Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Technical question about in-game art  (Read 835 times)

Porcelain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technical question about in-game art
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:45:12 am »

Is there anything preventing pictures somewhere in the game files being used in-game? for example a picture of a goat in a goat's description (for those of us who do not understand goats) or a more interesting and artistic menu? Or does the format of the game prevent picture files being used in such a way?

(p.s. i know this could possibly be in the modding section, but i'm not actually considering modding it, it's just a random question)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Technical question about in-game art
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:51:36 am »

Yeah, the way game's formatted, you can't put pictures in descriptions.

You can change character set ( IIRC, I've seen custom character sets ) for text or graphic tiles for in-world stuffs. Otherwise I don't see how to change it graphiclly.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:45:31 pm »

If you were diligent, you could try your hand as some ASCII art. Not sure if there's a character limit to the tags in the raws, and adding such an image to every creature would probably add megabytes to every file, and it would be incompatible with most if not all graphic sets, but it might add a distinct flavour to the game.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:49:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure there're a limitation to how many letters can be in the description, I recall seeing some complaints about overly long descriptions cutting off.

Would be better question in mod forum, in either case.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:55:48 pm »

The cutting off has to do with the window size.  I wonder if you could get around this with inserting the CR symbol into the raw description so that you could make multiple line descriptions displayed in game, but without a line break boggering up your raws.