Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 71428 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: The Starborn [Xenofiction]
« Reply #390 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »

The planet should be called Dunwich. Just because.

((Also: Pretty shitty colonization effort if they didn't notice the local sentients beforehand. :P))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »

((Maybe they didn't go where they intended?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »

Let's go with Ishtar.

((I'm amused that gender was described by chest size...of course that's what our character noticed...)
What other feature is more obvious? To an alien, I mean? The wider hips and rounder form are more subtle, especially to someone who comes from a species where neither are what determine Gender.

The planet should be called Dunwich. Just because.

((Also: Pretty shitty colonization effort if they didn't notice the local sentients beforehand. :P))
The goblin tribes aren't all that big, the four or five in the Confedaration you're part of only number about 500 combined. It's possible the ships AI noticed and didn't mention it. He's like that.

The ship WAS equipped with Xenobiologists, because why not. They double specialized, though, since it's kind of hard to do Xenobiology when the only possible contact with ET life is some really staticy, possibly natural radio signals from 50+ lightyears away, and the foremost scientists don't even think that's really aliens, just a weird pulsar. (They're right... sort of. but that's DEFINITELY not important to you)

((Maybe they didn't go where they intended?))
Alpha Centauri B, fourth planet out.

They thought it might be somewhat more deserty, but they went right where they wanted.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:20 pm »

Dunwich Serchire.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »

About the features: Styles presumably vary between genders like they have at all times in human history. Unless every woman in this universe is unusually buxom, longer hair or dresses or whatever are going to be more prominent from a distance.

About numbers: Only a few hundred civilized goblins in the world? Really? If nothing else, our level of societal complexity implies a number of band-style cultures scattered around the globe, or at least nearby continents. Even a race which can control fire should be notable.

About the planet's identity: Assuming these are Terran humans, that makes it even more inexcusable! It's among the closest planets to Earth, and it never got a decent scan?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:19 pm »

It's possible the women aren't all wearing dresses, and let's be honest here.  All women have boobs, and all (well, some extremely rare cases do exist) men don't.  And... it's one of the more noticeable things that set women apart.
Besides, maybe he's observing only the... more gifted women, they're still different from the men.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

Those were examples.
I've met many women without prominent chests who were unmistakably feminine.
Meh, point.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:47 pm »

Those were examples.
I've met many women without prominent chests who were unmistakably feminine.
Meh, point.
Yeah, so have I.  I guess those are more obvious to humans though.
Or maybe we're just horny.   ::)

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 13, 2012, 12:52:03 am »

I'll say that hair is the first feature that make an obvious difference between human genders (kinda like lions). Breasts come second, the rest is probably too hard to understand or even spot for an alien (seriously, who can tell a male cat from a female only by their faces? I'll admit that you can, with a bit of knowledge, use certain fur patterns that are female-only, but that's all.)

I second the colony named Ishtar.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:59 am »

Hair is so individualistic though, it hardly seems as if it could be used especially as the amount of different variations would likely baffle any attempt at categorization.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:12 am »

Approach the colony, see if you can get your hands of some of this clear stone.
Maybe we can woo Alca with some?
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 13, 2012, 08:26:31 am »

It's a tie between Ishtar and Dunwich right now.

And hair isn't a good distinguishing feature for telling men from women.

Maybe if I look more feminine the chicks will take me seriously!

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 13, 2012, 08:27:48 am »

Besides, who says we can tell women from men. So far we've only noticed that some of the small chested ones don't wear shirts.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 13, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »

Err... I don't know.  One one hand, Dunwich sounds kinda like a mentally challenged sandwich, but on the other hand, Dunwich sounds kinda like a mentally challenged sandwich.

I don't know 'bout Ishtar though.  I feel like a human colony would have a more colony-like name.  By that, I mean promising words like "Hope" or references to other colonies like "Plymouth."

Think I'll abstain from this one.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 13, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »

Thecard: Dunwich is a reference to the H. P. Lovecraft story 'The Dunwich Horror'. Learn your classic horror literature, dude. :P
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54