Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: a LCS questions thread  (Read 9086 times)

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a LCS questions thread
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:06:22 am »

So I don't clutter up the forum with multiple gameplay questions, and because the forum software asked me politely to reconsider when I tried to necro an official-looking questions thread. Unless there is an objection, I guess other people could post their gameplay questions & answers here too?

What does the CCS actually do? I think (I can't remember exactly) I've had them siege me in place of the police, and I've had them show up instead of the police upon leaving an area I'm raiding. But I also often see newspaper articles stating that they've raided something or other, murdered a bunch of people and sped off in a car. Does this have any effect on anything? Is it them juicing up? Do they convert sleepers, like the LCS, and influence public opinion, or hack and stuff like that, or are the articles cosmetic, and the CCS is just there to kill you?

I ask because I want to play the hardest possible game of LCS, which means nightmare mode and we didn't start the fire, but the constant newspaper articles from the very start are kind of annoying and I'd like to know how much difficulty the CCS really adds.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:09:23 am by kuki »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: kuki's LCS questions thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:05:22 am »

They can siege you, which is nasty. The site actions you see newspapers about influence the exact same way your site actions do, but in the opposite direction. Fortunately, they don't seem to be able to shut down vital things like the hospital, but they pretty much negate whatever you do unless its major. Oh, and the police love them, so no help from that quarter.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:13 am »

I actually don't understand how my site actions influence people. Does shooting conservatives and smashing factories up actually influence public opinion in a good way? I sort of assumed it might turn people against me, if anything. If raids make the public more liberal, what exactly is the mechanic?

This game is infuriatingly under-discussed compared to dwarf fortress and it's hard to learn the details of how things work : (

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

Site raids affect public opinion for you positively, I think more than most other things. If you shoot up the nuclear facility to the point that it gets closed down, there will be a huge public opinion swing (like 20-30% on a scale of 0-100%) towards liberal on related issues to the site, which in this case would be the nuclear power issue. Attacking sites is usually the best way to move the issues to liberal, but in general you'll be murdering lots of conservatives in the process, which gives lots of crimes and heat. With no CCS, attacking sites is pretty overpowered purely due to how much it actually affects the issues. In 2-3 months, you can make almost all issues go from generally conservative ratings, like 10-20%, all the way to 100% liberal. At that point, it's just about keeping them there. With CCS, you almost have to raid sites just to keep up with their raids, because their raids do the same thing, but in the opposite direction on the scale.

Also it makes the LCS more highly-regarded, somehow.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:59:07 am by BoxOfAids »

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

Quick question on how the sneak mechanics work as I haven't played in about 1 1/2 years, but how do you go about sneaking out of the way of things like the security guards that spawn in when you take over the mic or stage? My founder has 22 stealth right now and 7 in disguise and I remember having way less than what I have now in stealth and getting by in earlier versions.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »

Quick question on how the sneak mechanics work as I haven't played in about 1 1/2 years, but how do you go about sneaking out of the way of things like the security guards that spawn in when you take over the mic or stage? My founder has 22 stealth right now and 7 in disguise and I remember having way less than what I have now in stealth and getting by in earlier versions.

If you're not in fight mode, you can just walk in a different direction. Otherwise you might have to Evade or Sneak (whatever the button for it is) away, but I'm not sure if you can do that while they're already initiating a fight. In any case, 22 stealth should be plenty. Things that might be a problem would be being naked (lowers stealth to like -99 or something), having low AGI (unlikely with 22 stealth), or having a huge party (more people = easier to spot). In these cases where you may not be able to slip away, your best bet is probably to try to bluff your way past the guards, though I can't remember if that's purely CHA-based or if it takes into account your disguise and whether you're disguised or not, or it might even include persuasion as well. Someone else probably knows more about that.

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »

If you're not in fight mode, you can just walk in a different direction. Otherwise you might have to Evade or Sneak (whatever the button for it is) away, but I'm not sure if you can do that while they're already initiating a fight. In any case, 22 stealth should be plenty. Things that might be a problem would be being naked (lowers stealth to like -99 or something), having low AGI (unlikely with 22 stealth), or having a huge party (more people = easier to spot). In these cases where you may not be able to slip away, your best bet is probably to try to bluff your way past the guards, though I can't remember if that's purely CHA-based or if it takes into account your disguise and whether you're disguised or not, or it might even include persuasion as well. Someone else probably knows more about that.
I'm only going in as my founder and it usually is about 3-6 guards but whenever I try to sneak past they just blow me away. I've never had this happen before so idk if the code has been massively reworked or i'm super glitched. Also my disguise is the expensive suit which shows up as green for my disguise. The only times I haven't been killed was when I just evaded all their attacks.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 05:41:41 pm »

It's possible to actually put on an awesome show at the radio station or cable news station, to the point the guards don't spawn because they're listening to it at their desks. The place still goes into high alert, but you're far more likely to escape without the initial fight.

I'm not actually positive on what it takes to get that reaction. High persuasion definitely, CHA and INT likely help too. Might also require a larger group (more voices make a better show than one person talking for an hour, right?).

In my experience, to what you're actually trying, though, Stealth and Disguise are completely unrelated. Stealth involves sneaking around unseen, usually in a black turtleneck or catsuit, while disguise is what is used to "blend in" with the other folks around you. Security Guard uniforms are what work for me in the AM Radio and Cable News stations. When I end up with guards around at the mic or stage after a show, though, I've never managed to escape without a fight, regardless of either skill.

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »

It's possible to actually put on an awesome show at the radio station or cable news station, to the point the guards don't spawn because they're listening to it at their desks. The place still goes into high alert, but you're far more likely to escape without the initial fight.

I'm not actually positive on what it takes to get that reaction. High persuasion definitely, CHA and INT likely help too. Might also require a larger group (more voices make a better show than one person talking for an hour, right?).

In my experience, to what you're actually trying, though, Stealth and Disguise are completely unrelated. Stealth involves sneaking around unseen, usually in a black turtleneck or catsuit, while disguise is what is used to "blend in" with the other folks around you. Security Guard uniforms are what work for me in the AM Radio and Cable News stations. When I end up with guards around at the mic or stage after a show, though, I've never managed to escape without a fight, regardless of either skill.

I just remember being able to bypass any fight completely due to high skill in stealth after doing a show, mediocre or otherwise. I guess it's changed or I need to change my disguise because i'ev never tried it with the exp. suit. I'll post results with different outfits.

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 06:03:33 pm »

Alright so just attemped to escape combat without fighting with both the Police and Security uniforms and died horribly. Read on the subject some more and decided to try the Ninja outfit and by god it worked. Completely skated around the enemies without a fight. Seems that being able to sneak in anything but the ninja suit is the norm now.  That's either a stupid move or the 3 is adds to stealth is what got me on the level.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »

Yeah, Ninja is great for stealth but then you're gonna have to rely on stealth, as the ninja suit doesn't exactly blend in.  I like sending 4-6 people in Expensive suits to take over a station; almost never spawns security and Disguise (that's what levels up from bluffing, at least) isn't affected by having a large group.

Once you take over the station, it goes to Conservatives Alarmed if it wasn't there already, and any Conservative you encounter will stop the squad.  Fight Mode for the rest of the op.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »

Alright so just attemped to escape combat without fighting with both the Police and Security uniforms and died horribly. Read on the subject some more and decided to try the Ninja outfit and by god it worked. Completely skated around the enemies without a fight. Seems that being able to sneak in anything but the ninja suit is the norm now.  That's either a stupid move or the 3 is adds to stealth is what got me on the level.

It actually multiplies your stealth by 3x, rather than just adding 3. Black Turtleneck and other "Black" clothing items, other than the catsuit, multiply stealth by 2x. Having at least the 2x bonus from wearing stealthy clothing, or the 3x if you can afford to make it, is pretty critical to using stealth.

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »

It actually multiplies your stealth by 3x, rather than just adding 3. Black Turtleneck and other "Black" clothing items, other than the catsuit, multiply stealth by 2x. Having at least the 2x bonus from wearing stealthy clothing, or the 3x if you can afford to make it, is pretty critical to using stealth.
So instead of just relying on my stealth skill to get me out of situations even when wearing heavy armor, I now have to wear specialized multiplier clothes? Kinda sucks but oh well. Luckily i got a first class ninja suit from my tailor so I'm good on robbing people blind and they not having a clue.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »

So instead of just relying on my stealth skill to get me out of situations even when wearing heavy armor, I now have to wear specialized multiplier clothes? Kinda sucks but oh well. Luckily i got a first class ninja suit from my tailor so I'm good on robbing people blind and they not having a clue.

The SEAL Stealth Armor is something like 2x stealth bonus and great armor, but it's also one of the hardest and most expensive armors to make. Other than that, you'll have to choose between going sneaky or going tough.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 07:48:42 pm »

The SEAL Stealth Armor is something like 2x stealth bonus and great armor, but it's also one of the hardest and most expensive armors to make. Other than that, you'll have to choose between going sneaky or going tough.

IIRC it's the Army armor with a stealth bonus, so good torso/head protection, but no limb coverage.  Second hardest to make and I believe also second most expensive, behind the Heavy Ceramic that one can find at the IntHQ, the CCS bases, and on Hardened Veterans.

That the modifier is a multiplier than additive is good information to know; I'd thought it was additive.

IMO sneaky is generally the better way to go, preferably in Disguise.  (I've faded into the shadows fairly often at the MilBase...whilst wearing army armor.  Stealth/Agility 13 founder, on his own.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7