Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472707 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.98c beta) Life Goes On...
« Reply #1980 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »

> I have no idea what that script does, but it looks nifty.
Lets just say that next time I decide to make a crop table, it saves me some time. I still have to manually look over the RAWS and make notes, but turning those notes into a finished table will be instantaneous.

> > There should be a manifest.txt file with the current mod version inside the RAWs for just something like this.
> I'm not sure what you mean. The version number is already in the folder name.
I don't name my directories like that. I still say there should be a manifest.txt file with version, forum link and maybe brief descrioption or changelog somewhere in there.

As a side note, I don't think there will be a Linux version for a while after your next update. Masterwork needs to update to dfhack r3 so I can rip it off and Dwarf Therapist got buggy too.

Gzoker, that's an efficient way of writing reports, but I'd cut down on
"<ponyname> has learned a spell x20"

> Highlander Ponies.
Well... I can see you've put some work into it, but I'm against merging this into the FoE mod as it is. To me Highlander, Fallout and Ponies don't mix and cross-overs of more than two different sources generally isn't as good. Besides, that claymore is better than chainsaws and chainswords and it shouldn't be.
That said, I think much of this can be salvaged as Buffalo or Gangers or Savage / Tribal Ponies or something like that.

> Also I really want to know, will we ever get to interact with peaceful versions/factions of the Steel Rangers and Unity? I think some amazing things could happen if they were allies!
Those things might be possible with the next DF version, but for now Applejack's Rangers would just send caravans with high-end equipment and guards strong enough to stand their own against ambushes of late-game enemies, which isn't that interesting.

> This gives me the idea of perhaps the Enclave bringing Raptors with them when they attack your stable. Maybe even a thunderhead if you piss them off enough.
Thunderhead is a flying fortified city. They only have 4 of them and all are very well protected. Even one of those was enough to defeat a large portion of Red Eye's army and that's about 3 orders of magnitude more than we have. Absolutely out of the question. A Raptor is still big enough to carry several squads of Enclave soldiers and supplies for them. Also out of the question.
About the biggest things they could realistically bring to our stables battlefields are Vertibucks gunships. Those would be almost immune to anything short of AMRs and have wither heavy plasma guns or heavy machineguns that shoot large calibre bullets at maximum speed. Good luck fighting the Enclave after giving them gunships as mounts. It would be like Steel Rangers bringing tanks with them.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:22 pm »

Well aware of the "only 4 Thunderheads" thing. Thing is though, creatures like dragons really should be more than 1 tile in size, but aren't, and I had this hazy idea where they could be megabeast Civ leaders, although you would get odd things like "Wild" Thunderheads occasionally attacking. Kind of forgot about one plus its troop complement and a few raptors annihilating a large portion of Red Eye's army at the Cathedral though, so yeah, realistically we could not take one on (Red Eye had a cyber dragon with his army, for Celestia's sake, and he STILL could not take it on!). A raptor though? They used a few of those in the attack on Friendship City, and even the sabotaged harbor guns were capable of taking at least one of them out of the action. And that city wasn't exactly military as I recall, although it was MUCH bigger than anything we can realistically build (at least in terms of population). Also, if we can get our hooves on armor bypass ammo, taking on Raptors may not be so far fetched...although it would be a massive challenge still, but nowhere near as impossible as taking on a Thunderhead (which to be honest really might happen if they think you got your paws on enough Ministry of Awesome secrets-isn't that why they sent one to the Cathedral and another to Fillydelphia in the first place?*). As for Vertibucks, wouldn't Skytanks make for a better choice? Not familiar with Vertibucks as i have never touched project Horizons. Are they at all similar to a Vertibird?

*Or if there were few enough ponies involved, the Wonderbolts, like with Littlepip and her entourage. I'm fully aware though that "enough Ministry of Awesome Secrets" amounts pretty much only to "enough knowledge to threaten control of the SPP".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:10:40 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 22, 2013, 02:10:12 pm »

>Gzoker, that's an efficient way of writing reports, but I'd cut down on "<ponyname> has learned a spell x20"
Most of the time i only teach 4-6 unicorns tops, so i thought 16 would take much more time, and there would be other interesting notes between those messages. I started typing them in and after the first nine i choose consistency over aesthetics. This way it contains more information for development than writing day x everypony knows everything. None the less, I agree with your point that it looks ugly, and i will change this in the future.

I thought those highlanders are supposed to be the ones from Project Horizons. They would be a nice addition as a subcaste to wastelanders someday. Injecting the 'immortal' type of highlanders into fallout equestria is an idea so silly i just can't stop laughing from it.

Having too many civilizations means the trading with (and fighting against) other civilizations becomes chaotic, sometimes unmanageable. This issue could be addressed if Toady changes the code (not going to happen soon), or with a dfhack script that changes the active civilizations every year according to a pattern, or randomly. Sadly i don't have the skills and knowledge to write that script, but i believe it's possible.

Bringing heavy weaponry into a fistfight is not fair. Giving raptors to the enclave in dwarf fortress scale would mean 10-40 of them per siege. More than the whole enclave has if I remember correctly. The other thing, fighting against unsurmountable odds is fun occasionally, but waiting out every siege or killing them with an unbalanced game feature is not satisfying. ( I don't want to say exploit. )

Edit: A wonderbolt like black ops caste would be an awesome addition to the enclave. I support this idea.
Edit2: A raptor could be implemented as a megabeast perhaps, but that would make it an enemy of the enclave. Maybe a renegade raptor? Still not making much sense: the only ponies capable flying it would be pegasai, and those come in two flavor, enclave and dashite - and the later why would attack our stable? A pegasai turned dashite turned raider just looks too forced an explanation to occur so many times in the same world. I also can't imagine some community in the wasteland building one - Red Eye had all the resources - even pegasai for pilots - but he still didn't have them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:53:34 pm by gzoker »
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 22, 2013, 02:13:06 pm »

Dang, was hoping there was a way to limit how many an enemy could throw at you per siege. Still leaves us with Vertibucks and skytanks, unless there is a way to control raptor frequency.

Come to think of it, nothing fluffwise stopping us from building a raptor, assuming we can get the schematics and a Dashite who can help assemble the cloud bits. The enclave's major resource problem is new solid material, which is why they only have a limited number of raptors (forget the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 20) and 4 Thunderheads. This would probably be grossly unbalanced though, although it would take a ludicrous amount of resources to build.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:45:00 pm by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »

> As for Vertibucks, wouldn't Skytanks make for a better choice? Not familiar with Vertibucks as i have never touched project Horizons. Are they at all similar to a Vertibird?

A single skytank was still big enough to transport multiple prisoners and sturdy enough to withstand a few hits. Vertibucks weren't described in detail, but they are like vertibirds from Fallout 2, yes. Pretty much fancy military helicopters.

> I thought those highlanders are supposed to be the ones from Project Horizons.
My bad, then. I stopped reading Project horizons at chapter 36, I was too angry at the cheats in chapter 34 to continue.

> Bringing heavy weaponry into a fistfight is not fair.
I'm not a believer in fair fights :P

In any case AFAIK there are only three tokens for civilisations bringing pets with them and the possibilities are: everything that lives in subterranean biomes, everything from good biomes or something else. In any case all of those are taken by various creatures, including ghouls, and Steel Rangers couldn't even get to bring robots with them. The chances for Enclave bringing anything but a few squads of soldiers in Power Armour are slim, but having elite troops would work.
Come to think of it, it would be !fun! if Enclave and Griffins came at the same time and fought among themselves.

> Come to think of it, nothing fluffwise stopping us from building a raptor, assuming we can get the schematics and a Dashite who can help assemble the cloud bits.
That's like saying nothing stops us from building a Zeppelin if we have an engineer and some workers. Those things are enormous and complex. You also need tools and knowledge to build tools to build tools to build them. Well, we do develop the technology to build robots, power armours and so on, so I suppose Vertibucks and Skytanks might be doable, but at an enormous cost.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 22, 2013, 02:58:00 pm »

On raptors and thunderheads: I support this wholeheartedly. To get around certiant issues regarding why, exactly, they are flying around and shooting at you, we could just say that all the flying mechines (vertibucks, raptors, even thunderheads) have AI or really nice auto pilots for the sake of them roaming around and shooting at everything that comes near it. Could have them start out somewhere (mountains?) where other factions rarely set up shop, and effectivly give Enclavers exclusive pet-owning rights to them. It's messy, but the alterntives are just as messy.

Highlanders: yes, they are the group from PH, not the immortal sword wielders.  :P
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 22, 2013, 04:00:29 pm »

Highlanders: yes, they are the group from PH, not the immortal sword wielders.  :P
They apparently still use swords....  :P

Yea, I stopped reading PH also, cause main character turned the self-pity dial up to 12/10 for way too long.   At least Lilpip only had it up to 10/10... well that was bad enough anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 22, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »

As for AI controlled Enclave craft...no, not really. They do need a reason for attacking you, and that would be either part of their general invasion or because you pissed them off by tinkering with Ministry of Awesome stuff that they feel could lead you to threaten their control of the SPP. Though, you could give them crew as "meaty" internal parts that, once they are all killed (or at least the technical crew-other crew could serve as "shields" for the important crew) the vehicle becomes disabled, with death ensuing either then and/or once engines are broken.  Could be other important stuff too, but that's all I can think of off the bat.

As for energy weapons...I don't know if this would be possible, but could they emit magma mist that gets hurled at the enemy? I think this should achieve the desired melting effect if possible, and would also dramatically separate them from bullet weapons (might work for plasma types at least, would likely be too powerful for laser weapons). Would prevent ponies from stockpiling the shots too. Heck, maybe just a gas emission which, upon hitting a target, causes melting of the affected spot? Also, maybe add an ability for the scorpion tail of scorpion PA to inject poison in CQC?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:57:22 pm by Byakugan01 »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 23, 2013, 03:52:27 am »

> As for energy weapons...I don't know if this would be possible, but could they emit magma mist that gets hurled at the enemy?

I think Putman just proposed magma grenades, if "spawnFlow(projectile.cur_pos,6,0,0,50000)" does indeed spawn magma. I can't find the relevant wiki page with dfhack Lua API now.
EDIT: NVM, here it is, but it doesn't day what those numbers mean.

BTW, Lycaeon, how is the progress on the new version. Did you get something with autosyndrome to work?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:17:00 am by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #1989 on: March 23, 2013, 06:26:42 am »

Update: Pinkie Pie is Watching
Part 1 of the Ministry of Morale

Each and every day, bright pink trucks roll up and down the streets of pre-war Equestria, bringing with them the anticipation and joy of the Ministry of Morale's mass-produced parties, thrown to elevate the spirit of the population in the depths of an ever-worsening war. Sprite-bots flit through neighborhoods, piping sweet songs, while Pinkie Pie balloons hover over the major metropolises, watching. Always watching. Nopony liked the Ministry's parties. They didn't bring joy. Not a day passes when whispers fail to spread among small groups in corners far from a patrolling sprite-bot. Somepony was snatched at Sugarcube Corner. Another pony hasn't been heard from in over a week. And when the missing do return to their anxious families, they're no longer themselves. Oh, they laugh and smile, and say they're just fine, but the warmth is gone from their eyes. Certainly, news from the front is frightening. The zebras definitely are a threat. Perhaps a the sacrifice of a little freedom is necessary to keep us safe. To keep us happy. But which enemy is worse...the one in the newspapers, or the one looking over your shoulder, playing a cheerful polka tune?

Changelog
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As always, I greatly appreciate feedback on any issues encountered as well as suggestions for improvements. I hope you enjoy the new update!

Credits for the Pinkie Pie poster go to risenlordm!
Credits for the wasteland map go to SilentCarto!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:37:44 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 23, 2013, 06:40:09 am »

And lo, did the memory of why I have a mild fear of Pinkie Pie return. Damned propaganda poster.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 23, 2013, 08:46:01 am »

Yay, an update. Thank you Lycaeon for your hard work.
I start testing and bug hunting right away. :D
Power armor still doesn't work for unicorns, does it? Couldn't they wear the armor and the boots now?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:34:56 am by gzoker »
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:54 am »

Yay, new release.

Time to see if I can break it.

And to see just how effective the air rifles are, now, at hunting.

First Impressions:  I've been spoiled by Therapist.  Not having it is like walking around on one leg without the benefit of a crutch.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:19:42 am by Treason »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 23, 2013, 09:35:17 am »

May Celestia and Luna bless the Mother Of All Sprite-bots.
Rest in peace mistress Pinkie Pie.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 23, 2013, 11:09:04 am »

As far as brain drained prisoners go...why not set them to work doing hauling jobs and rock grinding? I think some of the ponies whose memories were extracted were sent to Shattered Hoof as I recall. And in doing so, we are reforming the uncivilized savages and slowly teaching them the pony way, just as Mistress Pinkie intended*! An option to run the reaction on unhappy ponies to remove their bad thoughts might not be a bad idea, keeping them happy and productive-at the cost of possibly lowering a mental attribute each time. Or giving friends a bad thought + a relationship decrease with any ponies involved who helped perform the procedure. Alot of the acts our tantruming ponies do would be classified by as Wartime Stress Disorder, right? And ponies did get their memories removed for that sort of thing.
*Ah, can we use them as robobrain fodder then?

My god, by the time this mod is finished we are going to be able to turn our stables into a den of questionable ethics and horror that would make even Red Eye, the Colonel and the Goddess think "I say, isn't that a bit much?"

And I just started my first stable last night, and now a new version comes out...which reminds me, should an earth pony be holding a machete in his hoof? Also, why can't I get the bloodwings my miltia butchered to get PROPERLY collected and butchered?! I need extra food to replace the stuff I sacrificed on embark for the security barding! Seriously, they won't put them in a refuse pile, nor dump them when I designate a garbage zone and set them to be dumped.

Also, why is this listed as 0.30 when the last version was 0.98c?

As for expeditions...will you still let us find high quality salvage by settling in the incredibly dangerous biomes?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:50:12 am by Byakugan01 »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 210