Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mini-mega project: wanted  (Read 3849 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Mini-mega project: wanted
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

All right guys, I can't seem to get back into DF. I start and get my dwarves going, but without a goal in mind, I often abandon before the first seige. Any of you have a good challenge in mind or a mini-mega project I could do? I'm still kinda newbish even though I've been playing for about a year :P I want something to break this funk, but can't come up with a good idea on my own.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mega project: wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »

The all-peasant challenge is a classic. Embark with nothing but a pick, and maybe not even that. Use your talentless hacks efficiently to survive until the caravan arrives and outfits you with proper gear. Bonus points: embark in an evil area. Good luck!

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »

Cast a giant hand out of obsidian, giving the finger to the elves.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:12:10 pm »

Build a hobbit town. No town walls. No extreme digging unless necessary for stone and minerals. Small, yet shallow buildings in every hill you can find.

I reccomend turning off invaders for a little while at least, unless you are a very bold man.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:41 pm »

The all-peasant challenge is a classic. Embark with nothing but a pick, and maybe not even that. Use your talentless hacks efficiently to survive until the caravan arrives and outfits you with proper gear. Bonus points: embark in an evil area. Good luck!

it turns into a common game after first half year of difficuties.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:39:37 pm »

Everyone after the first 7 goes straight into the military, except for the first 7's children. Live off trading stuffs out, too :D

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

it turns into a common game after first half year of difficuties.

Make it a Rabid Peasant challenge. Rabies quarantine? I don't know. The dwarves don't build anything, and attack everything (other than each other) on sight, but you still have to survive.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:50 am »

Building a Bloodbowl stadium can be a good mini-mega project.

Examples from a year ago:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96233.msg2750430#msg2750430
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Jase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 04:57:01 am »

Wait until you have 50 dwarves. No military. Build an arena as big as you like (preferrable one room), lock all your dwarves in (including children) and let them tantruming. After all of your dwarves killed each other, restore the mood of the surviving one and let your migrants worship him as their new god. If there is no survivor, rinse and repeat.

Bonus: Your survivor is a cat.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 07:13:35 am »

Limit yourself to only a single resource. Everything you make and trade has to be made from that single resource. For example, if you pick glass you must may only trade glass objects, construct glass furniture and build everything out of glass blocks. You can decide for yourself how strictly you limit yourself here. For example, clothes and food are generally too scarce not to make yourself, so you could either make this yourself or limit your population. And you can't trade for beds or mechanisms, so you could make this from other materials but decorate it with your resource if possible. Just see for yourself how much challenge you want.
This is generally not an overly difficult challenge but it is fun to limit yourself to a material you've barely used before.
Some interesting materials include clear glass, obsidian, GCS silk, soap and blue metal.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:11 am »

I've been keen on the 'Above Ground' project that's been randomly done/suggested on the forums. You can only build rooms/workshops above ground, so every building needs constructed walls/floors.

It's actually very difficult as it takes far longer to plan and build above ground. The good part is you get an awesome looking and rather unique little town (if you can survive).

Hard mode: Embark in terrifying, seriously, it's impossible in my opinion.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:19 am »

Create your own Divine Quarter.  Make temples to all the gods genned by your world, and customize them to be themed around those gods.  Bonus points if you get magma pouring in the hall of the god of Fire or Metals or something.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:21 am »

A hand of NOD.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:09 am »

I suggest designing an aesthetically pleasing fortress. That saved me from my DF funk. Design a spiral staircase, courtyards and hallways and stick to them. Have the layout make sense from a dwarf's perspective instead of efficiency. Think about multi-z floors instead of every z-level being its own floor. And remember, function follows form in this case.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:09:57 am »

Use statues instead of walls.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.
Pages: [1] 2