Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 483600 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2850 on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »

Propaganda posters and party items are one of the best parts of this mod. It adds realism. And its fun. Plus it gives you ash that requires an extra step of processing, a mechanic that I really like. It definitely adds to the whole "scavenging from civilization's corpse" feel of the mod. Paperwork would serve the same effect, but it just wouldn't be the same.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:45 pm »

Agreed. So does broken glass, burned out wires, vegetable cans and other crap.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Destyvirago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »

I got the new version up and running correctly. Though it did remind me how much I like and depend on the Phoebus graphic pack. I have pretty much always played DF with the Phoebus graphic pack, so the transition to ASCII is brutal. I think implementing that would be a nice goal for the future.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:03 pm »

> Add a low yield reaction to burn it to ashes to salvage yard, based on the reaction to burn posters:
That's what I meant when I said that it was based on posters.

> My advice: don't be. Take a step back and focus on what's important right now: porting stuff to v0.40.
The raws work for 0.40. Unless what you mean is actually taking advantage of .40 (Discipline, added Personality traits etc)

> in my opinion it could even do without a few things it has (bakery, expeditions, hydroponics farm)
Personally I think the bakery can stay, it's just a little standalone side industry that does not affect things much and allows those who wish to produce higher value food for their citizens.
The expedition is due for a revamp in the Everfree arc. Once we get there, I'll see whether it is so hopeless it has to be removed.
Hydroponics is a little difficult to have a decision on. On one hand, it can be easily be improved by adding other crops (cave wheat, sweet pods) and having a high chance of getting all 5 plants you would normally get from farming normally in addition to a smaller chance of getting additional plants. However, no amount of output is going to beat traditional farming since it is literally possible to have an entire level of farms.

> You have crashes, balance issues, dfhack issues, tree and salvage issues and other things to worry about.
You're right about that. So far, I have not found crashes to be frequent when doing a few test world-gens/embarks. Then again, I have not played a full test-fort, so I may not know. The last time I checked, itemSyndrome was still for .34, so we need to wait for that.
As for tree and salvage issues, I am personally in favour of letting ourselves get spoilt by the sheer amount :P (joke). Seriously though, I think a 1/4 reduction in drop rates from processing salvage should be enough. Normal trees are fine since they allow coal-less forts to have a metal industry.

> For example your combat drugs are more powerful than pipbucks.
I was worried about that. Do the after-effects not balance out their advantage?

> I have another idea for an implant: some sort of built-in armour that permalently adds CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:3 or something // The 3 should be between 2 and 5, I think.
Nice idea, noted down. Thanks.

> Why? They're made of bread, which makes them worse than wooden training weapons.
"Introducing the new baguette sword! The training weapon for wood-starved Stables!" (joke)

> Paperwork would serve the same effect, but it just wouldn't be the same.
I am curious, how?

>  I think implementing that would be a nice goal for the future.
Oopsies forgot about the Phoebus version. Going to update it when I reach home. Meanwhile, is there any feedback/suggestions?

Looking at combat reports, it seems that the turret's new found power has got to do with the new pulping mechanics.

UPDATE: Updated Phoebus version here.
I would not suggest downloading the current versions. There are a couple of useless reactions in there as a result of the crop revamp. Also, I am gonna compress the number of workshops a bit. Do you think moving the sole reaction in the Butter Churn to the Farmer's Workshop is a good idea?

Before you start commenting on not posting uncompleted versions, I only realised this mistake after I had posted the file.

I just read about ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BEST_OPTION from DFWiki. I am going to look through existing reactions tomorrow to see whether any reactions can be made better by the addition of this, but meanwhile if you have an idea, feel free to suggest it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:09:36 am by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: October 15, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »

> I think a 1/4 reduction in drop rates from processing salvage should be enough.
It might be OK if we end up using low quality salvage for furniture, but other things should still be somewhat scarce.

> > For example your combat drugs are more powerful than pipbucks.
> I was worried about that. Do the after-effects not balance out their advantage?
I'm not sure. Maybe it is that Med-X and healing potions aren't that good anyway and pipbucks were rather unimpressive to begin with. I argued about time spells too and Lycaeon buffed at least one of them. Speaking of which, someone should test how time spells affect combat. Do they just buff walking speed, or attack and recover as well?

> > Paperwork would serve the same effect, but it just wouldn't be the same.
> I am curious, how?
I think he meant that paperwork is generic and with posters you can just about imagine what they look like and they help immersion.

> Looking at combat reports, it seems that the turret's new found power has got to do with the new pulping mechanics.
I thought pulping mechanics was already in 0.34, but I don't know, I don't go to evil biomes.

> Do you think moving the sole reaction in the Butter Churn to the Farmer's Workshop is a good idea?
Sure, it does everything from yarn to cheese, so it fits. I'm pretty sure Lycaeon said, he added some worhskops just because most workshops weren't moddable in the previous version.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: October 15, 2014, 02:03:27 pm »

Pulping wasn't in .34 in the sense it is now. I mean yeah, if you hit something enough times it'd eventually die but it'd either be a lucky shot the managed to damage the brain or blood loss that'd do it, unless you chopped them in half. Pulping now is more a matter of "Continue striking until part losses any semblance of structural integrity. Even bone swords can kill provided they get enough damaging shots in, and both maces and hammers can now be carried with true pride knowing they can literally cave in someone's ribcage.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: October 15, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »

So I guess, I've seen pulping in a devlog and thought it was already in 0.34
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: October 16, 2014, 05:45:57 am »

Quick update, for some reason, DF crashes upon fort retirement. Do you have this problem?

Also, apart from adding improved Discipline skill rates to military cutie marks, is there are any other optimisations/improvements you think can be added?

UPDATE: Did some testing in Arena, security batons can now hold their own against ghouls/raiders.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:59:52 am by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: October 16, 2014, 06:09:23 am »

UPDATE: Did some testing in Arena, security batons can now hold their own against ghouls/raiders.

Refreshing, considering how abysmally awful they were before.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: October 16, 2014, 07:27:30 am »

Short list of stuff I hope to complete by tonight:
- Squash bug where celery seeds show up for embark
- Add Discipline skill rates to military cutie marks
- Add sweat/tears and spitting to entity creatures and slaves and bkanks
- Find out if itemSyndrome/autoSyndrome has been updated to .40
I do stuff, I guess

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: October 16, 2014, 12:27:22 pm »

I asked and someone said, that something similar to itemsyndrome is now part of dfhack as "hack/scripts/modtools/item-trigger.lua", but I have no idea how to use it.

I checked Masterwork, but it just seems to add splatter to normal items to give them syndromes:

[INORGANIC:BRONZE_COATING_ARMORY]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_VAPOR_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:Protection from pain, given by the bronze rune][STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:Protection from pain, given by the bronze rune][STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:Protection from pain, given by the bronze rune]
[MELTING_POINT:19000][BOILING_POINT:11905][SOLID_DENSITY:20][MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
    [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:rune]
         [SYN_CONTACT] [SYN_INHALED]
   [SYN_CLASS:DFHACK_ITEM_SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:DWARF:ALL]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:DWARF_INTER]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:DWARF:ALL]
   [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL_CREATURES]
[CE_ADD_TAG:PROB:100:NOPAIN:START:0]

[REACTION:SPATTER_ADD_ARMORY_AMMO_BRONZE]
   [NAME:Engrave bronze runes (nopain)]
   [BUILDING:RUNEARMORY:CUSTOM_B][BUILDING:MAGMA_RUNEARMORY:CUSTOM_B]   [BUILDING:WORKSHOP_DWARF:CUSTOM_NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [REACTION_CLASS:BRONZE_COATING]
   [REAGENT:object:1:ARMOR:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [IMPROVEMENT:800:object:COVERED:INORGANIC:BRONZE_COATING_ARMORY]
-PRODUCT:0:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ANNOUNCEMENT_RUNEARMOR-
   [SKILL:DETAILSTONE] was soapmaker/runesmith[FUEL]
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »

Even though I'm not interested in the show myself, the theme of post-apocalyptic survival drew me in.

I've got the feeling I'm doing things wrong, though. Am I supposed to melt down the crapton of toolboxes/trapcomps I get for metal? How do you get higher-grade salvage material or find crates? I found a broken civilian crate once but that's it, are they just really low salvage rate? And what's this "scrap metal ore" stuff that I'm supposed to be finding but I'm not? Is it a generated "mineral"? I haven't found any minerals or gems yet, the "Equestria" advanced world setting must have minerals set real low.

In the meantime, my fortress isn't doing so well - a pony failed his fey mood and killed one other before being put down by my 1-man army (used to be two but the first one died during the Ghoul Onslaughts of the first couple seasons). Then my legendary miner went stark raving mad, and afterwards the next migrant wave gave me way more ponies than I could deal with, along with a grand total of 28 totally useless foals. At least I'll never run out of food with infinite fishing, but that doesn't really help progress at all.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: October 17, 2014, 01:52:34 am »

Yay a new player!

Salvage in this mod are trees above ground and in the first cavern layer that have decidedly untreelike names like "scrap pile". It sounds like you have only been getting low quality salvage, which most of the time only nets you scrap metal, which is a type of metal ore that can also be found rarely in soil layers. Medium and high quality salvage are the ones which give you most of the crates, but are only found in savage or evil areas or the first cavern layer. Scrap metal ore should be found relatively easily in low quality salvage. As for your low mineral levels, the advanced world-gen option for Mineral Scarcity is defaulted to 2500, which is extremely low. Personally, I set it to 100, but some crazy people like things hard.

> In the meantime, my fortress isn't doing so well - a pony failed his fey mood and killed one other before being put down by my 1-man army
Ponies are way larger than dwarves, so they are deadlier to each other
> along with a grand total of 28 totally useless foals.
Ah, the joys of DF migration.

Just curious, are you using the .34 release postes by Lycaeon on the first page or the buggy .40 alpha I posted a few posts back?

> I asked and someone said, that something similar to itemsyndrome is now part of dfhack as "hack/scripts/modtools/item-trigger.lua", but I have no idea how to use it.
Thanks for asking, I was about to read 76 pages of the DFHack thread.
Reading the code yields little, it calls a lot of DFHack stuff I do not understand.

EDIT: Screw stuff, I am gonna learn how to program DFHack for the fun of it, future updates for the weekend may be a bit sparse.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:47:16 am by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: October 17, 2014, 05:01:05 am »

Just curious, are you using the .34 release postes by Lycaeon on the first page or the buggy .40 alpha I posted a few posts back?
I'm using the .34 version from the first post, which is (hopefully) the latest official version.

As for the scrap metal, I was quite confused because of course I was getting tons of it, yet none of it said "scrap metal ore" and was just named "scrap metal". I was using it to make toolboxes instead, which while that will always give you something made of iron/steel, can't give anything else.

I suppose I'll start a new world with better mineral gen.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:53 am »

> I'm using the .34 version from the first post, which is (hopefully) the latest official version.
It is, the .40 version is still quite buggy and half the features are unavailable due to lack of DFHack.

And, I am such a genius, apparently I convinced myself celery carrot and radish seeds were removed when in fact they were not.

UPDATE: You have got to be freaking kidding me, I scroll through creature_pony.txt, looking for appropriate castes, and why do I see? [SKILL_RATE:DISCIPLINE]. I tellya, Lycaeon is psychic.

Going to figure out DFHack over the weekend, so meanwhile here is an update of the stuff I have done so far for ASCII and Phoebus.
This is probably the last update for now I will make without adding new content/DFHack, so feel free to play with it and give feedback.
Dangit, itemSyndrome is going to be hard to test, even in the old version, it does not activate in Arena Mode. Oh yeah, I also need to check what became of autoSyndrome, test fort time!

EDIT: Next time, google first [And check the readme].

Another update: Looking at the new DFHack command reaction-trigger and item-trigger, it looks like they are going to be used in conjunction with add-syndrome. I think. It would be nice if someone moreo experienced at this sort of thing can give assurance it is the case.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:57:53 am by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 210