Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 76693 times)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2017, 10:53:22 am »

Perhaps in the future our actions can affect them. So that, say, if you scam lots of investors with Sven mine, it could have some follow-up events. Likewise, maybe we could change the social context with major actions.

A system to allow delayed effects and consequences for actions and such is definitively somewhere in the to-do list. I'll eventually get to something like that at some point.

A little balance notice - it is easy to get stuck in a tension increase circle. Let's say you get your tension up at 60, then get an enemy visit at your base. You defeat the enemy - that increases the tension. That causes more attacks and if you defeat them, more increases in tension... There should be ways to deflate tension, more ways than just meditation request to factions. They can be expensive and hard ways, but just having more options would be nice.

There is also the option to send an expedition into enemy territories to punish the population, though it can easily turn out to be a hamfisted approach.

Still, you are right that a player can be left without options if they control all territories and there are no lobbies capable to mediate. Options such as feyfolk and certain territory actions and afflictions are too unreliable. I guess it's worth some thought.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2017, 11:13:56 am »

I'd suggest ways to spend outrageous amounts of Arkhe and/or Merit for reducing tension, in a way that can leave you in debt.

I found a bug, do I get a cookie? I'm pretty sure that the things that are supposed to earn you Arkhe in Weak Country instead take Arkhe away from you. This happened as an outcast, don't know if it applies only as one.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2017, 04:56:18 pm »

I can't see anything wrong with the events at Weak Country. Bartering with beastfolk for stuff they "come about" tended to yield negative results a little too often but that was kind of the point, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Incidentally, I guess that's another kind of situation in which things would be clearer with delayed action effects and continuation events, so feel free to go ahead and help yourself to the cookie jar.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:44 am »

Weird, I'm certain other things such as exploiting refugees and being a vigilante said they gave me Arkhe, but when I was leaving the territory I had negative Arkhe. Maybe something else happened.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2017, 01:28:30 pm »

There is something wrong with Arkhe generation, but it doesn't have to do with Weak Country. When playing as outcast, I occasionally bleed Arkhe. I tried to isolate it and it is not actions themselves; those add Arkhe okay. Rather, the bleeding happens when the week changes. I think it is a social context that is doing that. I suspect it might be the Vigilante context, but it could be something else. I've managed to play with other contexts okay, but some of them causes that Arkhe bleeding.

Second bug I've found is that seeking investments crashes the game.

Third bug is that after collecting the Fey Letter and trying to embark to a new era (after ending the world), the game crashes.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »

There is something wrong with Arkhe generation, but it doesn't have to do with Weak Country. When playing as outcast, I occasionally bleed Arkhe. I tried to isolate it and it is not actions themselves; those add Arkhe okay. Rather, the bleeding happens when the week changes. I think it is a social context that is doing that. I suspect it might be the Vigilante context, but it could be something else. I've managed to play with other contexts okay, but some of them causes that Arkhe bleeding.

Now it's starting to sound as if you got too close to a parasitic feyfolk or got tricked by a deceiver one. I did go ahead and made those feyfolk that feed on Arkhe a little fairer on outcasts, but otherwise social contexts and such seem to be fine.

Second bug I've found is that seeking investments crashes the game.

Fixed for the next bugfix.

Third bug is that after collecting the Fey Letter and trying to embark to a new era (after ending the world), the game crashes.

I can't get this one to happen on my own so it must be something other than the Fey Letter. You should get an option at the bottom of the screen to copy the error message and a traceback.txt when the game crashes like that. If you could copy those messages they could probably be a great help.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:40 pm »

Unfortunately I don't have the save anymore; I don't know if it was caused by the Fey Letter itself as I haven't made other games to the embarking a new age -state yet. I'll save the error if it pops up again.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2017, 01:04:20 pm »

The fixes are up.

There is now also a message in the feyfolk information screen telling players if any of them are causing abnormal behaviour so that in the future we can be surer if things such as Arkhe drains are bugs or the consequence of meddling with unknown forces.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2017, 07:42:05 pm »

Stupid question: is there an Android release?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:58 am »

Stupid question: is there an Android release?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The engine allows porting games to Android but with limited compatibility, especially when it comes to older games like this. It'd basically be like developing 2 games at once, only really worth it once I run out of new features and the updates become mostly content-based.

However, this might actually never happen, so it's easier to just answer no.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »

Here is the crash message for embarking to a new world after winning through a relic. I had to cut off some lines because maximum message length is 40 000 characters. :D But they were more of the same.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:00 am »

Yeah, the snipped lines were unimportant. This is the important part in your case, right at the end:

Exception: Possible infinite loop.

The good news is that you can just click "Ignore" at the bottom when you are show those and continue playing without consequences. It just means that the engine has seen some lines repeated too often, for example when trying not to pick the same territory or lobby twice, and decided to give players the option to quit so they don't have to do something more drastic.

I've added some lines to tell the game to further delay the display of those messages during world generation between cycles in the future.

The bad (but also good) news is that I'm in the middle of adding a couple of features at this point so you'll probably get those messages until the next release.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2017, 11:57:31 am »

Ignore didn't actually work, the game crashed at that point. Like became unresponsive crashed.

I don't think this is really critical though, as I think people are fine just starting a new game after conquering the world once.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2017, 03:59:31 pm »

Then I'm afraid officially stumped. The part in which the exception was triggered is common to defeats and should in theory behave just like them.

I'll make sure to keep an eye on that during testing.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2018, 10:03:15 am »

I'm going to go ahead despite the ominous red warning to reconsider posting despite the lack of posts in the previous 120 days in this topic and let you know that a new release is up.

Normally, it should have more content after so much time, but you know, real life and whatnot.

Change Log:

* Rumours and Secrets: Territories can show rumours concerning up to 4 hidden actions each when you visit them. Performing normal actions related to these rumours, such as exploring caves in which strange noises can be heard, can lead to the discovery and opening of these secret actions for the player. Which ones of these secrets are true or false varies from one game to another.
* Opportunistic Aristocrats: Some aristocrats might approach you during moments of need offering to help. Accepting their help will allow them to make sometimes unreasonable requests from you in exchange. These requests are shown as "Impositions" in the "Current Affairs" screen and these aristocrats are costly to get rid of, unless they happen to die somehow.
* Flavour child-related events for each potential lover will now occasionally show up after deciding to raise a child with them.
* Performance improvements due to engine updates.
* 4 new social contexts.
* 1 new relic.
* Some minor bug fixes and tweaks.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27