Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 71216 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]
« Reply #720 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:36 am »

EDIT: I just realised two things a)We got Indian HAL instead of Indiana Jones and b) a "medicinal" plant from India, grown in the probably remote engine area. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Erm... A quick google scan tells me Marijuana is native to the Caucasus... Not india...

Of course, I only meant this as a joke. I mean this is a highly advanced, probably under military governance, ship with a probably omnipresent and all knowing AI on board. So unless the crew was chosen on some very strange standards, or the hippies sent one of their top secret black ops infiltration teams to build a community of peace, love and weed on the new planet, I don't think it's cannabis.

joking: But then again, there are elves (I know they're not DF elves, but stil) on the planet, so one can say that the hippies have been there long before humans... Hmmm... Ancient alien hippy astronauts?

Nowhere else to go except the meshall or further down the hall, so go to the meshall I guess, unless the AI or a forum member has something else/better to suggest.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 11, 2013, 01:55:52 pm »

EDIT: I just realised two things a)We got Indian HAL instead of Indiana Jones and b) a "medicinal" plant from India, grown in the probably remote engine area. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Erm... A quick google scan tells me Marijuana is native to the Caucasus... Not india...

Of course, I only meant this as a joke. I mean this is a highly advanced, probably under military governance, ship with a probably omnipresent and all knowing AI on board. So unless the crew was chosen on some very strange standards, or the hippies sent one of their top secret black ops infiltration teams to build a community of peace, love and weed on the new planet, I don't think it's cannabis.

joking: But then again, there are elves (I know they're not DF elves, but stil) on the planet, so one can say that the hippies have been there long before humans... Hmmm... Ancient alien hippy astronauts?

Nowhere else to go except the meshall or further down the hall, so go to the meshall I guess, unless the AI or a forum member has something else/better to suggest.
Weed is legal anyway. Socially stigmatized, but legal. No plants were allowed onboard though because the Habitation Systems wouldn't like the smoke, and the screening process left out people with drug addictions to Marijuana, Tobacco, anything that burned.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 11, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »

You should read Cracked.com, they have pretty good stuff on badass christians. Did you know an early saint actually summoned a couple bears to maul annoying teenagers to death?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 11, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »

You should read Cracked.com, they have pretty good stuff on badass christians. Did you know an early saint actually summoned a couple bears to maul annoying teenagers to death?

Yeah, but they distort most of the truth, and what they don't bend, they outright lie about. Did you know that researchers have proven that anyone will believe anything you tell them researchers have proven?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:46 pm »

DURBLE POST HERP-A-DERP
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:22:50 pm by rabidgam3r »
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

Did you know Muhammad was supposed to have cracked the moon?

But no I was just saying Hinduism has some pretty off the wall badass moments. Western Monotheism seems to have it toned down a mite, what with it only being two bears.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »

So Judeo-christian mythos has god's son walking on water, hindu myths have a gods son as a flying mountain transport monkey.
That's Hinduism: 1, Monotheism: 0
May I sig?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #727 on: January 11, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »

But no I was just saying Hinduism has some pretty off the wall badass moments. Western Monotheism seems to have it toned down a mite, what with it only being two bears.
Well, considering it's supposed to be a religion about love, peace and acceptance or something like that, I think the bears are in fact a little extreme.
On the other hand if you compare it with what happens in the old testament yes, it is a bit toned down. (God wanted to eradicate sin from a city; god killed people and turned a guys' wife to a *salt statue*. God wanted to eradicate sin from the planet; god plagiarized the Epic of Gilgamesh and other tales with epic floods. God wanted to show the Egyptians' gods who is the boss; god tortured and killed the Egyptians. God wanted to help move the Jews; god split the sea in half. God wanted to "clear" some land for the Jews; god sent some angels to tear down the wall of the city by shouting and then instructed the Jewish soldiers to kill everyone, including the women and children. There was a man that worshiped and loved god like no other; god tortured him and his family horribly and caused society to shun him.)
Still, a god that can't be bothered to search a mountain, so he returns the entire mountain is way cooler.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 11, 2013, 05:06:51 pm »

Well, considering it's supposed to be a religion about love, peace and acceptance or something like that, I think the bears are in fact a little extreme.
Where the hell did you get that idea?

On the other hand if you compare it with what happens in the old testament yes, it is a bit toned down. (God wanted to eradicate sin from a city; god killed people and turned a guys' wife to a *salt statue*. God wanted to eradicate sin from the planet; god plagiarized the Epic of Gilgamesh and other tales with epic floods. God wanted to show the Egyptians' gods who is the boss; god tortured and killed the Egyptians. God wanted to help move the Jews; god split the sea in half. God wanted to "clear" some land for the Jews; god sent some angels to tear down the wall of the city by shouting and then instructed the Jewish soldiers to kill everyone, including the women and children. There was a man that worshiped and loved god like no other; god tortured him and his family horribly and caused society to shun him.)
Wasn't that from the Old Testament?

Still, a god that can't be bothered to search a mountain, so he returns the entire mountain is way cooler.
Agreed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #729 on: January 11, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »

Where the hell did you get that idea?
That's what our religion indoctrinator teacher used to tell us anyway.
Wasn't that from the Old Testament?
NOOO!!! You have quoted me! Now I'll never be able to edit erase this shame off the face of the forum.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

So Judeo-christian mythos has god's son walking on water, hindu myths have a gods son as a flying mountain transport monkey.
That's Hinduism: 1, Monotheism: 0
May I sig?
Feel Free.

tbh I love religion. I doubt I'd ever join a church of any sort, as that requires work ethic and commitment, two things I seriously lack. But I love learning about different religions and participating on the Athiest/agnostic side of theological arguments. Religion's played a huge part in human history and will continue to do so for thousands of years, presumably forever in some respects. I just hope the part it plays is mostly positive, as right now it seems pretty negative in the west... :(
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 11, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure religion is mostly positive, it's just that the negative examples with people saying/doing cruel things in the name of their religion is what'll make the news.

And for the record, GWG is right, the Elisha incident with the bears is old testament. (And if you want to actually debate the various stuff that happened in the Old Testament, I'm willing to talk about it, but I assure you it would derail the thread HARD.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 11, 2013, 05:47:19 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure religion is mostly positive, it's just that the negative examples with people saying/doing cruel things in the name of their religion is what'll make the news.
Religion is not, by itself, negative or positive. It just gets people to do negative or positive things.

And for the record, GWG is right,
Note to self: Sig this, too.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #733 on: January 11, 2013, 06:42:59 pm »

I believe thread derailment is a punishable offense, so let's not do that. At least not here. Maybe on another thread. (The disscusion, not the derailment.)

And from now on consider myself to agree with GreatWyrmGold unless I say otherwise. I'm tired of typing that he's right.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:53:13 pm by Parisbre56 »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »

So where are we going, towards the front of the ship? The Meshall? Around the bend? Through the Red Door?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54