Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: This is a fantastic game but it's time to get with the future!  (Read 10074 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: This is a fantastic game but it's time to get with the future!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 10:36:42 pm »

Woah, missed that. Yeah, do basic research before commenting on a game.

I noticed it but someone else called him out on it.

I happen to recall in skyrim where a dragon had some weird clipping issue upon landing which resulted in an awkward sliding to pete know's where. This destroys games so badly.

My point is, graphics=good is so horribly, horribly false.

Besides, PETA would have a fit over the kittenpults, and the mainstream wouldn't like dwarven childcare.
The idea of PETA learning about dwarf fortress is funnier then FOX news learning about Liberal Crime Squad.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:38:59 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »

Is it funnier than Steven Harper's ridiculous nose?
My wooden badge was delicious.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:38 pm »

I'd pay to see PETA make a parody of Dwarf Fortress. Also, Hey GoombaGeek! How's the dumbass of the year mod doing? After all, that mod is pretty much what would happen to this community, if Dwarf Fortress were to go "Mainstream".
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:45 pm »

I can't figure out how the UP and NOT UP portals interconnect, so completing creature graphics is impossible :(
My wooden badge was delicious.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 12:47:00 am »

Does Toady rely only on DF donations to survive? Pay his bills etc etc
Yes, as far as we are aware this is his only job (He may double on the side as batman or something, But I doubt he would tell us that.)
Okay. Now Toady is officialy Batman for me. Thank you for opening my eyes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 06:36:21 am »

DF is the future of games. For me at least. 3D graphics are already stagnating, just look at this (I know it's not the whole truth):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In 10 years the people will be bored and the companies have to bring some gimmicks like 3D glasses and shit to keep you playing. DF will be still the same then, just deeper as any game there ever was. There is your preferable future... 

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:04 am »

I remember some people once said- we've reached the point that we can relive movies, but interactively, so most mainstream devs are like "what now?".
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 12:19:22 pm »

So yeah, many people are confusing Graphics with Aestethics. Graphics are not important, Aesthetics are. Sure, Aesthetics are largely defined by graphics, but not completely. The point is to use that graphical power for good to enforce the gameplay experience.  For me, the ASCII interface just seems to work, much better than Stonesense or tilesets.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 01:29:19 pm »

Yeah, this explains why so many people voluntarily blind themselves, and just have other people give them vague descriptions of what's going on. 
You crazy imagination loving hipsters... real life is in 3D, so anything attempting "realism" would probably want, at some point, to represent that facet of the real world.

Once again, I'm not saying DF would or should ever be 3D for technical reasons, but come on now...
DF is the future of games. For me at least. 3D graphics are already stagnating, just look at this (I know it's not the whole truth):

In 10 years the people will be bored and the companies have to bring some gimmicks like 3D glasses and shit to keep you playing. DF will be still the same then, just deeper as any game there ever was. There is your preferable future... 

That's just a bunch of elf talk.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »

Yeah, this explains why so many people voluntarily blind themselves, and just have other people give them vague descriptions of what's going on. 
You crazy imagination loving hipsters... real life is in 3D, so anything attempting "realism" would probably want, at some point, to represent that facet of the real world.

Once again, I'm not saying DF would or should ever be 3D for technical reasons, but come on now...

That's just a bunch of elf talk.
Not over the top enough, really.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 09:27:04 am »

What do you mean?

Do you think movies will do away with visuals at some point? Special effects are great and all, but really, if george lucas had just said "And then the planet blew up, and it was all like, KABLOOIE", would that have made Star Wars a better movie?

The problem with those "interactive movie" games is that generally, they aren't great games, nor are they very good movies.  That's not a problem with the visual medium, it's a problem with the writing, and the game itself.  It's not that there's no place for cartoony graphics, or ascii art, but I don't think people are just going to get sick of games that look like real life.

There's enough logical, reasonable arguments as to why 3D graphics will probably never be part of DF, and definately should not be focused on at this point in development, so lets not resort to ridiculous statements like people are making here...  The fact is, the current graphics get the job done, and allow for quicker development, and also allows my computer to actually run the damn game. That's why.  Not because 3D is bad...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:03 am »

When I saw the thread title, I was like, "lets go watch the trolls!"
The community does not seem to want to roast crazz, so no entertainment for me. Darn.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

I think there's some mild roasting going on, but not too much. Really, if Dwarf Fortress had "skyrim" graphics (and honestly, Skyrim's graphics weren't really particularly mind-blowing), it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress anymore. If you made Skyrim have Dwarf Fortress detail, though, I doubt even a supercomputer could run it. Some games focus on graphics. DF focuses on detail, and it excels at it to the point that there's no game in existence that can rival it in that area.

UI, yes. non-isometric 3D, no. (and it's actually 3d already, lol)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »

Yeah, definately way, way too much detail to show, especially in 'skyrim' graphics.

Yes, true enough, the game is 3D, just not the graphics.

I personally wouldn't mind some isometric 3Dish graphics, it would help a lot in visuallizing multi-z level structures and such.  With simple tile based graphics, not even attempting to show details.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 01:31:03 pm »

Yeah, definately way, way too much detail to show, especially in 'skyrim' graphics.

Yes, true enough, the game is 3D, just not the graphics.

I personally wouldn't mind some isometric 3Dish graphics, it would help a lot in visuallizing multi-z level structures and such.  With simple tile based graphics, not even attempting to show details.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Visualize
It's pretty old, way back at 40d, I don't think it's in any of the current versions even 31.xx. I do recall having a lot of issues with it crashing or locking up my fortresses when I tried to use it while I was still on 40d, probably for the better that there're Stonesense now ( as part of DFHack currently ).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5