Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is this happening?  (Read 2980 times)

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is this happening?
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »

OK, there's two things that have been happening in my fort that have become annoying.

First, I've noticed that whenever a dwarf kills something, their nickname is deleted, resetting their name.  I keep having to go in and give the nickname to them again.

Second, for some reason, a lot of dwarves seem to have stopped caring about items.  There's a crap-ton of wood out in the field and in the trade depot that hasn't been moved to stockpiles, and occasionally I find a bin here or there that's just left behind.

Does anyone know why this is happening?  Notes: I'm using the latest Lazy Newb Pack and gave nicknames using Dwarf Therapist.  Also, I have over 100 dwarves in my fort.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Why is this happening?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »

I've heard of issues with nicknames given through Therapist, never had any issues doing it in-game. No idea what's happening there since I don't uses therapist.

Did you checked your orders? There're wood hauling order. Check the bins and see if you have stockpile of the stuff inside with bin enabled or stockpile for empty bins.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:09:04 pm »

I have a hundered dwarves with all hauling turned on.  I've had a similar issue before, where some materials in the trading post are left behind after the caravan leaves, but it's usually little more than a couple gems or crafts.  It's never been a horde of items like this.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:27:35 pm »

Just making sure. Do you have enough stockpiles? Can they accept items that are laying around?
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »

Just making sure. Do you have enough stockpiles? Can they accept items that are laying around?
I look in my stockpile rooms, and they're nearly empty in several cases.  I have enough room for everything left behind.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »

Are your stockpiles configured to accept the item types left behind?  Are they configured to only accept items from links?

Large Gems, as far as I'm aware, still don't have a stockpile position of their own, so they get left behind regardless.  I am not aware of anything else that is treated similarly, so anything else not moved is typically left at the depot because the appropriate stockpile is full, or configured to not pull from everywhere or not configured to pull specifically from the depot.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »

Are your stockpiles configured to accept the item types left behind?  Are they configured to only accept items from links?

Large Gems, as far as I'm aware, still don't have a stockpile position of their own, so they get left behind regardless.  I am not aware of anything else that is treated similarly, so anything else not moved is typically left at the depot because the appropriate stockpile is full, or configured to not pull from everywhere or not configured to pull specifically from the depot.
Pretty much, yeah.  I haven't changed any stockpile settings of any of the stockpiles.  I just tried deleting and remaking my wood stockpile though and... that resulted in something stranger.  A horde of dwarves got "Move item to stockpile" orders.  They ran outside, ran up to a chopped stack of wood, and.... suddenly got no job and ran back inside, leaving the wood behind.

At the time of trading, I had just made my hospital with a few coffers, and the dwarves were moving hordes and hordes of fabric into the hospital.  I think maybe that have interfered with it.

Edit: WHEELBARROWS.  I had made each stockpile have "Max Wheelbarrows: 1".  When I turned it to 0, the dwarves went out and started picking stuff up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:01:41 pm by Chessrook44 »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:26:01 am »

Edit: WHEELBARROWS.  I had made each stockpile have "Max Wheelbarrows: 1".  When I turned it to 0, the dwarves went out and started picking stuff up.

That explains it all :D
Only as many haulers as there are wheelbarrows will be assigned, if none, everyone with the job hauls as many as there are room :D