Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 61302 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #390 on: December 21, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »

*Starts eroding Zanzetkuken's Island, spreading the metals throughout the crust.*

Limit erosion to only being able to cause the island to reduce the land area to a size of 2 miles square and no less.

Not a problem. Never meant to totally destroy it.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 21, 2012, 03:16:04 pm »

I will rest.

I had done enough. You guys can do the whole evolution stuff.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 21, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »

*Starts eroding Zanzetkuken's Island, spreading the metals throughout the crust.*

Limit erosion to only being able to cause the island to reduce the land area to a size of 2 miles square and no less.

Not a problem. Never meant to totally destroy it.

Can't be too careful.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 25, 2012, 12:58:32 pm »

Wow, I only wanted to wait a couple days for the posts to amass. But the few days quickly evolved into a GODDAMN WEEK. Or so. Oh well. I'm sorry. Anyways, I hope you guys had a good doomsday, a merry christmas, happy hanukkah, happy holidays, whatever you choose to celebrate. I even have a present for you! An INCREDIBLY gorgeous and detailed, procedurally generated universe simulator, for those of you who didn't hear about it. Space Engine. Here's a link: en.spaceengine.org/
It's completely free and it's actually made by only one guy, Vladimir Romanyuk from Russia. It's only one guy, as far as I know. If you aren't speechless yet, go watch some videos. Seriously, check it out. Back on topic..

>Increase size of drinlors to 5-6 cm.
>Increase capacity of gas chambers. (the drinlors will fly!)
>Develop the brain to be able to process basic instinct and grouping behaviors.
>Develop the organs further.

Heh, now they maybe deserve a new spot on THE TREE OF LIFE. The very basic clump of nerves develops into a more sophisticated organ to manage all the other body functions and they actually develop a basic memory! The organs become more sophisticated over the generations aswell.

......WHY WAS MY POST OVERLOOKED AGAIN?!

Oh, I'm quite sorry about that... It was a lot of posts the last time, forgive me. Here it is!

Heh, I can't resist! If nobody's claimed Light and Plants, I'll be Mazor!

Some of the photosynthetic Algae wash onto the rocky shoreline and enventually evolve thick cell walls that allow them to better be able to stay out of the water for extended periods of time, and specialized cells that excrete a sticky protein that allows them to cling to rock. Eventually the products of photosynthesis and decay from dead algae will start to erode shorelines into more sandy beaches

Appears you missed this

The algae develop the adaptations needed to hold out on land! They can actually survive quite far inland when washed out there in one of the gigantic tides. That means a bigger amount of plant life can live on the planet at once! And that means, a bit more oxygen. Hmm... Can't find the spot for the algae on THE TREE OF LIFE. I'll make a new one, plus this one for the land algae. The first land plant life!

...*slow clap*
I am impressed with this forum game, Bay12. No-where else would you find something this sophisticated.

Anyway, I will be joining as Cizin, God of Earthquakes and Radiation. I may make some small modification to life-forms, but I expect to join in more fully once some form of society develops.

Welcome aboard! Also, thanks, I tried to make this forum game on the ArmorGames forums, but it got populated MOSTLY by uneducated idiots and I never got satisfied with the game itself. It never had the level of detail I wanted it to have, and it never could, because it would just drive away most of the players. Anyone want the links to the threads, just for funsies? Yes, I created a bunch of threads. Five, I think.

Azeroth prepares again.

Vermiculums develop branches in their ends. Basically, they're now swimming worms with tentacles. The posterior tentacles are wider and used to help with swimming, while the anterior tentacles are longer and used for feeding.
Capillusalcyoneumites start to enhance their senses. In addition to tentacles specialized in catching food, there are also tentacles specialized in detecting light, detecting certain scents, and sensing electricity.
Marevenators evolve true, complete digestive tracts, including some symbiotic microbes derived from parasitic poripinnans.
Algae start going beyond mats and becoming actual, structured plants. These new kelipformes, as I'll call them, are mostly confined to coastal waters, but access to both nutrients in the seafloor and the sunlight from above gives them an advantage. They mostly have roots and photosynthetic stuff, not much in the way of leaves or stems. Yet.
Viridipetrans start tomove into fresher waters, even in swamps.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

The tentacles prove very practical! A logical path for evolution. The... things with the long name... develop more advanced senses! For example the eye... spots? Can't really call them spots when they're on the tentacles, but whatever. The marevenators develop complete digestive tracts, and they become new homes for anaerobic bacteria that help digestion! The first farts in the history of this planet... A memorable moment. The viridipterans adapt to swampy terrain, but they can't move around very effectively, because of all the algae vegetation... They need help to move around in the water! (I suppose that's why you sent them into the swamps... And I think we both know what my THAT'S WHY meant.) The algae, already adapted to life on land, develop into larger organisms, mat-like structures, able to grow into sizes that will cover whole beaches.

*Names The stars Solis Major and Solis Minor. Thats Latin for Large Sun and Small Sun.*

*Gives a random selection of all the animals new organelles, made out of the local prokaryotes, that focus on turning stored energy into a form the cells machinary can immediately use: The first Mitochondria.*

*I also harness the viruses to spread the ability to sence light to as many surface creatures as possible.*

FINALLY! The names for the stars! Well, we're already up to the multi-cellular stages of life. There are mitochondria-like organelles in the eukaryotic cells already. Not sure if I understood what you're trying to do right, but I have a question: How do viruses help at the development of sight?

Simple: use them to transfer the necessary genes from organism to orginsism.

*If the Ice Sheets havent already melted, get them started.*

*Pulls one of the local astaroids into a Horseshoe Orbit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_orbit*

Hmm, almost forgot about the viral DNA. Alright. The ice sheets are quite unstable, because the axis shifts all the time... Also, the first time I heard of a horshoe orbit, very interesting, thanks for informing me! You pull an asteroid into a horseshoe orbit. Parts of the island erode into the sea, making it even more acidic. But the local life is adapted to this already, so no harm was done.

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (80%), Carbon Dioxide (9%), Oxygen (10%), Other gases (Argon, water vapor etc.) (0.8%), Sulfur dioxide (0.2%), 1.0 ATM
Axis: 12°
Water covering: 60% of the surface, quite unstable climate, warming
Geology: Active, Earth-like
Moons:
Tranquility:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Dead
Ignisterra:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Volatile, Io-like

The food diagram, for the partial explanation of one of the more complicated parts of this planet's ecosystem (Sorry, the link was broken the last time, and thanks to GWG for pointing it out.):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THE TREE(s) OF LIFE:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S.: I have a fishbone stuck, somewhere deep inside my mouth... Any advice on how to get it out of there is highly appreciated. I can't get to it with my finger either... Ugh. Sorry, if this disgusted you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 25, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »

HI, I must say, Diagram, STILL NOT WORKING.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 25, 2012, 01:19:08 pm »

The land algae dvelop primitive tube-like fibers similar to a root that helps them cling even better to the ground while asbsorbing nutrients and water from their surroundings. Some take this further by becoming nothing but fibers, losing their photosynthesis in exchange for the ability of getting nutrients they need from decaying algae.

Meanwhile, some of the algae in the shallower waters become anchored to the seafloor, growing larger and eventually developing the same primitive fibers as their land cousins
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:23:40 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 25, 2012, 02:05:51 pm »

I was intending for the algae with structure to be like kelp. Hence noting the seafloor. And "coastal waters." And "kelpiformes." They were supposed to be descended from the normal algae.

Anyways.

Some of the poisonous cell colonies develop into polyps. These creatures are called cnidotoxes.
Some viridipetrans grow out of the swamps, base in the water but branches in the air. They also develop leaflike structures. They begin to develop into something vaguely similar to bushes in general shape and function. These are called aeroculums.
Some land algae develop waxy coatings and other adaptations to let them spread further onto land.
The marevenators begin to develop larger. Some reach almost 10 centimeters! Many actually become herbivorous, nibbling on kelpiformes and other autotrophs. They also start to develop a notochord-like structure.

That's all I can think of right now.

Could you use the OP or one of the early posts as a "turn index?" Ideally adding a note next to the groups with the turn each first appeared in?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:14 pm »

ooooohhhh, forgot about waxy coatings, thanx for the catch GWG. What I was going for was a primitive root structure first(as well as fungus)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 25, 2012, 03:13:50 pm »

If brushing and flossing doesn't work then use vinegar in your mouth every 15 min for 2 hours to soften the bone. This will hopefully allow you to get the fish bone out easier.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 25, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »

Creature Modifications

>Increase size of drinlors to 9-10 cm.
>>Have the Drinlors increase capacity of gas chambers.
>>>Have the Drinlors develop the brain to be able to process memory and basic thought just past the level of instinct.
>>>>Have the Drinlors develop the organs further.
>>>>>Have the Drinlors develop 4 three-fingered manipulators.
>>>>>>Modify the Virovores into two species: ones that digest (Arol) and one that attacks viruses and parasites (Zol).
>>>>>>>Have the Arol able to digest Algae into useful proteins for the Drinlors, Arol, and Zol.  Each uses different byproducts.
>>>>>>>>Develop an algae collector that the manipulators place the algae that it grabs, which is then moved to the stomach.

Other
>Stop erosion of the island by waves.
>>Transplatnt some land algae, shallow-water algae, and aeroculums to the island.  (been pretty life-less up until this point.  And I do have the sphere of life)
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 25, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »

Creature Modifications

>Increase size of drinlors to 9-10 cm.
>>Have the Drinlors increase capacity of gas chambers.
>>>Have the Drinlors develop the brain to be able to process memory and basic thought just past the level of instinct.
>>>>Have the Drinlors develop the organs further.
>>>>>Have the Drinlors develop 4 three-fingered manipulators.
>>>>>>Modify the Virovores into two species: ones that digest (Arol) and one that attacks viruses and parasites (Zol).
>>>>>>>Have the Arol able to digest Algae into useful proteins for the Drinlors, Arol, and Zol.  Each uses different byproducts.
>>>>>>>>Develop an algae collector that the manipulators place the algae that it grabs, which is then moved to the stomach.

Other
>Stop erosion of the island by waves.
>>Transplatnt some land algae, shallow-water algae, and aeroculums to the island.  (been pretty life-less up until this point.  And I do have the sphere of life)

*Adds to the Drinlors Marevenators by giving them distinct Heads and... Er... Rear Ends*

*Takes some of the land algae and has them devlop waxy cell walls. This will allow them to start building up. I also specalize some of the colonies cells to undergo Meiosis, creating the first Gametes, and thus the first proper form of sexual reproduction.*
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:25:53 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 25, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »

*Adds to the Drinlors by giving them distinct Heads and... Er... Rear Ends*

What's the point of that?  They are basically jellyfish that fly through the air, utilizing everything that it collects due to it's amount of symbiosis.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 25, 2012, 09:14:04 pm »

What's the point of that?  They are basically jellyfish that fly through the air, utilizing everything that it collects due to it's amount of symbiosis.

Could come in handy at some point (You know, for evolution.). Right now though, I suppose that just means that the waste (And there's bound to be some.) no longer goes out the same way food comes in. And perhaps a little more organazation inside.And nothing about my other action? Really?  :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:26:20 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 25, 2012, 09:22:25 pm »

1)Could come in handy at some point (You know, for evolution.).

2)Right now though, I suppose that just means that the waste (And there's bound to be some.) no longer goes out the same way food comes in. And perhaps a little more organazation inside.

3)And nothing about my other action? Really?  :P

1) That would only provide a target for other species.  Not much use for a jellyfish.

2) Three different species, each utilizing different nutrients.  Not much left over.

3) Any complaint I have would only be better worded by GreatWyrmGold.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 25, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »

1)Could come in handy at some point (You know, for evolution.).

2)Right now though, I suppose that just means that the waste (And there's bound to be some.) no longer goes out the same way food comes in. And perhaps a little more organazation inside.

3)And nothing about my other action? Really?  :P

1) That would only provide a target for other species.  Not much use for a jellyfish.

2) Three different species, each utilizing different nutrients.  Not much left over.

3) Any complaint I have would only be better worded by GreatWyrmGold.

Meh. I'll just do it to the Marevenators then.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28