Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472503 times)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Equestria: v0.92 beta (Phoebus Graphics)
« Reply #1035 on: December 29, 2012, 04:47:17 pm »

Yeh I noticed, we'll be rolling out as soon as Lycaeon releases his new version. :)
Didn't mean to sound sappy about it, but that's what my posts and messages end up like when feelings of regret are mixed with, well, vodka.

I do still savescum, but only when something critical happens, the ambush went well and Lycaeon's leg wasn't important anyway, he still has 3 more to spare.
Wont savescum the community fort though, that just kills the fun and random effect of premature endings.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »

> I'd therefore like to be some chance for things to spin out of control, just like with defective AIs.
Oh, you won't be disappointed. ;)

> I just never saw plasteel in any FoE fiction and I think introducing it was a mistake in the first place.
The novel heavily implied that there was a metal both stronger than steel and of lighter weight, enough for a power armor pegasi could fly in, and the catalyst for magical weaponry like the norvasurge rifles and plasma lances.

> I think the TRAPAVOID should be split into separate tags for cage and weapon traps.
That would be nice, but for the moment it's a single tag. I stick it on creatures I don't think should be caught in flimsy or even steel cages.

> The brain is used for computing and an AI takes care of targeting and everything else.
That is the case, yes, but the pacification programming wasn't always foolproof... :P

> This video pretty much shows that ONE barbed steel wire trap would do
Damn...it's not really that bad. It's just ordinary steel barbed wire...that happens to hit 200 times in an instant...

Yeah, I'll be lowering the hit count alright. :-\

> Anyways, a question. How effective are combat pistols (small caliber ammunition) against ghouls and glowing ghouls?
Maklak's got the right idea. At the moment, medium and high caliber bullets don't have the kinetic stopping power they should. I mean, a hit from a .50 cal decapitates limbs. That's something else I'm aiming to fix.

Replica:
> Lycaeon was amongst our wounded, he lost his lower left hindleg in the fight, ouch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

> The wounded all recover (this happens barely 15 minutes after the ambush), everyone return to their work as if nothing even happened.
Was this due to the Nurse Redheart?

> Crazy Cow's jumpsuit...
Oh dear... :P

> Fucking crazy, is what it is, can't believe our frail unicorns would be capable of doing such evil.
And we're still far from the Ministry of Arcane Sciences arc. ;)

Overall, another great read Replica. Can't wait until you get started on that community Stable. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:32:51 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 29, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »

> >The wounded all recover (this happens barely 15 minutes after the ambush), everyone return to their work as if nothing even happened.
>Was this due to the Nurse Redheart?

I am 50/50% sure that the Nurse Redheart bot had something to do with it, yes.
In my experience, 4 medium-serious injured ponies with gaping cuts, severed legs and broken lower spines don't just suddenly walk up and wander off on their own after 15 minutes running at 100FPS.
I ran the reaction successfully at least once, but with it being a gas I filled the entire que with the reaction just to make sure, so it's possible that it fixed more than one pony.
That robot is either a miracle worker or my medical staff is just that good.
I'll be having more opportunities to test that in the upcoming fights though, but from what I can tell, it works, and works well.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 29, 2012, 07:01:36 pm »

My plan to keep created wealth under 300k is working well, at least in terms of not getting destroyed by Steel Rangers. The downside is that trying to keep the value low really handicaps growth; I'm currently at 289k with 325k in exports, and I only managed to stay that low by keeping salvaging to a minimum. So I'm definitely looking forward to Steel Rangers being changed to a trade trigger.

I'm at 104 population, which is getting close to triggering them anyways, so after this next caravan comes I'll probably fort up for the winter and go crazy with salvage. Currently I have 29 high quality, 129 medium quality, and 13 ministry crates waiting for a christmas present opening frenzy. I'm hoping by the time the steel rangers get here I can greet them with a wall of miniguns.

One thing I discovered is that steel ammo is worth a lot, thousands per stack; if you're trying to keep your fortress value down, keep the ammo in boxes (or even fill medium boxes if you can) until you need it.

Edit: So, beneath lines of walls, fortifications, turrets, and moats, I've finally begun opening the treasure trove. Four foals in quick succession brought me over 110 pop, which I recall will trigger both the steel rangers and.. doh. That sudden disk skipping noise was me remembering Alicorns can fly.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:11:33 pm by Bremen »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 30, 2012, 12:00:55 am »

It's just that the maximum trade wealth trigger is only 30k. :-\ Hopefully that's high enough to allow for the trading of basic necessities, but otherwise you won't be able to trade for major goods like slaves and robots.

Would everyone prefer to make the rangers population triggered only?

> So, beneath lines of walls, fortifications, turrets, and moats, I've finally begun opening the treasure trove.
Let me know how it goes. I haven't yet seen a major late-game battle with the Unity apart from my own experimental Stables. :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:34:12 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 30, 2012, 01:00:00 am »

It's just that the maximum trade wealth trigger is only 30k. :-\ Hopefully that's high enough to allow for the trading of basic necessities, but otherwise you won't be able to trade for major goods like slaves and robots.

> So, beneath lines of walls, fortifications, turrets, and moats, I've finally begun opening the treasure trove.
Let me know how it goes. I haven't yet seen a major late-game battle with the Unity apart from my own experimental Stables. :)

It will definitely mean you have to heavily restrict trading if you don't want the Steel Rangers to arrive, but that's not really a bad thing; trading is very powerful. Plus it makes it harder to exploit caravans by buying high quality salvage off them :D

As far as my game, I had something interesting happen. Some slavers arrived to trade, and triggered a slaver ambush. The ambushers killed most of the trade caravan, but appear to be friendly with my fort; they're hanging out at the trade depot, and my turrets aren't shooting them/my ponies aren't spamming cancellation messages.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:03 am »

> Would everyone prefer to make the rangers population triggered only?
Yes, preferably at 120 population. Well, unless you can make it that only their scouts show up early.

Did my proposed fix to barbed wire work? I think it is now a piercing weapon (steel-grade). It should be a cutting weapon, which means bigger edge.

> Some slavers arrived to trade, and triggered a slaver ambush. The ambushers killed most of the trade caravan, but appear to be friendly with my fort; they're hanging out at the trade depot, and my turrets aren't shooting them/my ponies aren't spamming cancellation messages.
Yeah, I'm confused by slaver caravans and slaver ambushes showing up at the same time and fighting each other. Why?

> the lucky winner was P(ony)SI who gets super excited whenever she hears "Go kill X!"
Lol.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:55:02 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:37 am »

It will definitely mean you have to heavily restrict trading if you don't want the Steel Rangers to arrive, but that's not really a bad thing; trading is very powerful. Plus it makes it harder to exploit caravans by buying high quality salvage off them :D

As far as my game, I had something interesting happen. Some slavers arrived to trade, and triggered a slaver ambush. The ambushers killed most of the trade caravan, but appear to be friendly with my fort; they're hanging out at the trade depot, and my turrets aren't shooting them/my ponies aren't spamming cancellation messages.

Apparently the slave traders cut the slavers a bad deal and went out looking for revenge.

And to answer your question Maklak, slave traders and slavers are two separate entities.

Slavers have the baby snatcher token, which puts them in conflict with every single entity that doesn't also have that token.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:18:09 am by Indigo_Surprise »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 30, 2012, 03:39:27 pm »

@Would everyone prefer to make the rangers population triggered only?

Preferably, yes. 80 ponies sound like a good number, enough that the rangers would still be a major chalange but not enough that the fort would be fully "mature".
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 30, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »

I still kind of like the idea of Rangers being trade triggered and Unity population triggered. 30k is low, but it's something you can easily control; if you don't feel ready for the rangers, you only buy what you really need; if you feel prepared, or just want a fight, you can trade that barbed wire/extra combat rifle schematic for those nice steel bars and protectaponies.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 30, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »

This is report 9, but with a wall of screencaps instead of text.
Take it as you will, I am getting kinda tired with Lemon tbh.

Spoiler: Lemon Stable Report 11 (click to show/hide)

I still kind of like the idea of Rangers being trade triggered and Unity population triggered. 30k is low, but it's something you can easily control; if you don't feel ready for the rangers, you only buy what you really need; if you feel prepared, or just want a fight, you can trade that barbed wire/extra combat rifle schematic for those nice steel bars and protectaponies.

30k is NOT easy to control.
I sometimes get 30k worth of goods in less than 10 crates, and that's just scavenging, I am not even counting all the other operations you'd have to run.
If you are going to keep it under 30k in this mod you need to live like a true spartan, arm yourself like an elf, and let your ponies live in soviet union like conditions.

No, I say put a decently high pop cap on them.
Steel Rangers were only interested in Stable 2 because it was operational, and an operational stable has lots of ponies in it.
And by gameplay logic high popcap = decent fort and value.

Don't be afraid to ignore the wealth and popcaps, just scavenge lots, train a good militia and design a decent defense, you'll be fine.
Something I recently discovered (and even show in practice in the spoilers) is how the enemy is deathly afraid of AMR's, which have an insane range.
Chased away one large ambush of steel rangers and one small slaver siege with just two ponies armed with AMR's.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:40:53 pm by Replica »

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 30, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »

@ Replica. I've never even traded 30K away in my entire history of playing DF.

>"kick and push the shit out of everything using your metal hindlegs and floaty ball bits".

Sprite bot with truck nutz.

>Remember when black radscorpions where the cancer of everything? Yeah, not anymore.

If you see an Eldritch abomination every day, your mind stops being destroyed with inconceivable horror.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:21:12 pm by Indigo_Surprise »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 30, 2012, 06:29:42 pm »

@ Replica. I've never even traded 30K away in my entire history of playing DF.

Funny, I was going to tell you "well you WILL if you trade away prepared food and barbed steel wire left and right like I do!" but looking at my exported wealth I am under 30k by just under 4k bits, and my imported wealth goes way over that.
DF NPC traders are the worst, do they even have any appraising skill at all or has Toady just not worked on the trading system?

But in that case 30k export limit for steel rangers is cheaty, I wouldn't even have steel rangers showing up and would very unlikely ever have them appear later on, I am self sustained now, I trade for extra surplus of food that I already have in large supplies.

I can stop trading with the traders whenever I want! I swear!

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 30, 2012, 06:33:58 pm »

Nice report as always.

I support Rangers being population-based. The export thing will basically prevent you from trading, and when you're in an evil region, not trading will make your fort very boring very quickly. :/

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 30, 2012, 06:39:14 pm »

I routinely trade in excess of 10k with a single caravan. 30k is nothing to me. I can easily trade that much with a stable caravan after a good trade agreement.

Replica, for the time being you can equip the lone sniper with a hunting rifle and medium ammo. Those use the bow skill. Then switch her to AMR when she skills up. Come to think of it, I should try AMRs myself, before I get too bored with Ponderplanned.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 210