Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: -  (Read 13839 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: So I Killed a $20 Bill
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »

And it only applies to bills, not coins, which are perfectly okay to destroy.
I thought it was illegal to destroy coins because the metals used to mint them cost more than the actual cost.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »

Only pennies cost more to make than they are worth. If all coins were like that they'd be useless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »

Only pennies cost more to make than they are worth. If all coins were like that they'd be useless.
And that's why pennies are useless  :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »

I thought it was illegal to destroy coins because the metals used to mint them cost more than the actual cost.

Considering a popular summer past-time in the US is dumping coins into the Coin Destructo-matic Picture Maker machines, that seems... unlikely.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:49:12 pm »

Considering a popular summer past-time in the US is dumping coins into the Coin Destructo-matic Picture Maker machines, that seems... unlikely.

I have a penny like that.
It has a lobster on it.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 04:17:47 am »

What is that strange thing ? I am very intrigued now.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:05 am »

I used it once, when I went to the Boston aquarium. You put three quarters and a penny inside, and the machine puts a cool picture on the penny. Mine has a lobster, too.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 10:55:20 am »

How swiss-cheesy is it? I know that U.S. banks will exchange ripped bill if you have a part that is larger than half of the bill.

Hmmm...

Tear (say) three notes/bills into quarters

Get busy with the sticky tape to reconstruct four notes each with just three quarters remaining.  Exchange. ;)

Hmm, apparently completely burning money IS illegal, but the only result is a small fine and no one has, apparently, ever been charged with it.
I reckon that if you have a $100 bill and burn it to ashes, you're probably worse off for approximately $100...

(Let me demonstrate.  Please send your $100 dollar bills to me.  (And a five dollars extra, to try to recoup the commission for changing the dollars to sterling cost of the fuel.))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »

Similarly, do not paint a moustache on the king of Thailand on their bills.
Tempted to sig that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 05:51:14 pm »

businesses have to accept it as legal tender if there is more than 50% left of the bill.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 07:12:30 pm »

businesses have to accept it as legal tender if there is more than 50% left of the bill.

That's totally false.  Businesses are required to refuse any currency that they believe is not real, and to call the police.  If you hand them a mildly damaged bill, expect them to accept it.  A severely damaged bill and they'll ask you to take it to a bank.  A tampered looking bill, like the suggestion above to tape parts of many bills together?  That's very refusable.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 01:09:00 am »

I have a Beaver I got in Portland, myself.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 03:40:47 am »

You americans always have cool little machines like that ! We don't have any of those in France. I'm jealous. I want a beaver too ! :D

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 03:58:03 am »

You americans always have cool little machines like that ! We don't have any of those in France. I'm jealous. I want a beaver too ! :D

For anyone who's really interested in this sort of thing, google press-a-penny to learn more about it, there's ever so many styles of pressed patterns.  I bet if anyone really cared enough, you could contact any of the places which do coin pressing (Disneyland among many others) and ask them to ship you a few pressed coins for a small fee  - I expect it would be extremely cheap.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 04:21:23 am »

I'm pretty sure we have this kind of machines here in France. Or at least in Europe.
I'll try to find my pressed pennies to check where I got them.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5