Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fallout: Rock Collector Playthrough  (Read 13370 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Fallout: Rock Collector Playthrough
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:28:44 am »

Disclaimer: I am a hardened Fallout veteran. I have played every game in the series (besides Tactics and that one shitty console-exclusive spinoff) through several times. I will be doing some unorthodox things in this playthrough. If you notice me playing sub-optimally, please do not tell me what I'm doing wrong. I know what I'm doing, I'm just choosing to disregard my prior knowledge for the purpose of fun. That said, don't hesitate to post things you'd like to see me do and give me critical feedback for things that aren't related to my in-game tactics.

What this is: I will fully be playing through the original (not counting Wasteland) Fallout. While doing this, I will be following a certain stipulation: I will collect as many rocks throughout the game as I possibly can. I will also probably beat the game, but the rock thing is more important. I also plan on doing various silly things and in general not taking the game too seriously. All through my experience I will be documenting my thoughts, decisions, and posting screenshots to accompany them.

So, let's begin play!

Introduction
If you for some insane reason have never played Fallout, you might want to watch the introduction here. In a nutshell: the world's fucked and war never changes. Also vaults. Ron Perlman has a sexy voice.

Character

So here he is:

Mister Fister is a burly martial artist with a strange fascination for absurdly large weapons. He also has a strong throwing arm (so we can get some use out of those rocks!). Despite his brutish appearance, Fister has a decent intellect and good observation skills. He is however not very flexible, and he is also hideously ugly. For added fun, I gave him Bloody Mess, along with Heavy Handed for practicality. Now, the overseer wants to speak with us. Let's go see what he's got to say.

IT BEGINS

*Cutscene*

In a nutshell: those fools at Vault Tec only gave Vault 13 one water chip (the thing that's extremely fragile, but is essential to the survival of everyone in the vault). It's a wonder we lasted this long. Anyway, we have to go out into the brave new world and find another one. The Overseer says Vault 15's a good place to start looking. I bet there's rocks there too, so let's go!

Urg, that stupid repainting issue that happens when you try to run Fallout on a current machine is plaguing me. Basically, the screen turns black every 5 seconds and doesn't repaint the image that's mean to be displayed until I open another screen (such as the character sheet or help screen). I remember this happening the last time I played Fallout, but it happened every 5-10 minutes or so, so it was bearable. But this is completely unplayable. I'll try to work this out and continue playing, but right now it's late and I must rest. Sorry this wasn't much of a first episode, but I hadn't anticipated this and I'm certainly not going to delete the post at this point.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Rock Collector Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:42:30 am »

Is the premise that rocks are both the goal and means of this adventure? I can dig it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:47:39 am »

Living in a vault his whole life our hero has probably never even seen a rock.  He sure must have some stones to go seek them out.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »

4 agility!!!!!!!!

This will be excellent.

Also you get extra internets for links to cut scenes. PTW.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:57 pm »

This will be brecciallent.
FTFY.

Everything is now a gravelanche of puns.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:17 pm »

I changed my monitor settings so that they only display 16 bit colors, and that seems to have helped the black screen of death problem. It still happens, but at a bearable rate. You might see it from time to time in my screenshots, so sorry about that in advance.

Vault 13 Cave
Here's our inventory:

Dear Armok we can do quite a bit of damage with those brass knuckles. The throwing knives should prove useful as ranged weapons too, as I don't plan on using the 10mm.

Fister noticed Ed's corpse to his left, but was ambushed by a large rat before he could loot the poor guy.

Boom! Headshot. It didn't actually die to the headshot, but ssh. A swift follow-up punch to body was all that was needed for it to explode into gore.

Now we can finally collect some loot.

Took the armor piercing rounds, if only as trade goods. We definitely don't need another knife though.

Onwards through the cave!

There are quite a few rocks here, but they're far too heavy to carry with us. Hopefully we'll find some pocket-sized ones soon. Now, continue massacring cave rats!

Well, that was fun. We're half way to level two too! We took a bit of damage from rat bites, but that should heal on its own.

The sunlight! It burns!
Deal with it pussy, nobody ever scored a bitchin collection of rocks with that attitude. Past the horned kangaroo bones and into the wasteland!

And so begins our hike east, to Vault 15. Hopefully we can find a heap of rocks water chip there. Spoiler alert: we won't.

On our way, we spot some sort of village, hidden behind adobe walls. Let's check it out!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:17 am »

Oh, a new Fallout LP? I believe that I shall gladly post to watch!

EDIT: Also, can you spoiler the updates please? Large chunks of screenshots can get annoying at times.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:14:06 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:58:19 am »

What a wonderful Kill Montage...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 05:20:13 pm »

Excellent! Posting to watch, as this has great potential.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:28:29 pm »

Shady Sands

We are greeted by a pretty lady and a gun-toting tough guy at the entrance to Shady Sands, a small agricultural village.

Let's see if this guard can help us.

You're fucking worthless Seth.

Hopefully this chick will be more helpful.

Worthless. All of you. How the Hell have you never heard of rocks before? There's something seriously wrong with these people.

Maybe she at least can help us with our secondary objective.

Well, I'm surprised; that was actually helpful (marginally). So Vault 15 might have a water chip still in it (even though it definitely doesn't). Also she hinted that we'll need a rope or some other means of getting down the broken elevator. Luckily, using my super duper meta-game knowledge, I know just where to find one!

I traded with her too. She didn't have any rocks, but she did have some drugs medicine and some bottle caps. They're more valuable to me than a dull knife and some bullets at any rate.

Tour
I'll give you a brief tour of the (very few) buildings in Shady Sands, along with their rock yields.

Random Insignificant House #1

Rock yield: 0
Bonus loot: a scout's handbook in the bookshelf to the northwest. Might be good to read if I get bored.

Doctor's Office

There were a pair of dirty little children inside Razlo's (the doctor) house/office.

I searched their pockets and found that they had plenty of rocks,

but they refused to trade with me. I won't save-scum steal them, but I'll get them some day. I'll pry the rocks from their cold dead hands if I have to.

I also found a poor man, who happens to be Seth's brother, afflicted with radscorpion poison lying in the back of Razlo's house. Maybe I can find an antidote and cure him, but unless he's got rocks to reward me with I don't really give a shit about him.

Rock Yield: 0 (23 once I beat those damned kids to death)
Bonus loot: Anger and frustration

Town Hall

The village elder, Aradesh lives here with his daughter Tandi and his personal chef.

I decided to poke around in the rooms to the south, looking for treasure. I figure that a man as wealthy and powerful as Aradesh must surely have a great trove of rocks.

I shut the curtains and sneaked towards the bookshelf, and rifled through it. Apparently nobody noticed (or they didn't care that a strange man in a jumpsuit was investigating their bedroom).

SUCCESS!

Please excuse me while I admire my rocks.

Rock Yield: 5
Bonus Loot: None (there was some stuff, but it paled in significance compared to the rocks we found, so I didn't take it).

Guard House

This place is full of dudes, who for some reason have their knives out all the time. Also a dude in a leather jacket, but we'll talk more about him later.

Let's have a look at this bookshelf.

Meh, some .223 rounds and some BBs. Not really useful to us, so I didn't take them. Also I was surrounded by knife-wielding guys with wild crazy eyes, so I didn't want to antagonize them.

Now, let's have a chat with leather jacket guy. Nice jeans bro.

Meet Ian, the first recruitable NPC of the game. I won't be taking him with me right now, but I might come back for him later.

Turns out he's an idiot too. It's probably a good thing I didn't recruit him; a guy who doesn't know what a rock is probably isn't going to be much help on our particular quest.

The Shitter

The communal toilet. Not much to note about it, other than the abhorrent stench.

Random Insignificant House #2

There was a bunch of children (about 7 or so) to the south of this building. I peeked in a few of their pockets and discovered that they too were dirty rock-hoarding delinquents. They'll feel my wrath in time...

Time for more theft and exploitation!

Got another scout handbook and that super secret rope I was talking about.

And that's about it for Shady Sands. There might be a few other shacks/outhouses, and there's a brahmin (two-headed cow) pen and a farm plot to the east. I really didn't miss much though. Now, let's continue our quest for rocks and (less importantly) water!

Time for another rat killing montage!

Reader Feedback

Is the premise that rocks are both the goal and means of this adventure? I can dig it.
Initially I planned on using the rocks as weapons in addition to amassing a huge hoard of them. However, things in Fallout are easily lost beneath the bodies of your enemies or underneath scenery, so in order to make sure I keep as many rocks as possible they are only the goal of the adventure. Also the puns hurt my soul.

Living in a vault his whole life our hero has probably never even seen a rock.  He sure must have some stones to go seek them out.
AGH THE PUNS

4 agility!!!!!!!!

This will be excellent.

Also you get extra internets for links to cut scenes. PTW.
4 Agility really isn't a big deal. I still get 7 action points (as I would with 5). The only downside is that I get a slightly lower AC, which my higher HP makes up for. Although you're right, agility is extremely overpowered in the Fallout and Fallout 2, and I would be far better off with 8-10. It's a bit like speed in DF Adventure mode; if you've got that stat high then you're pretty much always in good shape.

This will be brecciallent.
FTFY.

Everything is now a gravelanche of puns.

Make it stop. It hurts.

Oh, a new Fallout LP? I believe that I shall gladly post to watch!

EDIT: Also, can you spoiler the updates please? Large chunks of screenshots can get annoying at times.
Nope, sorry. I don't like the way stuff looks in spoiler windows and I don't like having to click on them. Also, this is far more than a "new Fallout LP", this is the rocky adventure of a lifetime! Strap yourself in.

What a wonderful Kill Montage...
Thanks man, I try.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:30 pm »

Another rat killing montage?

\m/ Rock on! \m/

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:02 am »

Vault 15 Exploration Pest Control

Rat slaughtering time!

Now that those squeaky bastards are dead, let's head into the vault proper. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pickup-able rocks in the cave.

God damn that door's been through hell.

This place is nearly identical to Vault 13.

Let's check the locker in this airlock (lock-ception?)

Oh goody, more flares!

Don't mind if I do.

That's a big rat.

I ran back a bit to see if I could take it out with my knives without endangering myself.

It wasn't very effective. Although I did get this ridiculous screenshot out of it.

It seems Mister Fister's martial talents lie (unsurprisingly) in his fists.

Now pick up those knives and head further into the rust pile!

Oh good, more rats.

Now that we've cleared the medical bay of vermin, let's see if there's any goodies left over for us.

Score!

Now, to the elevator.

More flares? Just what I wanted.

It would appear the elevator has taken the day off.

Luckily, this isn't my first shit in the woods, so I knew to bring a rope.

Down towards rocky victory we go!

And here we are on the residential level.

...and immediately pestered by vermin. Pig rats this time, so at least there's some variety in the things I'm killing en mass.

Die porky fiends!

And normal fiends too it would seem. Oh and we leveled up!

I'll level up once I can walked a meter without bumping into rats.

That's better! Now, let's choose our skills.

Mostly into unarmed, some into throwing. I'll start leveling Big Guns when we've finished up our business in the northeast, as I don't recall there being any flamethrowers or miniguns around these parts.

I suffered quite a few nips to the shins from those damnable varmints, so let's test out our fancy new healing kit.

I guess it worked out alright. It did take a few hours, and it probably would've been more efficient just to trade it for a stimpak or two and use those.

Found a neat semiautomatic hunting rifle in the bathroom. What it was doing there, I have no idea, but I'll take it to sell anyway.

It's fully loaded too. What the Hell was someone doing with a fully loaded hunting rifle in their bathroom inside a vault?

Well, we'd better get a move on. Those rats don't punch themselves until they explode into bloody chunks after all.

Some bullets for our new rifle! I doubt I'll use them, but they should fetch a fair price.

The rooms to the north seem to have caved in. Hopefully we can scrounge some rocks from the debris.

But first, we must clear them of rats.

More bullets, but no pickup-able rocks. Urg.

Yes, I am going to include a screenshot of every single rat I kill. Every. Single. One.

Neat, a locker. Let's pretend I don't already know exactly what's in it.

Rope and a bitchin' leather jacket! Better put that bitch on.

Fuck yeah.

I wonder how it holds up against rat bites.

Now that the residential level has been sufficiently cleansed of life, let's use your conveniently-placed new rope to descend another level!

Once again we are greeted by the pig rat welcoming committee.

This is what I think of your committee motherfucker.

Aha, another big ass rat! This should break some of the monotony.

I tried using the throwing knives. Once again they were less than effective. Unfortunately, I was only able to recover one of them. The other is either hidden behind a computer or underneath the mole rat's corpse. This is why I decided not to use rocks as thrown weapons.

Screw knives, my trusty brass knuckles never fail me.

Another caved-in area to the east. Once again, a depressingly low number of pickup-able rocks (zero).

At least there's blood-filled experience balloons rats!

Squeak's right, bitch.

30 more armor piercing rounds for the 10mm

Let's check out the supply closet, and kill a pig rat on the way there.

Praise Armok, this place is blessed.

The gun's alright too, but it's not nearly as fun as a bundle of dynamite and a pair of grenades. I'll probably just end up selling it.

Turns out there's no waterchip here. Shocker.

But we did find a crowbar. This makes up for everything.

Man, I feel like Gordon Freeman!

I guess we should finish business with our ratty associates. There's more loot to be had anyway.

But first, we must stimpak. 13 is a bad number for vaults as well as Hit Point values.

That was refreshing. I mean, er, medicinal. Don't do drugs kids.

And after all that we get...

.44 magnum armor piercing rounds. I'll take them to sell.

It seems that the library is the only place uninhabited by rats. They must be pretty ignorant.

I found this nifty book on the library's floor. Luckily, due to the rats' ignorance, it wasn't covered in feces.

Let's ascend our way out of this rock-forsaken hellhole.

Well, at least we're done with most of the game's rat killing. Although we found no rocks, we got some explosives and that nifty leather jacket. We also learned that Vault 15 has no water chip (which we already knew, and is pretty obvious given that the game gives us 150 days to get a water chip and Vault 15 is like a week's travel away from Vault 13 ramble ramble ramble).

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:29:50 am »

I don't know why exactly, but the continued screen shotting of every rat kill cracks me up.

How are you going to handle death?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 03:35:52 am »

I don't know why exactly, but the continued screen shotting of every rat kill cracks me up.

How are you going to handle death?
I dunno. How do you guys think I should? If it's something insignificant I might just pretend it didn't happen and delete screenshots prior to it, then reload my most recent save. My chronic quicksaving make it so that dying really isn't an issue though. I certainly won't be abusing my infinite lives (such as repeatedly doing something until the dice rolls go in my favor and I succeed), but this isn't an iron man playthrough. I am not a save scummer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 12:42:39 pm »

I think this is more about the story than the challenge, so I say just reload if you die. Only mention the death if it's funny.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2 3