Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Scholar - gather all the history of the world  (Read 1056 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Project Scholar - gather all the history of the world
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:00:27 pm »

(or as close as it can get)

So I got this mildly insane idea not-so-long ago - take a huge world, with reasonably long, but unrevealed history - and then discover all of it.
I'm sure this has been done before, even if it didn't end well...
Not that this is going to, either.

Is anyone up for this? ANYONE?

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Scholar - gather all the history of the world
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »

I'll do it! If I can gen on a pocket world... With no civs... Or beasties... Just ocean.

Edit: I missed a bit: only gen to year 2.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:14:43 pm by Dwarfotaur »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »

I'll do it! If I can gen on a pocket world... With no civs... Or beasties... Just ocean.

A good place to start, I guess.
Also, unless I am missing something - add the "Reveal history" option to the normal generation screen, not just advanced generation.
It's pretty annoying from time to ti-who am I kidding, I have never done this before...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »

It's already pretty hard finding and putting together history from reading caravan merchants' stashes :D

I'd imagine doing it from legends mode is more difficult because of how dense it can be. I've never adventured before, so can't speak for there.

The one time I did bothered to look through history of my civ and everyone trading, I found that I've been getting new king/queen every year for more than 100 years at a point, in 31.18 :D

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:59:16 pm »

It doesn't sound as fun as it could potentially be, at least in this release.

Art images aren't that hard, you just have to visit each and every town and check their wall carvings, I think that's the second number of assets -the ones you have to discover- that are given inmediately after genning a world. If you check out some sewings, coins or armor details they're added to the art list, but do not count for the first total.

Now, checking who is who within the world population... I think that's not possible to accomplish. Right now you can't visit any settlement but human ones (and player-made fortresses, but their data is instantly compiled into Legends Mode, as soon as you retire), and having to ask a lot of historic villagers about their siblings is a sketchy process. Sure, you'll enjoy learning first-hand about any given world's insane hijinks (I once met a crossbowman whose cousin was also his uncle) but, what if someone didn't have any notable relatives or died a peaceful death? How can you learn about all the historical dwarves, goblins and elves, their wars and their misdoings, many of which aren't told by the aforementioned human commoners?

It's not that rewarding, but I expect to do it in next releases, even in the forthcoming one.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 04:15:28 am »

It may be posible if you make a fortress in very region of the world and pack it with engravings. Engravings come from four sources:
Generical, fort history, civilization history, and region history. The last is the more common by far, and covers most events of the world,
so with enough art you may compilate most of the history.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability