Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 76732 times)

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2020, 04:49:44 pm »

Awesome, brightens my outlook for the lock down beginning tomorrow. Thank you very much for that game!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 17, 2020, 05:31:37 am »

So yeah, I think the inability to become Ruthless was just a fluke, not a bug.

The new outcast thing about getting stuck into territories is a nice feature. I just think maybe the required action, such as working in the turbines, should be always available? Right now especially the Rotten Heart is very bad, since being there gives you weariness and the condition you get from overflow increases tension. So bad luck with rolls there can ruin your run, especially since the Rotten Heart syndrome is very hard to get rid of.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 17, 2020, 12:25:34 pm »

I pretty much killed twenty people in the gazebo as an outcast (using kill an enemy -option several times in a row), but never became Ruthless. Actually never become anything other than unknown at all.

Looking into it, I see the gazebo murders do not trigger a reputation perception change. Seeing that and some of the flavour text I get the feeling that past me did that on purpose going on with the whole gazebo forgetting theme. Also there are no witnesses so it kind of makes sense to keep it that way.

The new outcast thing about getting stuck into territories is a nice feature. I just think maybe the required action, such as working in the turbines, should be always available? Right now especially the Rotten Heart is very bad, since being there gives you weariness and the condition you get from overflow increases tension. So bad luck with rolls there can ruin your run, especially since the Rotten Heart syndrome is very hard to get rid of.

Also looked into this. Rotten Heart Syndrome was just brutal, even by my standards! I significantly toned it down and will probably increase the availability of escaping actions as a whole, but if I make any available 100% of the time it'd only be some of them, mostly those concerning forced labour like this one. I'd rather just add more options with positive outcomes first.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any more feedback you guys might have about dubiously balanced things like these that might feel abusive or weird. I feel bad saying this because it's kind of like asking you to work for free but it's basically impossible for a single person to spot them all given how the game works.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 17, 2020, 02:21:11 pm »

I think imprisonment and forced labor and whatnot taking multiple turns is completely fine, what I meant is the action moving the timer forward not being available automatically. I think we should get a choice whether we move the clock forwards or dick around collecting loot or whatnot instead with each action. You could even increase the length of imprisonment turns, but make the option of moving it forward always available? Plus maybe some risky actions which might provide different results but cause additional trouble - or give rewards?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 17, 2020, 10:09:42 pm »

Anyway, I'd love to hear any more feedback you guys might have about dubiously balanced things like these that might feel abusive or weird. I feel bad saying this because it's kind of like asking you to work for free but it's basically impossible for a single person to spot them all given how the game works.

Nothing to feel bad about, its called playtesting, a perfectly normal acknowledgement of the (free) contribution of those who play games.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:54 am »

I think imprisonment and forced labor and whatnot taking multiple turns is completely fine, what I meant is the action moving the timer forward not being available automatically. I think we should get a choice whether we move the clock forwards or dick around collecting loot or whatnot instead with each action. You could even increase the length of imprisonment turns, but make the option of moving it forward always available? Plus maybe some risky actions which might provide different results but cause additional trouble - or give rewards?

I like that idea! Sounds like it could be fun to implement not only for imprisonments but general preparedness as well, using the confidence, defences and stuff you gain in each territory as another resource to manage and trade in various ways, even opening access to new actions.

See this is what I love about not having a strict roadmap, we set up to try to protect outcasts from unfair attacks and end up implementing prison life and barter.

Nothing to feel bad about, its called playtesting, a perfectly normal acknowledgement of the (free) contribution of those who play games.

I can't promise I'll stop feeling bad about it, but I will try to. It's one of these weird deep beliefs you're not sure where they come from.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 19, 2020, 05:55:35 pm »

I had an idea about Outcasts:
Conditional surrender to opposing force.

Requirement: Local Tension 100 or higher (otherwise the locals don't care enough about your dispute to mediate it and enforce any agreement)
It allows the Outcast to contact the opposition and negotiate for House Arrest in a territory, with a small number of options being made available.  The player gives up on advancing any further, essentially giving up on confronting the opposition without giving up their run.  If the player gets enough Arkke to buy a settlement, they instead buy a house and retire for the cycle, allowing them to start the next cycle as an Adventurer.  They also have time to woo whomever might be in the area, if there is anyone.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2020, 11:24:42 am »

I could see something like that working but once there are personified nemeses with which to negotiate rather than a nebulous enemy force like we get now.

There should also be more flavour content first to make giving up on the relic and living a quiet life more interesting and varied. I feel like it would probably get boring to just stay for an indefinite amount of time in a single place right now.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 24, 2020, 12:44:19 pm »

Hey look, a holidays Anamnesis release. How quaint is that?

Outcasts can now use preparedness and such as a resource in more interesting ways and while you can't quite negotiate a conditional surrender yet you can get pretty similar results choosing to exile yourself voluntarily in any territory.

Also hopefully no more lawyers picking fights with destroyers.

Change Log:

* Expanded Preparedness and Captivity: Each territory will have 2 additional actions exclusive for outcasts. One allows them to spend preparedness or add weeks of work, usually for short term gains, while the other will be available when this accumulated value reaches a certain threshold, usually providing more steady benefits without extra costs.
* Players can now choose to temporarily leave their homebase behind and become outcast in a territory of their choice from the "Other actions" menu option, formerly known as "Abilities". This will cost them 1 Merit but lower Local Tension by 20 and later allow them to return to their homebases and keep other resources.
* Enemy and allied units will now be either Elusive, Aggressive or Berserk. According to this behaviour and other variables such as Size or Terror differences and unfavourable environments and visibility, most units will exercise common sense and avoid hopeless confrontations. If this happens, Local Tension will also drop slightly.
* Added 2 new units.
* Fixed bonded renascents supposed to just  halve Local Tension increases setting them to 0 instead and a few minor display issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 25, 2020, 10:06:09 am »

Change Log:
* Players can now choose to temporarily leave their homebase behind and become outcast in a territory of their choice from the "Other actions" menu option, formerly known as "Abilities". This will cost them 1 Merit but lower Local Tension by 20 and later allow them to return to their homebases and keep other resources.

Great!  That solves the whole "poor Adventurer just waiting to get bumped back to Outcast" situation that is quite common either when starting as Adventurer or just barely making it out of Outcast.  The idea of going on the run to reduce heat on your safehouse(s) is pretty cool.

Seriously, that feature alone makes this worth checking out again!

The transition from Outcast to settled seems bugged.  The dialog ran a few times, said I was still Outcast for not being able to afford a house, then when the screen changed to being settled, I tried to save and quit, and the game instead crashed and failed to save my progress.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 25, 2020, 02:12:45 pm »

The transition from Outcast to settled seems bugged.  The dialog ran a few times, said I was still Outcast for not being able to afford a house, then when the screen changed to being settled, I tried to save and quit, and the game instead crashed and failed to save my progress.

Looking into it, I found and seem to have fixed an insidious little bug that escaped me during testing because it only happened one out of 16 times when leaving a territory, causing an infinite loop that made the game unresponsive before being given the chance to settle or wander more after the player voluntarily becomes an outcast. It could be the underlying cause of what you said but I couldn't find the repeated dialog nor crash the game afterwards in any way.

The fixed version is uploaded now but I can't tell for sure if that fixed your problem completely.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 25, 2020, 06:36:43 pm »

Looking into it, I found and seem to have fixed an insidious little bug that escaped me during testing because it only happened one out of 16 times when leaving a territory, causing an infinite loop that made the game unresponsive before being given the chance to settle or wander more after the player voluntarily becomes an outcast. It could be the underlying cause of what you said but I couldn't find the repeated dialog nor crash the game afterwards in any way.

The fixed version is uploaded now but I can't tell for sure if that fixed your problem completely.

Sounds like you fixed it, since I was guessing the problem related to what you are talking about.

I was successfully able to convert from Outcast to Adventurer.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 26, 2021, 10:56:39 am »

Recently finished prettifying the game a bit, now I'm barely even ashamed of showing it.

The other big change is 4 new renascents, and I went out of my way to make some of them as annoying as possible, so if you want something truly game-changing you might want to wait for another release.

Change Log:

* Switched to a 16:9 ratio and changed the different screens accordingly.
* Made the tittle screen more depressing.
* Added 4 new Renascents.
* The main .exe file in the Windows build has 64 bit architecture now. If you are operating a (very) old Windows device incompatible with this, you should still be able to run "Anamnesis-32.exe" normally. The builds for other operating systems should work fine.
* Lovers can now still ask for dates and the like even when you are raising children, but progressively less often the more you have.
* Enemy emplacements and activity causing a territory's weariness to increase generally have stronger effects now.
* Fixed some bugs like a few trades not working properly, latest actions not being displayed properly, and society remaining collapsed for a few weeks after the end of a cycle.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 26, 2021, 02:08:39 pm »

window 10's own Defender detect the Anamnesis-32.exe as a "Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml" and will delete it

For VirusTotal only 9 out of 70 detect it as a threat :
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/425ff93a61a18d8d850a5a28aae2cd7cb270a87c704c37d68cdcbb17938cb0ab/detection

the 64bits version of Anamnesis.exe does not have such problem fortunately, Defender say nothing and VirusTotal all think its clean
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/de19f65144681152dc4f002218fa3b7b32b63465fd0ec9e1ea30688a4d09878c/detection

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 26, 2021, 03:47:03 pm »

window 10's own Defender detect the Anamnesis-32.exe as a "Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml" and will delete it

For VirusTotal only 9 out of 70 detect it as a threat :
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/425ff93a61a18d8d850a5a28aae2cd7cb270a87c704c37d68cdcbb17938cb0ab/detection

the 64bits version of Anamnesis.exe does not have such problem fortunately, Defender say nothing and VirusTotal all think its clean
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/de19f65144681152dc4f002218fa3b7b32b63465fd0ec9e1ea30688a4d09878c/detection

Thanks for letting me know, I manually removed the 32bit .exe from the Windows builds, it really isn't necessary for the game to run on newer systems.

I've been looking into it and it seems to be a common problem other Ren'Py users are having with the newest version of the engine.

Here, might make you feel a bit more at ease:
https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61332
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27