Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: a LCS questions thread  (Read 9058 times)

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: kuki's LCS questions thread
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »

Has anyone got any experience with Extended Endgame or Marathon Mode? Are they worth experimenting with for additional challenge or are they, in practice, just a pain in the ass?

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a LCS questions thread
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 06:45:06 am »

The one that prevents term limits is worth experimenting with; results are interesting. The one that keeps the supreme court in place is nothing but annoying.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 10:31:53 am »

The one that prevents term limits is worth experimenting with; results are interesting. The one that keeps the supreme court in place is nothing but annoying.

+1 on Supreme Court being a pain in the ass, there's nothing you can do to get them replaced, you just need to have an L+ president and hope that at each check a justice steps down. Definitely makes the game a lot longer but if you get to the point where you're like "ok, that's enough, time to end the game", there's absolutely nothing you can do to speed up the process. It'd be nice to have something like a scandal or very low % success rate assassination attempt, just SOMETHING to get rid of justices. It wouldn't be overpowered to use near the start of the game or anything either, since they'll just get replaced by a C+ justice if the president is C+.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:04:35 pm by BoxOfAids »

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:14 pm »

An idea I had regarding that came from one of the mutators of Unreal Tournament 2004, which let you air-jump 2 extra times. Without mentioning it, it also made the mid-air jumps slightly higher than usual.

Here that would mean that during Supreme Court No-purge, the replacement chance would be 60% (or higher).

(The President has only half a say to the senate's other half. I've noticed that if both amendments are passed within 4 years, new justices are just conservative.)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:33 am »

An idea I had regarding that came from one of the mutators of Unreal Tournament 2004, which let you air-jump 2 extra times. Without mentioning it, it also made the mid-air jumps slightly higher than usual.

Here that would mean that during Supreme Court No-purge, the replacement chance would be 60% (or higher).

(The President has only half a say to the senate's other half. I've noticed that if both amendments are passed within 4 years, new justices are just conservative.)
UT2k4, another happily unrealistic game.  Good place for inspiration.

I like this idea, but 60% seems an unrealistically* high turnover rate.  Maybe 30-40% would be better if it's a straight-up check.  If the Justices have actual character stats (I doubt it, given that the Executive Branch doesn't), having retirement/death checks for age might be a useful thing, too.

*I know, Hollywood Reality.  Problem is, even Hollywood doesn't purge the SupCt unless US civilization falls, and LCS doesn't go that far.

daaad123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 03:45:06 am »

UT2k4, another happily unrealistic game.  Good place for inspiration.

I like this idea, but 60% seems an unrealistically* high turnover rate.  Maybe 30-40% would be better if it's a straight-up check.  If the Justices have actual character stats (I doubt it, given that the Executive Branch doesn't), having retirement/death checks for age might be a useful thing, too.

*I know, Hollywood Reality.  Problem is, even Hollywood doesn't purge the SupCt unless US civilization falls, and LCS doesn't go that far.

Yet...

Pierre Monteux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »

New question.

For a character with no security skill, what is a way to start training it?  They won't even attempt to pick locks with no skill.
I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 02:20:05 pm »

New question.

For a character with no security skill, what is a way to start training it?  They won't even attempt to pick locks with no skill.
Put someone with security skill in the squad and pick locks. Then everyone with them gets some experience.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »

Another option would be to send them to school. The Locksmithing course at the University can train no-skill into decent lockpickers in just a couple of months.

Pierre Monteux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:13 pm »

I missed the university course.  I knew there had to be a way.  Thanks.
I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »

I'll add a question of my own here, for those more acquainted with the source code than myself.

Regarding site raids affecting issues, does the amount that the issues are affected vary depending on the raid? For example, if I break equipment at a factory, does that have less effect than murdering people there? What about closing places down vs high security? Just wondering how issue effects are calculated from raids in general, basically.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »

Well if I read the code right, pushing the BRB will raise public awareness of nuclear power, but releasing prisoners/animals/genetic monstrosities will not directly affect the public.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 04:09:10 pm »

Well if I read the code right, pushing the BRB will raise public awareness of nuclear power, but releasing prisoners/animals/genetic monstrosities will not directly affect the public.

But what about just regular crime, like stealing things vs murder? Would murder push the issues more than stealing a bunch of stuff? Would murdering 10 people vs 1 person have more effect, or is there a cap, or just how does it calculate issue change?

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

Ultimately, the point of committing crimes on-site is to get to the front page of the newspaper as that is what makes the public opinion change. All non-unique crimes except murder are capped at 10 "instances" per raid.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »

Hmm.  Is it front-page-only, or does any newspaper coverage help?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7