Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Touhou Play-by-post RPG: Indefinite hiatus  (Read 23237 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Touhou Play-by-post RPG: Indefinite hiatus
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:47:18 pm »

Current status: It's begun! See below.

Detailed status: We are now at 'full speed', whatever full speed for a play-by-post RPG actually is, that is. If you could, please make sure you're up-to-date with the thread if you're playing.

If you are interested in joining the other PCs, you should PM me. You might not get in right away though, or I may also use your character as an NPC (with your permission). However, if you want to be a PC, you may be waiting for a while at this point...

• What’s this thread about?

Have you ever wanted to decimate hordes of enemies with barrage upon barrage of deadly magical bullets, but found that 1. Magic isn’t real and/or 2. You can’t play shooter games? Then perhaps this thread is for you.
    Touhou RPG – Tale of Phantasmal Land, is an adaptation of the Touhou setting and gameplay into a tabletop RPG format, designed by a person known as Bahamut. Bahamut is currently working on a different project (a small TTRPG known as Treasure Hunters, apparently soon to be part of Fun Tyrant games), but someday intends to come back to this project. As such, the game is in a partially finished state, which I will attempt to rectify myself (much to the chagrin of game balance).

• What do I need to do?

To participate in the game, you must create a character. In the world of Gensokyo – Touhou’s setting – crazy things – incidents – happen on a regular basis. If you were to somehow get wrapped up in one… well, you might end up a hero! Thus, you should view your character as a ‘hero in training’, although you have significant leeway in that. However, to become the greatest hero… you must also get more of the glory than your partners – either by getting more points, or by convincing others (both in and out of the game) of your greatness…
    You cannot finalize your character without gamemaster input – that would be me. Unfortunately I haven’t gamemastered before so I could make many amateur mistakes. Hopefully that won’t happen. Please be patient with me… Note: if I really like your character but we have a full party or your character would severely clash with the rest of the party, I may ask your permission to put your character in as an NPC. Otherwise, we can talk about waiting lists.
    Moreover, your character will probably have some traits that are best kept secret from other players. Thus, do not post your character information in the thread or you will be disqualified.

Posting in this thread is not enough to guarantee a spot, but it will help your chances. See the quick character creation guide below for more details.

• What will happen?

Expect to get involved in an incident and attempt to resolve it through any means necessary. You will likely encounter a group of individuals also inclined to resolve said incident, and work together. However, you will need to compete amongst yourselves (in a more-meta, less-in-game way) to make sure you walk away looking the best out of all your friends.
    As to what the first incident will be, I have something planned, but I shouldn’t give away too much. You will find out as part of your introduction to the game, if you get in.
    You should expect combat and some skill challenges throughout. You could hypothetically brute force your way through any incident, but there may be more efficient ways to advance your goals…

• How do we play?

Gameplay rules are described in the rulebook. We will be operating with a play-by-post system. I will be making all rolls myself using dice I have on hand. You just need to tell me what you want to do when it’s your round (i.e. what rolls I should be making for you) or turn to act during combat situations, and during noncombat situations you should describe what you're character's up to (e.g. "I go here", that sort of thing) - I'll post special rules if there are any, but in general if I leave you guys alone, just give me a short update what you want to do and I'll make it happen - either in a group if everyone agrees, or individually if not...
    You will be expected to follow the thread so that you keep your character’s orders up-to-date. If you have not posted within 72 hours of one of my updates during a combat situation (which will encompass one complete turn) I will make a decision for your character on my own. Otherwise, for non-combat situations, the time will vary, but never be longer than 72 hours.
    Some information will be shared publically with the thread – anything that any character could notice or hear will be shared in this way. If one character has specific information (e.g. telepathy or somesuch) that information will be shared via private messages to that player. They can then share that information either in the thread or with other players via PMs – basically, I can’t stop metagaming, but I can make sure that the initial information is given in a way that makes sense.

• Are there any gimmicks?

The main gimmick of this game is Fandom Points, or Faith Points, depending on what you prefer. Basically, in Gensokyo – the setting of Touhou – things that no one believes in end up there, and the power of belief and faith is a real power. Thus in this game, accumulating FP means getting more power. You can get FP by acting in character, being a badass, or pandering to the masses.
    Touhou has three main gimmicks that might transfer over here… 1. Most characters are females of various origins and ages. 2. The art is usually really bad. 3. The music is usually really good.
    There is a Touhou trait that has become a gimmick – your character should be readily identifiable from only a headshot. I am not expecting you to draw anything, but if your character has unique hair, hair style, and/or hat, that is good. Otherwise, I reserve the right to 1. Give you an (in?)appropriate hat somewhere along the way or 2. Give you one less life to start with at the beginning of an incident.
    Finally, the last combat gimmick draws from both: Half of combat is looking cool. Thus, giving me an awesome description for your attacks will get you a bonus.

THREAD RULES
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quick character creation guide

FAQS

FIXES AND KLUDGES – You have my permission to break the game with these if they're obviously broken. But also expect me to try and figure out to fix them for the future.

Useful posts
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:06:18 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Touhou Play-by-post RPG: Highly Responsive to Role-Players! Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:14:29 pm »

Actually, what the heck. I'm game. Not even afraid to say Touhou has an awesome setting. Give me tonight to stat up a character and I'll PM the details as requested. I can draw a little, too :P

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »

Dramatis Personae

PCs
  • Hakyou Hantsuki - Spiteful Broken Mirror - HailFire

Hakyou appears to be a short, scrawny, and battered looking human. Her worn straw hat - decorated with a silver half-circle - only barely covers her messy black hair and a silver-pink eye on the right, which easily blends with her pupil. On the left side of her face, there are only bandages and scars. Her left arm is similar missing and bandaged. Bandages also cover parts of her right arm, and her legs - although covered by worn leather pants, some bandages are visible through rips and tears. Her chest is wrapped in a large sarashi-like bandage as well. She wears few decorations - a lotus flower tattoo on her stomach, some bone charms, and a broken mirror like a necklace.
  • Yoko Yamauichi - Swordswoman Lost in Nirvana - Aylor

Yoko is a strapping human-looking woman. Her shoulder-length black hair is kept out of her green eyes with a decorative red hairpin in the shape of a lily, and is done up in a ponytail, that barely reaches the red hilt of her blade. Her face is slightly tanned from recent exposure, but is otherwise plain. She wears a simple two-tone green one-piece dress, which nearly reaches her tall dark boots. She also wears a slightly worn black cotton jacket, as protection against the elements. A simple wooden necklace hangs around her neck. Although none of these elements would, individually, stand out, on the whole they seem slightly out of place.
  • Kumiko Yamashita - The Many-Legged Marcher - Wwolin

Kumiko appears to be a short, armoured human. Although she has dark green eyes and wears a green beret, her ludicrously long pitch black hair, tied into many segments yet still frayed throughout, dominates her profile. She wears a complete set of splint armour (made up of many overlapping strips and plates of metal on leather) on her torso and around her waist, culminating in heavy, bright yellow, boots. She holds a yari (spear) as a weapon. The armour is decorated in a few places with bright yellow strands of fabric or leather. She wears a segmented circular necklace around her neck.

Former PCs that didn't get a Bad End.
  • Hana Yama - Charming Cliffside Fairy - Freeformschooler

Hana is green-and-gold fairy, although is quite short, even among fairies! Her bright green eyes, long dark green hair, tied neatly into a ponytail, and bright gold clothing and six dark gold wings plainly identify her as a fairy associated with the harvest or nature in some way. Her shirt is two-tone between two different shades of gold, a lighter yellow on the torso and a darker gold on the wings, along with a leaf pattern on the centre. Her pants are similarly dark gold, held up by a light green belt. She wears plain straw sandals.

NPCS
  • Reimu Hakurei - The Shrine Maiden of Paradise

Reimu is the current Hakurei Shrine Maiden. Given the Hakurei Border's importance to preserving Gensokyo, and Reimu's own involvement in Gensokyo's many past incidents, there are many who view as either one of the strongest people in Gensokyo, or the most critical person in Gensokyo. Although Reimu has in the past been involved in every single major incident in Gensokyo, given her tendency towards laziness, there must surely be some that slip through her sight.

Her primary job is youkai extermination. However, if you cause trouble in Gensokyo, it's more than likely that Reimu will be the one to deal with you, whether or not you're youaki.

• Aya Shameimaru - The Traditional Reporter of Fantasy

One of the few people in Gensokyo who actually bother to try and catalogue all the crazy stuff that tends to happen. Aya is a crow tengu, and is frequently seen with a camera snapping pictures of incidents, danmaku patterns, and people for use in her Bunbunmaru newspaper. In terms of its content, to us, it falls somewhere between a small newspaper and a tabloid in terms of usefulness. ["This is rather the sort of newspaper that is more suited for a human or youkai that wishes to whittle away a lazy afternoon perusing its pages while sipping a cup of tea."] Nonetheless, it's frequently read across Gensokyo, by both humans and youkai.

Aya will typically try and report on any incident that occurs in Gensokyo, if she can. Although she's not a renowned incident solver, she still tends to get a little wrapped up in them, due to her reporting.

• Mayu Kurosawa - Desperate Drider Desperado

Stage 1 boss of the first incident. A funnel web spider-youkai that uses her webs as both tools and danmaku. She 'works' out of the forest between the Scarlet Devil Mansion and the Human Village, apparently in conjunction with fairies. However, it seems 'business' hasn't been very good lately - she was pleading with the PCs for food or money at some points.

Mayu herself is a tall, thin woman with shoulder length brown hair tied into tight braids with thin white webs, with a pale grey beret perched precariously on top. She's wearing a blackened scarf around her neck. She's wearing a padded armless shirt on her torso, which has thick white 'ribs' on it made out of web as well, increasing the protection it offers. On her legs are plain black pants ending with wooden sandals. Her right hand usually holds her nekode, while her left hand is wrapped around the knuckles with linen.
  • Aoi Yoshida - Rabbit blessed by water
    Stage 2 boss of the 2nd incident (alongside Sakura, making up "The Lucky Devils"), an earth rabbit who heeded the SDM's call for applicants (and somehow managed to get Sakura to tag along, too). Aoi acted brashly in an effort to weed out the competition after the SDM's cheapness was revealed, but the PCs put an end to that. Aoi surrendered, ending the ensuing combat.

A tanned and fit youkai, Aoi wears short blue pants, a loose white shirt, and heavy red buttoned hoodie over that. The hoodie has holes cut into it to allow her light-brown ears to poke out, though. The rest of her hair matches her eyes, and her eyes are blue. Aoi is obviously brash, but it seems her weakness is both food and a penchant for exaggerating too much - especially in terms of her danmaku prowess.

• Sakura Oyama – Mighty courage, mighty strength
    Stage 2 boss of the 2nd incident (alongside Aoi, making up "The Lucky Devils"), a hand-to-hand fighter of some variety who heeded the SDM's call for applicants (in part thanks to Aoi's interest). After Aoi made her move, Sakura followed. Sakura was defeated by the PCs in the ensuing combat.

A massively-burly, dark-skinned oni (?) with ram-like horns, Sakura wears a short dark-blue skirt, a plain white short-sleeved shirt with a matching dark blue collar, and red tie. She wrapped her hands, wrists, and ankles in heavy linen for padding, grey-white eyes, and long, white, ropey hair. Her face is adorned with a large diagonal scar across it. In contrast to Aoi, Sakura tends to be cold and patient - even while applying overwhelming force to her enemies.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:39:50 am by Logical2u »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:25 am »

Reporting in: Back from life stuff, and still game for this.

I also might do some drawing for characters- I need the practice.  :P
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:48 pm »

A brief history of Gensokyo

There are two currently only two events that I'm assuming all the PCs would know about: The Hakurei Border creation and the Ten Desires incident.

• The Hakurei Border

Created 127 years ago, the Hakurei Border, named partly due to its relationship with the Hakurei shrine maidens, and the geographical location of the Hakurei shrine to the border. Its creation was so significant an event that years are measured relative to its date of creation. It helps to preserve the balance of power of Gensokyo, but it's reportedly not impenetrable...

• The Ten Desires Incident

An abundance of spirits began appearing around the time of the cherry blossom blooming, attracting the attention of various adventurers in Gensokyo, the shrine maiden, Reimu, among them. The appearance of spirits was linked to the resurrection of a sealed Taoist saint, Miko Toyosatomimi. Tensions were eventually defused once both the saint and her companions, and opponents who wished to re-seal her, were defeated.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:10:03 pm by Logical2u »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:47 pm »

((Been busy with school, but my character is nearly written up. I'm just deciding on a last FP Thing.))

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »

Spoiler: Previous update (click to show/hide)

This post reserved for incident specific updates - lives, bombs, points, and plot points.

Current player stats
Character NameRemaining LivesRemaining BombsEarned Points
Hakyou
10.08 million
Yoko
10.025 million
Kumiko
5.04 million

Ongoing plot points
There are some strange fliers that seem to have advertised a job in the human village. From your present position, you can see they've attracted some attention - not all of it positive!
Quote from: The flier
Seeking: Respectable and qualified troubleshooters for a discrete task.

Inquire at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, before afternoon tea today, for further details.

Signed,
S. Izayoi, chief maid.
The forest on the way to the mansion is shrouded in unseasonable fog.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:57:38 pm by Logical2u »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 09:56:33 pm »

Stage 0: The Human Village

[Welcome everyone to the first ‘in-game’ post of this thread. As the players may have already seen, I’ll be keeping any OOC content that needs to be in this thread and in prominent posts inside these square brackets. We’ve got an OOC thread (linked in the main post) that may be useful as well… As you may or may not know I’m still accepting applications (and in fact may keep accepting them indefinitely), just that fitting you in might be a bit of trouble. Today’s update is brought to you by dubstep remixes.]

Although you may still be stiff, sore, or slightly hung-over, the morning light and the rustling of your drinking companions have been enough to rouse you. It is currently midmorning, in Gensokyo year 127, near the end of the Frost Month, just following a rice harvest festival of some sort. A thin layer of fog that hung on the ground is being broken up by bright sunlight breaking through light cloud cover. It looks like it’s going to be a gorgeous day, and slightly warmer than the past few days have been. Thankfully, all of your hangovers are nearly gone, so the sun looks enticing rather than painful.

You are all currently outside a bar named ‘Umemoto’s’, on the outskirts of the human village. The narrow road the bar sits on is dusty, the dirt and grass trampled flat from revellers both human and youkai. Surrounding the road are only a few other establishments – what looks like a small run-down restaurant down the road to the left (which tempts your now-hungry stomachs) and a shop with the owner just now putting out an ‘open’ sign that’s decorated with flowers, nearly across the way. The rest appear to be houses, in various states of repair. From here, any of you could definitely find your way back home or to any other part of the human village, however.

The biggest commotion on the road is a little ways to your right. In front of a seemingly-abandoned house, you can see a gathering of 10-15 people – some of them quite obviously youkai from their inhuman ears or wings. There appear to be a rather large percentage of well-dressed fairies among them. The group is gathered around a tall fence post that’s now doubling as an impromptu sign post. Some of them appear to be holding a sheet of paper - one of the many that adorn the post in a single layer. The paper is, however, inspiring mixed reactions. A few seem to be angrily tearing it up, whereas others are somewhat excited about it. Maybe those are the fliers you vaguely remember from last night’s ‘discussion’? This probably isn’t the only place to find them, though.

From here, your journey is up to you!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:13:46 pm by Logical2u »

Aylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yoko, deciding that food is much more important than excitement at the moment, as should always be the case when hung over, shakily gets up and stumbles over to the restaurant to get some breakfast.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:25:44 pm by Aylor »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hana walked up to the fence Yoko and Hakyou were resting on only to find Yoko walking away wordlessly to grab breakfast. Disappointing, but that's fine. At least she had one friend.

"H-hey, Hakyou, weren't those the fliers from last night? Some sort of call to adventure? Why's everyone tearing them up?"

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[After sending some PMs and thinking about how to make this work, we're back!

Retroactively removed]

By the time Hana's finished with her question, Yoko's arrived at the restaurant across the way. After a brief delay, you can all see a woman, in a blue dress with a grey top, briefly pop out, a discussion ensue, and the woman jotting something down, retreating back inside, and then returning, with food, which goes to Yoko. Yoko, much more steadily now, and carrying precious cargo, returns to Hana and Hakyou's position along the fence.

She's carrying three steaming boxes that smell of fresh rice, ginger, onion, and miso, along with a big glass bottle of water. She pushes a box towards both Yoko and Hana, along with wrapped up chopsticks, and sets the water between the three of you. She very happily exclaims "I got us some breakfast!" Then, before even waiting for a response, or acknowledgement, she digs in, pausing first to breath, and next to remember something else.

"Oh, and I managed to grab one of those leaflets, too."
Yoko says, barely looking up from the rice porridge, and grabbing a folded piece of paper from underneath her arm with a free hand, passing it to Hana.

Hana excitedly unfolds it, and begins reading it, although in a loud voice that doesn't seem to reflect her small size. You seem to have gotten the attention of the store-owner from across the street, judging from the rustling and noise in the shop.

Quote from: The flier
Seeking: Respectable and qualified troubleshooters for a discrete task.

Inquire at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, before afternoon tea today, for further details.

Signed,
S. Izayoi, chief maid.

Hana then quickly turns the page around, showing the rest of you the details. What follows the impeccable handwriting at the top is a map that takes up the rest of the page, showing a few labelled locations and a scale bar - among them are the Human Village, a place called the Misty Lake, and the aforementioned Scarlet Devil Mansion. If the map is accurate, it'd be just under an hour's walk to the mansion along a forest path, also shown on the map.

The paper is, however, weathering noticeably as it's waved about - what was once white is now a light brown.

The commotion down the way has quieted down in the meantime - the fence post looks normal again, except for the scraps of brown paper around it. You see about 3-4 people - not the well dressed fairies, though - from the group flying overhead, in the direction towards the Mansion, and the rest dispersing in small groups either back into the village, or flying into the wilderness in various other directions. If they noticed your presentation, they didn't care, or perhaps have lost interest in the issue.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:46:12 pm by Logical2u »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"OH NO, before Afternoon Tea! I don't know when that is but there's probably a time limit! Let's get going, huh?"

Hana kicks her wings back like she's going to fly but waits to see if the other two do anything.

Aylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Sit down. Afternoon tea isn't till the afternoon.  Probably late afternoon. We'll go after we finish our breakfast; there's no rush." Yoko replies exasperatedly before continuing to eat.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Touhou Play-by-post RPG: Stage 0: The Human Village [It begins!]
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:17:55 am »

"Respectable, qualified, and discrete, huh? Counts us out." Hakyou mutters, taking a swig of water and a sidelong glance at Hana.

"We do have some competition, though; they could get the job before we even show up. Might want to eat on the road, if we're interested."
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Aylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Touhou Play-by-post RPG: Stage 0: The Human Village [It begins!]
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:32:59 am »

"Huh, that's true I guess. Still I doubt they'd use so many fliers like this if they didn't want quite a lot of people."
Yoko ponders briefly while spining one of her chopsticks around her fingers.
"But why is the paper... aging so quickly? Should we grab some more? Or copy the map onto something else? We could probably get what we need from that shop."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14