Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472519 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.88e beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #630 on: December 16, 2012, 12:20:26 pm »

Maybe you could incorporate Solaris Inc into this mode somehow. That company was made up in "Pink Eyes" and sometimes pops up in other FoE fanfics. Solaris is a company that made all kinds of things, much like Stable-tec, but is known for constant quirks and failures of its equipment rather than "building it to last". What I have in mind is more along the lines of adding a Solaris Inc crate that mostly drops junk, but sometimes has useful things, not a whole new technology tree. Either way, I don't care much.

I was asking about a stealthbuck in 0.88, before it became part of an assassin's kit. I guess, I'll just give that to Brass and watch it evaporate with no effect.

I haven't tested Brass in combat yet, but it should be in the next update about what's happening in my outpost. I also hope to finally explore the caverns, but if something like another Minotaur comes along, we're screwed with the best soldiers gone. Oh and the work on the surface and in the fort isn't done, even without massive cleanup of everything around the fort.

I was thinking, if I should upgrade a second Mr Hooves to a nurse and I'm doing it. I can always get more of them later, and the bottleneck here are resources for upgrades.
I think the MAS terminals should be able to copy AI hologems to diamonds.

Stuff growing in my rooms gets irritating. In my next fort, I think I won't dig so much in the soil layer, unless I want a tree farm. The most logical design for a stable I've come up with, is central staircase surrounded by four rooms, that may have smaller side rooms.

I think I should explore spells and magical research next. That's about the last thing I haven't touched yet and it is year 205.

Oh and while terminals cost "just" thousands of caps, they have quality and buildings requiring architecture have hidden guality also. The value of the fort may indeed skyrocket.

I know you revamped the plywood already, but in 0.88 a floodgate requires 20 boards to make. Nothing in that workshop should need more than ten plywood, otherwise it gets counter-intuitive for the player. (I'm not saying if it makes sense or not)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:26:00 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 16, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »

Replica, scrap metal is an ore of brass and bronze. Get those (from ore) instead of doing things the inefficient way and smelting scrap directly. You should be able to get some magnetite from grinding rocks later.

Scrap metal? Dafuq are yo-

Oh wait, I get it.
Scrap metal is that gem ore of which I have only like 50 units on the entire map, right?
Yeah that ain't much to count on, but I will be mining that out too once I have run out of copper ore, which is to say soon.

The only actual metal I got on the map is tetrahedrite, ore of copper.

Well, tetrahedrite and star metal.
Thing is, the star metal comes with two problems.
1. It is in very limited supply, I have more star metal than scrap metal, but even then that's not much.
2. Both tubes are hollow, if I mine as much as one z level down the tube, HFS will reveal, unleashing some scary fucking shit I spotted when cheat-prospecting.

And that kinda sucks, because both tubes are literally in the z level below my fort.

Process has to be,

1. Gear militia with copper.
2. Conquer caves, seal it off for safe roaming.
3. Scavenge as much steel shit as humanly possible.
4. Smelt steel gear and rearm militia with steel and gear looted from enemy civs.
5. Prepare militia through war and training.
6. Invade hell with ponies and robots.
7. Seal off hell.
8. Seal off surface.
9. Sip victory wine with Berry Punch and party forever.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:00 pm »

Replica, are we playing the same mod?  :-\

Yes, scrap metal can be mined out as a gem ore, but that's not it's primary source.

You cut down trees. Lots of them. You make two stockpiles far away from each other: one for normal wood and one for salvage logs. The one for Salvage logs should surround a Salvage Yard and have wheelbarrows. You can even make it into 2 or 3 stockpiles, each with 3 wheelbarrows. Then you process the salvage at the Salvage Yard on repeat and get more scrap metal then you'll know what to do with. Your Workbench will provide you with even more scrap. Make charcoal from normal wood and build your smelter close to a stockpile that accepts scrap metal (and tetrahedrite, if you want). Then make bronze from ore. The best part is that salvage is a renewable resource, so you'll never ever run out of scrap metal. With magma you can even afford to train smiths on bronze. You can also make brass out of scrap. It is used for ammo production.

While bronze is very easily available, it provides only barely adequate protection against what you will have to face. In my experience a feral ghoul has about 50% chance to bypass a good quality bronze security barding. It still beats copper, though.

The rest of your plan I agree with. Once you get either a magma or a prismatic smelter, melt every piece of iron and steel you come across except chains. Also, with sufficient wheelbarrows and idlers, rock grinders can provide you with some magnetite. It won't be much and you'll drown in gems before getting enough to outfit your military in =Steel Gear=, though.

In this play-through I don't plan on even touching star metal. I did have a successful production of funobtanium in my past forts, so it's not that interesting to me.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:25:48 pm by Maklak »
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 16, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »

Wait, you get scrap metal from scavenging?
I must have missed that.

Still, to do that, I will still have to conquer the caves so I can actually get a safe scavenging area set up.

Nice catch though Maklak, this changes everything for my metal industry.
Everything.

Seriously, I was planning on leveling the entire map and building a complicated system of ramps and shit to get the damn wagons to stop spawning on the mountainside, but now that wont be necessary.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 16, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »

If I start playing this mod, what modifications should I make to the bugged reactions? Are there any bugged reactions?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 16, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »

Some are confusing, but I haven't bumped into any bugged ones. If you find a reaction that's wrong, just report it in here, the author is pretty quick to fix bugs.

On second thought you might want to modify some reactions that require barrels to accept rock pots as well, but even that isn't necessary as you can make stone barrels. Their only downside it that they weight 40 kg.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:57:17 pm by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 16, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »

Snake Wild secretly caught his wife cheating on him a few days before they were supposed to get married in the stable chapel, before the holy shrine of Replica.
So he made her a custom hoof-crafted ring of the finest quality.

He came to my shrine one day before their marriage was to take place, proud as one could be and showed it to me.
He said "our love is like a semi-buried tank, you never know what hides under the surface".

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 16, 2012, 05:58:44 pm »

He said "our love is like a semi-buried tank, you never know what hides under the surface".

:P

The mod in its current state is pretty bug-free. As Maklak mentioned, there are a few confusing reactions and technologies, but the guide in the first post should clear up most of them. Do let me know if you encounter any difficulties. :)
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 16, 2012, 07:22:54 pm »

I had the weirdest idea ever for a short fic after I had a frustrating problem with getting my soldiers to wear copper security boots.
So I sat down for 3 hours straight making up a whole phoney balloney story about my current stable, Musicalgrotto, and how it fell due to copper security boot related causes.
I'll link that shit someday, I thought it ended up being pretty funny, in a very grim and stupid sort of way.
But I don't want to publish it just yet, still got work on an unrelated chapter in the same story that I'd like to finish first.

Actually related however is that I really DO have issues with security boots.
I have manually assigned four boots to all my militia, and set them to replace their clothing, but they refuse to replace it and insist on training wearing socks and horseshoes.
Half of them replace their headgear for their helmets and half of them don't. They are all wearing their security barding like they should.

I'll probably figure it out tomorrow and I know for a fact that it is a DF game bug, but I figure that I might as well ask you guys for workarounds in case any of you have had the same issue as me.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 16, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »

My current uniforms are:
1 Barding (security, combat or Power)
1 jumpsuit
1 Helmet (security, combat or Power)
2 Leather Hoods
1 Security Boots
1 Weapon
Varrying number of shields.

Replace clothing, Partial Matches
It works, but you need an active schedule. Move or kill orders may help too. In any case it takes up to two months for squads to figure out their inventory.

On an unrelated note, my Nurse Redheart just went Axe Crazy and killed two ponies. It is time to upgrade a flamer turret.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 16, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »

You don't need to assign specific boots, just "security boot" in the same menu as the specific shoes. Maklak pointed it out and it works just fine.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:18:07 pm by Lycaeon »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 16, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »

Okay, something that I just want to double-check: Slaves do not form relationships until they are rehabilited. right?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

I don't think they should.

On a side note, has anyone seen Unity scouts/ambushes for v0.88e so far? I modified their triggers a bit and so far I haven't seen them in a Stable I'm running.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 16, 2012, 09:47:17 pm »

I've heard that gremlins can and will become your mayor in vanilla if you change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] since all they do is sit in the meeting room and make friends. That should apply to all tame intelligent creatures.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 17, 2012, 08:35:23 am »

My fort continues. A short update.

The medical Mr Hooves went crazy and killed the wounded Power Drill, then attacked Yellow Flower and fell unconscious. Sigh, the hospitals are one of the prime causes of death in Ponderplanned. The security was told to deal with the murderous robot before it gets to the dining hall. Ham got there first and bashed it with his -steel security baton-. It didn't do much, barely damaging the robot's case before Library Card got there with her =steel chainsaw=. She quickly pierced the hull and cut some wiring, spraying the area with sparks. After a few cuts she destroyed the robot's processing matrix, shutting it down. Yellow Flower wasn't saved.

The second Mr Hooves got upgraded to Nurse Redheart. Hopefully it won't go crazy this time. It is time for a flamer turret.

It seems that the ghouls and dogs have left us alone. There are some wolves, but those are quite docile and avoid confrontations. Well, eventually some vultures come at the gate and are shot.

The military is expanded. Vet Redheart joins the ripper squad. Scorpion Bolt becomes the chief of internal security and gets a BB rifle. Together with Radhog Scraps and Orange Juice, they are going to train gunnery. Cream and Orange form a second BB rifle squad and are going to be using up all those bone pellets to learn shooting.
Come to think of it, the only reason I have a Ripper squad is that I didn't have enough chainsaws when they got formed.

Before Silver Anvil manages to install the flame-thrower turret, it shoots flames at the vultures, but fortunately the pony is not in the jet of flames. The flamer turret is dragged into position and fires again, setting the snow-covered grass aflame. The conflagration spreads quickly, but so far nopony is hurt. A cat, whose legs were broken in the past, and never properly healed, tries to get inside, but the fires are cutting off his way. He makes it to a safe road. Also, the trees don't burn, but the grass does, leaving ashes.

A slaver ambush shows up. The military isn't given any orders. It is time to cleanse the heretics test the turret. Most of them get slowed down by the approaching fire. When the smoke clears, their leader is a pile of leather, metal and ash, while one of the invaders gets wounded and stopped in his approach by a normal security turret. The rest of them just mills around what's left of their commander. It would be a good time to mop up, but a second ambush comes along. I want to see this.

As they chase a cat towards the gate, a third ambush pops up. Let's see how this ends. Only the first squad have ranged weapons. The cat is killed. The slavers who make their approach are met with soldiers shooting at them, because I forgot to pull a lever. It may be that the flames are only effective on the same level as the tower, as the slavers aren't set on fire.
(( Seriously, I expected more from this turret. It didn't do much except setting the grass on fire. ))

Some slavers get caught in cages, other get killed by Brasses squad to test his minigun. Library card is there first, blocking or dodging their shots. She enters a martial trance and begins cutting them with her  =Stel Chanisaw=. Before Brass even gets there, she is done with one of them and halfway through a second one. Brass sprays them with no-quality medium calibre bullets, which prove that his battle saddle does indeed work. Even his title in the reports screen changes to "Minigunner".

The fires spread on the outside of the wall, stopped only by ice or lack of grass. Shooting range is rebuilt and assigned for training to the new squads. The captured slavers are killed by the soldiers. The fortifications around the wall are finished. The second turret stays as it is for now. We are ready for the caverns. I haven't noticed earlier, but Library Card got wounded in her leg. This is bad, she was promising. She isn't infected, but she now needs a crutch and that will slow her down a lot. Since I intend to upgrade all chainsaw and ripper soldiers to improved combat rifles anyway, this isn't vary bad.

<--Previous
Next-->

We have some plasteel plates, right? Maybe they could be used for robot upgrades to make them even more resilient. Either as an alternative potion to upgrade a Protectorpony or Mr Hooves, or as a "Tier 2" upgrade potion, that makes an already improved robot even tougher.

I have the feeling that having a minigun actually makes Brass less effective in combat. He hits his marks, but medium bullets kill slower than a chainsaw. It should improve his survivability, though. Still, 5 or so of ones like him would own.

I was wondering what weapons should I make and use at the beginning, so I think I figured that out by now. Hacksaws. Not because they are the best starting weapons, but because they are part of the best weapon progression.

0) Hacksaw -> Chainsaw -> possibly Chainsaw rifles, but those will kill slower than chainsaws. (Possibly miniguns too. These ponies should be the prime candidates for SATS.)
1) BB gun -> Combat Pistol -> Combat rifle -> Chainsaw Rifle. (A good path, but those mares need some dodge and shield training too, so it's probably best to alternate these two trainings. I haven't figured out the how of this yet, but one ranged per one or two melee squads, alternating their uniforms once a year, seems like a good idea.)
2) Security Baton -> Hunting Rifle -> AMR -> Spitfire's Thunder. (The baton part is just there to make the elite soldiers last longer in melee)
3) Combat Knife -> Ripper -> Ripper Rifle and possibly flamer upgrade. (This probably won't be as effective as the others, but sure seems !fun!)
4) Combat pistol + Battle Saddle upgrade: Only if I can mass-produce minigun battle saddles. Combat pistols will train misc object user. Once that's mastered, it's probably best to move on to chainsaw rifles.

Ranged weapons make heavy armour more viable as gunners don't have to catch up to the enemies quickly.

Has anyone figured out a sane way to give upgrades to soldiers yet? I pretty much have to remove a soldier from the squad (which is troublesome for commanders), assign mechanics to them, set them in the workshop profile, wait till they drop and pick equipment, then lock them in the upgrade room until they get thirsty. Or just watch them for signs of installing a pipbuck. Setting their squad to inactive doesn't cut it as they just go to individual combat drills. Then after the upgrade, I have to assign them to squads again and wait for them to re-equip.
Sigh. DF really lacks a few tags. The system would be much less cumbersome if it was possible for the reactions to interact directly with the creature performing a reaction, not by producing a haxy boulder or a potion. Also to be set to [ONCE], so that no one will do it a second time if successful. With just these two things, each basic spell could just have it's own terminal set on repeat and all unicorns would learn it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:20:06 am by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 210