Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472611 times)

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.92 beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #990 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:51 am »

Im new to mod, playing it for just second day, and just cant get myself to dive into mod's tech trees. And wow, we should totally have a wiki or smth for that, becouse first page's info is not enough 0_o.
Just a chicken coop and a smelter for now.
This day going to be perfect!

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 28, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »

Despite my 38 deg. celsius fever and having slept for a mere 5 hours after staying awake for 28, I felt like making this report different because I wanted to vary it a bit for today.
I wrote it more or less like a narrative from my point of view, if I were the pony named after me ingame and still led the fortress like I do as a player.
Obviously it is unlikely that I will write another report like this as it is impractical as fuck and time consuming, much of the content is flavor and fluff rather than strictly gameplay.

I hope you like reading, because it is 4400 words long.

Spoiler: Lemon Stable Report 9 (click to show/hide)

Im new to mod, playing it for just second day, and just cant get myself to dive into mod's tech trees. And wow, we should totally have a wiki or smth for that, becouse first page's info is not enough 0_o.
Just a chicken coop and a smelter for now.

Yeah it's pretty confusing to get into at first.
Just remember, build a salvage yard, workbench and supply depot and divide all "non-woody" wood from the normal wood through custom stockpiles.
Do not use logs named "X-quality salvage log" for construction.
It is from the salvage logs where you get much of the tech needed to build the new workshops and items, so process all of those at the salvage yard and supply depot.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 28, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »

I am apparently really bad at this mod. That's not a huge surprise, since I was never very good at DF in the first place, so it's not like I blaim Lycaeon or anything :P

It does seem like every fortress I make ends up getting conquered by Steel Ranger ambushes 2 or 3 years in. I'm starting to think maybe I'm being too overzealous with salvaging or something and getting them too early. The last time was just embarrassing; I got an ambush of steel rangers in the third year and managed to lock them outside the outer walls (they contented themselves with destroying a Wastelander caravan as it arrived) but one steel ranger thief with a rocket launcher had already made it inside. I figured my 9 knife ponies, 9 chainsaw ponies, and 9 chainsword ponies would be enough to handle him, but apparently I was wrong. He killed them all and ended up with only a bunch of brown wounds :P

Back to the drawing board. I'm thinking my next fortress is going to have a lot of walls and drawbridges, and my ponies are going to hide like cowards whenever anything threatening shows up.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:23 pm »

@Bremen Salvaging builds up wealth pretty quickly because of those steel items. Sell all excess weaponry, especially the steel barbed wires, to the caravans. You get more stuff from them if they get a lot of wealth from trading with you anyways.
Another note, DO NOT USE SALVAGE FOR CARPENTRY. Don't know if you've been doing that, but if you have, stop immediately. Temporarily forbid all your salvage items if you have to.
Also, melee weapons are suicide against some of the later game enemies. Raiders are perfectly acceptable for melee combat, and slavers are okay if your soldiers are badflank enough, but Steel Ranger ambushes and pretty much anything with interactions will make your Stable's brief existence Fun without adequate ranged weaponry.

And Replica, good read as always.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 28, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »

@Bremen Salvaging builds up wealth pretty quickly because of those steel items. Sell all excess weaponry, especially the steel barbed wires, to the caravans. You get more stuff from them if they get a lot of wealth from trading with you anyways.
Another note, DO NOT USE SALVAGE FOR CARPENTRY. Don't know if you've been doing that, but if you have, stop immediately. Temporarily forbid all your salvage items if you have to.
Also, melee weapons are suicide against some of the later game enemies. Raiders are perfectly acceptable for melee combat, and slavers are okay if your soldiers are badflank enough, but Steel Ranger ambushes and pretty much anything with interactions will make your Stable's brief existence Fun without adequate ranged weaponry.

And Replica, good read as always.

I don't use salvage for carpentry... mostly. In my last fort I did have an accident where I forgot to link my normal wood stockpile to my wood furnace, but I fixed that (eventually). And I had actually just been looking at the raws and noticed that steel rangers and Unity trigger on wealth but not trade; I had actually been doing things backward, trading as little as possible for fear of getting my settlement noticed. I'm thinking next game I might set a pop cap (but not baby cap) of 80 or so, and keep a closer eye on created wealth to try to delay the big bads.

One big reason that my last fort fell is probably that I had just moved my 7 protectaponies to the entrance to the underground cavern. It seemed reasonable at the time that they'd be better at handling the radioactive ghouls while my military held the (surface) fort. Also, I discovered halfway through the last fort that you can make bone and wooden pellets (I guess I just assumed that, unlike bolts, they had to be metal) so hopefully I can do a bit more markspony training this time.

I do have one request, can someone write a guide on making use of the upgrade potions (particulary robot upgrades)? I'm not quite clear on how to best make use of them, so I've kind of been avoiding it so far.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »

Very good read Replica, sorry about your fever. All the power to you for being a real earth pony and powering through writing all this. However I'm going to have to give you a brief lesson in writing. It's a unicorn, not an. The u in unicorn is really making two sounds the consonant y and long oo. A and an are based purely on sounds, not just the first letter of the word they're put next to. 'A' for consonant and 'an' for vowel sounds. More often than not a word beginning with a vowel has an initial vowel sound, but that's not always the case, especially with 'u'.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 28, 2012, 04:05:49 pm »

Replica: Sorry to hear about the fever...I hope you get better soon! :)

> 4400 words long
Mother of God... :o

A fascinating read...I'm impressed at how you explained the various quirks and other minor bugs through the actions of your ponies.

> she was so hung over the next day that she couldn't figure out how to install ammo boxes to turrets anymore
 :P

> many parents took their little fillies and colt to play and cuddle with the yellow birdies.
A very nice touch there. Stuff like that is often ignored in regular community fortresses.

> it's okay to be innocent for the first few years of your life.
Even in the wastelands... :)

> she managed to trade yet another spool of wire, a lawnmower blade and a single barrel of low quality meals in exchange for all their wood, all their drinks, all their food (including fish which we don't need) and various assorted goods
A bit jarring, but you passed it off well. Oh the joys of the DF trading system. :-\

> and all we got are our hooves and mouths to work with, the sheer thought that he crafted this amazing statuette using just that is mind blowing.
The magic of the earth ponies is imbued in the crafts they make. :)

> 105 bars of fuel and 442 bars of iron.
I may need to lower scrap metal yields a bit. :'(

> But there is still much to do, such as actually covering the "airlock" to protect our trading partners from irradiated storms.
Your surface is becoming quite the complex there.

> We have been here since the founding of Lemon and we still haven't had any children... in fact, we haven't even married.
Maybe because somepony is too busy managing a Stable. :P

> Can you believe it? Out of 124 ponies not a single one of them knows how to bake muffins. Not one.
Well, muffins are a luxury in the wasteland.

> Also got to remember to open up those 56 broken civilian crates.
Damn Replica, you really lucked out on the salvage. :o The salvage yard should detect them however if they're in a nearby stockpile.

Bremen:
> It does seem like every fortress I make ends up getting conquered by Steel Ranger ambushes 2 or 3 years in.
An oversight on my part made the Steel Rangers resistant to steel medium caliber bullets, which shouldn't be the case. It will be fixed soon, but for now kinetic sledgehammers are your best bet. Chain weapons don't really perform well against the rangers, though after the next version steel and above should be effective.

I'm also annoyed that the maximum wealth trigger is 300k...this is too low given DF's ridiculous wealth values, such that Steel Rangers will begin ambushes 2-3 years in. I probably will make it a trade trigger, as that's more controllable than production, even though the limit is lower.

Development has been delayed a bit. :( New projected release date is Sunday.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:34:22 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 28, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »

> I do have one request, can someone write a guide on making use of the upgrade potions (particulary robot upgrades)?
What you need to do is set up a restricted-access (With doors or burrows) room smaller than 7x7 with your potions-making workshops and their appropriate reagent stockpiles nearby. Inside this room, set up a drink stockpile that only accepts upgrade potions. Pasture all robots/chickens/dogs/slave ponies to be upgraded in that room. When you have a pony that needs upgrading, move him to that burrow.

What will happen is that the drink gets manufactured, then moved to the restricted access room by a hauler. Once the hauler is inside the room with the drink, set the doors to forbidden so the hauler is trapped with the drink. Eventually, he'll get thirsty, drink the potion, and upgrade a nearby creature. If it's a specific pony you want upgraded, set him to that burrow and let the hauler out once the drink is in the room. After the upgrade is complete, you can let the new robot/upgraded pony out. Keep in mind that:

•   Upgrade potions are located under Food → Drink (Plant) in the stockpile settings.
•   Forbid your ordinary drink stockpiles from accepting upgrade potions.
•   Power armor upgrade potions only work for earth ponies.
•   Scorpion armor upgrade potions also work for unicorns.
•   Robot upgrade potions upgrade basic robots.
•   Robot assembly potions have their target (chicken, dog, or untrained slave pony) in their name.
•   Ponies can only have a single self-upgrade (power armor, battle saddle, or stealthbuck), but can perform unlimited robot upgrades.
•   Self-upgraded ponies undergo a name change and flash for a couple of seconds.
•   Ponies need to have direct line of sight to the robots they're upgrading.
•   There is an announcement for the upgrade in the (r) combat menu in (pony/robot) is fighting!
•   Self-upgraded ponies no longer show up on Dwarf Therapist.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:19:51 pm by Lycaeon »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:58 pm »

> I do have one request, can someone write a guide on making use of the upgrade potions (particulary robot upgrades)?
What you need to do is set up a restricted-access (Preferably with burrows) room smaller than 9x9 with your potions-making workshops (With their appropriate reagent stockpiles) and a drink stockpile that only accepts the potions from the workshops. This is to make sure the potions don't intermingle with ordinary drinks. Pasture all robots to be upgraded in that room. Whenever you have a pony that needs upgrading, move him to that burrow and have him perform the reaction, then lock him in the room. Once he gets thirsty, he'll drink the potion and either upgrade himself or one of the nearby robots. Then you can let him back out. Keep in mind that:

Ponies can only have a single self-upgrade, but can perform unlimited robot upgrades.
Self-upgraded ponies undergo a name change and flash for a couple of seconds.
Ponies need to have direct line of sight to the robots they're upgrading.
There is an announcement for the upgrade in the (r) combat menu in (pony/robot) is fighting!
Self-upgraded ponies no longer show up on Dwarf Therapist.

Hum, possibly a stupid question, but what reaction do you mean when you say to have the pony that needs upgrading perform the reaction?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 28, 2012, 04:39:37 pm »

It's the reaction to make the potion. I've edited that in and put a link on in the first post under Workshops and Industries.

I know it seems a bit complicated but once you have it up and running things should proceed smoothly. Upgrading ponies in the militia may take a bit more work though depending on your schedules.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 28, 2012, 04:55:27 pm »

Very good read Replica, sorry about your fever. All the power to you for being a real earth pony and powering through writing all this. However I'm going to have to give you a brief lesson in writing. It's a unicorn, not an. The u in unicorn is really making two sounds the consonant y and long oo. A and an are based purely on sounds, not just the first letter of the word they're put next to. 'A' for consonant and 'an' for vowel sounds. More often than not a word beginning with a vowel has an initial vowel sound, but that's not always the case, especially with 'u'.

Intentional, I haven't used "a unicorn" in ages.
Doesn't sound entirely right and no one minds or notices the difference.
In fact, people often try to correct you when you write "a unicorn", happens from time to time on fimfiction.

Unicorns are a bunch of scum and dirtbags anyway, they don't deserve proper spelling.

Lycaeon:
> 105 bars of fuel and 442 bars of iron.
>I may need to lower scrap metal yields a bit. :'(
> Also got to remember to open up those 56 broken civilian crates.
>Ok...lowering civilian crate drop rate as well. Damn Replica, you really lucked out on the salvage. :o The salvage yard should detect them however if they're in a nearby stockpile.

Careful Lyc, my stable is a special case.
I have lots of iron to smelt, all that iron came from smelting iron, I have barely touched my scrap metal.
The fuel is about 70% or so from salvage, yes, but I have also been stockpiling bit. coal since year 1, I only just began the metal industry in year 3.
If you lower scrap rate based on my limonite smelting industry you'll only end up screwing Maklak and the others over, heh.

As for the civie crates...
They are slightly more frequent than normal civie crates sure, but I haven't opened any broken crates at all (because the option was red and only just now discovered how to work around it), the 56 crates were also hoarded.
And I mean, honestly, 56 crates after almost 4 years of constant salvaging?
Dunno man, I'll let you be the judge of your own mod, I am just saying, maybe there is just nothing wrong with the two rates. :P

>> Can you believe it? Out of 124 ponies not a single one of them knows how to bake muffins. Not one.
>Well, muffins are a luxury in the wasteland.

A luxury... truly befitting the *coughbakingindustrycough*.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 28, 2012, 05:00:16 pm »

> Careful Lyc, my stable is a special case.
Yep...the crates made sense after I spent a moment thinking about it, and I didn't take into account ore production. I'll leave the values unchanged. Several version's worth of tweaking have made the system pretty balanced.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:28:36 pm by Lycaeon »

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 28, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »

With the upcoming cyberponies... do we have to crack open the skulls of innocent slaves? Why not some captured raiders or slavers? The brain is only used as a processor, isn't it? *

Also I agree with having enemies show up due to trading. After all, how is anypony supposed to know you have loads of prewar tech and salvage unless you trade it off?

*Nix that, there's such a thing as a Fallout Equestria wiki. I just got schooled.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:50:44 pm by Indigo_Surprise »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »

With the upcoming cyberponies... do we have to crack open the skulls of innocent slaves? Why not some captured raiders or slavers? The brain is only used as a processor, isn't it?

Also I agree with having enemies show up due to trading. After all, how is anypony supposed to know you have loads of prewar tech and salvage unless you trade it off?

The downside would be that five barbed steel wires are enough to hit the maximum trade progress trigger and end up with the Unity and the Steel Rangers fighting over who gets to loot your fort.

It does mean that you can live a more peaceful existence by keeping trading to a minimum, though.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 28, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »

Well, Vaults- er, Stables tend to be meant to button up until the trouble's past...

Also: Between this mod and the actual story I went out of my way and actually got Fallout 3. Seems I was right to succumb to that particular urge.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 210