Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having not done the whole storytime thing much, how was it?

1-3 horrible!
- 0 (0%)
3-5 bad.
- 0 (0%)
6-7 mediocraty at its finest...
- 3 (27.3%)
7-8 good.
- 3 (27.3%)
9-10 great actually!
- 5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!  (Read 15504 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Hello!  This is my second attempt to get an adventurer to kill those pesky boogeymen in as many ways as I know!  You see, my first attempt, Osta Demonchunks, broke her world and no boogeys would spawn :( .  So this one is going to have to take over!  Unlike my last one, this will not be done in a single day, however... No time.

-Links to other points within this thread-
The Bandit Camp of Wickedblunted, Day 01
Boogey Tip, Day 01
Boogey Tips, Night of Boogey Attacks, Day 02
The Sewers of Basementgloomy, Day 03
The Goblins of Basementgloomy, Day 03
A Public Service Anouncement
Bandit_Keep, Day 03
Request for Feedback
Relative World Location
Back to the Sewers, Night 03
Trek to the Ocean (Lisid's Death and !!Science!!), Night 03

This time I am going to play in ASCII, so hopefully everyone can follow along without too many headaches.  If you have questions about something, do ask (or learn ASCII).

I'm a world I genned last night.  It is fresh and virgin.  Medium size, 160 year, advanced parameters.  Bogeys are definitely in, as shown here:

Spoiler: The part we want (click to show/hide)

The world looks like this:

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Civ-Spread Map (click to show/hide)

I picked a human peasant male outsider, not for any real reason but because I am more familiar with them.

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)

As I enter the world, I am here  :D  See where I am?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: And I look like this: (click to show/hide)

[As an after-note:  My raws have small tweaks, mostly in the way the civs act during worldgen.  For instance, gobs and kobolds have religions, and goblin tombs and towers are not quite unheard of.  No creature raws have been touched, except to add my Caccodemon (who is underground and I doubt we will see them).  This is going to play exactly as vanilla DF would, mechanic wise.]

[Edited thread 24NOV12 for typos]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:10:35 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

{I will not be savescumming without explicitly telling you, although I suppose you'd have to take my word for it...}

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Waking up with a start, Lisid grabs his spear. and looks around.  He had heard something - he knew it.  It had been a tough journey, making the trek to the housepeople's lands.  But it was one every male in his tribe must; to prove his maturity and ability to provide for his future family.  Many did not return form these journeys, but those who did were changed, somehow.  They had stories with which to regal the village.  They had scars to boast about.  They had trophies with which they could give to fathers, in hopes of wooing a young maiden.  He would be such a man, Lisid thought as he lay his dagger under his chest within easy reach.  He would become a champion of his people...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Sun rose early the next morning, revealing the landscape exactly as he had left it.  The hamlet lay waiting in the distance, calling for him.  That so many could exist in one place was baffling.  They had no real room to hunt, instead growing berries and living like a deer.  How was that more civilized?  Well, no matter, they were fellow men, and deserved the courtesy of any.  He had no real quarrel with them, even if  they looked down upon him.  He was a mighty warrior, if a little young.

Trotting towards the first house that had no holes in the roofing, Lisid felt good.  His large [msucles] swaying in the wind, drawing the envy of young men and giggles from young women.  "Enjoy it now, for soon I return home to my people,"  Lisid winked at the females.

Entering the house, Lisid finds the servant of the administrator, apparently also a cheese maker.

"I seek to prove my manliness, and gain a worthy trophy!"  Booms Lisid.
"Umm, you... OHhh!  You're from one of them there tribal villages, eh?  Living nomadically and without the glory of the gods.  Well, we are all too busy to go trekking through the mud, so if you go kill Wickedblunted we will give you a BIG trophy.  *snort* One any ape would be proud of!  Be off, we have no time for you, Recruit."
  "Fine, I shall slay this plague upon your society, if only to get back to the company of my tribe sooner."  Lisid nods towards the inattentive administrator and leaves without a formal goodbye.

Walking out of town almost opposite of where he came in, Lisid wonders if the cheese maker knew how close to death he was.  Insults like that could be tolerated, but never forgotten.  Bah, that rude behavior was expected from one who plays with rotting milk.  Foolsih houseman.
  In his thinking Lisid almost steps into a murky pool.  He is about to walk around it when he gets the idea to relax with a nice swim.

After his swim, Lisd continues his pleasant stroll through the wood, pausing only after seeing some keas.  Keas made good roasts.  Sneaking up to a kea, he tosses his dagger at it.

A meaty breakfast before commencing his ugly work would make it all cheerier...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:34:21 am by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

>:( I would update, Mr. Naked actually did all right by me against the half of the camp I found, but photobucket is not letting me upload...

edit: When photobucket fixes itself I shall update and continue, until then only half the camp has been explored!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:23:59 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lisid Wordylions: An ASCII boogeykilling Adventure! (in progress)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:01 pm »

After picking the bird clean {RP value only, bird too small to butcher}, Lisid sneaks off towards the camp.  Knowing bandits, they don't seem the kind to display any form of chivalry.  It was humorous, as a child he'd hear stories of great warriors, and how they defeated armies of minions to defeat an evil foe.  Lisid knew that  civilized armies fought a series of duels until one side lost, but bandits? ha, no such honor.  Scum.

Rousing his thoughts from the internal, Lisid reminded himself he needed to watch for signs of mer.  A telltale track, broken twigs, smo-  Smoke rising in wispy white trails, like the one he just glimpsed upon the blue sky.  Time for Reconnaissance.  hunching over onto all fours as he had been taught by the wolf, Lisid scurried from tree to tree with agility and practiced skill.  He only saw one creature... a green-skinned elf.  What foul mutation would cause this, he wondered.

Taking a rock from the ground, he chucked it at the tiny elf.  It hit home, the naval of the beast, causing it to double over in pain momentarily.  Seizing the moment, Lisid grabbed his dagger and rushed forth and stuck his spear into its belly.  Grabbing it by the head , he then blinded it and ripped out its tounge.  Don't want it alerting any nearby friends.  Pulling out his dagger, he prepares the final blow.  However before the dagger readies itself at the neck the small green creature kicks at Lisid.

Startled and bruised, Lisid jumps back.  Instead of a quick death with its throat slit, it now needed to die in any manner.  Lisid throws the dagger at the greenskin, watching it plunge through the cranium and kill the ugly thing.  hopefully nothing was alerted...

[I used tinypic... I didn't sign into it, so I do not know if the pics will be taken down in the future... will it?]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:37:57 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:50 pm »

Searching over the landscape quickly Lisid finds two immediately obvious bags of loot.  Wonder what was in those, Lisid ponders?

In either bag Lisid finds enough armour to cover his whole body!  Joyous news, as the mightiest wound could be reduced with proper attire.  This was surely enough of a trophy to bring home with both honor and dignity.

Tossing aside the bags after putting on the waterskin and quiver, Lisid feels as a true warrior must.  {TIP, quivers are an outsiders backpack!}
  Inquisitively searching the rest of the camp Lisid wonders what's lurking down the hill.  No sooner does he than does a dwarf, no doubt hungry for any drink that must be fireside, start walking up the hill, catching Lisid red-handed!

Spoiler: oh shit.... (click to show/hide)

Walking down the rest of the hill on which he had been fighting, he views the full extent of his combat:

Does it feel good to be a warrior... how, brutally efficient.

{And this is where we are.  Ill probably do some tomorrow in the morning...Take us to the night, which is starting to fall even as he murders the bandits who would provide immunity to boogeys...}
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:55:59 am »

After briefly meditating on the events of the last day, Lisid grabs his dagger from the base of the tree and slips it into his new quiver.

Sneaking southward, Lisid find five more bandits, surprisingly close.  How was he to defeat five trained warriors?  Four of them were elves who bore the odd greenskin mutation.  In fact, he was beginning to believe them to be a new species of elf itself.  Well, he would ask around town.  He was certainly not asking the greenbacks themselves...

In a flash of insight, Lisid lines up the two furthest greenskined elves and found a pile of stones.  Tossing them at the mutations, he found they could neither stand up to the barrage nor catch their breath enough to call for help.  When they both fell he silently speared them through.  Good, four down, three to go.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:40:34 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

Before I made things able to have civs, I used to have pains with the lack of backpacks as an outsider, however, after searching long enough (usually in dungeons and such) I HAVE managed to obtain a backpack eventually. Pain in the ass though.

What is with all these green elves anyway?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »

[Goblins, but I am trying to pretend Lisid has never heard of a goblin before.  Gobs are kind of small, green, twisted elves.]

Taking the quiver of silver arrows off the greenskin corpse, Lisid quietly loots anything else that might be throwable and hides behind a tree to find that other bowelf he saw.  There it was, hiding in the crevice, as if it sensed something.  Well, sensed him, of course.

placing his spear on his back, tethered to his quiver of arrows, Lisid lines up at shot at the bowman and....
  Feels a sudden sting in his arm.  in?  Looking down sees his arm oozing blood, copper arrow sticking out.  They saw him!  The sneaks!  Bolting for cover, Lisid decides up is better than down.  Seemingly in anticipation, a green swordself follows him and engages.

Lisid Goes to grab his down opponent, to deliver the final blow, but he finds his arm unwilling to cooperate {fuck, is it broken?}!  Pulling out the arrow and throwing it at his opponent, Lisid blindly runs for the nearest cover he could find, where he slaughtered the dwarf.  Once the he immediately ducks behind a tree and surveys his wounds.

That's odd, when was he hit in the chest?  "Well, it doesn't hurt, just throbs, so at least I can still fight" Lisid praises the Sun God.  Speaking of Sun...

He wanted this task completed by sunset.  His tribe always had a taboo about being active after dark, and stories of skinless horrors sent from the depths to drag you into a deep chasm were often told to the children.  Not that he was any longer a child, but the fear was present, nonetheless...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:42:58 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »

I appreciate that you use the ASCII tileset - graphic sets are terrible in adventurer mode - but the grass and stone tiles are messed up because you didn't undo all the changes that Phoebus made. To get the default ASCII, I think you'd have to replace inorganic_metal, inorganic_other, plant_grasses and plant_standard with the vanilla files.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 01:46:55 pm »

[you may as well be speaking French.  Graphics are the one thing I've never messed with in this game.  When I switched my tile set back to default for private purposes I saw this and I assumed this was default.  In any case, I deleted any remnants of phoebus' tileset, and manually overwrote the raw\objects files with the above listed names.]

[Also, this is where Ill stop for the day. Probably see to it on Monday.]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:43:27 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »

That looks better. I think if you replace inorganic_stone_layer and inorganic_stone_soil too, everything should be back to normal.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:54 am »

[I just did that.  In fact, I deleted then copy/pasted all the inorganics][Just want to say I should from now on play one roguelike at a time.]

Lisid flexed his fingers.  Only with great pain could they be budged from their limp fisted position.  It was clearly not usable, at least for the time being.  The copper spear would have to carry the day alone.  Or would it?  He was still an expert at hiding as the wolf.

Pulling an arrow from his quiver, Lisid aims at the mark with great caution.  This shot could mean his life or death.  With a flick of the wrist he launches the silver arrow.  Miss!  It hits the tree to the right of the chieftess.  At least she hadn't noticed him yet.  Unsheathing another arrow, Lisid tries again.  Miss! confoundit, it hit the ground in front of the dwarven warrior.  She was clearly getting suspicious.  Would she expect him to come back for her so soon?
  Drawing his breathe and holding it, Lisid attempts a third shot.  Focusing all his energy into this throw, Lisid throws another silver arrow.  It flies true, and lands in the chieftess' throat!

Growing excited, Lisid creeps forth toward his dying mark.  In error he steps on a twig, alerting the ever-dangerous bowman.  He earns a shot in the belly as a reward, and quickly retreats down the hill to the shadows of the trees.  Before long he heard the bemoaning of the surviving bandits as their leader perished.  He had won, however it was done...

Lisids stats as of now

His health

[I had my doubts about winning this one, honestly.  I think I may have time to heal at least his arm, to use both hands.  I will not be trying to kill the two surviving bandits.]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:44:24 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 12:04:40 pm »

I am now known as:  Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanche!  Bossin' name 8)
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »

As Lisid leaves the area of the camp, he can see the Sun skim the tree line.  A growing restlessness gnaws at his torn stomach.  Perhaps that was just his hunger getting to him.  The kea was rather lean.  In an attempt to sate his growing hunger Lisid drink is the blood flowing from his own naval.  He doubts the effect this will have.

Pushing on, Lisid ignores the cold rain as it begins to drizzle down his back.  When did that start, Lisid dimly wonders.

A thin cold mist envelopes Lisid as the sun sinks lower.  An aura of surrealism seems to settle upon the land, and soon Lisid can no longer distinguish between shadow and motion.  Dropping down into a three-point walk, Lisid attempts to remain hidden from whatever lurks the darkness.  Are the shadows alive, or are his wounds weakening his fortitude?

As the dusk deepens, the urge to run back to town intensifies.  Something was surely watching him.  With his peripherals firing, Lisid Clutches his spear tightly and attempts to note any difference.  A rustling in the brush startles Lisid suddenly; he jumps uncontrollably.  A wombat emerges, sniffing out its next meal.  Lisid decides that his next has arrived as well...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:45:39 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »

The wombat is not match for Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanche ( 8) )!  ripping the skull apart Lisid quickly scoops the delicious brain matter into his mouth as fast as he can.  His hunger satiated, he looks into his quivers for a sharp blade.  Having lost his large dagger, Lisid briefly panics, before seeing a rather large silver sword he had stashed before he became a pincushion.  Perfect.  Although it took some doing, Lisid had managed to both hold a longsword and the wombat corpse in one hand while butchering the wombat.  It provides more meat that he cares to hold.  Having only one functional hand only makes it harder to pack the meat up.  He decides to eat the sweetbread, liver, and brains, while pocketing the chewy fat and tough muscle (12 count each).

[Classworks getting the way of gaming :( .]
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5