Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81]

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 94672 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1200 on: December 24, 2023, 10:21:20 am »

Eh, Disney's problem isn't "going woke"; you could take all that stuff out of the movies and they'd still be bad.  Disney's (and others') problem is the stories just aren't that good.

Except it is impossible with the sequel trilogy

The story of the sequel trilogy is bad because of the chosen political theme.  If the original trilogy was about fighting against quasi Nazis, there was a very clear choice of basing the sequel trilogy on fighting against quasi neo-nazis

Problem is... there must be some element of coolness in the villain. No one loves to hate neo-nazies. Especially if you try hard to mock them like The Last Jedi did. If you kill one villain in a lame way, turn another into an incompetent comic relief, and turn the third one into a whiny teenager who can't control his temper, people won't be invested. And it was because of politically motivated writing. They wanted to mock neo-nazis more than they wanted to... write a story.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1201 on: December 24, 2023, 08:04:42 pm »

Somewhere out there there's a stubborn artisan drug dealer refusing to give in to the market economy and go legit
I think that's a common theme of a lot of recent crime dramas like McMafia or the Wire. Savvy criminals trying to steer their organisations in the directions of becoming a franchise business whilst hot blooded young ones or status-oriented old ones can't get out of the crime mindset long after they've made their riches

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 25, 2023, 09:24:58 am »

ISTR a spate of '70s-onwards tales (fictional-but-'true-to-life' scenarios) where either:
a) Big Boss had realised that the 'laundering businesses' were actually being more profitable (than the criminal enterprises that they were supposed to be filtering the ill-gotten gains for), but various lieutenants could not appreciate this, or,
b) One or more lieutenants realised this, but others (especially Big Boss) did not.
...what happened then was generally down to the tone of the series/show itself, I think. From fully retired-from-crime 'gangland chums' living it up at the (largely) legit end of the transformation to a comedy of errors where the house of cards comes tumbling down (much misunderstanding and unwarranted internecine conflict later) except perhaps for some lucky but oblivious stooge sub-manager of an 'outlet' finding themselves elevated lzto the level of (effectively) CEO for the now fully independent commercial operation (somehow untouched by the events surrounding the 'dropping like flies' obliteration of the mob-partnership, a la "The Ladykillers" or similar).

Hard to dredge up actual named references without trawing through loads plot summaries for old programmes like Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased) - though fairly sure that one didn't feature it - or one-off dramas/comedies/thrillers/comedy-drama-thrillers.

(Although I could see it happening in the Star Wars universe.... Loads of new Pizza Hutt franchises next to Boba-Gump Klatooine Paddy Frog Co., as you order a new datapad from Black Amazun and fend off Elan Sleazebaggano trying to hawk you Not-Quite-So-Deathy Vapes.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1203 on: December 27, 2023, 07:48:49 pm »

One of the funniest and saddest things I've read about the changing nature of organised crime was many of the largest organised crime entities moving away from doing their own internal accounting to just running it through big commercial banks who are more than happy to help them move around loads of money

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 28, 2023, 06:11:42 am »

Danske Bank
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81]