Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 73058 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]
« Reply #780 on: January 19, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

attempt the appropriate human welcoming ritual, and introduce yourself.

tell her they are a little scary and SO very fast! also... since we seem to be lost maybe Georgia can help us out.
maybe she can also help with shiftyman note, but I'm not sure if we should show it to her.
I give zis a +1
I also zink vee must show her ze note. Zee iz ze only available human at zis moment and zee does not seem dangerous especially if zee can stand being vith Hanuman ze voll day. Zee must have ze kindness and ze patience of Amma-ah.
Vat? Vee Zermans all talk like zat!

Okay, I'll stop talking like that now.
It is very difficult to put a light but pronounced accent into text. She is natively german though. Lived on the Austrian border before the ~9 year trip to Centauri.

Erm... Speaking of which, I had to do a total wipe of my computer and a large amount of files got lost on some minor info in this thread. Does anyone remember the names I've already given to the planets?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #781 on: January 19, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

Yes, I know, don't worry. Just making a joke about the stereotypical German accent.

I may look back on the thread about the names if I have some time.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 19, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »

I think ours is Ishtar for humans. Dunno how gobbos call it though.

BTW computer wipes sucks. I had one once (my stupid fault. I installed a game (LoL actually) in Program Files directly. It created no subfolders, so when it turned out it didnt work, I uninstalled it.
Wiping out everything I had in C://Program files. Sucks.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 20, 2013, 04:46:42 pm »

After thinking a bit on how humans greet each other you introduce yourself.

"Arkun-sha, of the Golvek tribe. I'm supposed to be headed to the bridge?"

She stands up a little taller at that. "I can help zen. I vork zere." You automatically show confusion the human way. A consequence of living so close to a tribe of them, you guess. "I am a navigator. I vork vith ze starmaps and make sure ze ship is headed ze right direction."

She starts leading you to the bridge, which happens to be towards the back of th ship, raised above the rest. While most of the vital systems are elsewhere, the ship was never built for combat, Georgia explains, pointing out that the bridge is in a highly vulnerable position. But it affords a brilliant view of the stars, and you can tell at a glance how the ship is without any electronics required. If any hull breaches appeared, special, contained tubes of charged Xenon would begin venting brightly colored clouds of gas into space, making it obvious where the damage was, as well as obscuring how bad the hit was to anyone who wasn't trained to tell. Different noble gases marked different portions of the ship as well, meaning one could tell if the hit damaged Engineering, habitation, the AI core...

Georgia seems very knowledgable about the ship, chatting amicably in her buzzing accent. eventually the topic turns to the people on board, and the note in your pocket begins to weigh heavily.

Should you really show Georgia the note? You sense that making the wrong decision here could be the end of you later down the line...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #784 on: January 20, 2013, 06:50:39 pm »

This is a difficult question. If the note contains information that may be relevant to our upcoming meeting, this might be our only chance to use it. On the other hand, if it contains dangerous info or a meeting place, there's no telling what will happen. She seems like a nice person but appearences can be deceiving and she works at the bridge, so she is probably even indirectly involved in the governance of the ship and/or the military. Plus, the AI might be watching. At first I suggest we try to understand the note again, maybe ask her to remind you what some symbols mean, maybe even show her part of the note, for example only the first word. After that, it's a difficult choice. We could show her and if it turns out we were mistaken to trust her threaten her with one of the knives, however that is a risky strategy. I'll reserve my choice until someone else posts. Right now I'm leaning towards showing her, just because I'm curious. But curiosity killed the dog, so...

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »

Show her the note, tell her that if she tells anyone about it it could be the death of us.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 21, 2013, 01:00:36 am »

Depends. She seems nice and if we obviously dont know what it really means we can claim ignorance.
Whatever, I dont think this is a traitor or something.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:49 pm »

You decide to show her the note.

"I found this lying in a hallway. It's covered in..." You search for the alien word. "...Writing?"

Georgia takes the note and looks at it blankly.  Then she unfolds the paper. You can see her eyes scroll across the page, first left to right, then right to left. Her bubbly demeanor is gone, replaced with cold logic and reason. The sheer fury of her mind sets you ill at ease, and you shuffle away.

"It looks shady to me," you say slowly, "So I hope it doesn't implicate me in anything. Still, I'd rather not tell anyone about it." Georgia doesn't seem to notice.

She starts striding down the hall, still buried in the note. her eyes flick about dizzyingly, as if piecing together a puzzle. Finally she sighs and raises a hand to rub her eyes.

"I'm afraid I can't help you vith zis. It's vitten in katakana, but I'm no good vith japanese vriting and it's encrypted besides." She hands you back the note." Interesting. You remember that your village at home has some Japanese humans in it, perhaps they would... erm, "speak" this Katakana. Perhaps the captain would also know, and it might be wise if this is some sort of plot... Of course, it would be terrible if it turned out the plot had good reason. You hate acting without knowledge, but you've learned all you can for now.

The bridge is an active place. Georgia leaves you almost immediately to join in the festivities, pointing out the captain to you, but you're not strapped for time and poking about in here could easily reveal more technological secrets from the humans. That is, if they want you to have the secrets...
Thou art I, I art Thou.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:52 am »

Poke about!

Poke like your life depends on it!

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 23, 2013, 07:05:58 am »

Poke about!

Poke like your life depends on it!
+1
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #790 on: January 23, 2013, 05:19:35 pm »

Maybe ask around a bit for astronomical knowledge. Where we are and how does the ship move around. Or maybe search around for some kind of display that has information about the ship. Areas, subsystems, power sources that sort of thing. Or ask around about what each human does on the bridge. Or maybe sit in the captains chair and pretend to be the captain of the ship! Oh, oh! Find the public address system and wish the humans well on behalf of all of goblinkind and that we hope that in time our meeting will be celebrated with the same joy.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 28, 2013, 08:31:23 pm »

Seizing the chance to faff about like a child, you wander about the Bridge pointlessly, trying to make sense of the little winking lights and bright monitors. Several have diagrams of some sort of machine on them, some have different angles of your planet. One seems to be a depiction of a specific region of the world, but as you watch the operator flicks a hand and sends it spinning dizzily out into space, only to fall back down on another region.

"Don't get too in awe, mate, it's only Google Maps." the man says dismissively. He has an accent you've never heard before.

Regardless, you're eventually confronted with what you can only assume to be the captains chair, considering it's raised on a dias, has several panels of red and green lights, and the man himself is standing nearby, discussing something with Georgia. The tone of conversation seems odd. You've never heard this tone of voice before, and the difference in culture is too large for you to know instinctively.

It strikes you that you can sit in the chair right now and no-one will notice... Are you feeling plucky, Arkun?
Thou art I, I art Thou.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:39 pm »

No.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:21 pm »

We are the pluckiest of the peacocks.  Sit our ass in that chair.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 28, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »

SIT IN THE CHAIR, CARE NOT FOR INHIBITIONS
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54