Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: I deleted twitter and you should too  (Read 9425 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #345 on: June 08, 2022, 10:28:03 am »

It is blasting Russian agit-prop in Ukrainian canals. The whole "free speech absolutism" side of that affair. Not once I have heard anyone involved in Ukrainian conflict mentionning Starlink, and I follow that conflict closely.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I'll ask for sources on that, especially since Elon was critiqued especially for promoting racist agit-prop with his array.

AFAIK Ukrainians want weapons, not mass medias.

Edit : Ukrainians don't communicate via starlink when they are on the frontline, do they ? Russians were notorious for communicating with bad opsec at the beggining of the war and it contributed to the failure of their their blitz toward Kiev
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 10:46:07 am by Cathar »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 08, 2022, 11:05:04 am »

Ukrainians don't communicate via starlink when they are on the frontline, do they ? Russians were notorious for communicating with bad opsec at the beggining of the war and it contributed to the failure of their their blitz toward Kiev

Sometimes you need your communications to work and don't care much if the source can be detected. And Starlinks works as long as you have a generator\battery to power it. It is also surprisingly hard to jam. For example, it is how surrounded defenders of Mariupol were able to send videos outside.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2022, 03:41:21 pm »

Starlinks are immensely useful on Ukrainian frontlines but I really doubt the practicality of those in civilian use and yes, space junk is a problem.

Actually, this is the Number 1 reason to invest in Musk.
He's build a monopoly in the Space Trade through Starlink and Space Junk. You ain't getting into space without Musk's approval.
This is also the Number 1 reason NOT to invest in Musk. Governments don't like that sort of thing, so he'll eventually get smacked down to size.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2022, 06:47:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure starlink can exist mainly because the US internet service cartel can't easily shut it down like it can land-based competitors, allowing it access to a huge market of consumers that is used to being price-gouged for internet.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:49:36 pm by taat »
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 08, 2022, 08:04:29 pm »

Starlinks are immensely useful on Ukrainian frontlines but I really doubt the practicality of those in civilian use and yes, space junk is a problem.
Starlinks are in a low earth orbit so they automatically fall out of orbit after a time, and are not large enough to pose any risk of hitting the ground.  I'm not sure whether they cause more terrestrial pollution to launch or to self-decommission.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 09, 2022, 03:04:24 am »

So we've found the one thing Musk has done that wasn't complete shit, way to go team!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 09, 2022, 08:36:42 am »

So we've found the one thing Musk has done that wasn't complete shit, way to go team!
And of course, it's Flying Penises.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 10, 2022, 01:28:01 am »

And of course, it's Flying Penises.
It all makes since now he needed to make dickships so he could one day return to Dickplanet!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2022, 09:44:41 am »

I was going to post this a week ago but held off for some reason, sorry to bring it back around. I thought about it, and thought a cheap example of electric car to show it's possible wouldn't be a bad thing to post. Here's one for around $6000 retail (pre-import costs). GM is also involved in it.

I don't see myself ever not owning a car since I live about 30 minutes from town and want noting to do with town life.
And I don't really see wide spread electric car ownership within the next 30 or so years do to the massive cost of the things

https://www.businessinsider.com/gm-hong-guang-mini-ev-tesla-china-covertible-electric-car-2021-4?op=1

I read about it in another article a few months ago that said it's moddable with kits of some sort that can turn it into things like a food truck or some such if I remember correctly, though I may be misremembering.

I wonder if the US's $7500 electric vehicle tax rebate applies to those.

This article says the rebate might apply if they have mustered a Certificate of Conformity (for US road regulations I assume), though this second article is on a different model (and more expensive) by a different manufacturer.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/57683/chinese-electric-car-costing-6-000-approved-for-sale-in-the-u-s/

I think an individual can also import them if they have the vehicle inspected before shipping and follow that whole process that can be found on a .gov website somewhere. There are companies that specialize in that and shipping I think, though I've never inquired so I don't know how much it costs or how it works; I assume pickup would be in California. I also don't know if there are compatibility issues such as the charger. Basically I don't know how it works at all, but I was like "Ooooh a $6000 electric"
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2022, 02:36:48 am »

Shipping something as big as a car would probably bring the price up as high as buying a new regular car, also I've heard things about converting regular cars to electric and from what I've heard it probably end up being cheaper if you already owned the car.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]