Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 61304 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #360 on: December 13, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »

There's also the habitat problem. Aside from the smoker creatures and my tide-pool critters, most things live "in the ocean." Even if the 40% or so of la d never divides the world into separate seas, there's some separation of creatures by climate and such. Big examples: Corals only live in tropical waters, krill only live in cold waters. Plus, land could block spreading creatures when combined with climatic changes, and even water depth can be a barrier to various critters, so we've got a bunch of habitat issues.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »

There's also the habitat problem. Aside from the smoker creatures and my tide-pool critters, most things live "in the ocean."

Which is why I am attempting to create a creature "in the sky over the oceans."
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 13, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »

There's also the habitat problem. Aside from the smoker creatures and my tide-pool critters, most things live "in the ocean."
Missed that, suspecting that it's too early. What is it evolving from and how does it fly?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 13, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »

Missed that, suspecting that it's too early. What is it evolving from and how does it fly?

It's evolving from the Ysfejlelh and is able to fly due to an increased capacity to hold gas in the chambers around the body.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:56 pm »

It's evolving from the Ysfejlelh and is able to fly due to an increased capacity to hold gas in the chambers around the body.
What gas(es)?
Sig

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »

*Names The stars Solis Major and Solis Minor. Thats Latin for Large Sun and Small Sun.*

*Gives a random selection of all the animals new organelles, made out of the local prokaryotes, that focus on turning stored energy into a form the cells machinary can immediately use: The first Mitochondria.*

*I also harness the viruses to spread the ability to sence light to as many surface creatures as possible.*
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 13, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »

We don't have mitochondria yet?
Sig

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »

We don't have mitochondria yet?
Not that I'm aware of, no.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

If it lives on dust or is small enough. . .  The idea is it could stay airborne provided it found food. and didn't mind the freezing cold, limited oxygen atmosphere, and violent winds (which would keep it upwards in the stratosphere).

The poisonous primordial soup eukaryotes select for small colonies to gain a  speed advantage.  Different cells within the colony evolve to perceive two or three specific colors based upon its effect on a vesicle lined with specific proteins.  This allows the group to specialize and creates a need to share data as a whole.  The need to coordinate such specialized activities leads to fixed colony positions and a select group of cells that controls division.  Running through the center of the colony, these cells use elongated messenger cells to carry signals over the colony and bring in fresh nutrients to feed them in the middle.  The messenger cells have no direct contact to the outside, but instead have dedicated 'servant' nutrient uptake cells (and waste removal).

As such, the damage to many of the messenger's 'servant' cells could threaten the integrity of the whole colony via uncontrolled growth.  The control center of the colony is not a brain to control individual cells or parts of the colony but has the task of regulating the colony as of a governing body, much as a government may regulate its citizens without being its citizens.  If it gets too large the poisons in the colony threaten to overwhelm the resistant-but-not-immune cells.  Upon abundant food, a small aggration of cells is budded from the main colony in a tumultuous process that leaves the whole colony exposed and temporarily vulnerable.

If we are doing the habitat/prey/predator bit, than it lives in shallow ocean, possesses some locomotive capacity, and hunts larger cell colonies.  It uses its poisonous compounds to kills indiscriminately by proximity, uptaking the dead via the 'servant' cells.  It is preyed upon by the true multi-celled animals, esp. any poison resistant jellies.

EDIT: Since I suppose the poison should be specificed.  I didn't make them, I think GWG did, so unless he or somebody objects it'll be Chloride.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:46:45 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 13, 2012, 07:05:34 pm »

What gas(es)?

I am not quite sure, truthfully.  I never specified what the gases were, and the GM never argued.  If the water is the earth-like H2O, then the gas might be H or H2.  I would prefer to think it would be H2 due to the chemical bond causing the hydrogen to not react extremely quickly, but I'm not entirely sure that is stable.  If the 'water' is something other than H2O (which I doubt) the gas would need to be something else.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »

Methane, solves everything
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 14, 2012, 12:55:40 am »

Some surface sponges adapt to the hardships of land by a tweak in the intercellular medium holding the colony together. It becomes more and more rigid, and end up being completely solid. An armature that prevent the colony from being crushed by its own weight (with no water to bear it), and in the same time retain moisture inside small canals.

(maybe a list of creatures somewhere in the first posts? with description.)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 14, 2012, 02:59:21 am »

Heh, I can't resist! If nobody's claimed Light and Plants, I'll be Mazor!

Some of the photosynthetic Algae wash onto the rocky shoreline and enventually evolve thick cell walls that allow them to better be able to stay out of the water for extended periods of time, and specialized cells that excrete a sticky protein that allows them to cling to rock. Eventually the products of photosynthesis and decay from dead algae will start to erode shorelines into more sandy beaches

Appears you missed this
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2012, 07:01:51 am »

Oh. Maybe. This thread is such a (glorious) mess  ::)

Anyway, "thick cell wall" mean plant-like support (I think). I meant coral-like.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2012, 07:19:59 am »

Some surface sponges adapt to the hardships of land by a tweak in the intercellular medium holding the colony together. It becomes more and more rigid, and end up being completely solid. An armature that prevent the colony from being crushed by its own weight (with no water to bear it), and in the same time retain moisture inside small canals.

(maybe a list of creatures somewhere in the first posts? with description.)
I think that's "surface of the water" sponges.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28