Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 76048 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »

https://anamnesisgame.blogspot.com/

I first saw this game on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and it's extremely intriguing. It's like... imagine a singleplayer MUD mixed with Warcraft. It's also free! I've been playing it for a bit and it seems very compelling.

Here's details from the website.

The Game

Anamnesis attempts to recreate a Pen and Paper role playing experience in a single player videogame.

The game is driven through narrative and offers at all times a high level of freedom of action.

The elements of the game, such as plot elements, characters and locations, are manually developed, but their selection is randomized for each gameplay to guarantee replayability

In the colony in which the players are dropped, they are free to play a grand role as governors, a humble one as adventurers, or something in between as explorers. Once the game starts, it is solely the player's choice to develop militarily, economically, personally, romantically or in any way he or she chooses.

Features

A different, randomly generated world to explore in every game.

159 different units and locations (and counting).

Player character's gender and sexuality options with optional romantic content.

Adventure on your own or hire units to do the job for you.

Highly documented simulation of colonial early 20th century life, warfare and diplomacy, adding monsters, beastfolk and conjuration to the mixture.

Extensive use of the best graphic rendering tool yet developed, the player's imagination.

The Setting

The game takes place in a fictional cyclic world somewhat inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos, although not directly drawing from them.

In this world, two loose entities known as "The Court of All Humans" and "The Outer Lands' Influence" are battling each other in a cold war. The Court advocates the prolongation of the existing meritocratic, anthropocentric government by an elected aristocracy.  The Influence, on the other hand, is a driving force behind certain individuals that seek the destruction of the meritocracy and the creation of a new society following the dictates of ancient, outer beings.

But these entities' cyclic squabbles are rather diminutive in scope compared to those of the Renascents. These individuals are imperfect immortals that can die of any cause other than age, but immediately reappear elsewhere retaining their eternal aspect, simply erased from non-renascent memories.

The player takes the role of a renascent aristocrat loyal to any of the two allegiances.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »

It looks really good, I hope the dev carrys on with this and I wonder in the choices you make have meaningful outcomes, although I do like the idea that you have different styles you can play.

Has anyone played this yet ? I'm wondering how it plays
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »

Downloading this right now, will give impressions. Looks AWESOME!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »

It looks really good, I hope the dev carrys on with this and I wonder in the choices you make have meaningful outcomes, although I do like the idea that you have different styles you can play.

Has anyone played this yet ? I'm wondering how it plays
Script, this topic got posted like some secs before or after yours. Don't worry about night-browsing :P

And yeah. Posting to follow. Make sure to give good impressions of your feedback guys!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »

I will just stick to posting after 11pm haha :P

I'm really intrigued by it. It sounds something like dominions 3 with the immortal imperfects  and the building up a army Ect....

I would like to see a ranking system later on in like politics or military style or really going for something like the guild where you could own a store and stuff
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:17:21 pm »

Sounds bloody awesome. Downloading when I get home.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:43:28 pm »

Alright, so don't try to do projects when you have any captured units. Creates a crash error and the game needs to close. I figured captured units would be better for project stuff since I don't have to pay them, but nope.

This game is ridiculously obtuse, but I like it. It's very, very hard. Never fight with your leader.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:13:03 pm »

Hrm.  The fonts are hard to read on my screen.  :(  Maybe I'll try it again later.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:26:23 pm »

It's really hard to read for me too. I presevered though.

I noticed you can't actually die. I haven't "lost" yet either. Actually, I spend most of the time wondering what's going on. Like, in a good way. I'm very curious what's going on but I'm mostly just randomly pressing buttons.

I realized after awhile that your characters actually have stats. I believe resistance, intelligence, agility... or something or rather. And your stats influence... things. Yeah, I have no clue what's going on.

I also managed to somehow romance a tall arena fan as a lesbian person thing (I don't even know really) but I don't know what happens after that. It says she's waiting for me every time I visit the arena though. And there's a bunch of crisis situations marked by the !!! where the game tells me bad things will happen if I don't deal with them. But I have no idea how.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »

Very interesting, the concept has lot of potentials.
Got my guy killed (and reborn) by ... mosquitoes.

Oh the memory of the DF "mosquitoes hell" bug of a previous DF release :D

Anyways, the font is indeed not very clear to read and could use a better font.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:08:28 pm »

The premise sounds good, but there are many things in the game that as of now are unexplained. For instance, I just learned that this renascent thing means that your character doesn't actually die if defeated in combat, unless he loses his final stronghold
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »

Adding insult to injury

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

The premise sounds good, but there are many things in the game that as of now are unexplained. For instance, I just learned that this renascent thing means that your character doesn't actually die if defeated in combat, unless he loses his final stronghold
Oooooooooooooohhhhhh...

Well that explains it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

There's alot of unexplained lore and such, but it's a very unique setting [Industrial-ish steampunk post-apocalypse sorta] so, well, everything will take a bit to learn. Especially races and units, I can go through the menus if people want labels for stuff I suppose, I get the gist of the information, I just don't know how it affects things yet. Except intelligence; that's required for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and Resistance, which affects how quickly units can build for some reason, even though it's talked as a 'defence' type stat in the description.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:36:13 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »

I feel hilariously powerless. Haven't tried playing as a governor yet, but as an explorer and adventurer I just have to hope not to get into any combat situations or else my meager forces end up dead. I end up running out of merit and money, unable to acquire locations via expeditions because everyone is too weak. Is there something I'm missing? I haven't tried sending envoys yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27