Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 61311 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #375 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »

sponges float? I assumed he meant any living in the shallows, excluding tidal pools.

Now I get to go about my day with the image of a dish-sponge (with one side green brillo) floating along in an ocean under a stormy apocolyptic sky. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 14, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

((ooh. I should get more involved when there are more things. I realize I am not a planet making god and you are all doing amazing. X3)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 14, 2012, 02:20:38 pm »

Lol, I just do my thing, nice and slowly.  :P No one even notices what I'm doing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 14, 2012, 04:35:20 pm »

sponges float? I assumed he meant any living in the shallows, excluding tidal pools.

Now I get to go about my day with the image of a dish-sponge (with one side green brillo) floating along in an ocean under a stormy apocolyptic sky. . .
I'm pretty sure they're an offshoot of the poripinnans...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 14, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »

Lol, I just do my thing, nice and slowly.  :P No one even notices what I'm doing.

okay. then should there be a pantheon for invisible gods? X3

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:25 am »

Hey, I'm, back! And this time, I DO have an excuse! How new is that? Well, private life put me into a mood in which I didn't quite feel like managing this forum game... But now I'm back! And I'll try to update every couple days, when a suffiecient amount of posts is amassed. Alright, here we go.

Welll....

The colonies does thrive and start to specialize even more!

1 : Move cells = They're the "motors" of the colonies, having many flagellas.
2 : Link cells = These cells are tunnels and connections to all cells.
3 : Breeder cells = These cells are the only cells in the colony capable of mitosis. They produce link cells and move cells, as well daughter blobs, which mature inside the mother colony. They make a second "layer" of cells, so the effects of the border cells are maximized.
4 : Eye cells = Photosensitive, they can detect light. They send the information to other cell types, make them act differently. Too much sunlight, the colony swims away to hinder starvation. Too dark, they swim towards the sunlight to feed on it more effectivly.
5 : "Green" cells = Full of chloroplasts! Make sugar and transform it into starch.
6 : Storage cells = Are part of the second layer too. They store the starch and digest it for the other cells.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just how the first layer looks like.
green = green cells (duh)
Black = Move cells
brown = Eye cells

The cells specialize in the many ways that you describe! The colonies could already be considered proper, multi-cellular organisms! They could be considered something inbetween plants and animals. If we were to ever find something like this on other planets, we shouldn't be surprised. Here on Earth we have two main lineages of life: plants and animals. They both have their distinct signs. If we find something that combines some signs of the two, we shouldn't be surprised, as I said already. Good enough for a new name. Any ideas?

I can see no brown eyespots. . .

A little comment on the eyesposts: I'm not sure, but it seems like you guys are aiming for a similar configuration of senses like we have here, on this planet. Whatever, it's up to you! Also, a little side comment: Not so unrealistic for eyes to evolve here aswell. The complex eye evolved several times independently! Some examples: vertebrate eyes, arthrophod eyes, mollusk eyes... I could go on. And in some cases, the end products work almost exaclty the same way! For example, compare the human eye and the octopus eye. They both have a lens, a layer of light sensitive cells... They are almost exactly identical, so I see no reason why eyes as we know them couldn't evolve on other planets with complex life on them.

2-3 mm. Pretty large.

A reasonable size for a cell colony.

I know, what I am posting will be a large step, but will begin an interesting situation.

Actions
>Increase size of the Yisfjlelh to a 2-3 cm radius (I am guessing that they are a few dozen millimeters by now, but I would like to be corrected if this assumption is false.)
>Develop the primitive organs further. (I'd like a readout of what stage this is at.)
>Have the Yisfjlelh develop a proto-brain. (I'd consider that this would be far enough to start a new species.  Name: Drinlor)
>Have the Drinlors able to survive outside of water by increasing the gases in their air cavities to float, have the circulatory system become a closed system, having the mouth able to close with enough strength that water inside does not fall out, and have it develop the behavior to dive into the water to collect more nutrient filled water to replace it's used water.
>Have the Drinlors develop an organ that Virovores can enter when the nutrient-deprived water is going to be dumped.

>Yes, they were pretty tiny, a centimeter at most. Now they have grown and developed a very primitive circulatory system for nutrients to flow around their body!
>Until now, they only had a chamber for digesting and for immunity/defense, a couple of small propulsion chambers and the gas-filled chambers for floating. Now they need a primitive pump to pump the fluid around. It's still an open circulatory system, obviously.
>They develop a clump of nerves... somewhere in their body. They don't seem to have a specified head. Whatever. From that main clump of nerves all the other body functions are regulated.
>Wow, a closed circulatory system already? Alright... The digesting chamber separates into two, the one for digestion, the other one for keeping nutrients and the virovores around when going on land and for switching out the nutrient-deprived water for water with nutrients and plankton-like stuff in it, to keep it fed.

Interesting developments!

Axeroth gets to work again...

The communicating cell colonies begin to enlarge and specialize. Some develop tentacles on their outer surfaces. They drift about, snagging food with their tentacles a la cnidarians. They are Capillusalcyoneumites, probably the longest name given so far.
Viridipetrans develop leaflike appendages and the ability to survive better with parts of its body out of water. They grow partly out of water at times.
Some provenators are swept out of the tide pools into the open ocean and promptly evolve to prey upon the local creatures, including a modification of some of its claws into finlike appendages. I'll let the GM name these.
Finally, some poisonous cell colonies begin to develop actual structure, becoming elongated creatures with two layers of cells. The inner layer is specialized in feeding and reproduction, while the outer layer specializes in locomotion and defense. They are the Vedmiculums, and their half-millimeter forms wriggle through the sea, filtering out smaller plankton and such. The poisonous organelles within are used for defense.

((There's no such thing as enough rare elements! Not until gold is used in bullets and silver is a foundation for houses!))

The... things with the long name develop, and so do the viridipterans (I thought they were mobile?). The protovenators swept into the oceans also develop. And you let me name them? Thank you, it's an honor! If you meant me, that is. I'm not very good at english acronyms :P I name them... Marevenators! Because mare means sea and all that... Sigh, I should stop explaining the obvious. The poisonous cells start to form colonies and later proper, poisonous organisms. Only this time, they don't produce toxins in poison glands or anything like that, no. The toxins form inside every single one of their cells...

As the Foracome eat the Ysfejlelh, there are changes ecosystem, They begin to get larger, to compensate for their prey's increase in size, and also begin to hunt they specialized cell colonies to increase time between meals.

The foracomes form colonies. That's gonna be one hell of a predator.

can someone(s) make a food chain diagram? this is getting complicated...

I made something that should clear up the most confusing part of it... It's not complete, but I'll add the more complicated food relations to it later on.

There's also the habitat problem. Aside from the smoker creatures and my tide-pool critters, most things live "in the ocean." Even if the 40% or so of la d never divides the world into separate seas, there's some separation of creatures by climate and such. Big examples: Corals only live in tropical waters, krill only live in cold waters. Plus, land could block spreading creatures when combined with climatic changes, and even water depth can be a barrier to various critters, so we've got a bunch of habitat issues.

Here's the problem at least mostly solved: The "tide-pools" are actually large inland seas. The two moons can cause gigantic floods from time to time. There must be a lot of salt lakes inland. The habitats are mostly fused this way. Also, the environment isn't very stable at all. The moons cause quite some trouble. The axis wobbles all the time.

*Names The stars Solis Major and Solis Minor. Thats Latin for Large Sun and Small Sun.*

*Gives a random selection of all the animals new organelles, made out of the local prokaryotes, that focus on turning stored energy into a form the cells machinary can immediately use: The first Mitochondria.*

*I also harness the viruses to spread the ability to sence light to as many surface creatures as possible.*

FINALLY! The names for the stars! Well, we're already up to the multi-cellular stages of life. There are mitochondria-like organelles in the eukaryotic cells already. Not sure if I understood what you're trying to do right, but I have a question: How do viruses help at the development of sight?

Which is why I am attempting to create a creature "in the sky over the oceans."
If it lives on dust or is small enough. . .  The idea is it could stay airborne provided it found food. and didn't mind the freezing cold, limited oxygen atmosphere, and violent winds (which would keep it upwards in the stratosphere).

The poisonous primordial soup eukaryotes select for small colonies to gain a  speed advantage.  Different cells within the colony evolve to perceive two or three specific colors based upon its effect on a vesicle lined with specific proteins.  This allows the group to specialize and creates a need to share data as a whole.  The need to coordinate such specialized activities leads to fixed colony positions and a select group of cells that controls division.  Running through the center of the colony, these cells use elongated messenger cells to carry signals over the colony and bring in fresh nutrients to feed them in the middle.  The messenger cells have no direct contact to the outside, but instead have dedicated 'servant' nutrient uptake cells (and waste removal).

As such, the damage to many of the messenger's 'servant' cells could threaten the integrity of the whole colony via uncontrolled growth.  The control center of the colony is not a brain to control individual cells or parts of the colony but has the task of regulating the colony as of a governing body, much as a government may regulate its citizens without being its citizens.  If it gets too large the poisons in the colony threaten to overwhelm the resistant-but-not-immune cells.  Upon abundant food, a small aggration of cells is budded from the main colony in a tumultuous process that leaves the whole colony exposed and temporarily vulnerable.

If we are doing the habitat/prey/predator bit, than it lives in shallow ocean, possesses some locomotive capacity, and hunts larger cell colonies.  It uses its poisonous compounds to kills indiscriminately by proximity, uptaking the dead via the 'servant' cells.  It is preyed upon by the true multi-celled animals, esp. any poison resistant jellies.

EDIT: Since I suppose the poison should be specificed.  I didn't make them, I think GWG did, so unless he or somebody objects it'll be Chloride.

Yup, GWG already created colonies from the cells and those dveloped into small organisms. But I'll take this post as an expanding post upon GWG's, explaining much more carefully how the colonies work. Feel free to develop your own organisms from this common ancestor.

THE- You know already, I think.

The diagram explaining the probably most complicated part of life right now. I might expand it in the future.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2012, 11:39:00 am »

>Increase size of drinlors to 5-6 cm.
>Increase capacity of gas chambers. (the drinlors will fly!)
>Develop the brain to be able to process basic instinct and grouping behaviors.
>Develop the organs further.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:45 am »

......WHY WAS MY POST OVERLOOKED AGAIN?!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 19, 2012, 03:53:59 pm »

The diagram's image link seems to be broken.

Action later.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »

...*slow clap*
I am impressed with this forum game, Bay12. No-where else would you find something this sophisticated.

Anyway, I will be joining as Cizin, God of Earthquakes and Radiation. I may make some small modification to life-forms, but I expect to join in more fully once some form of society develops.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:39 pm »

Which is the creature with methane sacs?
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 19, 2012, 10:55:59 pm »

Azeroth prepares again.

Vermiculums develop branches in their ends. Basically, they're now swimming worms with tentacles. The posterior tentacles are wider and used to help with swimming, while the anterior tentacles are longer and used for feeding.
Capillusalcyoneumites start to enhance their senses. In addition to tentacles specialized in catching food, there are also tentacles specialized in detecting light, detecting certain scents, and sensing electricity.
Marevenators evolve true, complete digestive tracts, including some symbiotic microbes derived from parasitic poripinnans.
Algae start going beyond mats and becoming actual, structured plants. These new kelipformes, as I'll call them, are mostly confined to coastal waters, but access to both nutrients in the seafloor and the sunlight from above gives them an advantage. They mostly have roots and photosynthetic stuff, not much in the way of leaves or stems. Yet.
Viridipetrans start tomove into fresher waters, even in swamps.

That's all that comes to mind for now.
Sig

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »

Which is the creature with methane sacs?

There are no creatures with methane.  My creatures might be what you are refering to, but instead of methane, they use H2, which does not explode as easily.  And the names are Yisfjlelh (the ones in the water), and the Drinlors (the ones with a proto-brain and fly in the sky).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:27:39 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:11 pm »

*Names The stars Solis Major and Solis Minor. Thats Latin for Large Sun and Small Sun.*

*Gives a random selection of all the animals new organelles, made out of the local prokaryotes, that focus on turning stored energy into a form the cells machinary can immediately use: The first Mitochondria.*

*I also harness the viruses to spread the ability to sence light to as many surface creatures as possible.*

FINALLY! The names for the stars! Well, we're already up to the multi-cellular stages of life. There are mitochondria-like organelles in the eukaryotic cells already. Not sure if I understood what you're trying to do right, but I have a question: How do viruses help at the development of sight?

Simple: use them to transfer the necessary genes from organism to orginsism.

*If the Ice Sheets havent already melted, get them started.*

*Starts eroding Zanzetkuken's Island, spreading the metals throughout the crust.*

*Pulls one of the local astaroids into a Horseshoe Orbit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_orbit*
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:00 am »

*Starts eroding Zanzetkuken's Island, spreading the metals throughout the crust.*

Limit erosion to only being able to cause the island to reduce the land area to a size of 2 miles square and no less.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28