Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 72994 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: The Starborn [Xenofiction]
« Reply #405 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »

I'll go with Ishtar because it sounds more sciencey then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right.

Ishtar's a bit bigger than earth, but not intolerably so. They did some preliminary scans for water, oxygen, heat, and the like, but didn't get too caught up in it due to funding issues to the science departments. Everything went into the ship.

The ICS Dunwich. Three miles of steel, wiring, glass and plastic. You only ever saw the first mile of the ship, not being an engineer or allowed into the Engine Compartment, which was more like an Engine City. But the first mile was enough, with about 9 years of flight with about 6000-7000 people of various races and backgrounds, in tight spaces more akin to a submarine than a hugeass spacecraft. You always wondered where the extra space went. Probably to the engines.

You can still see the Dunwich from here if you squint. Humanity only colonized this hemisphere of the planet, wanting to get a feel for the plantlife before spreading out too much. At least, that's what the captain said. You know the captain personally, through your mother, a Bridge Operator. He's a good guy, and you trust him.

That's about all you know. The guys are looking at you expectantly, but you forgot what they asked. You hang your head in shame.

"We said, Gil, your turn to pick what we do next. We ain't got shit for vidja games here." Says Steve.

"What about cards?"

"Nah, Danny chewed mine up so now all the Aces got tooth-marks innem."

"Soccer?"

"We ain't got a football."

Damn. What to do?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »

Wait, we're now some smooth skinned whinny-ass human...thing!?
grr.  Let's go look around the jungle.  Or forest, or whatever climate zone it belongs too
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 13, 2012, 04:52:53 pm »

Thecard: Dunwich is a reference to the H. P. Lovecraft story 'The Dunwich Horror'. Learn your classic horror literature, dude. :P
Oh.  I haven't read much horror beyond King.  I keep meaning to get on to Lovecraft, but I can never find the time.
I also can't find any in nearby libraries.  He's not big 'round here, I guess.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2012, 06:10:16 pm »

What moron names anything important after anything from Lovecraft? That's just asking for trouble...

Let's explore. Take a piece of paper (or whatever replaced paper) and make a map so we can fake productivity.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 14, 2012, 01:03:02 am »

As a child, I doubt adults expect much "productivity" from us.

Ishtar is the babylonian's goddess of love (much like aphrodite), and war (wait, what?).
I choose it over dunwich because
1) calling something "that place where alien eldritch horror fucked up humans more than we can remember" is asking for trouble
2) humanity is fond of giving celestial objects mythological names.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:37 am »

We're teenagers.

I know, I intentionally suggested a deific name. Also, ever hear of the Trojan War? Ishtar's domain there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:02 am »

I guess you're right, Troy is somewhere in the turkish coast, and assyrian/babylonian culture encompassed pretty much the whole modern middle east, so Aphrodite in the Illiad is in fact Ishtar (who is pretty much the same thing. Aphrodite sided with the trojans.)

PS: we're around Alpha Centauri B? Did you read that?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:53:18 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »

Um, I meant that the Trojan War was a aware based on love. If Homer's not making it up for a good story, of course.

And uh....wow. Sadly, it's a lot hotter than Ishtar.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 14, 2012, 04:06:49 pm »

Does the GM know something we don't?

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:34 pm »

No.
Did you note the bit where it's too hot for life?
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

No.
Naw, that wouldn't have made sense in the context of a joke.  :P

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 14, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »

No.
I did. 0.04 AU? damn, that's HOT. But this is Alpha Centauri B a. We're on Alpha Centauri B d (the fourth planet).
The fact that there is one earth-like planet there mean that there is others.
I read 40% chances of habitable planet somewhere. Not on this article.
Full Sig

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »

There is plenty of life that can survive temperatures like that, the only reason we can't is because our enzymes start to fall apart.  But take the worms and crabs that live around to hot vents on the sea floor, that shit is hot enough to melt steel, and they take it in stride.  Or wriggle.  And whatever you call a crab step.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 14, 2012, 06:15:30 pm »

Uh, no. The extreme maximum for life is 150°C. After that, everything break apart. It is no longer a matter of "adapted or not", it is no longer biology: it's chemistry.
The higher temperature tolerated by life registered is 121°C, by a pyroccocus.
Steel melt at three-digit temperatures.
Alpha Centauri B a is ten times closer to its sun than mercury is. Mercury is already at 400°C or more (daytime). No way can it host life (carbon based that is).
Full Sig

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2012, 06:22:03 pm »

Kaian: You messed up with the planetary designation thing. :P

The first planet found is b (Which in this case, would be the first planet in the system.). Ishtar could be Alpha Centauri B c for all we knwo.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 54