Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472526 times)

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.92 beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #855 on: December 24, 2012, 05:41:15 pm »

Really? You can disable all useless and dangerous labors from new migrants faster than I can with Dwarf Therapist?

I don't know because I've never seen you use The rapist before.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 24, 2012, 05:43:53 pm »

Second nature by this point. You assign roles to workers as they come (which comes down to disabling fishing and hunting, normally), then grab the nearest idler you can find if you need something new done. Hell, I don't even care about skill beyond metalworking and military ones; I disable miscellaneous and labor skill displays.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 24, 2012, 05:45:08 pm »

> Did you all grow up on DOS or something?
As a matter of fact, yes, but I cheated using Norton Commander.

> Dwarf Therapist discussion.
Personally I use DT, but Telgin run Dawpick, a pony community fort, without using that tool, ever. We had around a 100 of ponies. As far as I understand, the trick is to sort migrants, mooded ponies and maturing foals as they come. Then, when you need more of a certain profession, you check who is idling in the "U" menu and assign some of those ponies their new jobs. They skill up eventually. With enough discipline, this can work.
Oh, and Telgin played in the default tileset as well and he was a damn good overseer and game master (except a bit too much on the lenient side and giving in to unreasonable player requests).

I've never tried fishing in my reservoir. I don't really thinks it's worth it as caravans often bring 20 stacks of 5 radfish and mussels, but I may give it a try.

> It's not a bad idea to reassign some idlers to become fisherponies.

Thing is, I tend to run on 0 idlers almost all the time. There is always so much to do. Those things I can, I usually try to do efficiently. Except I'm a sucker for plant gathering.

> Why bee-keeping? Honey is nice once you begin to generate idlers, you just need a couple of colonies and then you can split them up and get endless honey, which again, is nice for food variety.

* I have no idlers to spare.
* Honey is value 1 and not worth the trouble, other than for RP.
* I must have exactly 1 bee keeper at all times, otherwise some idiot will just go to pick up some beehive at the border of the map, that has already been collected. He won't find it, so he will just stand there for a while. On the bright side, he may trigger an ambush and get killed.
* Even if I do have working beehives, I need some jugs to process the honey, which otherwise I could skip. Then I get wax, which is only good for useless crafts and jugs of royal jelly that the cooks refuse to touch and they clog up my food stockpile until I atom-smash them.
My experience with honey is limited as I only ever bothered in one fort, but it's not a good one.

> > Set profiles for the best mechanic.
No, seriously. Some reactions to open crates or make things at the workbench and supply depot use the skill mechanics and produce things with quality. For stuff like ammo boxes, armour crates, chainsaws and so on, you want this to be high. Hence my suggestion to profile those workshops to only accept your best mechanics.

> Military discussion.
Whatever works for you, I guess. I'm not that good at it anyway and a lot of my advice is second-hand "best practices". I've read that multi-weapons squads tend to give each other demonstrations for all their weapons skills, which slows down training. Also, since ponies of different skill levels tend to prefer demonstrations over sparring, it slows down skill gains even more. But I guess that's not even an issue without barracks.

> Giving us sets of iron or steel armor will only slow us down, and we need speed to catch up with the local pests.
You do have a point here, but I do not fully agree. Giving the soldiers barding will weight them down and bronze or copper is not sufficient protection against ghouls. However, helmets would still be nice. If a soldier is stunned or unconscious, the enemies will aim for the head and I've lost many ponies to broken skulls. Security helmets don't weight much and won't slow us down almost at all. For horseshoes we can keep the default copper light horseshoes for now.

> Maybe you are just sadistic like that, hacking one dog limb after the other without actually killing the dogs you go after.
Lol. Axes do chop off pieces and cause severe bleeding, pain and so on. In my experience they tend to be deadly, though. What weapons do your two soldiers with the most kills use? I would really like to know this as it may have some relevance for my own military.

> Shooting range IS essential, at least until I get fresh victims to train on.
Well, it is OK to have, but unless you have gunnery CMs, skill-ups from shooting targets will not be that great. You'll also need to burn through a lot of ammo, which means using BB guns and bone pellets, which means not equipping pistols and rifles early, because by then you wouldn't have ammo for defence.

> Gunpowder.
Once it becomes vital, you will want a lot of it. In my next fort I plan to buy all the ash, lye, potash, saltpetre and gunpowder I can, right from the beginning.

> Cattle, breaching caverns
> You should know that bro, you give me the impression of having geeked Dwarf Fortress more than I have, and I have played the shit out of this game.
This game is vast and we have different playstyles. Plus I still use magmawiki and tend to get rusty and forget things when I don't play for a year or so. In 31.16 / 31.18 I didn't need pastures. In 31.25 I was unhappy with grazers, so I butchered them on sight. That's why I never really bothered to learn stuff like, how big of a pasture I need for how many animals and so on. The most I can be bothered to do is to set up a pasture outside, put all my Brahmin and Bighorners there and forget about them. Or maybe put there a farmer's workshops and "a m r a c r a s r a S r" once in a while, but that's it.

I never really bothered to "train" cooks. With all the meals and tallow I get, they skill pretty fast anyway. I simply build 3 or so kitchens next to the food stockpiles, disable cooking of everything brewable, and occasionally set lavish meals on repeat.

You quite obviously have more experience on massive farming operations and cooking then me. I just never really needed it and it wasn't as interesting as constructions to me.

I think we all eventually hit the problem where playing this game requires out attention in a lot of areas, doing lots of different things, while the most fun we have is when the game is unpaused. Hence we begin to focus on certain areas and neglect the (in our respective opinions) less essential ones.

While I strongly dislike spreadsheets, for this mod I need one. There is just too much information to keep track on per-pony level. SATS, battle saddle, spells.

> Text versus GUI interface.
At some point I memorised the letters for commands to the level of not really wanting mouse for anything in this game. I got rusty since then, but overall I think the keyboard is the superior input device once you learn how to use it. Well, for most things anyway. GIMP needs a mouse.

I think you're being too hard on Crazy Cow. He plays the game the way he wants to and not needs to worry about external tools updating after a new DF patch.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:48:21 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 24, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »

It's all in jest, Maklak; I don't mind at all ;P

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 24, 2012, 06:04:11 pm »

It's all in jest, Maklak; I don't mind at all ;P

Sorcerer!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 24, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »

Or maybe he is just being a silly unicorn filly who doesn't think straight, and considers anything that even remotely helps make the game more managable and less of an eye sore to be a cheat and all tileset/therapist users to be "dirty" and "impure".

I'm the only one here (it seems) that plays in ASCII. Make what you will of it.
No you're not.
I do too. I never got around to fixing the trees, but eh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 24, 2012, 07:40:32 pm »

Hey, calm your tits guys, it's not a competition.
We are all equal DF players here.
But some are more equal than others *cough*

Spoiler: Lemon Stable Report 4 (click to show/hide)

>Weapons of the ponies who have the most kills?
Indigo_Surprise using kicks and teeth, and now recently her knife.
P(ony)SI using her security baton.

But that should be completely irrelevant for you as I have been sending them out mostly on pest control, and for wild dogs, radrats and radroaches you can really just use anything.
For black radscorpion dispatching I find that nothing is quite as effective as a steel machete early on, so if you want mixed squads but don't want to use all weapon classes then roll with hammers (super sledges) and swords (machetes, chainswords).
Maces are really just lighter and faster hammers and so are knives.
Good for speed and extra attacks, bad for stopping power.
Well, in my experience, I am sure you have some industrial acid alternative which works better for you. After all, you learn all the best tricks on your own after your own playing style.

>Idlers
Yeah, but you take a different approach and "cheat" your pop cap by limiting it.
My stables can get well over 100-150 after just a few days of playing and with that many workers you never have 0 idlers, there is just so many workers and so little to do after a while.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 24, 2012, 07:49:55 pm »

Looks like you're off to a great start :D

As for my baton, have you found any silver yet? It's the best metal for blunt weapons.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 24, 2012, 08:04:00 pm »

Whoever chided us for not giving fort updates in diary format, I hate you. Because I had to work and tinker with my guerrilla civ to get it to work, because I've had this rummaging around in my head wanting to get out. This is written from the perspective of a philosopher pony recruit who has been sent out into the wastes. Who is also not accustomed to having paper to write his thoughts onto.

I'll be continuing more on this fort, because I plan on this character going through a gradual loss of sanity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 24, 2012, 08:08:45 pm »

Nupe, no idea if there might be silver down there or not.
But looking at the density values I discovered that copper is actually the second most dense weapons material at 8.93 density as opposed to steel/irons 7.85.
So either I find silver for you guys, or your upgrades cap at copper security batons and super sledges.

Fakedit: Indigo, I liked it, nice and gritty.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 24, 2012, 08:12:50 pm »

Hell... if the two of us are legendary miners give us power drills. Stone and flesh are the same thing, right? ;P

As for weapons material, there is no difference between the different material densities as far as effective blunt weapons go. Copper will crush bones just as well as silver.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:17:11 pm by Crazy Cow »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:51 pm »

Hell... if the two of us are legendary miners give us power drills. Stone and flesh are the same thing, right? ;P

Oooooo, Crazy Cow, you clever bastard.
Now I have to put our steel power drills to the test.
We'll see, you and me versus the black radscorpions. Might be interesting to see how it turns out.

Edit: lol, the first quick field test failed miserably.
You ran up to a black radscorpion and literally the first attack was the radscorpion stinging you and knocking you out with poison.
When I ran up to a scorpion it hit me and made me drop my steel power drill before I even had a chance to attack and the rest of the fight was just me kicking it while taking damage. xD
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:34:25 pm by Replica »

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 24, 2012, 08:31:07 pm »

As for weapons material, there is no difference between the different material densities as far as effective blunt weapons go. Copper will crush bones just as well as silver.

Well there's a slight edge to steel and silver compared to the other metals in blunt weapons. A slight but negligible difference.

*Realedit Thanks Replica. I had to dust off my philosopher boots to write like one. I wanted to write like a fresh faced recruit wanting to do good in the world, but once I saw that cutie mark I had to go with an identity obsessed philosopher.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:45:29 pm by Indigo_Surprise »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:28 pm »

> > Idlers
> Yeah, but you take a different approach and "cheat" your pop cap by limiting it.
Well, yes. I pretty much feel compelled to limit the population growth to when I'm ready for it. Getting and setting up 20 or so migrants is a hassle, even with Dwarf Therapist. If they come too early, I don't have enough food, rooms and everything. Besides, population triggers invasions and I always need a long time to be more or less ready for them.

> Nothing really interesting happened combat or relationship wise, but our industries and infrastructure have improved somewhat.
Combat is fine, but I'm actually more interested in how other people do infrastructure, so it was entertaining anyway.

> We designated the construction of 3 barrack's, including armories and sleeping quarters for each.
I just set the same barracks for all squads and tell them to sleep in their rooms, but if your barracks are far apart, you get more coverage this way.

> Since space is limited we will be expanding our farms upwards, muddying the constructed stone floors will allow for surface plant farming on multiple z levels and save us a bunch of space. Plus it will look really cool.
OK, that's... something of a megaproject, but even if you needed those extra farms, wouldn't it be simpler to expand the walls?

Looking at the picture, I'd also change the northern wall of the tower on the first floor (with the ground being the 0'th floor) to fortifications. Your turrets will get some extra coverage that way.

Wow, that's some good salvage. I mostly just get low quality one from the surface.

> The thermal lance and one chainsaw were recharged, resulting in one *plasma energy lance* for Lycaeon and one *steel chainsaw* for Maklak.
:)

> Power talisman
This means prismatic smelter and access to steel at reasonable cost in fuel, but quite high price in scrap. PS has a reaction to produce 1 iron from 1 scrap and it can make steel, so good news.

> Pipbuck
Yay, SATS for everypony is just one Stable-Tec terminal away.

> combat rifle schematics
That's good or great news, depending on the skill of the best weapon smith. Because, you know... =chainsaw rifle=.

> Collect more scavenge and then melt excess steel items into steel bars and make armor out of it.
You don't have coal or magma and it will be more fuel-efficient to produce iron from scrap at the prismatic smelter.

> The Brahmin herd [...] seem to be completely unaffected by the irradiated storms, despite having been in the midst of them ca 15 times.
That makes sense, they survived and adjusted to the life on the surface.

> A wastelander caravan shows up, but the raised bridge caused the wagon to be left behind.
Yeah, I made that mistake more than once myself.

> VR simulator.
I'm surprised this thing has training programs for all kinds of smithing. They don't belong there, they should be at whatever terminal teaches other kinds of crafting.

> They seem to be mainly focused around ranged combat, so it looks like the Archery Range wont be as important after all.
Yes and no. A pony of mine learned 6 levels of gunnery in just as many months, while the BB ponies trained for about 8 months and got 2-3 in gunnery. The thing is, Checklist camped the terminal pretty much all the time, while those other ponies trained all kinds of things and used multiple targets. Besides, to use a terminal, the soldiers need to be off-duty and can do it one at a time. So until you can spam those VR simulators, they serve just a supplementary role for when the soldiers have their vacation from duty.

> The schedule is easier on us seeing as we have other duties to attend to other than fighting and killing, so every other month we are relieved from duty.
The soldiers not training half the time is rather excessive.

> Page Glitterspread is out hunting black radscoprions. He might as well be considered KIA.
Lol. This gives me a funny mental image of that hunter checking out through the gate and actually hearing and seeing the guards listing him as KIA. Then arguing with them, which they ignore.

> A full time mechanic profession is required now
An approach to mechanics, masonry and carpentry I often use is to profile the workshops for minimum skill of workers and enable these labours on many ponies. That way only the specialists will make mechanisms, open crates, build chainsaws, make furniture and bins. The others will just build walls and traps. It works well as long as you update the workshop profiles from time to time.

> Steel Helmets for 'Bay 12 Modding' squad (or Maklak gets even pissier about my way of doing things)
Lol. The way I see it, I don't get prissy. I just scratch my head over some things (for example, I'd like to see your Z screen after a year or so of this farming) and disagree / advice on others. I try to keep is civil. Funny thing is, while I may have some valid points, I make mistakes of my own, as evidenced by history of my fort that I posted here. It is even funnier that for some of those mistakes I wrote how to avoid them.

> Build a Bar in the meeting hall
Well, in this mod all a bar does is open sparkle cola and sunset sarsaparilla. It is not a bar at all. It just needs a stockpile for Finished Goods (type: tool + toy, material: stone/clay: unopened drinks) and a stockpile for barrels. In a public place you might want a Meeting Hall or a Theatre instead.

> Whoever chided us for not giving fort updates in diary format, I hate you.
Lol. Yeah, we don't get along. Other than that, a somewhat interesting introduction. I especially liked the perspective on slavers and other groups being either services or competition, sometimes both.

> Hell... if the two of us are legendary miners give us power drills. Stone and flesh are the same thing, right? ;P
Hehe. As evidenced by my signature, I did some research on mining organics. I think shovels are better than drills in this mod, though. Still, for miner soldiers, I'd definitely recommend weapons based on mining.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 24, 2012, 10:03:17 pm »

> Whoever chided us for not giving fort updates in diary format, I hate you.
Lol. Yeah, we don't get along. Other than that, a somewhat interesting introduction. I especially liked the perspective on slavers and other groups being either services or competition, sometimes both.

While we may be mortal enemies, I was joking. Whenever someone suggests an idea that I like but hate myself for not thinking of it sooner, I usually say I hate them instead.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 210