Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambushing overpowered?  (Read 1075 times)

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambushing overpowered?
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:57 pm »

I'm relatively new to adventure mode, and I've gotten my first successful adventurer.  Problem is, everything is way too easy.  As hard as the first several attempts were, sneaking made every encounter dull.  Is this normal?

Basic steps to my success:
  • sneak everywhere
  • encounter an enemy while hidden
  • throw/shoot stuff at it until they pass out from pain
  • approach and stab in face

I've single handedly wiped out entire bandit camps, titans, vampires, and dragons using this algorithm.  It feels like the training wheels version of adventuring, but my adventurers before I started doing this couldn't last more than one hour.

On a possibly unrelated note, does reading a necromancer slab or book make you a night creature even if you can't read?  Undead are no longer hostile to me and I'm not sure why.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Ambushing overpowered?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:57 am »

yes, it is

no, it shouldn't

Fortport

• Bay Watcher
  • Modest expedition leader.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:07:27 am »

MIIIIGRAAAAAANTS!!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:30:03 am »

Its the true way of becoming a necromancer, sneaking in and reading the book before anyone notice that you are there. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

If you dont like sneaking then dont, you dont have to be a sneaking swordmaster/lasher every single game.

Could as an example be a wrestler/thrower who doesnt use any weapons in melee. Its def possible and fun. Killing titans with rocks like a baws.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:11 am »

Im looking for a link to the thread where an illustration of an operative kills a gob as he's giving a speech.  Pertains.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »

Just fight them normally and savescum when you die. Expect to see the start menu often, but you'll also get those great close battles and won't push through everything effortlessly.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:07 pm »

Ambushing's overpowered even in fortress mode, with ambush squads and necromancers sneaking around :D

You could experiment with trying to not ambush some of them, seeing how you fare.