Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 315

Author Topic: Terrible Jokes  (Read 646922 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Jokes
« Reply #3015 on: December 29, 2015, 09:55:46 pm »

Why not give the scroll to the dragon, so they all survive?
...Because that ruins the joke?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3016 on: December 29, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »

Because that would be somewhere between 0.25-0.5 on Henderson Scale of Plot Derailment. Fucking players always trying to outwit the GM.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: December 29, 2015, 10:03:50 pm »

You want the negative numbers.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:08 pm »

You want the negative numbers.

You would know :P

Alternatively, that's just what you want, Mr. Railroad.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3019 on: December 29, 2015, 10:10:51 pm »

No, Henderson Scale doesn't depend on wether they're succesful in what they do, it depends on wether they do what DM wants, and if the DM gets them into situation like this when there are three scrolls and four people in party, he totally intends one to almost die or something, beause:
a) He's a dick
b) He wants to see who will be left behind
c) The abandoned person will totally survive and have a chance to get back on their old friends arses, drama ensues

Because, well, that's what a good, dickish DM would do.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: December 30, 2015, 12:13:32 am »

@Kot:Go read the scale again.  Then come back.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Henderson_Scale_of_Plot_Derailment

-0.5 Hendersons   The action undertaken has solved the current plot, and nearly solved the main subplot. It has also had a minutely positive effect on the main plot and the game universe as a whole, outside of your party.
I'd peg giving the scroll to the dragon as about a... -0.35
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:20:26 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: December 30, 2015, 12:28:21 am »

I'd say that Kot is right, given that I don't think any GM would necessarily anticipate a player giving a scroll of featherfall to a flying beast, and would thus would be somewhat thrown by the idea for a moment.

Certainly to the point of being a .25 on the scale from all the players processing the "What the fu- hey that might actually work..." while the GM frantically tries to figure out how to keep things going the way they wanted it to.

'cause obviously having fewer scrolls than party members, they had plans beyond the broken beasty, even if it was just to get rid of a shitty annoying PC.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: December 30, 2015, 12:33:49 am »

Yes, but the effects of that are clearly towards SOLVING plot issues, not derailing the plot.
Sigtext

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3023 on: December 30, 2015, 12:45:01 am »

You still don't get. It's not about solving the plot issues. By your logic, Henderson basically solved the plot issues at -1 Hendersons when he killed Hastur, which isin't a thing. He made full 2 Hendersons because, well, uh, he killed Hastur which shouldn't fucking happen. Goddamnit, by your logic That Guy Destroys Psionics did it, and he's the only one who actually passed two full Hendersons. It's about not doing what the guy running the game wanted or anticipated you to do. While you may argue he wanted it to go this way, it would be fucking hard to anticipate them giving feather fall to a goddamn injurned dragon. After all, it was the DM who, more or less, caused the dragon to be shoot at.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: December 30, 2015, 12:47:46 am »

But I also wouldn't think the GM would expect a -9 on the scale as described. I feel like the negatives are just confusing the whole matter.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3025 on: December 30, 2015, 12:49:37 am »

I don't know anymore really, it's 7 AM, but I still think that giving a featherfall scroll to a dragon is something that Old Man Henderson would do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: December 30, 2015, 12:50:01 am »

Meh.  I have my interpretation.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: December 30, 2015, 12:54:21 am »

But I also wouldn't think the GM would expect a -9 on the scale as described. I feel like the negatives are just confusing the whole matter.

Well... the -9 certainly is absurd, but if you basically consider the Henderson scale as "This is how much you have de-railed the GM's gameplan", so negatives basically mean you're basically doing what the GM wants you to do, in more or less the way they expected it.

Edit: thank you, Kot, for giving me something interesting to read when I should be bloody sleeping :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:56:14 am by hector13 »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: December 30, 2015, 12:55:49 am »

Well, for some value of derail, that wasn't.  It was clearly expected that the feather fall scrolls be used on somebody for this purpose.

Also, no, you're resolving the plot instead of wrecking it in Negative Hendersons, but there's some level of WTFery either way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:58:08 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: December 30, 2015, 01:03:37 am »

What if we gave the dragon a cursed scroll of featherfall?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 315