Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North

(1/11) > >>

Mephansteras:
With the new version of Unreal World out I decided it'd be fun to do a Let's Play of it. For those of you who don't know it, Unreal World is a survival rogue-like set in a pseudo Iron Age Finland.

Based on an idea from Girlinhat, I've decided to try making a Fortress. Now, this is a huge endeavor and will take quite a while to do. I have to survive long enough to make it, and get enough supplies to keep myself fed while I make it.

Your input is welcome, but I'll be making a bunch of decisions on my own since the focus is on eventually creating a Fortress (as opposed to any other goal)

With that in mind, I'm going to play this as if my Character was a Dwarf. He'll start off from the most civilized group, the Driikilainen. I will also be somewhere in the South-western region, since I'll want to have reasonable access to good quality equipment.

Now, here comes the first Question: What kind of starting scenario should we use?

Here are the options:

The Unreal World - Start playing at the middle of a wide, unfamiliar wilderness.
The Village - Start playing outside a strange but cosy-looking village. Can give some advantages, but doesn't usually have a big effect.
Runaway Slave - Having been slave to Njerpezit for years you finally take a step to escape from your captors. Very difficult start (and quite likely that I'd die before getting anywhere).
Unfortunate Hunting Trip - Your father lies dead on the ground and the beast who killed him is still present. Can go really well or really poorly.
Lonely Settler - You find yourself alone on foreign ground with two unfinished cottages. Can give a few equipment advantages, but we'll almost certainly abandon the starting spot so it's mostly wasted.
Hurt, Helpless and Afraid - Wounded and left for dead, you struggle to survive in the wilderness. Very difficult start (and quite likely that I'd die before getting anywhere).
Traps and Trapping - You start playing fully equipped with the tools for passive hunting. A half-way decent starting set that gives some extra equipment.
I Want to be a Fisherman - Carrying extensive fishing equipment you start to follow your path as a fisherman. Makes initial survival pretty trivial. Probably the easiest starting scenario.
Abandoned Trap Fence - You find an old trap-fence in the wilderness. Might be a little helpful, but usually gets abandoned pretty quickly.
Abandoned Camp - You find an old camp with firewood, shelter and useful items. Occasionally gives something decent, but tends to have little effect.
Agriculture - You posses some valuable seeds and are ready to try out your agricultural skills. Nice bonus for later on, but doesn't do much for initial survival.

The next question is whether or not I want to do the optional quest lines. They act as a tutorial (which I don't need) and give some nice free equipment (namely an Axe and Fishing Pole). Mostly acts to make the game easier, but does feel a bit like cheating to me.

jester:
Runaway slave, there is no other option.

Girlinhat:
A bit of background for the game, and why a fortress is an impressive endeavor...

Food is important.  You have varying degrees of Nutrition, and the higher your nutrition the slower your hunger bar fills.  Fish are amazing for nutrition, meat next, and plants least, with water technically filling hunger but giving no nutrition at all, so you get hungry faster.  For the purpose, "I want to be a fisherman" gives you 2 nets for passive fishing and a rod for active, and is the easiest start since you will assuredly have food, and that means more time to do other things.

"Hunting Trip" is nice too, since you start with a bow and arrows and you can butcher your father for early food (cannibalism is A-OK!) and this will last you a few days.  If you start with bow skill, that's also easy hunting.

As for the castle?  Wood buildings are the only option, and they take 6 whole trees per 1 wall segment.  A modest 3x3 house has a perimeter of 20, for a total of 120 logs felled.  Trees are about... 10-25% of the map, so in order to build a suitable fortress that'd be probably on the order of 800+ tiles scoured, which is roughly 28x28 area, and for all intents that's MASSIVE for just a modest 3x3 walking room house (5x5 including walls).

So for any proper fortress... good land management will be important to understand the size of the thing to fit into map tiles politely.  This is actually important because each overmap tile has a limit on the number of items it can hold, so keeping things in different zones can help reduce item loss due to memory overflow.  A farm zone would have to be in another map tile, for sure.  Similarly, the smoking room (for curing meat) and drying area would probably be best in other zones, which begs the question of just how big this thing will be.  If we're counting it in overmap tiles now, it should probably be at least 2x1 enclosed zone, with additional farmland zone(s) nearby, all of which would be enclosed in cheaper fences+spike pits.

This will surely be a massive undertaking, though I may suggest you actually not build on a mountain, but instead on some marshy-ish land.  Certain lowlands where there's few trees, there's plenty of conveniently flat land, and there's usually herds of animals in the large open spaces, like reindeer and elk and stuff.  That's good hunting, and there's usually pockets of water to drink from as well.

ansontan2000:
Fisherman. Survival is what we need to secure first.

Girlinhat:
Since this is an objective-oriented LP, I do vote fisherman.  You can get secure food, but then ignore it and go hunting.  The nets are there to make sure the game doesn't end prematurely, even if you get all your meat from hunting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version