Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hey! muskets and directonal, probably mount and bladeesque or better swords!  (Read 1568 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/13/mb-napoleonic-wars-devs-next-is-insanely-ambitious/

Mount & Blade meets Total War. That’s roughly how Flying Squirrel Entertainment – they of Mount & Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars – are describing their upcoming American Civil War opus, Battle Cry of Freedom. And so far, the (admittedly over-simplified) label sticks. Flying Squirrel is feverishly loading its musket and shooting for 500-plus player battles across five-by-five kilometer maps that are based on satellite images of actual locations. Meanwhile, the plan is to include every type of not-so-modern warfighter imaginable – from soldiers to artillery to musicians. Yes, musicians. Oh, and the entire environment will be destructible. Bottles, fences, houses – you name it. Will it work? Can it work? More after the break.

I have never, and i mean never, seen a more ripe game for a Warhammer 40k mod. And since they were modders to begin with... :D!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. One can hopefully wait for it but it will probably take quite some time.

And i totally thought this was a spam post at first from the thread title

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, what they are trying to do is basically Mount & Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars (maybe War of the Roses), but with a few gimmicks and a whole bunch of programming nightmares (500+ player battles, 25 km2 maps).

I'm guessing this is going to fail horribly.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile

Yeah, this concept isn't really going to work in that way, unless they put in Planetside 2ish redeployment thing.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah i'm not seeing this happening either. Even if it does, the games online won't last long, which is a shame.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

In the state I live in, we're already dealing with a second Civil War (google "state succession obama") and I don't really want to play it on computer.  Too soon.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

I just cant see 250+ players actually co-operating well enough on a large scale to make it work. What you will have is a random mish mash of people running around with no formation, taking pot shots each time thier musket is releoaded, then running around for 5 mins again, and so on...
This is a blank sig.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Besides that, the Civil War was an Irish Standoff.  "We'll both stand at arm's length and take swings until one of us passes out."  No player is gonna willingly stand in neat rows waiting to be shot.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Bots, my good sir, bots.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Hey, Napoleonic Wars worked out pretty well... of course, the maps weren't quite so big, and neither were the armies, but regiments got together, stood in lines, and fought as a well-drilled machine. And it was fun.

All they're doing is making it bigger now. We'll see whether bigger means better or bust.
Nothing important here, move along.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If they manage to pull it off it will be impressive. 200 player sieges in Warband were fun, and 200 player battles in NW were hectic. I can only imagine ~500 player battles, if only it were ARMA2/ARMA3...

To fix some of the rambo style fighting they could add bonuses to fighting in a line (In one Warband mod, being in a shield wall actually increases your 'shield' skill so it's more effective). Also, joining a platoon or something and sticking with it could have benefits other than the obvious.

We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

American Civil War? Screw that. If I can't play as a Russian partisan and zerk at people with hoes and broken vodka bottles then Flying Squirrel has lost their way.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the state I live in, we're already dealing with a second Civil War (google "state succession obama") and I don't really want to play it on computer.  Too soon.

Holy shit, its EUIII all over again. Best of luck dudette.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.