Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 62533 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #315 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:13 am »

The amorpheous cell blob develops chemical means of communication and specialized cells to secret/uptake them.  These cells cluster into small groups.  This has the effect of promoting/inhibiting local cell growth and altering the mucous producing cells so they make secrete a mucous destroying compound.  The communication cells respond mainly to each other and chemical proximity, but trigger a split if toxic levels get too high.

Whole groups of the blobs may now split from one another, although shape is not nesscessarily constant.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:17:18 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2012, 10:11:28 am »

Or it will cause a chainreaction and result in an ice age. Ice is very good at reflecting stuff, after all.
Nah, the CO2 will trap a bit of heat, melt some ice which releases more trapped CO2 in a chain reaction until either the planet experiences flooding or something affects the planet to freeze a large portion of the CO2 allowing the planet to cool, freezing more CO2.
I was talking about the ice layer. Suddenly freezing a large part of the surface will tremendously increase the albedo, drop water vapour levels and plunge the planet into icebal mode, quite probably killing all surface life.

Co2 doesn't freeze, at least not at the expected temperature drop.
no, but CO2 is trapped in the freezing ice.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:47 am »

Or it will cause a chainreaction and result in an ice age. Ice is very good at reflecting stuff, after all.
Nah, the CO2 will trap a bit of heat, melt some ice which releases more trapped CO2 in a chain reaction until either the planet experiences flooding or something affects the planet to freeze a large portion of the CO2 allowing the planet to cool, freezing more CO2.
I was talking about the ice layer. Suddenly freezing a large part of the surface will tremendously increase the albedo, drop water vapour levels and plunge the planet into icebal mode, quite probably killing all surface life.

Co2 doesn't freeze, at least not at the expected temperature drop.
no, but CO2 is trapped in the freezing ice.
Won't have an influence on the climate, because it's the concentration of Co2 that matters, not the absolute amount. At least if you're not freezing the entire athmosphere.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2012, 12:38:29 pm »

Actions
>Promote population increase in the Yisfjlelh species.
>Increase size of Yisfjlelh.
>Promote creation of primitive organs within the Yisfjlelh, or, if the cells are not specialized enough for that, promote further specialization.
>Promote further symbiosis between multi-cellular, colonial-based macrophages (from here on out refered to as virovores) and the Yisfjlelh species.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:52 pm »

Increase vulcanism to keep black smokers alive and thriving. More.

((We already have plenty of life, what are you doing with the comet?))

Hello... Dry Ice. Frozen CO2.
((Then why expand the ice sheets? The CO2 in the atmosphere will just cause them to melt.))

The comet is not going to arrive for 2 whole turns. No need to worry about that yet.

As for how life will survive, volcanos will melt small areas and life can live there. And you WILL thank me for this, trust me. Think about it... What is water made of?

P.S.: Posting from Wii.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:32 pm »

60% ocean planet. remember. We already got water.

Besides, ice is water too.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »

Increase vulcanism to keep black smokers alive and thriving. More.

((We already have plenty of life, what are you doing with the comet?))

Hello... Dry Ice. Frozen CO2.
((Then why expand the ice sheets? The CO2 in the atmosphere will just cause them to melt.))

The comet is not going to arrive for 2 whole turns. No need to worry about that yet.

And you WILL thank me for this, trust me.

Think about it... What is water made of?

That comet has the ability to kill off most, if not all life forms near the surface.  Having the domain of Life, I will be obligated to stop it.

No, I am pretty sure we would not.

H20 most likely.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2012, 03:31:46 pm »

And I having the domain of water will not like this. . . stealing my ice.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:42 pm »

While I can see what your plan is, it comes several turns to late. We already got surface life and multicellular lifes. We're on our way to fullblown photosythetic and oxygen life.

(Also, the icemeteor is supposedly harmless, by being broken up. Even then, there are better ways of getting Co2. Like volcanoes)

Speaking of which:

Some cell clusters mix with DNA sharing procariotes. This has a significant influence on their development. Thanks to the rapid exchange of DNa, evolution in the clusters is arcelerate, and primitive specialization starts to occur. The outermost cells start to compartementalise, and more importantly, learn to make use of the wondrous resource that is oxygen.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »

Hey, were are we with all the cool biolgoical/genetic achievements?  Where is the life?  Still in the oceans, ya?

Jellys and GWGs creations are the only proper multicelled organisms?
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 11, 2012, 04:01:57 pm »

I suppose so. The Jellies are a bit asynchronous, but we'll manage.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 11, 2012, 04:15:56 pm »

ZU, God of wandering, arrives, taking a small number of surface sponges to play with, allowing these to collect water to keep themselves hydrated as they grow further inland

((or is that a bad idea?))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 11, 2012, 04:18:29 pm »

These are not your industrial sponges. They're real sponges. No water retainment capabilites. Should start with them living on the coasts(tidals), then moving them farther inland. Should work after some time, provided these are the photosynthetic sponges and not the other ones.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:23:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:19 pm »

((I understand. I was not thinking of industrial sponges. (and there are photosynthetic ones on this planet? nice to know.) I meant like water sort of like how we sweat, stored in it more like animals than industrial sponges. like being able to survive longer in areas where the tide is high less often.

I can do something else if this is bad idea))

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 11, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »

While I can see what your plan is, it comes several turns to late. We already got surface life and multicellular lifes. We're on our way to fullblown photosythetic and oxygen life.

I Dont see what you're talking about... I'll just explain. Sunlight hits the icesheet, breaking the H2O dwon into H2O2. This then decomposes into more H2O and... Drum roll please... O2!!! This can be so successful in fact that the percentage of oxygen in the earth's atmosphere increased from 2% to 21% over the course of the Snowball Earth phase.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28