Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 76043 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2021, 10:46:58 pm »

I liked the story about the swallows and the magic tree.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 03, 2021, 11:05:54 am »

I put together another release last week, you probably already know where to find it.

I meant to tell you sooner but then I learned with 3 whole days in advance that I'll have to move to another city for work for at least a month and I've been running in circles with little purpose or direction ever since.

Change Log:

* 432 new events through which lobbies modify the game more directly, 12 each, available when visiting territories that meet the new, appropriate conditions. Among other things these bring more variety and allow players to earn or lose favours and slightly affect the lobby's power. The more powerful the lobby, the more often these events will show up.
* 64 new moods and phases for renascents, 2 each.
* Units should be smarter during combat and shouldn't change range when this would be to their detriment. Combat can now move to long range on its own.
* Any base larger than an shelter/refuge will now lower your Weariness and that of your units faster. The larger the better.
* Lobbies conquering a territory will now leave their unit guarding said territory and get a new one, opening new strategic options and preventing the duplication of renascents.
* Dismissing even long time partners and lovers won't increase Local Tension more than 60 as an upper limit.
* Some feyfolk can now react to changes in the perceived character of the player and grant a new power.
* 2 new social contexts.
* Fixed a bunch of bugs and dubious text. Most notably a rare bug that caused some renascents to improperly bond to the player without warning.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:13 pm »

I put together another release last week, you probably already know where to find it.

I meant to tell you sooner but then I learned with 3 whole days in advance that I'll have to move to another city for work for at least a month and I've been running in circles with little purpose or direction ever since.

Change Log:

* 432 new events through which lobbies modify the game more directly, 12 each, available when visiting territories that meet the new, appropriate conditions. Among other things these bring more variety and allow players to earn or lose favours and slightly affect the lobby's power. The more powerful the lobby, the more often these events will show up.
* 64 new moods and phases for renascents, 2 each.
* Units should be smarter during combat and shouldn't change range when this would be to their detriment. Combat can now move to long range on its own.
* Any base larger than an shelter/refuge will now lower your Weariness and that of your units faster. The larger the better.
* Lobbies conquering a territory will now leave their unit guarding said territory and get a new one, opening new strategic options and preventing the duplication of renascents.
* Dismissing even long time partners and lovers won't increase Local Tension more than 60 as an upper limit.
* Some feyfolk can now react to changes in the perceived character of the player and grant a new power.
* 2 new social contexts.
* Fixed a bunch of bugs and dubious text. Most notably a rare bug that caused some renascents to improperly bond to the player without warning.

Dang Vaccean, am in the process of moving myself and depending on your location it can be really rough finding a place. good luck!

I keep trying to introduce this game to my friends, and I think I need a simple phrase to describe it but I can't really come up with one, with the game being as unique as it is. "Provincial Politics Simulator w/ Character Driven Narrative and you can Die also" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. any ideas?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 03, 2021, 01:19:55 pm »

I keep trying to introduce this game to my friends, and I think I need a simple phrase to describe it but I can't really come up with one, with the game being as unique as it is. "Provincial Politics Simulator w/ Character Driven Narrative and you can Die also" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. any ideas?

I really wish I knew, but I've been having the very same problem myself, could never get a single acquaintance of mine to properly try the game in 12 years.

The closest thing I have is the sub-header of "A text-based simulation and role playing game of exploration, warfare, intrigue and romance in a low fantasy, early 20th century environment", but it doesn't seem to have done a great job so far at getting people to play the game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 03, 2021, 02:07:01 pm »

Hm, Adventure and Strategy would actually be more accurate.  Adventure game describes the explorations.  Strategy describes the overall game.

Thanks for the update Vaccean!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 15, 2022, 05:29:07 pm »

Just a note that the game is still under development: https://anamnesisgame.blogspot.com/

I have to say, I'm loving Feelias.  He has a tendency to "fail in reverse".  Which is to say, he frequently screws things up to your side's advantage.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2022, 09:36:27 am »

Just a note that the game is still under development: https://anamnesisgame.blogspot.com/

I have to say, I'm loving Feelias.  He has a tendency to "fail in reverse".  Which is to say, he frequently screws things up to your side's advantage.

I like to give every character at least some redeeming qualities, even if finding them takes quite a bit of digging.

Feelias keeps being mentioned more often than I anticipated for both the good and the bad though. I would have guessed other characters would have caused a stronger impression than the humble little guy.

Anyway, it's really nice knowing people still remember the game. I didn't announce the previous release because it didn't feel big enough, but I'll let you know when the next one with the player character skills and personalities is ready.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 30, 2022, 05:28:42 am »

I still remember it, still don't play it, and it is still hilarious and confusing.

Firing practice.  :D Wonder how cave hasn't collapsed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Started as outcast as usual, wandered into Golden Tusk Distillery. One week of working as booze seller was somehow enough to fully learn three of location's secrets,  :o (a glitch, perhaps?) among them is that i could win a lottery for lifetime supply of booze, which i did (and apparently immideately converted it in a ton of money).
Then i bought myself a shack and found out that if you buy yourself a shack, you are immideately put in charge of defending Colony from invading force, all by yourself.  >:( Nani the fucc...
Hiding offensively.  >:(
Another bug. Those "-"'s are options without effect.
Straight razors deal more damage than cannons, apparently.
Local faunae.  :D
Beaches are cheap around there.
Consuming a landship, yeah. Reminds me of Elona.

First win (from outcast) was rather anticlimactic. Looked like gaining deep negative weariness from blackmailing aristocrat turns you into the baddest ass to ever live (or i somehow got entirely too much stats without noticing it). As long as i had it, i won at every single stat check even if it said "you don't believe you have a chance", dealt 100-200 damage per attack with a carbine, winning every fight, and stalwart army retreated from my overwhelming badassery every time. So i just gathered all pieces of supercomputer without opposition and won the game. Building up the house? Recruiting people? Gaining moneys? Making love potions? Nay.  >:(
Best shot i had, i think. Also it was the first time i seen civilian casualties.
And another bug.  :-\
Such fighting, much destruction.
Stalwart Army "relocating".  ::) Apparently, "All Fronts" is a distinct place.

Lol. Stalwart army just destroyed whole Colony trying to kill my (well, burrowed with a lot of favors) Kitten Spider Swarm, which does no damage. Only booze remained. My and Golden Tusk's. Then i realised that it can't be picked as a battlefield because i try to extract arkhe from it. The moment i stopped, it turned into a wasteland, finishing the game.

Does population still get tracked after "society has collapsed"? Events killing few people at at time still popped up, i wonder if you can be the last one to die live. Even though last location will still be entirely available...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 01:27:57 pm by MCreeper »

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 01, 2022, 09:59:23 am »

Does population still get tracked after "society has collapsed"? Events killing few people at at time still popped up, i wonder if you can be the last one to die live. Even though last location will still be entirely available...

Population is still tracked, there is just no society to keep records of whatever scattered survivors remain hunkered down.

It's great to see people sharing their game experiences as feedback like this is great to make improvements. The mentioned bugs should be fixed for the next release and I'll keep the rest of the feedback in mind to try to balance and address some of the most egregious and immersion-breaking wackiness by then too.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 01, 2022, 08:22:04 pm »

I'm liking the new menu background. first playthrough in a while, still somewhat unsure how to be effective as a simple adventurer.

love the variety in location, setting, and character. This game is really inspiring if you are writing for, say, a tabletop rpg. so many ideas are presented in various interesting configurations, that it proves rewarding to read every word.

at first I was concerned but then, corgi:

Apparently the A.I. characters get into fights? I had no idea this was a thing, and then saw this oddly hilarious encounter between a lawyer and a traveling sniper.

finally, this syntax appears bugged, or is a typo,

reading "scramming with fright from any screaming colonist".

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2022, 12:33:11 pm »

love the variety in location, setting, and character. This game is really inspiring if you are writing for, say, a tabletop rpg. so many ideas are presented in various interesting configurations, that it proves rewarding to read every word.

Funny you should mention that, the whole game exists as a tool to scramble and rearrange random thoughts and ideas so I can be my own game master.

finally, this syntax appears bugged, or is a typo,

reading "scramming with fright from any screaming colonist".

Yeah, that nonsense is really old text from when I had a weaker grasp on English, pieces of it continue to seep through every now and then. Thanks for letting me know though, it's changed for the next version.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2022, 10:19:49 pm »

PTW !

and also...
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 09, 2023, 02:55:33 am »

New version was released on february 19, and I didn't even notice. Stumbled upon few evil bugs in it:
At one time i wasn't able to buy a house as an outcast. Game just took the money and offered purchase again. It unglitched itself only on cycle reset.
With fencing peculiarity there is sometimes an option to buy a rapier. Game says that it costs 0 arkhe, but actually both buying it and not buying it cost about 70.
Not sure what of this is a bug and what is luck\misunderstanding. One of the feyfolk started the game already bound to me. It's benefit is "Acclaimed Status, which activates for 7 weeks after contact". No idea if and how else one can get Acclaimed Status, but it stayed with me for the entire cycle and beyond... because that same fayfolk did as well.

Some typos, in case dev still checks this thread:
"In the hands, not in the hands."
Cutter livestock
Its instead of it's, and instead of an.
With her smug.
Even-even.
Being with.
Oppposing.
Initial inversion.
Empty option bug is still around.
Somewhat odd wording.
Text sliding on top of itself.
Missing name?
Stripped fur.

I finally realised that Local Tensity doesn't go up at all if you don't control any territories, so post-outcast game has become much less frustrating for me. Messing around and exploring peacefully now. Wonder if one can actually build own plane with respective peculiarity. Actions for it imply that one can, but show up pretty rarely.
EDIT:
Gelss!  >:(
Oil field lover is a slime girl. Rarely allows to touch herself, though.
Incredibly precise numbers of "affected wealth" always crack me up.
One of effects of empress being clean freak.
Week 649. Finally managed to build a plane. And it is a piece of crap.  >:(
My stats by that time and highest damage in one hit:
And the cost of overthrowing govts raised appropriately.  ::) Should one start doing it from get-go, then raise stats through sheer persistence in consuming terrors from the deep?
EDIT2: Hah, at the start of the next circle cost reached 1.7535e+06. Why is this happening?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:37:41 am by MCreeper »

Bloodwarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • im themysteriousgamer on youtube
    • View Profile
    • themysteriousgamer
« Reply #388 on: April 10, 2023, 01:33:51 am »

Oh I forgot about this game

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2023, 10:04:58 am »

Some typos, in case dev still checks this thread:

I check every now and then around releases. I think I fixed all the typos and bugs mentioned in this post with today's release. Thanks for letting me know.

Also:

My stats by that time and highest damage in one hit:

You're better at this game than I am.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27