« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »

Yes.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: So I Killed a $20 Bill
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »

There shouldn't be a problem as long as it's still recognisable as money.

Or you could burn it and theoretically make everyone in the USA slightly richer.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:20:33 pm »

There shouldn't be a problem as long as it's still recognisable as money.

Or you could burn it and theoretically make everyone in the USA slightly richer.

While commiting a federal offense!
Oh the fun!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:05 am »

Destroying money is not a crime. Defacing or altering money and then trying to spend it, /is/. That's why you need to get it replaced at the bank.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »

Actually, you can alter money and spend it so long as your alteration is not an attempt to make it be perceived as not being money. Hence why no one got in legal trouble for stack marks or that anti-"In God We Trust" stamp.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »

Hmm, apparently completely burning money IS illegal, but the only result is a small fine and no one has, apparently, ever been charged with it. Probably because it's not constitutional.

And it only applies to bills, not coins, which are perfectly okay to destroy.

Unless you are in Australia. Even getting a stray pen mark on Australian money is a serious crime, and they WILL make you hurt if you try it. The money belongs to the government. All of it. And damaging it in any way means hefty fines and jailtime.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:18:26 pm by GlyphGryph »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:42 pm »

Actually, you can alter money and spend it so long as your alteration is not an attempt to make it be perceived as not being money. Hence why no one got in legal trouble for stack marks or that anti-"In God We Trust" stamp.
True, but I'm still somehow doubtful that anyone will accept money if it looks like swiss cheese.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:47:01 pm »

How swiss-cheesy is it? I know that U.S. banks will exchange ripped bill if you have a part that is larger than half of the bill. I would guess that, unless your brother went really crazy, its exchangeable for an un-punched twenty.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:34:19 am »

Unless you are in Australia. Even getting a stray pen mark on Australian money is a serious crime, and they WILL make you hurt if you try it. The money belongs to the government. All of it. And damaging it in any way means hefty fines and jailtime.

Australia: If the wildlife doesn't get you, the money police will!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:13:54 am »

I'm still somehow doubtful that anyone will accept money if it looks like swiss cheese.

How swiss-cheesy is it? I know that U.S. banks will exchange ripped bill if you have a part that is larger than half of the bill. I would guess that, unless your brother went really crazy, its exchangeable for an un-punched twenty.

I know you asked us not to say 'Google it', but maybe you'd accept an offical government site from a department in charge of safeguarding US money from counterfeiting:  http://www.secretservice.gov/money_damaged.shtml

In general if it's possible to read both of the serial numbers on the bill, any bank is fine for exchanging it for undamaged money.  It's a low stress and fast transaction, though expect them to possibly verify the money is real (also fast and low stress assuming it's real).

If the money is seriously destroyed, as in reduced to small confetti, burned, dissolved, or otherwise almost impossible to tell how many bills of what denomination there were, then you put as much of the destroyed money as possible into a safe container (plastic bags are usually good) and send it to the Department of the Treasury by registered mail along with an explanation of what it was and what happened.  it can take several weeks for them to verify and replace.

In general the banks and treasury are quite willing to replace damaged money.  Their only concern is that they are replacing each bill once and only once - they are very concerned that they do not replace a single bill more than once.  That's why it is ideal to have both serial numbers still readable on the bill; that's the best possible proof that it's just one bill and should be replaced.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 07:44:24 am »

Hmm, apparently completely burning money IS illegal, but the only result is a small fine and no one has, apparently, ever been charged with it. Probably because it's not constitutional.

Similarly, do not paint a moustache on the king of Thailand on their bills. Seriously. You do not want to go to Thai prison over something as small as that.
Love, scriver~

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:50:14 am »

I'm still somehow doubtful that anyone will accept money if it looks like swiss cheese.

I know you asked us not to say 'Google it', but maybe you'd accept an offical government site from a department in charge of safeguarding US money from counterfeiting:  http://www.secretservice.gov/money_damaged.shtml

In general if it's possible to read both of the serial numbers on the bill, any bank is fine for exchanging it for undamaged money.  It's a low stress and fast transaction, though expect them to possibly verify the money is real (also fast and low stress assuming it's real).

If the money is seriously destroyed, as in reduced to small confetti, burned, dissolved, or otherwise almost impossible to tell how many bills of what denomination there were, then you put as much of the destroyed money as possible into a safe container (plastic bags are usually good) and send it to the Department of the Treasury by registered mail along with an explanation of what it was and what happened.  it can take several weeks for them to verify and replace.

In general the banks and treasury are quite willing to replace damaged money.  Their only concern is that they are replacing each bill once and only once - they are very concerned that they do not replace a single bill more than once.  That's why it is ideal to have both serial numbers still readable on the bill; that's the best possible proof that it's just one bill and should be replaced.
Thanks! That's very helpful.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:49 am »

Similarly, do not paint a moustache on the king of Thailand on their bills. Seriously. You do not want to go to Thai prison over something as small as that.
It would be cool to have a global protest by having everyone acquire Thai currency, deface the king, and send it to their government. Reform through trolling.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:17 am »

And so started the third world war. Thailand promptly got stomped. :P

On a serious note, though. Last I heard their respect-the-king laws still had popular support. Serious business, you know.
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5