Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 472529 times)

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching (New Update!)
« Reply #2220 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:15 pm »

Either I'm extraordinarily unlucky, or I've somehow disabled MoAS crates. I brought several high quality salvage logs, and I've traded for more, but I haven't seen a single one, which is unfortunate, as I would like to get some power talismans.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: April 04, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »

Either I'm extraordinarily unlucky, or I've somehow disabled MoAS crates. I brought several high quality salvage logs, and I've traded for more, but I haven't seen a single one, which is unfortunate, as I would like to get some power talismans.
There's only a four percent chance of getting MAS or MoA crates.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:05 pm »

Also, power talismans do not necasarily have to come from MoAS crates.

I have a saved stable with five of them.  Two actually popped up in MoP crates, oddly enough.  One came from what I could have sworn was a civilian crate, and two from Rob. Crates.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »

Spoiler: MQ and HQ salvage raws (click to show/hide)

^ Crates marked in green.

^ Power Talismans marked in green.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 05, 2013, 12:03:44 am »

Replica: That's supposed to be a surprise. :(

Tahujdt: Ministry colors it is. :)

Maklak: It's ok to juggle power talismans and arcane terminals. It's not ok to use a linked terminal for a maneframe that doesn't exist. :-\

> There is more than that to using mines effectively.
You're right; 1-2 mines are all that's needed in a single chokepoint.

> Anyway, my second proposal is to use T1 gemstones for batteries and it doesn't matter which ones.
I'm more inclined to decrease the amount of spark batteries required for reactions to 1 or 2 max. In fact, I may very well do just that.

> Move REPAIR_POWER_ARMOR from Armoury to MWT prismatic forge.
Noted down.

> I propose that the maps be re-usable.
That's already the case, though their re-usability is lower than you described. I figured that it would only take 1 to 2 attacks before the targeted base relocates or beefs up its defenses, thus requiring more intel in order to reduce losses in subsequent assaults.

> (Scorpion) Power Armour Processing Matrix -> Pipbuck.
Pipbucks are plentiful enough methinks. They do use different technology from the power armors - SATS was just one of their integrated features.

> Power armor
I'm happy with the current system. The physical aspects of the armor are reverse-engineered using traditional earth pony mechanical design, while the repair and processing talisman that runs the armor's systems is scanned and duplicated at the Ministry of Arcane Science Research Facility, which has the equipment needed to analyze the complex arcano-tech.

Right now I'm recording feedback (Especially bug reports, though I'm pretty sure the current version is stable) due to having little time to mod. Suggestions are welcome! :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:07:42 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: April 05, 2013, 02:04:38 am »

What biome do Bale Pheonixs appear;I have been looking to tame some for war, along with a couple nightstalkers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:08:20 am by Iceblaster »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 05, 2013, 07:08:29 am »

Ah... the wonders of ghouls getting up and in my area during the whole time I was working on setting up a small above ground haven.

Did good for a time, then ponies started to die after my dog and sprite-bot population dropped like a brick.

The 2nd expedition leader took a good ol fashioned beatdown from one of my ponies trying to 'Attend Meeting' with him.  He was literally put into a coma... eventually, a Pegasus Ghoul got in from the incomplete roof and face stomped him.

The tantruming pony felt much better after that meeting, hasn't gone into a tantrum since.  Was doing it a lot before.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 05, 2013, 10:23:11 am »

Bleh, hate it when I embark in a warm area and it decides to freeze the entire ocean a day after winter arrives. Completely ruined my boat dock stable.

As for juggling mainframe parts, just make a single mainframe that covers all the terminals and copy the idea to the other talismans.
Power station- 4 power talismans, a terminal, lots of wiring and mechanisms. Turns wiring into power connectors that can be substituted for power talismans in buildings.
Pump station- Water talisman, terminal, lots of piping. Turns pipe sections into faucets, which can be substituted for the water talisman in pumps and fountains.

Yes someone could build these, churn out a thousand substitution talismans, then deconstruct the building and laugh at their fully powered powerless fort. But who cares? Not like anyone's gameplay affects anyone else. And maybe they have a scenario in mind, like "embarked next to a small hydroelectric plant, now my stable has all the power and water it'll ever need."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:03 am »

>Substitution Talismans
Like that idea, but I have a better-to me-idea, a generator

It would pretty much be a building that would require gasoline and would provide a substitution talisman, however gasoline would be rare(more common than power talismans but would be rare enough to where you can't have a million of them from starting with High salvage logs)

As for water... I have no better idea, though I would suggest a MoAS and a Stable Tec terminal instead of just a random terminal

EDIT: Nevermind, gzoker has explained why some of this can't work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:13:06 pm by Iceblaster »

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:49 pm »

Aside from the fact that the whole war has been over coal as a fuel source, gasoline's shelf-life is a lot shorter than 200 years... Depending on how old you think the planet of Equestria is, it may not even have any oil deposits at all. Substituting biofuel for gasoline, I don't see the point - most workshops using power talismans already have lower tier equivalents, and they can use coke converted from biofuel. Hydroponics's alternative is farming which doesn't need fuel at all. Metal industry has the vanilla smelter and forge. Robot manufacturing is for mature stables, and it has robot upgrading for an early alternative.
Instead of substituting talismans with something else we should be able to make them, which should require lots of resources, and only be available for stables which has advanced technology already - and the talisman forges do exactly this. If we were able to forge power talismans and water talismans then we wouldn't need any alternatives at all. MAS creates could contain some blueprints/research notes/special materials that could place a bottleneck on their production, or make them obtainable only through expeditions.
Giving us everything too soon defeats the purpose of having a technology tree, and makes gameplay dull and unexciting.

I think implementing maneframes as Maklak described it would be a good idea.

>Yes someone could build these, churn out a thousand substitution talismans, then deconstruct the building and laugh at their fully powered powerless fort. But who cares? Not like anyone's gameplay affects anyone else...
No, it doesn't. Having rules and mechanics will only affect those people who abide them, and they are set up exactly for those people. The ones who 'cheat' or roleplay things they can't do doesn't need rules anyway, so why design a game for them?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:35:07 pm by gzoker »
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 05, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

No, it doesn't. Having rules and mechanics will only affect those people who abide them, and they are set up exactly for those people. The ones who 'cheat' or roleplay things they can't do doesn't need rules anyway, so why design a game for them?
That's what I'm saying. Don't ignore good ideas or implement sub-par stuff just to limit unintended behavior.
I don't want to see ministry specific power and mainframe talismans added just to prevent people from juggling between the mainframes to churn out enough network terminals to get by then never rebuild a mainframe again.
And I definitely don't want to see mainframes taken off the drawing board just because there's no way to force workshops to stop working if the linked mainframe is deconstructed.

I don't want to see any good suggestions passed over just because they're no way to force players to not abuse the mechanics they would add.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 05, 2013, 05:10:17 pm »

Alright!  New World, New Stable.

Let's see if I can make some sort of story to go along with it...

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 05, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »

>I don't want to see any good suggestions passed over just because they're no way to force players to not abuse the mechanics they would add.
I don't know where I stand on this. In one hand I play with a lot of self-imposed restrictions on what I can and can't do to make the game more realistic and sometimes harder, so having more arbitrary rules wouldn't affect my gameplay too much; on the other hand sometimes less is more. Having a few suggestions implemented in ways that enhances and deepens the gameplay is better, than having every fluff in the mod, but without any actual effect - or worse, providing shortcuts for all the challenges that makes the mod interesting. I guess it depends on the suggestion, so I can partially agree with you.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:20:05 pm by gzoker »
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 06, 2013, 12:48:47 am »

> What biome do Bale Pheonixs appear?
They appear in savage regions.

> Maneframes
I understand everyone's points, and am considering a compromise; you can construct a maneframe for each Ministry, but it's permanent - for example, once you've built a Ministry of Morale Maneframe (An extremely heavy item requiring a power talisman, several MOM processing matrices, and miscellaneous components like wiring), you can't break it down for its component parts, leaving only the option of building it into a maneframe workshop that will produce the linked terminals (And have other possible uses as well ;))

Other issues exist though. It will take quite some time to integrate, as I'll need to either add terminal-linked versions of each Ministry building (Doubling the number of workshops), or replace the existing ones with terminal-links (Which makes extra processing matrices useless once you've built a maneframe). Feedback on this would be appreciated, as both are problematic.

Power talismans are more iffy. I imagined the buildings that use them requiring the full output for their energy-intensive tasks, with spark batteries used by the rest. I will keep Neowulf's suggestion in mind, however.

I'm not concerned about water talismans; the only workshops that use them on a permanent basis are the fountain and hydroponics farm.

Thanks for the input! :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:22:58 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2234 on: April 06, 2013, 04:59:25 am »

On Reverse Engineering and Magic production. This was supposed to be a guide to effective use of gems, but it became a kitchen sink of advanced industries.

1) Getting Paper
Sawmill (requires 2 blocks, 2 mechanisms and a large serrated disc)
Paper Mill (requires a mechanism)
Plywood Workshop (requires Mechanism and a Toolbox)
Scriptiorium

Paper is needed for Magic Research, Reverse Engineering and performances at the Theatre.

Sawmill is very useful for Plywood, which cuts wood use for furniture roughly by half, but here we need it for Paper. First process wood into fibres. Apart form wood the reaction needs a large stone pot, so check the "give to workshop" orders if the reaction is red. This results in stone pots with "pine", "oak" or other trees, that are for some reason get carried into stockpiles accepting.

After getting fibres, make Paper at the paper mill. Silk is somewhat harder to obtain than cloth, but you want to have some around for strange moods anyway. Caravans sometimes bring silk thread or cloth, there are collectable silk webs in the caverns and finally you can process 5 tallow, 1 oil or 5 alcohol into 1 biofuel at the biofuel refinery and then 5 biofuel into 1 Nylon thread at the chemistry lab (needs clear glass vials). In any case, you don't need a lot of silk paper. Or plant paper, for that matter.
  • Paper Mill: 1 plant cloth + 1 wood fibre -> 10 stacks of paper. (ITEM_PAPER_PLANT)
  • Paper Mill: 1 silk cloth + 1 wood fibre -> 10 stacks of silk paper. (ITEM_PAPER_SILK)
  • Scriptorium: 1 stack of paper -> 4 low-quality blank scrolls (ITEM_SCROLL_PAPER)
  • Scriptorium: 1 stack of silk paper -> 4 high-quality blank scrolls (ITEM_SCROLL_SILK)
Once you have the stacks of paper, process some (not all) of them into scrolls at the Scriptorium. The Scriptorium is also the place where Theatre performances and final versions of reverse-engineered plans of weapons and power armours are made. You get 40 scrolls per tree, which is a lot.

2) Reverse engineering weapons and armour.
This has little to do with gems, but since it uses paper and is related to reverse-engineering Power Armour Matrices, I'll throw it in here. These are the relevant buildings:
Armoury (requires Mechanism, Armour Stand and Weapon Rack)
MWT Prismatic forge (requires Power Talisman and MWT Terminal, made from MWT processing matrix).
MAW Prismatic Forge (requires Power Talisman and MAW Terminal, made from MAW processing matrix). 

You can reverse-engineer Combat rifles, AMRs, Flamethrowers and Miniguns at the workbench. To do that you need one or more (usually 2 or 3) weapons of that type, which will be consumed, producing notes. One note per reaction is guaranteed, but you'll usually get more. When you have four of them, they can be combined into schematics at the scriptorium. All types of schematics can also be found in crates. Combat Rifle schematics is also needed to manufacture a chainsaw or a ripper combat rifle. (Those are made from steel and either a chainsaw or a ripper, with material being the same as that of the melee weapon.)
  • Workbench: 1 Weapon + 1 stack of paper -> 1-2 scrap parts for refurbishing rifles + 1-4 notes (separate for each weapon, 100% + 50% + 25% + 12% for combat rifles and flame-throwers and 100% + 25% + 12% +6% for AMRs and miniguns).
  • Scriptorium: 4 Reverse-engineering notes + 1 high-quality blank silk scroll -> 1 schematics.
Reverse-engineering Power Armours is more complicated. Boxes of Power Armour have a low chance of being found in crates (4% MWT and 64% Ranger), so for the most part you'll have to rely on killing Steel Rangers and removing their broken armours at the Salvage Yard. This will give you broken power armours, broken power armour helmets and power armour matrices. You should get a few pieces per a squad of Rangers. These 3 items can be repaired and put together into a box with working set at the Armoury. Then it can be prepared to be worn, also at the Armoury. Armoury can also repackage a working Power Armour into a box. This is useful to bump quality or get another power armour training token, but it will cost Med-X, Healing Potions and batteries every time you do it. Armoury also deals with Scorpion Power armour in a similar way.
Once you get the schematics, Power Armour Boxes can be made at the MWT Prismatic forge from working Power Armour Matrices (can be reverse-engineered separately) and 12 bars of steel. Scorpion Power Armours can be made at the MAW Prismatic forge, but are bottlenecked by how much Plasteel you have.
  • Salvage Yard: 1 Dead Steel Ranger -> Broken Power Armour (16%) + Broken Power Armour Helmet (16%) + Power Armour Matrix (16%) + stuff, including medium steel bullets, miniguns, healing and med-x carnisters. 
  • Armoury: 1 Broken Power Armour + 1 Broken Power Armour Helmet + 1 Power Armour Matrix + 3 Steel Bars + 1 Spark Battery -> 1 Depleted Battery + 1 Power Armour Box
  • Armoury 1 Power Armour Box + 4 Spark Batteries + 1 Med-X + 1 Healing Potion -> 1 PA Barding + 1 PA Helmet + 4 PA Boots + 1 PA training token
  • Armoury 1 PA Barding + 1 PA Helmet + 4 PA Boots -> 1 Power Armour Box
  • Armoury 1 Scorpion Power Armour Box + 2 Spark Batteries -> 1 Scorpion Barding + 1 Scorpion Helmet + 4 Scorpion Boots
  • Armoury 1 Scorpion Barding + 1 Scorpion Helmet + 4 Scorpion Boots -> 1 Scorpion Power Armour Box

• MWT forge 1 PA Schematics + 1 PA Matrix + 12 Steel Bars -> 1 Power Armour Box
  • MAW forge 1 SPA Schematics + 8 Plasteel bars + 1 SPA matrix -> SPA box
Some of these reactions are included just to give you a perspective on Reverse-engineering of Power Armours. You can do that at the MWT forge and there are two ways to do it; either from just broken bardings and helmets or from complete boxes, which works better, is faster and gives you more steel. It is probably best to just repair and assemble the first 5 or so complete sets, then reverse-engineer the rest using boxes. In any case, Power Armour production will hit either Med-X or Healing Potion bottleneck, because those can't be made in the current version and are also useful for other things, like cyborgs and autoinjectors. 
It is simpler with Scorpion Power Armours, because there are no broken pieces yet. You can only make those armours (having a reverse-engineered Schematics) or find them in MAW crates (16%, but only 4% chance for a MAW crate in high quality salvage) or Talon Crates (4%, obtainable only through expeditions after processing memories of captured Talon Mercenaries). The Scorpion Power Armour Matrices can be reverse-engineered and produced separately. In any case, it is probably better to just unpack the SPAs and use them, because their production is bottlenecked by Plasteel, which we can't produce at all, only find it in crates. Besides, plasteel can also be used for chains for Chainsaws, Rippers and Chainswords, which should have no trouble cutting Steel and that's useful too. Well, unless you have starmetal chains. All reactions involving Plasteel take place at the MAW prismatic Froge.
  • MWT forge: 1 Broken Power Armour + 1 Broken Power Armour Helmet + 1 Stack of plant paper -> 4 Steel Bars + A chance for PA Notes (25% + 12%)
  • MWT forge: 1 Power Armour Box + 1 Stack of plant paper -> 8 Steel Bars + Power Armour Matrix + PA Nones (100% + 25% + 12% + 6%)
  • MAW forge: 1 SPA Schematics + 1 SPA Matrix + 8 Plasteel Bars -> 1 SPA Box.
  • MAW forge: 1 SPA Box + 1 Stack of Plant Paper -> 4 Plasteel Bars + 1 SPA Matrix + SPA Design notes (100% + 25% + 12% + 6%).
4 Design notes can be combined with a silk paper scroll at the scriptorium for a complete Armour Schematics. The Matrices cannot be directly found in salvage (except Steel Ranger Corpses) and must be reverse-engineered separately. 

3) Glass
Salvage often has broken glass in it, which is processed at the Kiln into green glass and (sometimes) clear glass. You'll get more green glass than you'll know what to do with and it isn't much good for anything, maybe except training jewellers. On the other hoof, clear glass has a lot of uses and you'll have to make some yourself. Especially that the listed items have to be made from sand and pearlash at the glass furnace and can't be made from the rough clear glass you can get from caravans melting broken glass. You will usually need to use a rock grinder, rocks and bags to make sand (or just "collect sand" in the sand layer) as well as (magma) kiln and ashery to make pearlash to cover your needs for clear glass. some clear glass can be bought from caravans, but again, it can't be used to make these items:
  • Stasis Bay needs a Clear Glass window to put a pony in cryo sleep.
  • Display Cases and Statuette workshops require Clear Glass Boxes.
  • Minigun Protectorponies, Cyberdogs and Robobrains require a clear glass block, so keep a few around.
  • 2 clear glass vials are needed for the chemistry lab that can process biofuel into useful items. Well, Nylon. 

Clear Glass can be cut to lenses (90% chance) or blank data hologems (80% chance) at the arcane gemcrafting station or just data hologems (100% chance) at the MAS gemcrafting station.

Two clear glass lenses are needed for the Arcane Research Facility (MAS version requires gem lenses from clear diamonds) and two for each AMR, so you'll normally only need ten or so. In any case, it is cheaper to refurbish low-quality AMRs that to produce a lot of them.

Clear Glass Hologems are used as data hologems for reverse-engineering processing matrices and talismans. You'll need 4 per each attempt and it usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to get each design hologem (and you may want multiples of those), so let's be optimists here and assume, you'll on average need 10 clear glass blocks per design hologem. As of 0.30 reverse-engineerable items include: Spark Batteries (plentiful and hard to make, so you might want to skip them), Kinetic Talismans, Basic and Advanced Robot Processing Matrices, Power Armour and Scorpion Power Armour Processing matrices (only needed if you reverse-engineer SPA, so you might want to skip them too), and Neural Interface Talismans. That's 70 hologems plus another 10 clear glass for lenses.

On the other hoof, for reverse-engineering spell matrices you need 1 Prismatic hologem each (80% chance to produce at the MAS Gemcrafting station), so until you get some clear diamonds and a MAS terminal, it may be best to just hold off on clear glass hologems and partial reverse-engineering. If you luck out on a few clear diamonds from a MAS crate or rock grinding, consider making 2 pristine universal lenses for a MAS research facility first. It is needed for the Time Stop spell and reverse-engineering advanced spell matrices.

4) Getting gems.
The gem sources are minig, Rock Grinding, MASC Crates and Trading (T1 to T3).
Please note that I may have made some mistakes in these tables, so don't rely on them too much. I'll skip listing all the gems and their tiers. You will always see the kind and tier of a gem in it's name and this information is in the other spell guide anyway.

Rock Grinding takes place at a Rock Grinder. It needs a mechanism and a millstone. It is best to surround it with non-economic (and non-starmetal) stone stockpile with 3 wheelbarrows. Enabling Flux stone (from bonemeal) and Gypsum (from MoP crates) can be considered if you're running out of rocks. One reaction  takes 10 rocks and can produce these gems: 

T1T2T3T4
Alteration-6+6+6+6+6+64-
Conjuration8+8+66+6+6--
Destruction8+6+6+66+6+6+64-
Illusion8+6+66+6+6+6+6+64-
Restoration8+8+6+66+6+6+6+6+64-
Clear Diamond for Pristine Lenses has 8% chance of being found, which is surprisingly frequent. In-fluff it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but in-crunch we have to get those diamonds for 2 Pristine lenses and a few Pristine hologems from somewhere.
In addition, there is a low chance for some ores, saltpetre and coal.

Opening MAS Crates (4% chance from high quality salvage) at the Supply Depot can get you these:

T1T2T3T4
Alteration--64+32+1632+32
Conjuration---32
Destruction--64+32+1632+32
Illusion--64+32+1632
Restoration--64+32+1632
Clear Diamond for Pristinine Lenses 32%.

The only UNIVERSAL_MAX gem is Clear Diamond. They can be found in MASC crates (32%, but such a crate is only in HQS and only 4% of the time) or obtained through Rock Grinding (8%, which is very high). Clear Diamonds can also very rarely be mined inside clusters of yellow diamonds inside Kimberlite in Gabbro layers.

5) Using Gems
First let's look at what the magic workshops require. I listed only the important items, but they also need chairs, tables and other common furniture, so always keep around a few spares.
Arcane Gemcrafting Station (requires Arcane Terminal)
Arcane Research Facility (requires Arcane Terminal and 2 Universal Glass Lenses)
Arcane Terminal (requires Arcane Terminal)
Arcane Talisman Forge (requires Arcane Terminal and Power Talisman)
MAS Terminal (requires MAS Terminal)
MAS Gemcrafting Station (requires MAS Terminal)
MAS Research Facility (requires MAS Terminal and 2 Pristine Universal Clear Diamond Lenses)
MAS Talisman Forge (requires MAS Terminal and a Power Talisman)

Arcane Terminal needs a Stable-Tec Processing Matrix, Monitor, Interface, Cabinet, Coiled wiring and 2 Spark Batteries. MAS Terminal requires a much rarer MAS processing matrix instead, which is only obtainable from Disabled Terminals (2%) and from MAS crates (64%, but a MAS crate is only in High quality Salvage 4% of the time).

MAS Research facility needs a MAS terminal and two ITEM_LENS_UNIVERSAL_MAX (clear diamond lens). Since that's the only use for clear diamond lens, you can process the rest of your clear diamonds into prismatic hologems for reverse-engineering spell matrices.

Caravans bring small gems up to T3, so always buy out T2 and T3 gems and even order them from the liaison. They can be processed into rough gems usable for magic reactions. The Arcane Gemcrafting Station does this at 60% efficiency and the MAS Gemcrafting station with 80% efficiency.

T4 Gems can be obtained from MAS crates and mining only, except that you can also get clear diamonds (for pristine lenses and design hologems) from rock grinding.
  • Lenses reactions, Arcane Gemcrafting Station:
    * Rough Clear Glass -> Universal Glass Lens (90%) (ITEM_LENS_UNIVERSAL)
    * Rough A1/C1/D1/I1/R1 gem -> Low quality lens of the appropriate school (80%) (ITEM_LENS_ILLUSION_LOW)
    * Rough A2/C2/D2/I2/R2 gem -> Mid quality lens of the appropriate school (70%) (ITEM_LENS_ILLUSION_MID)

• Lenses reactions, MAS Gemcrafting Station:
    * Rough U4 gem (diamond) -> Pristine universal diamond lens (80%) (ITEM_LENS_UNIVERSAL_MAX)
    * Rough A1/C1/D1/I1/R1 gem -> Low quality lens of the appropriate school (100%) (ITEM_LENS_ILLUSION_LOW)
    * Rough A2/C2/D2/I2/R2 gem -> Mid quality lens of the appropriate school (100%) (ITEM_LENS_ILLUSION_MID)
    * Rough A3/C3/D3/I3/R3 gem -> High quality lens of the appropriate school (90%) (ITEM_LENS_ALTERATION_HIGH)
    * Rough A4/C4/D4/I4/R4 gem -> Max quality lens of the appropriate school (80%) (ITEM_LENS_ALTERATION_MAX)

• Hologems reactions, Arcane Gemcrafting Station:
    * Rough Clear Glass -> Data hologem (80%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_DATA)
    * Rough A2/C2/D2/I2/R2 gem -> Basic hologem (80%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_ALTERATION_LOW)
    * Rough A3/C3/D3/I3/R3 gem -> Advanced hologem of the appropriate school (70%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_ALTERATION_MID)

• Hologems reactions, MAS Gemcrafting Station:
    * Rough Clear Glass -> Data hologem (100%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_DATA)
    * Rough U4 gem (diamond) -> Prismatic Hologem (80%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_PRISMATIC)
    * Rough A2/C2/D2/I2/R2 gem -> Basic hologem (100%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_ALTERATION_LOW)
    * Rough A3/C3/D3/I3/R3 gem -> Advanced hologem of the appropriate school (90%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_ALTERATION_MID)
    * Rough A4/C4/D4/I4/R4 gem -> High quality hologem of the appropriate school (80%) (ITEM_HOLOGEM_ALTERATION_HIGH)
The only thing that a MAS Gemcrafting station can't do better is making clear glass lenses, which can only be made at an Arcane Gemcrafting station, so keep one around if you plan on making AMRs, but otherwise move all your rough and cut gem processing to MAS gemcrafting stations when they become available.

6) Reverse-engineering and producing Spell Matrices.
All reactions that produce arcane vapours (poisonous to Earth Ponies) also require alchemy, so you could just enable it on the Unicorns and hope that no EPs will wonder by to put items in stockpiles. However, the best way to prevent such accidents is actually not having any stockpiles that accept scrolls, lenses, empty and spell hologems and depleted batteries. This will keep the EPs away, reduce the number oh hauling jobs, make spell hologems end up where they're needed (at the terminals) and prevent arcane research from being unavailable, because somepony is carrying bins around. It will clutter some workshops, but since all the reactions added in this mod are fast, this shouldn't matter anyway.

There is no way to reverse-engineer or produce any of the Processing Matrices used for Terminals, even Stable-Tec or Pipbucks, so those items can only be found in crates.

Reverse-engineering, Arcane Research Facility
* Charged Spark Battery + 4 (Clear Glass) Data Hologems -> Hologems with data on Spark Batteries (100% + 25% + 12% + 6%)
For Kinetic Talisman and Basic Robot Processing Matrix, this works pretty much the same:
* KT / BRPM + 4 Data Hologems + Spark Battery -> Depleted Battery + Hologems with data on KT / BRPM (100% + 25% + 12% + 6%)
Four data hologems can then put together into a finished Design Hologem of appropriate type at the Arcane Terminal, but this requires a prismatic hologem from a clear diamond. The result can then be used at the Talisman Forge to make that item from Basic Gem Hologems (yes, from T2 gems).
* 4 SPB / KT / BRPM Data Hologems + 1 Prismatic Hologem -> 1 SPB / KT / BPRM Design Hologem.

Reverse-engineereing, MAS Research Facility
It can reverse-engineer Neural Interface Talismans (useful for Pinkamnenas and MoP Facility, but the biggest drain are robobrains and robodogs), Advanced robot Processing Matrix (used for bigger robots), Power Armour Processing Matrix and Scorpion Power Armour Processing Matrix.
* Talisman + 4 Data Hologems + Spark Battery -> Depleted Battery + Hologems with data on that Talisman (100% + 25% + 12% + 6%)
Four Data hologems from these reactions can be combined into a finished Design hologem of the correct type, but this again requires a prismatic hologem from a diamond. All the resulting Design hologems are used at the Talisman fogre to make Processing Matrices and Talismans out of T2 Hologems.

Spell Matrix and Talisman production, Arcane Talisman Forge.
* SB design hologem (preserved) + Basic Restoration Hologem + Basic Alteration Hologem -> Charged Spark Battery 
* KT design hologem (preserved) + Basic Destruction Hologem + Basic Alteration Hologem -> Kinetic Talisman
* BRPM design hologem (preserved) + Basic Conjuration hologem + Basic Illusion Hologem -> Basic Robot Processing Matrix
Talisman Forge can also copy AI hologems for Protectorponies and Nurse Redhearts. These don't have to be reverse-engineered, you just need to have at least one in stock.
* AI Protectorpony / Redheart Hologem (preserved) + Basic Alteration Hologem -> AI Protectorpony / Redheart Hologem
Talisman forge can also copy some of the training hologems: arcade, cooking, clothesmaking, gemcrafting, social skills, high society, checklist, first aid, veterinary, military tactics.
* Training Hologem (preserved) + Basic Illusion Hologem -> Training Hologem.

Spell Matrix and Talisman production, MAS Talisman Forge.
* NIT design hologem (preserved) + Basic Illusion Hologem + Basic Alteration Hologem -> Neural Interface Talisman
* ARPM design hologem (preserved) + Basic Conjuration Hologem + Basic Illusion Hologem + Basic Alteration Hologem -> Advanced Robot Processing Matrix
* PAPM design hologem (preserved) + Basic Alteration Hologem + Basic Illusion Hologem + Basic Restoration Hologem -> Power Armour Processing Matrix
* SPAPM design hologem (preserved) + Basic Alteration Hologem + Basic Illusion Hologem -> Scorpion Power Armour Processing Matrix
MAS Talisman Forge can also copy AI hologems for Macintosh and Pinkamnena. These don't have to be reverse-engineered, you just need to have at least one in stock.
* AI Macintosh / Pinkamena Hologem (preserved) + Basic Alteration Hologem -> AI Macintosh / Pinkamena Hologem
MAS Talisman forge can also copy come of the training hologems: diagnosis, surgery, orthopedic, melee, firearms, artillery, armorsmithing, weponsmithing, metalsmithing, engineering, black ops.

7) Spell Research
Once we have all those lenses, hologems and paper, it is time to put them to use. Basic spells are prepared at the Arcane Research Facility, then transcribed into hologems at the Arcane Terminal. Basic Spells are reasonably easy and cheap to get, so you should definitely get them all, preferably in 2 copies each to avoid any stockpiling issues. Adept spells are much more difficult and expensive to make, so it may be best to delay making them or even skip them entirely.

Arcane Research Facility, in addition to reverse-engineering the simpler spell matrices, is used for researching spells. It uses up lenses, with 4 different reactions, depending on what lenses are used. Each reaction uses lenses appropriate for that school of magic, with "Pristine" meaning not diamond lens, but rather lens from a T4 gem from that school. It also depletes a battery. The important product is the ITEM_SCROLL_school_LOW. Using med-quality lenses from T2 gems is probably the most effective for this, although anything will work and T2 gems are needed for spell hologems and Talisman Forge. Oddly enough you can research basic Conjuration, even though Stable Ponies have no spells from that school. Another set of reactions lets you research the advanced spells here as well. It requires lenses from appropriate school, silk scrolls, a scroll with a basic spell from that school and a few charged batteries.
  • 4 Low Quality Lenses (A/C/D/I/R) + 1 Paper Scroll + 1 Spark Battery --> Depleted Battery + 1 Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Low quality lenses (80% + 80% + 80% + 80%)
  • 2 Mid Quality Lenses (A/C/D/I/R) + 1 Paper Scroll + 1 Spark Battery --> Depleted Battery + 1 Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Mid quality lenses (90% + 90%)
  • 1 High Quality Lens (A/C/D/I/R) + 1 Paper Scroll + 1 Spark Battery --> Depleted Battery + 1 Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + High quality lens (95%)
  • 1 Pristine Lens (A/C/D/I/R) + 1 Paper Scroll + 1 Spark Battery --> Depleted Battery + 1 Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Pristine Lens (98%)
  • 4 Mid quality Lenses (A/C/D/I/R) + Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Silk scroll + 3 Spark batteries --> 3 Depleted batteries + Mid Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Mid quality lenses (80% + 80% + 80% + 80%)
  • 2 High quality Lenses (A/C/D/I/R) + Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Silk scroll + 2 Spark batteries --> 2 Depleted batteries + Mid Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + High quality lenses (90% + 90%)
  • 1 Pristine Lens (A/C/D/I/R) + Basic Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Silk scroll + Spark battery --> Depleted battery + Mid Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Pristine lens (95%)
MAS Research Facility only does the most advanced arcane research, using scrolls from Arcane Research Facility. It is best to use as high quality lenses as possible and a Spark Generator will be a must, especially for advanced research. Fortunately, only Time Stop uses this level of magic research.  It's reactions are as follows:
  • 4 High Quality lenses (A/C/D/I/R) + Mid Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Silk Scroll + 8 Spark batteries --> 8 Depleted batteries + High Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + High Quality lenses (80% + 80% + 80% + 80%)
  • 2 Pristine lenses (A/C/D/I/R) + Mid Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Silk Scroll + 6 Spark batteries --> 6 Depleted batteries + High Scroll (A/C/D/I/R) + Pristine lenses (90% + 90%)
Transcribing spells into hologems
Basic spells only require a Basic quality hologem (from T2 gem) and a Basic Scroll from that school of magic. The product is a spell hologem that can be used to learn that spell at the very same terminal. The reactions aren't divided by schools of magic, but rather by target spells. It is similar for advanced spells, although they require a hologem with lower level version of the same spell, so Bind is used for Paralyze and so on.
* Basic Hologem (A/D/I/R) + Basic Scroll (A/D/I/R) -> Basic Spell Hologem (Bind, Pain and so on)
* Advanced Hologem (A/D) + Mid Scroll (A/D) + Basic Spell Hologem -> Advanced Spell Hologem.

MAS Terminal can transcribe all advanced spells and the only spell it adds over Arcane terminal is Time Stop. Transcription works as described above, but Time spells are an exception. Paralyze uses Bind, but Time Dilatation and Time Stop do this: 
* Advanced Hologem (A) + Mid Scroll (A) + Bind hologem + Paralyse hologem -> Time Dilatation Hologem
* High quality Hologem (A) + High Scroll (A) + Bind hologem + Paralyse hologem + Time Dilatation Hologem -> Time Stop Hologem

As you can see, All advanced arcane research save for Alteration, all Mid arcane research save for Alteration and Destruction and Basic Conjuration research could safely be removed from the MAS / Arcane research facilities, making them less confusing.

While it may make sense to get 2 copies of each basic spell, one hologem for each advanced spell is enough as only a few ponies will be able to learn them. Assuming 2 basic and 1 of each advanced spell, these materials will be needed:
  • 1 High Quality Alteration Hologem. (A4)
  • 6 Advanced Alteration Hologems. (A3)
  • At least 2 Pristinine (A4) or at least 5 High Quality (A3) Lenses. 
  • 9 Basic Alteration Hologems. (A2, for Bind)
  • Some A2 or A1 lenses, if available in quantity.
  • 3 Advanced Destruction Hologems (D3)
  • 9 Basic Destruction Hologems (D2)
  • Some D2 or higher lenses.
  • 4 Basic Illusion Hologems (I2)
  • Illusion Lenses (any)
  • 4 Basic Restoration Hologems (R2)
  • Restoration lenses (any)
  • 1 High Alteration scroll.
  • 7 Mid Alteration scrolls.
  • 16 Low Alteration scrolls.
  • 3 Mid Destruction scrolls.
  • 12 Low Destruction scrolls
  • 4 Low Illusion scrolls,
  • 4 Low Restoration scrolls.
  • 12 Silk Scrolls
  • 36 Paper Scrolls

The rest of T2 gems should be converted to hologems for production of various spell matrices and any leftover lenses, T1, T3 or T4 gems except U4 diamonds won't matter, except for the few hologems listed and lenses for research. 

8) Spells
Much of the information on spells is covered here. That guide, however, lacks the precise effects of spells and information on reactions and resources to make spell hologems.

Some Unicorns are more magical than others and get stronger versions of basic spells with shorter cooldown. There are four levels: Novice, Apprentice, Adept and Master. Higher level Unicorns can also learn basic spells from one additional school (apprentices) or all basic spells (adepts). Spells typically have low range, so are used more often by the melee ponies, preferably in Scorpion Power Armours and without Minigun Battle Saddles. Once a Novice (or Apprentce from another school) learns a spell, only other spells from that school (plus from the Apprentice's main school) can be learned by that pony. Since an enemy can be targeted by many different spells at once, it is best to maintain variety within Unicorn squads.

These are the Basic spells available to Stable Ponies.

Novice (Pony without a talent for magic) gets T1 spell.
Magic Apprentice, Apprentice of this school of magic and Adepts from other schools get T2 spell.
Adept of this school and Magic Master get T3 spell.
The spell effects and immune creatures are the same, regardless of who uses it. What changes is that higher level Unicorns get an additional target, more range and finally shorter cooldown and are able to keep the effect running continuously.

This is listed for bind, but it works the same for other basic offensive spells. Basically the higher level a Unicorn is, the faster and more efficiently she can use a spell, but the effects themselves are the same. BIND and BIND_OFFENSE can't work on the same target at the same time, so they will usually be used on different targets. 
Novice: INSTALL_BIND_1 (Makes Alteration the chosen school of magic)
   BIND_OFFENSE: On Attack, cast this on 1 target within 2 tiles in LoS every 288 TUs.
Magic Apprentice, Alteration Apprentice, Adepts from other schools: INSTALL_BIND_2
   BIND_OFFENSE: On Attack, cast this on 1 target within 3 tiles in LoS every 288 TUs.
   BIND: Cast this on an enemy target within 2 tiles in LoS every 288 TUs.
Alteration Adept, Magic Master: INSTALL_BIND_3
   BIND_OFFENSE: On Attack, cast this on 1 target within 4 tiles in LoS every 144 TUs.
   BIND: Cast this on an enemy target within 3 tiles in LoS every 144 TUs.

Alteration: Bind (Hold enemies with Telekinesis). Effects:
BIND_OFFENSE / BIND: Decreases Speed, Skill rolls, Agility and Kinesthetic Sense of targeted creature by 50% for 150 TUs. There are lots of immunities againts it.

Destruction: Pain (Causes pain to enemies). This is the weakest destructions spell and should be researched and taught last. Powerful enemies as well as those with NOPAIN are immune.
PAIN_OFFENCE / PAIN: 100 Pain for 150 TUs

Destruction: Fever Creatuees with NOFEVER and NONAUSEA are immune.
FEVER_OFFECE/ FEVER: 100 Dizziness, 100 Fever and 100 Nausea for 150 TUs

Destruction: Sunder The most powerful basic destruction spell. No extra immunities, beyond creatures immune to all basic spells.
SUNDER_OFFENCE / SUNDER: 100 Bleeding, 100 Bruising, 100 Pain, 100 Impair Function, 100 Cough Blood for 150 TUs.

Ilusion: Rage
RAGE_OFFENCE / RAGE: Adds these tags for 150 TUs to an organic, living enemy: NOT_LIVING, OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, LIKES_FIGHTING, NOEXERT, NOFEAR. The idea is to make him fight with his buddies from the same squad, but an unfortunate side effect is making him more powerful in combat. Give this only to soldiers who frequently fight squads of enemies. Due to very low range and not checking for adjacent enemies, this spell usually just buffs random enemies and is not really worth it in practice. It may be a good idea to just use disorient and skip rage.

Illusion: Disorient In addition to normal immunities for basic spells, Illusion school doesn't work on robots and enemies who can't think.
DISORIENTATION_OFFENSE / DISORIENTATION: Decreases Speed by 10%, Agility, Fosus, Intuition, Spatial and Kinesthethic Sense by 25% and Skill Rolls by 50% for 150 TUs, so in a way this is a weaker version of Bind, but they stack, so it may be worth having both.

Restoration School is an exception in that it's spells target self or a friendly unit, have more range, longer duration and longer cooldowns. There is also no normal / offence versions, so no secondary target.
Restoration: Steadfast Ward (Shield spell)
STEADFAST_WARD: Adds SHIELD_ADEPT and multiplies the strength of materials (of own body?) by 4. Works on the pony casting it for 300 TUs. Alicorns have a much stronger version.
Novice: An enemy must be in LoS, 2 tiles away. 1200 TUs wait period.
Apprentice: An enemy must be in LoS, 6 tiles away. 600 TUs wait period.
Adept: An enemy must be within 10 tiles in LoS, 300 TUs wait period, giving it continuous operation during combats, even with ranged weapons.

Restoration: Healing (Boosts natural regeneration) This is cast on wounded ponies, so it makes sense to give it to CMP and doctors. It can also be good for ponies "in the field" to support their wounded squadmates.
HEALING: Targets a wounded pony, Maxing out her recuperation for 600 TUs and adding 30 numbness for 2500 TUs. It also cleans the target and her wounds.
Novice: Range 2, cooldown 2400
Apprentice: Range 3, cooldown 1200
Adept: Range 4, cooldown 600

ADVANCED SPELLS Adept and Master Only. 
Only Adepts of the correct School and Magic Masters can learn these spells. There is no "Master only" level. Well, technically Time Stop is a Master spell and requires more resources to make then the rest of the Alteration school combined, but Alterations Adepts can learn Time Stop too. Adepts of Restoration and Illusion don't get any extra spells, but can learn the best versions of basic spells in their schools plus T2 versions of all other basic spells. There are no Conjuration spells available to stable ponies, but Conjuration Adepts can learn level 2 of all basic spells.

Alteration: Paralyze (Like Bind, only stronger. Overlaps with it.)
PARALYZE: Lowers the Speed, Skill rolls, Agility and Kinesthethic Sense of the target by 99% for 300 TUs, making it virtually unable to move, attack or dodge. Can be used once per 288 TUs on a target 1 tile away.
PARALYZE_OFFENSE: Works the same, but only when attacking an enemy up to 2 tiles away. The two don't stack, so Paralyze allows to disable two targets.

Alteration: Time dilatation. (Celerity)
This targets the user, greatly increasing her speed, but when it wears off, she is tired for a while and her effectiveness is reduced. enemy must be up to 2 tiles away in LoS ant the wait period is 2400, which means the spell will usually only be cast once per fight. For 100 TUs the caster's Speed, Agility, Spatial and Kinesthethic Sense, Intuition, Skill rolls and material strength (like with shield) are doubled. After that for 120 TUs they (except for material strength) are reduced by 20%.

Alteration, Time Stop. (Ultimate Celerity)
Works similar to Time Dilatation, but the cooldown is 8400 TUs (one weak) and the effect is much stronger. It boosts Speed tenfold and quarduples Skill Rolls, Agility and the rest of attributes listed in Time dilatation. It also increases material strength a hundred times, essentially giving the pony an Alicorn Shield. The effects last for 50 TUs (during which that pony should act every round or two) and after that it reduces Speed, Skill rolls and attributes by 20% for 200 TUs due to being tired and disoriented. Time spells won't be cast together or during their exhaustion periods, so it is very worth it to learn both for the Unicorns who can. Since this works on the pony casting it, no enemy can escape it's effects.

Destruction: Torment (Ten times stronger Pain.)
You get TORMENT with range 1 and TORMENT_OFFENCE with range 2 that target an enemy and are mutually exclusive. Both have a wait period of 4800 TUs and give 1000 pain for 300 TUs. This is the weakest advanced destructions spell, so get it last.

Destruction: Affliction (Ten times stronger Fever)
Two enemies within 1 and 2 tiles, respectively, get 1000 Fever, 1000 Dizziness and 1000 Nausea for 300 TUs. Doesn't work on creatures with NO_FEVERS or NONAUSEA. The cooldown for both spells is 4800.

Destruction: Implosion
Targets two enemies within 1 and 2 tiles with IMPLOSION or IMPLOSION_OFFENSE. The effects are 10000 Bleeding, 10000 Bruising, 10000 Pain, 10000 Impair function, and 10000 Cough Blood for 10 TUs. The wait period is 9600, the longest of all spells. It should insta-kill one or two targets once per combat. Of course it doesn't work on Alicorns, Shield Adepts and the like.

9) Conclusions on the effective use of gems and glass.

Only trade for T2 and perhaps some T3 gems. Maybe also for T1 Alteration and destruction gems. You can safely ignore other T1. Refer to the list a page above to see what's needed for spell research. Forging talismans requires just T2 gems. You'll also need some Clear diamonds for reverse engineering hologems and 2 Clear Diamond Lenses for the Time Stop spell. The best source for high quality gems, including clear diamonds, is rock grinding.

In heavily forested areas it may be best to just make common furniture out of plywood, mechanisms out of bronze (at the forge) and constructions out of concrete and save most rocks for rock grinding.

Finally, in my experience, learning basic spells is best done with a spreadsheet like this to divide Unicorns into schools of magic, one terminal per spell and workshop profiles. Dwarf Therapist can sort ponies "by caste", providing an alphabetic list of Unicorns. Workshop profiles can be sorted alphabetically by pressing <Alt + Shift + N>. The spell to learn should never be set on repeat. While this will make educationg the population less of a pain, the {r}eports menu must still be checked regularly for any ponies who have learnt a spell.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:51:51 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 210