look over the inventory in the nearby barracks, probably assuming that their squaddie will handle it. Or maybe they just don't care, "out of sight, out of mind", as they say.
  Suddenly out of nowhere an enraged black radscorpion descends the ramp leading outside and engages the caravan guards! Most of it's attacks hit the shields, but it manages to get some hits on with its piercers, wounding them. Their counter-attacks just glance off the carapace of that overgrown bug. One of the guards bites it in a leg and wounds it. In retaliation it wrecks the pony's eye. Once the guards are dead, the radscorpion goes outside and the wounded Ranger crawls towards her buddies. If we survive this, it gives me a very crazy and dangerous idea.
(( Seriously, WTF? It looked almost as if the Rangers and the scorpion were in league. ))

A wasteland pony, who somehow survived up to this point, discovers another slaver ambush. Needless to say, she's on her own.

The Rangers are leaving. The radscorpion came back underground, ignoring the last Ranger survivor, who tries to leave. The bug gets cut to pieces by barbed wire protecting the door. Serves him right for killing the caravan guards!

The wounded Ranger manages to escape. Two of his buddies are still outside, so I won't risk opening the door. Menawhile, the chaotic fight outside continues. Some of the slavers seem to still dish it out among themselves (there indeed are different factions), or chase the last surviving migrants outside, but the worst of it is over. If it wasn't for the last two rangers, we just might risk mopping the rest up.

The last remaining friendly ponies are herded inside the walls by the slavers. The Rangers do nothing about it. The last survivor climbs the wall, much like Pickaxe did, and is shot. Even the foals and the last surviving kitten weren't spared. The Ranger leader just waits and watches. He knows we have to leave at some point.

Burrow restrictions prevent the ponies from mining new tunnels. Since the door is locked, it should be safe to disable the "civilians stay inside", at the cost of tons of cancellation spam.

I was wrong, some of the migrants survived up to this point. While two groups of slavers chase them, a third one has climbed the wall and shoots. A tactics I was hoping to adopt.

One group of slavers walks right next to a Steel Ranger and is ignored. One of the surviving migrants, Rolling Apple is a very agile mare. She outruns the slavers and dodges their bullets, but gets thirsty and is eventually chased in a corner and forced to climb the wall. Only one of her pursuers has any ammo left, so they chase her on the wall. She is thirsty, hungry, hurt in her leg and pursued. This can't end well. A second ramp leading up this wall will be a must. She manages to push one of them off the wall, but he just stands up. If it wasn't for the two Rangers, I would kill open the gate and order security to kill these bastards.

The liaison finally gets a chance to talk to Fleur de Lis. Surprisingly, she gets a promotion.

Rolling Apple gets severely wounded, but she jumps off the wall and manages to find a hiding spot, where she passes out. She then runs around scared, while the slavers go towards the ramp to torment her further. She desperately needs a drink. Meanwhile the two Steel Rangers walk over the barbed wire trap, immune to it's effects and towards the entrance to the vault.

Rolling Apple makes it outside, unseen by slavers, but she is insane with misery at this point. Even if she were to receive help, her prospects are bleak. She just stands her, babbling to herself. She lost her family and is barely alive herself. She may even be willing for her nightmare to end, but when the slavers eventually find her, she runs nonetheless. She doesn't manage to run far.

Salt of the Earth celebrated his first birthday today.

It is raining outside. This should wash away some of the blood. The two Steel Ranger bastards still guard our door. Perhaps we should have a secret entrance with an airlock?

It turned out, there weren't any carpenters alive left. Arablest, Evening Prayer, Textbook and Hive were told to do it. Nerdie's Ghost demands proper burial. He will be commemorated wit a memorial slab. Many weren't properly commemorated, but Nerdie is the only ghost so far. Some other works assignments get adjusted as well.

The two Steel Rangers get through the outer layer of my vault door. A quick inspection of the troops reveals that most don't have ammo.

Nerdie gets commemorated. 

Phew, I put new smelters and wood burners under the chimney. (( I know I don't need one, but I'm still building a chimney over the room with smelters and forges )) They tried to burn scrap for charcoal and do other unreasonable things, so I had to tell them to stop. (( Manager almost worked against me, but I caught it. I think they only wasted 1 salvage. ))

More immigrants arrive... straight into the group of slaver who killed Rolling Apple. Another mad chase begins. Some, however, manage to make it inside and begin working, as if nothing has happened. None of the nine arrivals are any good at anything useful, but two might make good soldiers. Meanwhile the Rangers are through the second layer of the door. The airlock to the caverns isn't ready yet.

Predictably, some of the invaders come back inside the camp and wreck havoc.

What little wood we have gets turned into charcoal, to make bronze, brass and bullets from scrap. Hopefully 4 stacks of 28 medium calibre bullets will be enough for some of the soldiers to restock.

After grinding through 30 rocks, the prospectors manage to find two gems. This isn't worth the time at this point, at least not without a small army of ponies with wheelbarrows.

The Steel Rangers eat through the last layer of our door, except for the big vault door (( A raised bridge. )), and apparently leave, content with the destruction they left in in their wake.

Some kind of ugly as hell monstrosity is detected in the lower cavern. As far as I know, it can't reach us and we have bigger worries.

The seemingly inexhaustible supply of dog tallow and internal organs got processed. The kitchens are cleared.

The medium ammo is scheduled for production, after smelting some scrap yielded lots of bronze and brass.

A wastelander caravan arrives, but we aren't ready to trade yet. They just mill around, far from the camp. The depot got wrecked by Steel Rangers and there is nothing for the traders here now.

The invaders finally leave and we can end the lockdown. There is much to rebuild. Six migrants survived up to this point. They look rather unhappy. Well, we did save them in the end, didn't we?

Headshots joins Apple Pie's squad. He gets a combat rifle despite the lack of skill. We don't have the time to play around with BB's now. Military Campaign joins the chainsaw squad and Bloody Pike joins the Ripper squad. The barracks are moved outside for quicker response. Bloody Pike is killed by a Radscorpion. Her body is found inside the camp, close to a gap in the wall. This is pretty odd. The scorpions kill Gypsum Casts too. Apparently the ponies are cleaning up too close to the monsters. I order the rifle squads to kill them. Headshots is the first to come, but he doesn't have any ammo! He gets killed. (( Damn, he had a CM of a rifle, those guys make glass cannons. )) Short Bursts and Apple Pie finish the second scorpion.

The merchants leave before a new depot is built. The camp and it's surroundings are cluttered with everything. There is so much work, that the important things barely get done. Despite this, the hole in the wall is fixed and traps are slowly installed at the entrance. A few cages with dead ponies in them were found. With every other crazy thing that goes on around here, this horribleness is dismissed as just another oddity. (( If the slaves in cages that slavers bring require food, these guys must have simply starved to death. ))

Some migrants arrive. Good, we need more ponies. There's eight of them total, with no foals. One of them is a pretty good jeweller. A few ponies get dizzy from exposure to a radiation cloud. 

In relative peace, most of the gate gets finished. Then a Ranger Scour appears, but is chased away by a protectorpony. I check my soldiers to see who should get the Power Armour. Psalms... is blind, it turns out. Well, I guess that earns him a promotion to military commander, then. Trigger Happy is given the Power Armour, but... it is made of copper, and there are no boots. So he just gets a bronze P.A. helmet, combat armour and security boots. Another Ranger scout appears, but flees.

I look over my stocks of toys and tools. I believe my problems with opening drinks and food stem from ponies carrying around bins with them. The "improved" hauling system is often too stupid for it's own good. I also discover that we indeed have an arcane terminal, so a gemcrafting station is built. I have 52 coiled wiring and they just keep coming... yeah, making the repair job use up 3 instead of 2 is a good idea. Hm... 16 useless aluminum platings. Is this supposed to be used for something? All robot upgrades use up steel plating (which should also be makable in a forge, if it isn't now). Plasteel plate probably can be melted down into bars. My cmobat rifle schematics is in a stationary bin, but apparently too far from a gunsmith's forge to make a rifle. Same with flame-thrower schematics. It seems that the only way to make this mod work is to make the vault horizontally compact, but use many z-levels. Then the items will be visible. Alright, schematics will get a stockpile close to the forges. Ladles, bowls and pestles have no use, right? Three Stable-Tec processing matrices and one Robronco. Good, I need one more computer part to see about upgrading robots. A room with a pasture, Robronco workshop, stockpile for upgrade drinks that takes from that workshop and stockpiles for the stuff needed to make upgrades should do the trick. If it takes too long, I can always lock a pony in ther and wait for her to get thirsty.

By my estimate, about half the cleanup is completed. The population is 53 and Pesky Questions is fine.

Outside:
At this point it is easy to see that I plan to have 3 bridge-operated ways outside: one long for traders, one shorter, filled with traps, and finally a quick one. Most of the workshops got moved inside to temporary locations.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Underground:

Hospital level:

The cavern airlock.
It is pretty much ready, except for traps and an optional section for stockpiles and web collecting workshop.

<--Previous
Next-->
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:10:41 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 13, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »

Idea. Make power armor only equipable through the reaction you have planned to turn a pony into a power armored soldier. Then Any other armor the pony wears is just added protection that's been strapped on. If the only way to use power armor is to be sealed in the suit, you can't wear two sets of power armor at once.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »

Savageheart's story reminds me of the beginning of Fallout 2. The player started at a serious disadvantage and combats were brutal. You start off as a tribal with a spear and no armour. I didn't like it.
F2 was certainly subpar compared to F1, but I don't think it's because of the game's start. I actually liked being a tribal and getting excited about things like 10mm pistols; there was more to build up towards.

I Fallout 1 there was a band of raiders called Khans. In Fallout 2 there was an old guy who said that the Vault Dweller has killed them and that he was the last one and survived by hiding. In FNV suddenly there are Great Khans. Yet another reason to consider those FPS Fallouts a blasphemy.
Khans were the raiders that attacked Shady Sands, iirc, and by F2 they were dead and gone. There was a bit of resurgence in F2 at Vault 15, but they were put down by the NCR.
And yes, I hate the F3 line with a vengeance.

My stance on Buffalo is that I would like a semi-reliable source of exotic pets to add to the arsenal of Robronco. A war black radscorpion as a protector may be able to save a scavanger from some minor threat or at least buy her some time. Of course I'll try to capture and tame my own, but I just don't know how many lives it will costs.
Can't tame radscorpions of any kind.

The beastlords in Fallout: Tactics were indeed hostile, but that game isn't cannon.
A minor correction; the details of FO:T aren't canon, like the oil drums that explode on one level and other minor details. The general events of FT are canon, including the existence of the Beastlords. (FT is best Fallout game :3)

As for my own adventures, Hawkfortress the macepony and her friend Glove Lion the markspony have just slain a giant scorpion. The two were wandering about, killing wild animals for food and resources, when the terrain changed and a giant scorpion came at them out of nowhere. Hawkfortress ineffectively pissed it off with her copper club while Glove shot it with his hunting rifle; while Hawk did little more than glance off of its shell, Glove made some pretty good shots and ended up putting a medium caliber bullet into its cephalothorax. The tough chitin it left behind is really dense, though; raw, it knocked my speed down by more than three hundred points. After I made a pair of boots out of it the weight wasn't nearly as bad.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2012, 11:14:43 pm »

Huh...apparently you can choose which caravan you wish to trade with if more than one arrives in a season. I'll keep that in mind. Still, a buffalo tribe is not a priority at the moment, so there's some time to sort that out.

Most mutated creatures can't be tamed, period, so no luck there. A black radscorpion is still just as deadly in a dodge-trap pit whether or not it's been tamed, however.

Untrained slave ponies do indeed need food and water, which is why I would train them as soon as possible (If purchased, of course).

Steel plating can be made as a tool. I did decrease the prevalence of aluminum plates (which have no use other than melting - I may remove them altogether), frayed wiring, and other refuse salvage (like the ladles) for v0.88e, so hopefully salvage overflow isn't a problem anymore. As for stockpiling, I advise making individual stockpiles next to workshops and have them only take the items (tool and/or toy) and subtypes (Ex: schematics for gunsmith's forges) the shops work with instead of a universal stockpile for all salvage products.

Very impressed with how the battle turned out, even though it ended badly, I got the mental image of slavers lining up hapless migrants against the wall of your fortress and executing them, along with a mare who, after losing her entire family, makes a heroic last stand atop the walls, dodging bullets and knocking off slavers until she goes mad with grief and lets herself get run down in the desolate wastes. :o

And in the aftermath the bedraggled survivors cleaning up the battlefield and securing the fortress for the next inevitable assault...scrounging together pieces of armor and bloodied weaponry for a makeshift militia...

At least the fortress looks secure now, the way you built it. Can't wait till you get some fortifications up with markspony patrols along its length. :D

Indigo: That's what would take place, yes, but I can't have power armor ponies wearing combat armor or security barding over their power armor (Which is what would be happening if a transformed pony wears armor).

Crazy Cow, at least the good thing with adventure mode is that you can get more than 2 companions. You're going to need them. Good fight with the giant radscorpion. :)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 210