Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #19: Feedback  (Read 33228 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #19: Feedback
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:49:30 am »

The nineteenth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

There will be a transcript at some point -- please be patient!  There are some echoes and things since we have been out of the recording game for so long.

edit: Here's the transcript!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:24:49 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #19: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:34 pm »

It hasn't appeared on the DF Talk page yet.

EDIT: or iTunes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:56:26 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:38:19 pm »

It's there, just refresh the page.

I'm listening already.

And a game where I don't become an enemy of the state for punching a chicken is not a game I wanna play.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »

Thanks for the Talk, Guys. Interesting as always, and I'm even more excited to play the next version!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »

Woo, my question got answered. And as best as I can parse he said that ultimately many spheres will get the same attention as evil regions. Which is great.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »

Woo, my question got answered. And as best as I can parse he said that ultimately many spheres will get the same attention as evil regions. Which is great.

Really great.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:04:07 pm »

We can punch horses now? Sweet!!!
One of my first experiences with Adventure mode involved descending into the sewers looking for an olm man or something. I ran out of food, but then I remembered all the stray cats wandering the sewers. "Hm, stray cats don't belong to anybody, right? So I can just kill and butcher one and there will be no repercussions, right?"
Turns out in the current version, if you eat a stray cat with nobody watching the whole town hates you from then on. XD
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »

Favorite quote: "What is the adult form of a purring maggot?"

Very exciting DF Talk for a very exciting release! I especially enjoyed the discussion and descriptions of various non-Human sites that aren't yet included in the game. In particular, the elven sites, and Toady's "shout-out" to the General Grant and Sherman trees in Sequoia National Park, very close to where I grew up. These trees are incredibly intimidating in person, and were the first things I thought of when Toady first started talking about giant trees in Elven sites. It's such a delight to know that these ancient sentinels are influencing the development of the game, even in such a small way.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:40:56 am »

I haven't listened all the way through yet, but I do want to stop for a second and say that I do like the idea of being able to train skills in-game in a dojo in Adventure Mode (or just from some guy who really knows his stuff and is willing to teach). This would be especially good if we got some form of actual styles of martial arts to learn, so that your character could actually go around and seek out masters to learn from to eventually be a master of all the forms.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »

On the subject of releasing demons... what about having the demons, when exposed to sunlight, turn into "unclean spirits" that would possess humans.  The humans could then become various were-type beings, perhaps relating to the demon type.  So, a salt demon would cause the possessed human to have salt skin at night, and evil intentions all the time.

This would be less dire worldwide, while still being impactful.  The possessed humans would try to start wars, stage coups, or just turn to banditry.  If you kill them during the day, the spirit just goes and possesses someone else, but if you kill them at night, the demon is unleashed in truth and you can then kill it permanently.

Suggestiony, I know, but Tarn did say he was still brainstorming, so...

Uneron

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lets fix that, shall we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »

That "it can be!" at 24 minuites in, should really be a Dwarf Fortress Motto. So Toady-typical.

Great work!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:39:47 pm »

The adult form of a purring maggot is obviously a cave spider.
Thats somewhat disturbing.

Great DFT.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:57:04 pm »

Listened to it off and on.

Pretty interesting! I did notice the echoes, but no other problems.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:12 pm »

I listened to it a couple times.  You guys have such boundless ambition for Dwarf Fortress.  The best is clearly yet to come, and then come again, and again.  Bravo.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Pagz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:20 am »

With half-breeds a quick approach could to just have certain halves dominant over other halves, and write the RARs for each combination.

For example, take this line of dominant genes: elves -> goblins -> dwarfs -> humans.

A goblin who breeds with an elves offspring becomes a half goblin/elf, a goblin/elf who breeds with a dwarfs offspring becomes a goblin/dwarf, a goblin/dwarf who breeds with a humans offspring becomes a human/dwarf, and a human who breeds with a human/dwarfs offspring becomes a full blooded human, etc.

So in effect you just drop the half that's recessive. Obviously not as good a a full system that supports a wide myriad of breeds, but it'd be a fun step in the right direction. You'd get weird combinations like an elf breeding with a human/dwarf having a human/dwarf baby, but hey!

An excellent podcast once again, cannot wait for no.20!
Pages: [1] 2 3