Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Construction Helper [Update: "designation-like" support for constructions]  (Read 27536 times)

darkside

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Construction Helper [Update: "designation-like" support for constructions]
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »

Whoa, I just tried the hollow bounding box for my palisade and was like, "what is this i don't even".

I LOVE YOU DUDE

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »

Have you tested making constructions in open space? I haven't gotten that to work.

Also, a request: to be consistent with DF, you should, for example, change "enable/disable box select" to "box select: enabled/disabled". This makes more sense because you can look at the screen and instantly know which box select mode is on without having to think "ok it's the OTHER one".

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:49 pm »

It should work... I assume you hit 'o' to enable open space placement? There is also the restriction that you still have to be somewhere near a real tile, so there's somewhere to "anchor" on to bring up the materials selection menu. The search is an 11x11 square going 4 z-levels deep from the first selection point.

I'll change the wording in the next upload.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »

I can only get it to designate stairs up to one tile into empty space.

Just downloaded the plugins yesterday (1/8/2013).

b-C
Up/Down Stair
Enable Box Select
Enable Open Placement

build stairs from (0,0,0) to (0,0,5) (does nothing)
build stairs from (0,0,5) to (0,0,0) (starts to act like it's going to build 2 stairs (says 2 tiles to fill) but it only designates one)

This is on windows.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:19 am »

This is amazing, thanks! :)

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 07:10:47 am »

I've updated the plugin, no functionality changes, but I've made the toggle options display a bit clearer based on the suggestions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can only get it to designate stairs up to one tile into empty space.
This is on windows.

I didn't realise you were trying to allocate the construction in 3 dimensions. The plugin only allows a 2D selection; one z-level at a time. The main problem with allowing 3D selections is how to make it clear to the player what's happening... and it's inconsistent with the existing DF selections. I had thought about this before though and one thing I considered was to have a numeric field that you can increment, that defines how many levels upwards you want to repeat the current construction (and negative to go down). I'll think about it some more for a future update.

gn0rt0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »

I love this addon. It simply is a must-have.

However, I noticed it's only only in DLL form. Is there a chance we could get a version (.so) that would work on OSX?

This is the only thing that is keeping in windows. If I could get this plugin for OSX, I would switch completely.

falsefaith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 12:37:44 pm »

He has them available here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119575.msg3819869#msg3819869 at the top of the post.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »

Actually that OSX archive is outdated. I'll update it today and edit the post.

gn0rt0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:40 pm »

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Box-Mode construction FTW

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:37 am »

Whenever I actually get around to building my next airship, this tool will be extremely useful for planning and assigning purposes. I ought to try this out. I mean, with my last one, I was building it the hard way with the 10-tile limits, and expansion from supported contacts (making measuring and precision a bitch to deal with). This ought to make building such things, and other structures a crap-ton less stressful/tedious/annoying. Plus, now I can better-manage building projects with this tool, instead of having to find the right time to get things ready and etc.

Of course, this now brings up another idea you could implement: A function to mass-assign the construction tasks, be they to work on, or to suspend them by designating in a similar manner (or pre-assign construction tasks as suspended or not (especially good for when you don't want certain builders to trap themselves when constructing). You could say, regarding the amount of tiles assigned (be it furniture, walls, or floors) to a project, that's alot of hovering over all those tiles and hitting 'S' to temporarily suspend the tasks of all those parts; and I suppose, while we're at it, have that function also clear out the task (deleting the designation) so we can do similar, especially if some of us would maybe want to add a colorful mural in a floor or something, carve out a negative, and only the empty space will be filled with the new material assignment (since it's not overwriting the assigned material previously placed).

EDIT:
Just noticed your furniture planning plugin. Cool stuff you made here so far. Really practical. Haven't used them yet, and I already love them. Can't wait to try them out and continue my other forts.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:43:50 am by Itnetlolor »

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having an issue with open placement.  I am 1 Z above the ground level, and have a central constructed Up/Down staircase, and the staircase actually extends up another level as well (Z+2).  At Z+1, I tried to place floor around the stairs, and upon selecting the second point, it just jumps back to the floor placement screen, waiting for a first point, but not placing the floor I just requested.  I turned ON open placement at this point, and tried again, and got the same issue.  If I turn off Box Select, and use vanilla construction placement, I am Able to place floors along the stairs as expected.

I built some floor using the default vanilla method, and once I had access to the tops of the walls at 0Z (ground level), I was able to build walls and floors using box select as expected. 

In any situation over normal ground, the box select seems to work just fine.

I should note that I am using the development version of DF Hack (pre r3), and recompiled your plugins with that version.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the great plugin!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm I thought I fixed the issue with floors placed around stairs a while ago, but I must have missed a condition. I'll try and replicate that myself but if I can't I'll have to get a save game off you again.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool, good luck! I'm happy to help if I can. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have uploaded my Save, DF Hack Instance I am using, and the Source code I used for the build of automaterial.  Since it was a bit of a custom job, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get you the additional bits.

its uploaded at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7480

The tower is near the center of the ground level.  If you go to its top level, you will see the central up/down stairs.  Any attempt to place floors or walls with box select or open placement box select fail.  Normal walls and floors build correctly. 

Thanks for your help!

Edit: removed link, problem fixed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:48:20 pm by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5