Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 73023 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]
« Reply #735 on: January 11, 2013, 07:22:45 pm »

*thinking...* *can't decide* *coin flip* *coin flip* Mess hall. Unless someone else has a better idea.

Mess hall-> lots of humans?
Red door-> Zonk?
Bend-> ?
Front-> Bridge and captain?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 11, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »

And from now on consider myself to agree with GreatWyrmGold unless I say otherwise. I'm tired of typing that he's right.
So sigging this. And, yeah, meshal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 11, 2013, 08:54:16 pm »

Mess hall got my axe vote.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 11, 2013, 11:46:51 pm »

Red door.  But first lets kick that stupid AI thing in what it passes for teeth.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 12, 2013, 01:38:17 am »

Red door.  But first lets kick that stupid AI thing in what it passes for teeth.
That would be highly ineffectual as he is projected by sets of hologram generators in the rafters and floor. I mean you could stick your hand in him, and the shadow would cause his holoself to go all wonky in an entirely not-fuzzy-like-in-fiction-but-freaky-semi-invisibility way.

And since he has complete control over his hologram and basically everything but the Shackle. If he felt like it he could start flying the ship into the planet and kill everyone! except for the part where he gets shut down and the staff regain manual control and nothing serious happens.

Or he could drop some bombs! Except that the humans have remote access and with the correct codes can override his authority and deactivate the bombs, most of which would burn up harmlessly in the atmosphere and the rest wouldn't do much serious damage.

He could purge the air! Except that would take a hella long time and same rules apply.

So he's omnipresent and a very fast thinker but there are plenty of failsafes making Asimovs laws obsolete. Not to mention the shackle prevents any moves against the crew anyway. You're not on the list yet but he's not really harmful unless you piss him off.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2013, 07:34:09 am »

So he's omnipresent and a very fast thinker but there are plenty of failsafes making Asimov's laws obsolete. Not to mention the shackle prevents any moves against the crew anyway. You're not on the list yet but he's not really harmful unless you piss him off.
Sorry, not really closely related to the story, but I had to say this, just in case any of you come across a superhuman AI for whatever reason.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 12, 2013, 11:17:29 am »

But the thing is, we don't know that, so there is no harm in finding out whether or not we can hurt it but kicking it in the teeth.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:06 am »

Hyperintelligent AIs are potentially safe if we include enough failsafes and manual overrides. Oh, and Asimov's Laws.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #743 on: January 12, 2013, 12:53:41 pm »

But the thing is, we don't know that, so there is no harm in finding out whether or not we can hurt it but kicking it in the teeth.
...so you opt to step past the imaginary man and into the hangar.
Hyperintelligent AIs are potentially safe if we include enough failsafes and manual overrides. Oh, and Asimov's Laws.
Long answer spoilered to conserve space and not flood the thread.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In a nutshell, I too believe that hyperintelligent AIs can be safe, I just think that we should ensure that they actually have been made safe before starting to use one.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 12, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »

Comparing AIs to a car or a nuclear reactor makes sense. They all sound incredibly dangerous, but with a bit of work they can be made to be more useful than dangerous.
Sig

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2013, 03:22:50 pm »

Actually the danger of an hyperrintelligent AI is proportionnal to what it has control over. A whole interstellar ship? Damn dangerous. Nothing besides a humanoid body? Not so much.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 12, 2013, 03:27:54 pm »

Actually the danger of an hyperrintelligent AI is proportionnal to what it has control over. A whole interstellar ship? Damn dangerous. Nothing besides a humanoid body? Not so much.
Not quite. That's one of the considerations, but there's many others, such as AI design and overrides.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #747 on: January 12, 2013, 05:51:55 pm »

The platform the AI is on doesn't matter. What matters is its programming. And the problem is that this programming can be transferred to any platform. You could theoretically operate an AI with a program written on a piece of paper and use a bunch of rocks as memory. But any AI with practical apllications would also have the power to convince a bunch of people to build it a better platform. Or it can change its code to work with distributed computing and escape to or even take over the internet. In the future when quantum computing will probably become widespread gathering the computational power to build a new AI platform would be trivial. All that is necessary is the programming and the AIs will to be transfered.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 13, 2013, 01:12:34 am »

Alright so Mess Hall.

-AI stuff-
I should probably go in to further depths with the failsafes, no? And Hanuman here is actually safer than a car to "operate" because of his Motive Matrix, which I'll go into in depth shortly. Not to mention there are about a dozen AI like him back on Earth, only one of which would go rampant at a time, and the other ~11 of them would try to take him down much like if your best friend went postal with a shotgun. Hanuman is a bit more dangerous but no more hazardous than the Captain, who has a greater amount of control over the ship and the ability to override Hanumans orders.

Spoiler: The Shackle (click to show/hide)

The current casualty count due to A.I negligence, malfunction, or malice lies at 23. There are almost a thousand people onboard the Dunwich. Hanuman is as safe as he can get. You'll see how dangerous he can get later. He's basically... human. He doesn't have rights though. Humans are really odd about giving foreign entities rights and the A.I don't see enough problems arising from the current political climate to push for them. They don't really care if the president is democrat, republican, fascist, whatever. All they really care about are the people in their Shackle, and whoever they add to it (the Shackle is write only.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would love to knee the sucker in the mouth but you can't quite reach. Also the orange bastard is gone anyway.

The Meshall, it turns out, is home to a host of humans eating their odd earth foods and talking. Some of the food is new, mostly a sort of paste or pill.

Some festivities seem to be taking place, humans dancing under the silly, rythmic beats they call music. Several more orange men stand nearby, in what humans seem to believe fine clothing, holding a cloth with one arm and a tray of drinks in another. All of it i holographic, though at times it switches to realistic color, usually when a reveler from the dance floor catches a barest glimpse. Often they realise beforehand, but several stumble as the drink they saw isn't really there. The orange men flicker when that happens, but seem to draw some sort of amusement out of the stumble.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #749 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:59 am »

Do what any self respecting politician would do: mingle, find interesting people, introduce ourselves, kiss hands and shake babies, ask about the captain, the ship, their home planet and maybe sample some of the food and drink. In short participate in the festivities and be good to humans. Oh, oh! Try to mimic the humans dancing to the silly human music and look silly adorable. (humans still find short silly things adorable, right?)

Oh, and the AI's failsafes seem preety good. I'd put one in my car if I had one.
Joking: But then again that's exactly what an AI would say to lull us into a false sense of security.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:16:54 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54